Steering Wheel Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Steering Wheel Care

I want to avoid getting a super shiny black steering wheel, so I have been washing my hands every time I have to drive somewhere to eliminate the oils on my hand. I also wipe down the premium leather steering wheel with a damp cloth a few times a week to keep it matte. However, I know that water dries out leather, but I really want a matte finish. There are some wrinkles developing because the leather is super matte and dry, so should I use a conditioner or will this just make the steering wheel shiny and therefore, defeat my efforts for the past 4 months of keeping it matte?

I just want to keep the steering wheel matte and conditioned at the same time, so there are no wrinkles from the leather being too dry.

How do you guys take care of your steering wheel?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
interesting question: I also think about the cleanliness of my hands before driving, although it isn't always possible.......to get them clean, I have resorted to my daughters
wipes before, LOL....
I have wiped it down with a damp cloth before, but have not really done more than that...
our hands get a lot of stuff on them we sometimes forget.....
good luck and good post
Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
No matter what you do, the wheel will ultimately turn shiny because it wears. Even people who wear gloves find their wheels turning shiny.

You can use a quality leather cleaner to remove dirt and a conditioner to add nourishment. A good quality product wont add shine. Try something like Leatherique, but remember to follow instructions and remember that less product is better than more product.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
Get wood leather steering wheel

I always get wood leather steering wheel in my cars. So I like BMWs but don't buy it because they do not have wood steering wheel.

Even in my Porsche 911, I have wood leather steering wheel. Then I try not to grab the leather and grab just wood. This helps alot on your problem.

My 6 years old S550 steering wheel looks brand new due to this habit.

Shiny steering wheel or sometimes sticky steering wheel is not acceptable to me so this was my solution. HaHa.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I clean and condition my steering wheel with Lexol products (the 2 step cleaner then conditioner, not the 3 in 1). They leave no residue I can feel and do not affect the leather's appearance.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Yep I like the wood wheel also,,just not too many out there,,and Im a long time Lexol products user,,very interesting question.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Once per year, I smother the wheel in leatherique, and wrap a plastic bag around it, leave the car in the sun for several hours and remove the excess with pristine clean. Wheel comes out like new every time, soft and matte.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Due to this Thread I just put some Lexol Conditioner wipe on mine.

I usually just wipe it with a damp chamois whenever I wash my car, and it still looks great (brand new car basically, though). My product of choice for EVERYTHING in the interior is AEROSPACE 303, however. I HIGHLY recommend that, it's kind of like a too good to be true product, IMO.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
Due to this Thread I just put some Lexol Conditioner wipe on mine.

I usually just wipe it with a damp chamois whenever I wash my car, and it still looks great (brand new car basically, though). My product of choice for EVERYTHING in the interior is AEROSPACE 303, however. I HIGHLY recommend that, it's kind of like a too good to be true product, IMO.
Be careful with Lexol on Nappa (died through) leather, Bro, it gets tacky and can darken and shine the leather. The Lexol leather cleaner, the pH neutral, is really good though, for cleaning anything.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Damn!!!! Thanks for that info, though I guess too late now. Is that effect exclusive to only Nappa Leather?

I'm gonna stick to Aerospace 303 from now on.

It's definitely got a "stickier" and darker feel/look right now, but I'm assuming that will pass? I.e, can the results of using Lexol be somewhat everlasting?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by K-A
Damn!!!! Thanks for that info, though I guess too late now. Is that effect exclusive to only Nappa Leather?

I'm gonna stick to Aerospace 303 from now on.

It's definitely got a "stickier" and darker feel/look right now, but I'm assuming that will pass? I.e, can the results of using Lexol be somewhat everlasting?
Aerospace 303 (while a fantastic product for interior hard plastics) isn't really suited for leathers.

You can use Leatherique to get your steering wheel as close as possible to new. Leather Masters works well too, but most of the over-the-counter products will leave shiny bits.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Will the effects of Lexol on the Nappa ruin or in any way diminish from its original feel/look? I'd hate for that to happen.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
Will the effects of Lexol on the Nappa ruin or in any way diminish from its original feel/look? I'd hate for that to happen.
The lexol cleaner should remove it. I use cotton cloths with warm water. Leatherique is pretty nice on the wheel, just needs some heat so I can only really treat/clean during the spring/summer months. The key to keep it from getting shiny is to keep it clean. The abrasion from dust/dirt against the wheelskin causes the shine. I'm assuming as a guy, you're not going "greasy" like women do, their steering wheels are always a mess.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Leatherique is the way to go. Lexol is a Pepboy's special and is basically just fancy armoral. The conditioner makes leather super slippery and really does not do anything to replenish the natural oils in the leather.

If you use pristineclean every couple weeks when you wash the car it will never get shinny. Its not really "wear" that causes the shine but more of embedded oils from your hands. Its the same reason your wallet gets shinny with age.

Once every three to six months use the leather conditioner and it should be good to go.

I have a 2004 SL55 with 52k miles and the wheels has zero shine and zero wear. It is possible to duplicate this with a bit of work.

16k miles on my W212 E350 and again zero shine.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That sucks. Apparently Lexol is the only leather conditioner/product "recommended" by M-B. Not so sure if that's still the case but I've read that.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by newyorker
I always get wood leather steering wheel in my cars. So I like BMWs but don't buy it because they do not have wood steering wheel.

Even in my Porsche 911, I have wood leather steering wheel. Then I try not to grab the leather and grab just wood. This helps alot on your problem.

Shiny steering wheel or sometimes sticky steering wheel is not acceptable to me so this was my solution. HaHa.
+1 The wood steering makes the interior much classier and it looks great also especially with the brown wood when it reflects the ambient lighting at night.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by K-A
That sucks. Apparently Lexol is the only leather conditioner/product "recommended" by M-B. Not so sure if that's still the case but I've read that.
This is also a good product combination, I used on my M coupe seats for years.

It also mentions lexol doing damage to nappa leather.

http://www.leatherz.com/Merchant5/me...arCareProducts
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks. Oh well, I'll just have to live with it and hope that one time won't deter from the Nappa's original values. I did some of my own research, and it does seem like Lexol basically says that they shouldn't be used on Nappa, though not specifically (don't use on "glove soft" leather), and some Message Boards were on the Topic with most Members saying to avoid Lexol on Nappa, however many users use/used it and said they had good results.... So I'll just bet/hope on that and avoid it for the future I guess.

About the wood. I think a wood/leather wheel looks amazing usually, however, I find the idea of only touching the "wood" part and avoiding the leather to be a terrible injustice to your hands and senses. Kind of like leaving the plastic on your furniture. I avoid wood wheels because they get oily, and feel cheap in comparison to leather. The "wood" is actually hard-plastic, so your hands are touching simply hard, and sometimes exaggeratedly hot or cold plastic. Wheels with a leather or leather like texture are far more functionally pleasing to your skin.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by K-A
The "wood" is actually hard-plastic, so your hands are touching simply hard, and sometimes exaggeratedly hot or cold plastic. Wheels with a leather or leather like texture are far more functionally pleasing to your skin.
Wait, are you saying the "wood" in the "wooden wheels" are not "wood?"
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

They are, but just like the wood on the dash/doors/etc., it's a wood veneer inside plastic coating (you can't actually put your hand on the naked wood). I.e, it looks great, and makes for eye candy, but on a touch/functionality aspect, the wood aspect doesn't change it from it being a hard piece of plastic that you put your hands on.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 PM

E350 BT
I wouldn't worry about the small amount of lexol on the wheel, it can be washed off with a pH neutral cleaner without harm. I'm like you, I like it to remain its satin-like look and feel.

Lexol does make some handy wipes that are just the pH neutral cleaner, you can simply wipe the wheel either before and after it's been used, that would keep it pristine.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1119-Lea...413177&sr=8-12
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by amaycg
I want to avoid getting a super shiny black steering wheel, so I have been washing my hands every time I have to drive somewhere to eliminate the oils on my hand.

I really want a matte finish...so should I use a conditioner or will this just make the steering wheel shiny and therefore, defeat my efforts for the past 4 months of keeping it matte?

I just want to keep the steering wheel matte and conditioned at the same time.

How do you guys take care of your steering wheel?
This is a very good question. I came across this thread while searching for this very solution; glad other people think like me!!

Originally Posted by CEB
You can use a quality leather cleaner to remove dirt and a conditioner to add nourishment. A good quality product wont add shine. Try something like Leatherique, but remember to follow instructions and remember that less product is better than more product.
Originally Posted by thekurgan
Once per year, I smother the wheel in leatherique, and wrap a plastic bag around it, leave the car in the sun for several hours and remove the excess with pristine clean. Wheel comes out like new every time, soft and matte.
Originally Posted by CEB
You can use Leatherique to get your steering wheel as close as possible to new. Leather Masters works well too, but most of the over-the-counter products will leave shiny bits.
The lexol cleaner should remove it. I use cotton cloths with warm water. Leatherique is pretty nice on the wheel, just needs some heat so I can only really treat/clean during the spring/summer months. The key to keep it from getting shiny is to keep it clean.
Looks like the "Leatherique" is highly recommended, and is everyone's go-to product for steering wheels...I will look for this is Amazon or in AutoZone/Advance Auto.

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Leatherique is the way to go. Lexol is a Pepboy's special and is basically just fancy armoral. The conditioner makes leather super slippery and really does not do anything to replenish the natural oils in the leather.

If you use pristineclean every couple weeks when you wash the car it will never get shinny. Its not really "wear" that causes the shine but more of embedded oils from your hands. Its the same reason your wallet gets shinny with age.

Once every three to six months use the leather conditioner and it should be good to go.
Wait, I am confused. Are you saying to use Leatherique, or PristineClean, or both??

I wouldn't worry about the small amount of lexol on the wheel, it can be washed off with a pH neutral cleaner without harm. I'm like you, I like it to remain its satin-like look and feel.

Lexol does make some handy wipes that are just the pH neutral cleaner, you can simply wipe the wheel either before and after it's been used, that would keep it pristine.
Thanks for the hint. What's the exact name of the product, sorry the link didn't work? Are you saying to keep the steering wheel leather clean and maintain the factory matte look, all I have to do is use the pH neutral cleaner?

Last edited by tresean1; 04-18-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
^^^the users you quoted have not been on here in a long time, hopefully someone chimes in...good luck!

Last edited by Airmousam; 04-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Leather/Wood SW

Originally Posted by newyorker

Ironically, I almost never touch the wood part of my leather & wood SW. Always use the leather so I don't get fingerprints and smudges on the wood part.
I use Lexol Leather Conditioner and Protector. SW leather is not shiny, but mine is gray so that may factor into it.