E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

So after a few months of deliberation I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger o

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
So after a few months of deliberation I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger o

After the long deliberation between awd and gas mileage, I've determined that fuel economy wins out, so I'm looking at the diesel.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to find a car and to work out a deal and have a few final questions:

I don't see any substantial differences between a late 2011 build (with the updated COMAND) and 2012 diesel - is that correct?

Any thoughts on Luxury vs Sport. I hadn't noticed any major differences during back-to-back test drives (on gas 350's, the dealer had only the sport bluetec)

I'm coming from the unreliable car I've ever owned (and I owned two pre-Ford Jaguars and a 1970's Rover.) While I liked the 535, BMW still hasn't fixed the high pressure fuel pump issues and added the catalytic converter killing start/stop before they resolved the sulfur issue here in the US.

BMW has the habit of incorporating bleeding edge technology that may work OK in Europe but doesn't play well with US gas or driving conditions.

I'm looking for a ride that won't be luxo-barge sloppy but shouldn't be jarring over daily drive roads on (probably the better maintained parts) of the DC roads.

Last edited by CEB; 11-14-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I also live in Washington DC (Bethesda) and unless you really MUST have a diesel, I suggest that you reconsider 4MATIC. We've been getting quite a bit of snow in the winter months lately and unless you have another car with AWD or at least FWD you are likely going to find yourself in situations where you will not be able to drive your car due to bad weather.

After last winter I'm sold on 4MATIC and for this area, I would never buy another car without it. My FWD Volvo S80 could not even get me out of my driveway but with 4MATIC not only can I effortlessly get in and out of my driveway but go up and down a hill in my neighborhood that even some SUVs have trouble traversing.

Also DC roads are absolutely horrible and pothole ridden and if I were you I would stay as far away as I can from low profile tires. If you get low profile tires it is likely only a matter of time until you hit a pothole around here and find yourself stranded on the side of the road due to tire or wheel failure.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the standard suspension. In any case good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I also live in Washington DC (Bethesda) and unless you really MUST have a diesel, I suggest that you reconsider 4MATIC. We've been getting quite a bit of snow in the winter months lately and unless you have another car with AWD or at least FWD you are likely going to find yourself in situations where you will not be able to drive your car due to bad weather.

After last winter I'm sold on 4MATIC and for this area, I would never buy another car without it. My FWD Volvo S80 could not even get me out of my driveway but with 4MATIC not only can I effortlessly get in and out of my driveway but go up and down a hill in my neighborhood that even some SUVs have trouble traversing.

Also DC roads are absolutely horrible and pothole ridden and if I were you I would stay as far away as I can from low profile tires. If you get low profile tires it is likely only a matter of time until you hit a pothole around here and find yourself stranded on the side of the road due to tire or wheel failure.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the standard suspension. In any case good luck and enjoy!
Damn you Here I had myself convinced that the diesel with proper winter tires would do me fine in winter and you go bursting my bubble.

Whatever I get will have proper winter tires. Any more nay-sayers?

Thanks. And you're probably right - you're certainly right about the low profile tires.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I live in the area too. I chose 4matic over e63, and I really wanted the e63. Remember Snowmaggedon? My wife made it home in her 4 matic and she is a terrible snow driver.

A couple of things though. My understanding is the mileage advantage comes at highway cruising speeds. Is your commute consistent?

Where I live (Potomac), relatively few gas stations sell diesel, and there aren't many to begin with. When I am gassing up, I've been asked many times of I know a station that sells diesel. Try 270? Dunno. Those are usually packed. You might make sure a diesel station is convenient.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ttoE550
I live in the area too. I chose 4matic over e63, and I really wanted the e63. Remember Snowmaggedon? My wife made it home in her 4 matic and she is a terrible snow driver.

A couple of things though. My understanding is the mileage advantage comes at highway cruising speeds. Is your commute consistent?

Where I live (Potomac), relatively few gas stations sell diesel, and there aren't many to begin with. When I am gassing up, I've been asked many times of I know a station that sells diesel. Try 270? Dunno. Those are usually packed. You might make sure a diesel station is convenient.
All good points. I was in Leesburg on snowmaggedon and made it back to Gaithersburg before the big dump. Had I been in my office then I probably would have been stuck on the GW because of all the idiots who abandoned their cars.

While my basic commute is about 45 minutes in the morning (River to Clara Barton to Whitehurst to SE (I avoid 270 at all costs), the evening commute usually involves the GW. About twice a week I go to Winchester via the Ferry, Leesburg and rt 7. Because I have Maryland plates on my car, I generally set the cruise to 4 over through that 40 mile speed trap. That is a reverse commute so very little traffic.

Three of the 4 gas stations closest to my house have diesel. The gas stations in Potomac continue to be outrageously expensive, so I'd avoid those even if they had diesel - but it is good to know that they couldn't help out in a pinch - especially important since I'm contemplating a move to Potomac.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by CEB
Damn you Here I had myself convinced that the diesel with proper winter tires would do me fine in winter and you go bursting my bubble.

Whatever I get will have proper winter tires. Any more nay-sayers?

Thanks. And you're probably right - you're certainly right about the low profile tires.
Just looking out for you

You might also want to read the following recent thread about a diesel RWD experience on snow. I think winter tires would help but despite the hassle of storing and mounting winter tires I don't think you will have anywhere near the traction and stability in bad weather that you'd get with 4MATIC...

I think in areas where they do a better job of handling and clearing snow it might be different by IMHO RWD and 400 torque is not a good idea for DC.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...xperience.html
Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Unrelated

Originally Posted by CEB
While my basic commute is about 45 minutes in the morning (River to Clara Barton to Whitehurst to SE (I avoid 270 at all costs), the evening commute usually involves the GW.
Unrelated but does your navigation system route you through MacArthur -> Canal Road -> Whitehurst? Mine seems to keep me away from any road that has restricted use during the rush hour... so even on times when it is not one way it never wants to route me through Canal Road and it's a shame because it's a great route to get to Georgetown and the SW waterfront from upper NW DC.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just looking out for you

You might also want to read the following recent thread about a diesel RWD experience on snow. I think winter tires would help but despite the hassle of storing and mounting winter tires I don't think you will have anywhere near the traction and stability in bad weather that you'd get with 4MATIC...

I think in areas where they do a better job of handling and clearing snow it might be different by IMHO RWD and 400 torque is not a good idea for DC.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...xperience.html
Thanks. I hadn't seen that, but the problem there really seemed to be the "no-season" tires.

When people don't want to see the advantage of winter tires, then I usually show them this video.

I certainly appreciate your point and that is what has taken me so long to decide on the diesel. Back to the drawing board?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unrelated but does your navigation system route you through MacArthur -> Canal Road -> Whitehurst? Mine seems to keep me away from any road that has restricted use during the rush hour... so even on times when it is not one way it never wants to route me through Canal Road and it's a shame because it's a great route to get to Georgetown and the SW waterfront from upper NW DC.
You're right, neither my 2002 Audi, my 2006 and 2008 VW's, my current BMW, my wife's last 3 Hondas nor my sister's Acura will route you ontro Canal - they will all try to re-route you continually to MacArthur - very annoying especially if I'm trying to get to a particular street in Georgetown and have to listen to "turn left" or "make a legal /u-turn when possible" the entire way.

Oh, both Sprint and VZW navigation do the same thing.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
I am in Toronto. I too considered a 2012 C63 but went against because I want safety in the snow and opt for an E550 4Matic instead.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by CEB
Thanks. I hadn't seen that, but the problem there really seemed to be the "no-season" tires.

When people don't want to see the advantage of winter tires, then I usually show them this video.

I certainly appreciate your point and that is what has taken me so long to decide on the diesel. Back to the drawing board?
I'm totally sure WT's have their advantages over AS's: ESPECIALLY in the snow, but that video can be made to make it look like you could race slicks in the snow and be fine if that's what they wanted to sell you, you know?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by CEB
After the long deliberation between awd and gas mileage, I've determined that fuel economy wins out, so I'm looking at the diesel.
You won't be sorry going diesel,IMO.Amazing mileage (for a car of its size and comfort),a highway cruising range of something like 750 miles and *effortless* power for merging and passing are just a few things you'd have to look forward to.

Originally Posted by CEB
I don't see any substantial differences between a late 2011 build (with the updated COMAND) and 2012 diesel - is that correct?
That's *my* understanding...can't swear to it,however.

Originally Posted by CEB
Any thoughts on Luxury vs Sport. I hadn't noticed any major differences during back-to-back test drives (on gas 350's, the dealer had only the sport bluetec)
I went "luxury" and am glad I did...largely because of the stories I've read (here and elsewhere) about the harsh ride of the "Sport".

Originally Posted by CEB
I'm coming from the unreliable car I've ever owned (and I owned two pre-Ford Jaguars and a 1970's Rover.) While I liked the 535, BMW still hasn't fixed the high pressure fuel pump issues and added the catalytic converter killing start/stop before they resolved the sulfur issue here in the US.
Reliability,so far,is good with mine.I think Consumer Reports lists the E Class as being at least average in reliability,if not a bit better.

Originally Posted by CEB
I'm looking for a ride that won't be luxo-barge sloppy but shouldn't be jarring over daily drive roads on (probably the better maintained parts) of the DC roads.
I wouldn't call my "Luxury" as a "luxo-barge"....nor would I call the ride "jarring"
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
It's certainly true that not all stations sell diesel.I've seen stats suggesting that somewhere between 30 to 40 percent do.In the 3 years that I've owned a diesel I've never even come *close* to having a fuel crisis.The only time that fuel is any kind of an issue is when you're in the middle of nowhere in an unfamiliar area.You learn where to buy diesel in your hometown and near your office and diesel is easily available on or near *every* Interstate.So with only the most rudimentary amount of forethought you'll have no problems.

(And BTW,there are three diesel stations with 1/2 mile of me and another five or six within two miles)
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by listerone
It's certainly true that not all stations sell diesel.I've seen stats suggesting that somewhere between 30 to 40 percent do.In the 3 years that I've owned a diesel I've never even come *close* to having a fuel crisis.The only time that fuel is any kind of an issue is when you're in the middle of nowhere in an unfamiliar area.You learn where to buy diesel in your hometown and near your office and diesel is easily available on or near *every* Interstate.So with only the most rudimentary amount of forethought you'll have no problems.

(And BTW,there are three diesel stations with 1/2 mile of me and another five or six within two miles)
The 2012 bluetec has three major differences from the late 2011's....there is a very slightly improved transmission which no one seems to have even noticed as an improvement yet...the license plate lights are LED....and all models have the straight LED running lights (std on a P2 luxury in 2011)....that's it.

I bet there are far more diesel stations than you realize. There is a wonderful iphone application called "gas buddy" that not only tells you where you can buy different types of fuel, but it's user updated, so you usually know the price that day. Of course with the diesel, you don't fill up as much. From new, some 1800 miles ago, I get 26 mpg and I've averaged 22 mph. If you do more highway driving, you'll get much better mpg and have to fill up even less.

Winter tires make a TREMENDOUS difference. Both the luxury and the sport come with 17" run flat tires that are not great (I'm being kind) in any season or driving condition.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ghstudio
The 2012 bluetec has three major differences from the late 2011's....there is a very slightly improved transmission which no one seems to have even noticed as an improvement yet...the license plate lights are LED....and all models have the straight LED running lights (std on a P2 luxury in 2011)....that's it.

I bet there are far more diesel stations than you realize. There is a wonderful iphone application called "gas buddy" that not only tells you where you can buy different types of fuel, but it's user updated, so you usually know the price that day. Of course with the diesel, you don't fill up as much. From new, some 1800 miles ago, I get 26 mpg and I've averaged 22 mph. If you do more highway driving, you'll get much better mpg and have to fill up even less.

Winter tires make a TREMENDOUS difference. Both the luxury and the sport come with 17" run flat tires that are not great (I'm being kind) in any season or driving condition.

Hope this helps a little.
It does - thanks!

I'll be discussing the inventory of diesels tonight (P2, parktronic are musts - folding seats a plus)

But gee, I'm not sure I can live without the LED license plate lights. I look at those all the time while I'm driving and I'd hate to have some unknown driver driver behind me thinking to himself "what a cheap SOB, he bought last year's model."
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by CEB
I'll be discussing the inventory of diesels tonight (P2, parktronic are musts - folding seats a plus)
Just curious as to why P2 or Parktronic are essential? The only big differences between P1 (which 99% of stock would have) and P2 is Xenons and keyless go.I've had both in previous cars and must admit Xenons are nice.But the halogens in mine work quite nicely.As for keyless go...IMO,it's a gimmick that I don't miss in the least.

Also,I have Parktronic and find it silly and useless.Perhaps I just haven't learned to use it correctly (distinctly possible) but I'm perfectly capable of parking my own car.One thing you haven't mention which I like a lot is Distronic.Explaining why would take time but I see it as a great safety feature."Active" cruise control,just one of its features,is pretty cool and quite handy.

Just my 2 cents' worth....

Last edited by listerone; 11-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by listerone
Just curious as to why P2 or Parktronic are essential? The only big differences between P1 (which 99% of stock would have) and P2 is Xenons and keyless go.I've had both in previous cars and must admit Xenons are nice.But the halogens in mine work quite nicely.As for keyless go...IMO,it's a gimmick that I don't miss in the least.

Also,I have Parktronic and find it silly and useless.Perhaps I just haven't learned to use it correctly (distinctly possible) but I'm perfectly capable of parking my own car.One thing you haven't mention which I like a lot is Distronic.Explaining why would take time but I see it as a great safety feature."Active" cruise control,just one of its features,is pretty cool and quite handy.

Just my 2 cents' worth....
While keyless GO is nice, the main reason for P2 are the xenons. One of my regular drives involves a deserted country road with large rats (aka deer.) The story from leaving that site is not if you will hit one, but when you will and every bit of light helps.

Parktonic is equally personal. The parking garage at my office usually has cars littered in odd places at the end of the day and navigating that circuit can be quite tricky. More importantly, my garage at home is short and narrow and I need every inch of space.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I think you would be hard pressed to call the Luxury suspension "Luxo-barge-ish". There is a significant difference in the steering systems between the Gas and Diesel E's. They use completely different setups. The diesels feel more isolated and less connectd, but, far more "luxurious". The Gas versions use a system MB calls Direct Steer. The Diesels use a system that MB calls Parameter Steering. The Direct steer weights up more heavily with speed. Try both. That said, I love my bluetec.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM

2015 GL450
I love keyless go. It's nice when you've got a kid and packages to not have to drop something to dig in your pocket. I love xenon too, as well as parktronic for the reason above.

I would not buy a car without distronic+. Especially in Potomac with all the two lane roads, like on your commute. Just set it to the max speed you want to go and then the car adjusts to the traffic. Nice through the cameras. I find it helps keep the road rage down a bit. Also it gets better mileage than your foot, which is your primary choice variable.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImInPA
I think you would be hard pressed to call the Luxury suspension "Luxo-barge-ish". There is a significant difference in the steering systems between the Gas and Diesel E's. They use completely different setups. The diesels feel more isolated and less connectd, but, far more "luxurious". The Gas versions use a system MB calls Direct Steer. The Diesels use a system that MB calls Parameter Steering. The Direct steer weights up more heavily with speed. Try both. That said, I love my bluetec.
Good point. I'll drive them back to back.

I love keyless go. It's nice when you've got a kid and packages to not have to drop something to dig in your pocket. I love xenon too, as well as parktronic for the reason above.

I would not buy a car without distronic+. Especially in Potomac with all the two lane roads, like on your commute. Just set it to the max speed you want to go and then the car adjusts to the traffic. Nice through the cameras. I find it helps keep the road rage down a bit. Also it gets better mileage than your foot, which is your primary choice variable.
I never considered Distronic because it sounded like a toy I'd be unlikely to use, but your description causes me to reconsider.

I think I'll get a listing of cars that meet the basic requirements and come back here with a listing of extra options to see if anyone has any advice.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by CEB

I never considered Distronic because it sounded like a toy I'd be unlikely to use, but your description causes me to reconsider.
I frequently drive the Piney Meeting House - River - Falls - MacArthur route. I always have my Distronic+ on the entire route. I drive it quite a bit during non rush hour, and Distronic+ prevents me from getting carried away on Piney Meeting House, where the police have been ticketing lately. 30 mph? Really?

Distronic+ is a bit tougher on smooth flowing heavy traffic with two lanes going the same direction (like on Clara Barton) because it leaves too much space between cars -- cars pulling in front of you cause you to slow, which lets more cars in, etc. This is true on GW Parkway too. But you couldn't use regular cruise control anyway, so it's not a disadvantage.

But if the traffic is heavy stop-and-go, which is more often the case on Clara Barton, it is really great. More time to check your mirrors without worrying traffic will suddenly stop.

And Distronic+ will give you blind spot assist. Don't get me started on that! It saved the life of a motorcyclist accelerating inside my blind spot while I was accelerating to enter 270 -- he was trying to block me like idiots around here are wont to do. BSA told me he was there 3x but I could not find him until I braked.

Anyway, I use D+ for at least 50% of my driving, probably much more.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

I frequently drive the Piney Meeting House - River - Falls - MacArthur route. I always have my Distronic+ on the entire route. I drive it quite a bit during non rush hour, and Distronic+ prevents me from getting carried away on Piney Meeting House, where the police have been ticketing lately. 30 mph? Really?

Distronic+ is a bit tougher on smooth flowing heavy traffic with two lanes going the same direction (like on Clara Barton) because it leaves too much space between cars -- cars pulling in front of you cause you to slow, which lets more cars in, etc. This is true on GW Parkway too. But you couldn't use regular cruise control anyway, so it's not a disadvantage.

But if the traffic is heavy stop-and-go, which is more often the case on Clara Barton, it is really great. More time to check your mirrors without worrying traffic will suddenly stop.

And Distronic+ will give you blind spot assist. Don't get me started on that! It saved the life of a motorcyclist accelerating inside my blind spot while I was accelerating to enter 270 -- he was trying to block me like idiots around here are wont to do. BSA told me he was there 3x but I could not find him until I braked.

Anyway, I use D+ for at least 50% of my driving, probably much more.
Good points. I've always thought of distronic as a disadvantage like you explained on the CW or the two lane part of Clara Barton.

I hadn't seen cops on Piney Meetinghouse yet so thanks for the heads up.

An update on my buying process.

There only appear to be three diesels out there with P2 and Parktonic, two sold and the only available on in black, so that's out.

Accordingly, I'm "stuck" with a 4matic. I wasn't looking for distronic but found a couple of P2, Parktronic and folding seats including a local Sport, pano, AMG wheels in white/almond. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything out there in leather - just MB taxi.

I'll have to check if there is anything out there has Distronic instead of folding seats - it sounds like it may be more useful.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by CEB

I hadn't seen cops on Piney Meetinghouse yet so thanks for the heads up.
Saw them twice -- as recent as last week -- at the bottom of the big hill on the section between Glen and River Roads. Also once on the flat part just after the twisties on the other section.

I think they come out just after rush hour (9:30 am or so), so don't speed if you are late to work!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Saw them twice -- as recent as last week -- at the bottom of the big hill on the section between Glen and River Roads. Also once on the flat part just after the twisties on the other section.

I think they come out just after rush hour (9:30 am or so), so don't speed if you are late to work!
Thanks. I think everybody speeds there. I saw the cops tonight on River right past Piney Meetinghouse in that cutout on the right before you get to Admiral's Way. They love to sit there too on holidays.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by CEB
Accordingly, I'm "stuck" with a 4matic.
...better than being stuck in snow in a couple of months

Originally Posted by CEB
I wasn't looking for distronic but found a couple of P2, Parktronic and folding seats including a local Sport, pano, AMG wheels in white/almond. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything out there in leather - just MB taxi.

I'll have to check if there is anything out there has Distronic instead of folding seats - it sounds like it may be more useful.
Now that I've steered you towards 4MATIC, may I now interest you in a E550 with 4MATIC? It comes with leather that you want

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So after a few months of deliberation I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger o