E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Air bags going off because something is touching back of front seats???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Air bags going off because something is touching back of front seats???

Has anyone heard of this!? I told a co-worker that has a new VW CC and a newborn that I have our rear facing car seat installed in the center position in backseat of the E350 and that I can still get to my driving position (I am 6'4") without any problem except that the canopy on the rear facing seat just touches the back right side of the driver seat. He said he has read/heard that you have to be careful with things touching the back seats on German cars because that can cause air bags to deploy even with slightest impact. Anybody

Disclaimer - my coworker does stay at Holiday Inn Expresses a lot....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
That is total BS. All airbags have to conform to the same standards. To single out German cars is just ridiculous. Hopefully the child in the car seat got the intelligence genes from the other parent. I was just with a friend who has an E350 wagon, helping him bring home some mulch and a couple sacks of concrete. The wagon was packed pretty full. On our way home, a truck pulled out in front of him and he slammed on the brakes (I was following behind him and slammed mine on too). Two of the bags of concrete slammed into the back of the front passenger seat so hard that the passenger front seat-back was broken and would no longer recline. Number of airbags that deployed: 0 The folks that stay at Holiday Inn Express, at least in the commercials, seem to know what they are talking about. Not sure where your co-worker is staying, but, he/she has to be one of the most ill-informed folks out there.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
MCF

E350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
That is total BS. All airbags have to conform to the same standards. To single out German cars is just ridiculous. Hopefully the child in the car seat got the intelligence genes from the other parent. I was just with a friend who has an E350 wagon, helping him bring home some mulch and a couple sacks of concrete. The wagon was packed pretty full. On our way home, a truck pulled out in front of him and he slammed on the brakes (I was following behind him and slammed mine on too). Two of the bags of concrete slammed into the back of the front passenger seat so hard that the passenger front seat-back was broken and would no longer recline. Number of airbags that deployed: 0 The folks that stay at Holiday Inn Express, at least in the commercials, seem to know what they are talking about. Not sure where your co-worker is staying, but, he/she has to be one of the most ill-informed folks out there.
Thanks. That is what I figured. Could not figure out why air bag sensors would be tied to the back of front seats.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Here's where I am a bit confused re the placement of the car seat: Air bags *are* located in the seat backs. And if the safety seat is touching the front seats and the airbags are deployed in an accident, wouldn't there be a good chance the air bags would hit the safety seat?

By comparison, I don't think having the safety seat touching when directly behind the passenger seat would have the same issue. I always put my kid's safety seat behind the passenger seat because, in my old Subaru, the safety seat pushing on the zipper for the air bag caused the zipper to open. Just continued this with my 550.

Maybe the guy remembered center safety seat touching front seats can be dangerous, but got confused about why. I do that all the time, so I have more forgiveness...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM
MCF

E350
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Here's where I am a bit confused re the placement of the car seat: Air bags *are* located in the seat backs. And if the safety seat is touching the front seats and the airbags are deployed in an accident, wouldn't there be a good chance the air bags would hit the safety seat?

By comparison, I don't think having the safety seat touching when directly behind the passenger seat would have the same issue. I always put my kid's safety seat behind the passenger seat because, in my old Subaru, the safety seat pushing on the zipper for the air bag caused the zipper to open. Just continued this with my 550.

Maybe the guy remembered center safety seat touching front seats can be dangerous, but got confused about why. I do that all the time, so I have more forgiveness...
Huh? THere are airbags in the seatbacks of the front seats?? They protect passengers in the back seat!? I don't think that is correct. If so, you could never put a child safety seat in the back seats. I have my positioned in the center position in the back.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by MCF
Huh? THere are airbags in the seatbacks of the front seats?? They protect passengers in the back seat!? I don't think that is correct. If so, you could never put a child safety seat in the back seats. I have my positioned in the center position in the back.
Sorry, had a brain fart. In my Subaru, the seat did pull open (split open) the zipper for the fabric containing the airbag, but the air bag was on the other side. All this stuff is maximally important to you now, but you'll probably be getting everything confused like I am when you move on the later stages!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by MCF
And, oh yes, the side airbags are in, well, the side of the E-class seats. In my old Subaru, they were more towards the rear of driver's and passenger's seats.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM
MCF

E350
From everything I have read and been told, it IS safe to put the child safety seats in the side seats even with side curtain air bags and those air bags 'pop' from rear to front along the doors and do not 'pop' inwards to the passenger compartment.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Was about to say **** MCF...u got one real lemon...

Grats on the kid. Put the car seat in the middle. Safest position statistically and no worries about the airbags. People can even sit next to the car seat in the rear as long as they are not too large.