E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Instrument lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
The only "opthalmic" issue I have with the Mercedes is that for some of it's "target audience"...those over 40....it is difficult to read and select from the many buttons overhead. After 40, one gets to the point where they need some correction to read because the eye muscles don't work quite as well. Folks start to use bifocals, invisible bifocals or reading glasses. You are probably not to that point in life, but bifocals have the "near" vision on the bottom....reading the dash is easy because the lower part of one's glasses are designed to see nearer things. There is, however, no correction at the top of bifocals so those with "older folks eyes" can have great difficulty making out the different pictures or words on the buttons, or even finding the correct button.

I don't have a solution for Mercedes...but it is something that they could probably improve upon...and yes, this is safety because the mbrace call and emergency buttons are up there.

Of course, one could suggest that folks who use reading glasses should not buy mercedes, but I suspect that the mercedes shareholders, dealers and employees would not like the results very much.

Yes, there are design issues with the mercedes that have to do with one's eyes.....the instrument panel lighting is not one of them....

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500 , E350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
My instrument lights do not go on during the day. I have no issues seeing them. In all the reading I have done, I am only aware of two posters anywhere that have this issue. I mentioned my observations on the pictures. They are different, taken from different distances and obviously done to exagerate the darkness. I am not saying it is intentional or not, but, it is what it is to the knowledgable observer. I never attack a person, but, ideas are fair game. I truly believe the issue you and the OP have is directly related to an opthalmic problem. I would get your eyes checked. No sarcasm intended. If not, I would sell the car and get on that you and te OP can feel safe in.
You have a totally different interior. You also do not have P2 package or the Sport version. You don't have the problem so it doesn't exist? Rubbish!
My dealer agrees with my observations & listen carefully they have the same complaint from other clients. Frankly my a friend your postings do offend, I
have 20/20 vision, the photos were not taken to accentuate the problem or from different distance as you suggest. Other people have not brought it up because they use the digital speedo but I need the navigation so can't use digital all the time. Stop trying to be smart & accept that a died in the wool Mercedes user ( I have had over 20' how many have you had?).
I live in the PNW maybe yoeu live in the desert these parameters all make a difference to light levels.
Finally ......goodbye!

Last edited by VitalSpark; 10-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Not at all. I acknowledged that I have the luxury interior and the non-ressessed instruments. I also do not think there will be a fix for this issue. I am well past 40 myself and know I have opthalmic issues, especially involving high constrast situations like the one you describe. I mearly stated that I did not have an issue myself. I also do not think it is a fundamental flaw of the design or this issue would be widely reprted. I also meant what I said with regards to this being a safety issue. If you feel this is a safety issue then I would strongly recommend you just trade the car in on something with a better instrument panel for your eyes. I do not understand your defensive tone. I sympathize with you. Life is really too short to live with a car that is going to **** you off 50% of the time you are behind the wheel. I wish MB would come out with a "fix" for you, but, I am highly doubtful that, without a torrent of complaints, a fix will be forthcoming. Move on.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Not at all. I acknowledged that I have the luxury interior and the non-ressessed instruments. I also do not think there will be a fix for this issue. I am well past 40 myself and know I have opthalmic issues, especially involving high constrast situations like the one you describe. I mearly stated that I did not have an issue myself. I also do not think it is a fundamental flaw of the design or this issue would be widely reprted. I also meant what I said with regards to this being a safety issue. If you feel this is a safety issue then I would strongly recommend you just trade the car in on something with a better instrument panel for your eyes. I do not understand your defensive tone. I sympathize with you. Life is really too short to live with a car that is going to **** you off 50% of the time you are behind the wheel. I wish MB would come out with a "fix" for you, but, I am highly doubtful that, without a torrent of complaints, a fix will be forthcoming. Move on.
The "work around" seems to be to turn on your fog lights when the instrument panel is harder to read. This will turn on the rear fog light (who cares), it will turn off the front LED's and turn on the front parking lights (darn!), but it will also turn on the instrument panel lights. It's not a perfect solution, but it does work and you can turn the instrument panel lights on/off using this approach during the day.

Please stop suggesting that someone just get rid of their car....unless you are willing to help with the financial pain of buying one's way out of a lease.

With a few complaints to the NHTSB, Mercedes might start to think about a simple update that would resolve this issue...and my guess is that it would be almost a trivial wiring fix to move the dash illumination lead from a switched power source to an always on power source. I'd almost bet that you or I could do it just looking at the schematics for the car.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Sl500 , E350
Yes ghstudio it is a dull overcast day in the PNW today & I tried the fog light switch with success. As you say the rear fog is on which does not annoy until its wet & highly reflective.
Thnx again for your PM re the Comand manual. I do have the 'wrong' one! Trying the Dealer first.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Had about 25+ cars in my lifetime and none had instrument lights that came on unless head or parking lights were on. Actually not sure about parking since I never use them.
Modern cars instruments lights are also dimmer than old fashioned ones so they won't interfere with night vision.
If you turn your headlights on in daytime, it is very hard to see the instruments because of the night time dimming.
M-B probably could do better with daytime "illumination" though, even Hyundai does this. Think it is called electroluminescent and is very effective.
I have noticed the red warning lights are really dim in the daytime. Barely notice them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ghstudio
The "work around" seems to be to turn on your fog lights when the instrument panel is harder to read. This will turn on the rear fog light (who cares), it will turn off the front LED's and turn on the front parking lights (darn!), but it will also turn on the instrument panel lights.
Please do not drive around with the rear fog on unnecessarily.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by ghstudio
The "work around" seems to be to turn on your fog lights when the instrument panel is harder to read. This will turn on the rear fog light (who cares), it will turn off the front LED's and turn on the front parking lights (darn!), but it will also turn on the instrument panel lights. It's not a perfect solution, but it does work and you can turn the instrument panel lights on/off using this approach during the day.

Please stop suggesting that someone just get rid of their car....unless you are willing to help with the financial pain of buying one's way out of a lease.

With a few complaints to the NHTSB, Mercedes might start to think about a simple update that would resolve this issue...and my guess is that it would be almost a trivial wiring fix to move the dash illumination lead from a switched power source to an always on power source. I'd almost bet that you or I could do it just looking at the schematics for the car.
Please stop trumping this issue upt to a safety issue. If you or anyone truly believes you have a critical safety issue with ANY vehicle. dump it. Period. Enough said.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by El Cid
Had about 25+ cars in my lifetime and none had instrument lights that came on unless head or parking lights were on.
My understanding is the relatively new but pre 2011 e mercedes had their instrument lights on at all times (I have not seen this myself). I know that my previous Infiniti m37 and my wife's Toyota both have the instrument lights on at all times. Certainly older cars did not have illuminated dashes, but it is more common now.

Modern cars instruments lights are also dimmer than old fashioned ones so they won't interfere with night vision.
Yes, very few drivers I've encountered ever turn their instrument lights down..and they used to be much too bright in their "full on" position.

If you turn your headlights on in daytime, it is very hard to see the instruments because of the night time dimming.
The mercedes and some other cars seem to have another sensor to see if they should turn the navigation screen, etc to night mode. I don't think the Mercedes is tied directly to the light switch (I have to double check this)

M-B probably could do better with daytime "illumination" though, even Hyundai does this. Think it is called electroluminescent and is very effective.
Actually, if mercedes just took what they have and changed the wiring very slightly, they would improve the readability of the instrument panel in more difficult lighting postions

I have noticed the red warning lights are really dim in the daytime. Barely notice them.
Obviously red warning lights should be seen....otherwise why have them. I haven't noticed this (yet).

I also have never trumped this up to be a critical safety issue....although I think that if a driver is trying to read the dash and it takes longer and therefore isn't looking at the road longer, that probably becomes a safety concern.

I agree that one shouldn't drive around with the rear fog light on...but if you want to see the instrument panel and you find it difficult, it's a quick way to do it. One could also turn on the parking lights...sort of driver's choice.

Finally, I have gotten rid of cars that had what I considered critical safety defects...I moved from a 2011 Infiniti M37 to the mercedes e for that reason...the M37 had what I considered a serious transmission problem under some driving conditions.

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-07-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Sl500 , E350
I doubt this is the last word. ImInPA will claim that privilege I bet, but it will be mine. I have been disappointed at the personal tone of most of the replies implying all sorts of blindness, stupidity & suggesting I cannot possibly be right in my opinion because they don't have the issue.
I contribute to forums on photography, Apple products & being Past Predsident of the Institution of Lighting Engineers that subject too but none have the "attitude" that seems to pervade this Forum. Mercedes is a car. The manufacturer in not perfect. Owners are allowed to be critical. Because you have chosen it does not make it better than any other.
Have some tolerance.
So long!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

2012 E350 Cabriolet
2012 e350 Cabriolet

The gauges are very dark during the day time and cannot see where the needle is on the speedometer. All is very dark. I thought I did not set up the system properly.

My 03 Ram, 13 Kia Optima, 06 Jag xj all have daytime dash lights that dim when the headlights go one. I don't understand why MB wouldn't do the same!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by VitalSpark
I doubt this is the last word. ImInPA will claim that privilege I bet, but it will be mine. I have been disappointed at the personal tone of most of the replies implying all sorts of blindness, stupidity & suggesting I cannot possibly be right in my opinion because they don't have the issue.
I contribute to forums on photography, Apple products & being Past Predsident of the Institution of Lighting Engineers that subject too but none have the "attitude" that seems to pervade this Forum. Mercedes is a car. The manufacturer in not perfect. Owners are allowed to be critical. Because you have chosen it does not make it better than any other.
Have some tolerance.
So long!
Whoa. .... I haven't read this thread but this one post tells me a lot. Yes Mercedes is just a car, but MBworld is just a forum of opinions. If you don't like it , simply close your ears /eyes.
But don't stop posting. All views are welcome here. Me too want my Instrument lights to be lit all the time.

Last edited by pamiboy; 06-01-2016 at 11:53 PM.