E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Trading Up!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Trading Up!!

It's been quite a while since I've posted but I need your help with a decision. I am finally looking to trade up to an 2012 E class from my 2006 ML. Went to the dealer today and am all ready to buy but just not sure weather to go with the Luxury or Sport model sedan. The sport model has larger wheels but the tires are thinner and I'm a little concerned about pot holes. Other than that I've always wanted a wood steering wheel and have a lux model with one on hold but am having second thought about maybe going with the sport model. Anyone who wants to chime in, please feel free. Hopefully you can help me make up my mind. I plan on picking the car up on Monday. They have both options in stock in the right colors. I just need to decide. Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
try ask yourself a question, if you get the luxury, will you think about the sport later on? if so, get the sport. if not, stick w/luxury as you've mentioned more likes on luxury than dislikes.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
try ask yourself a question, if you get the luxury, will you think about the sport later on? if so, get the sport. if not, stick w/luxury as you've mentioned more likes on luxury than dislikes.
That's a good question and thanks for your help. I like the idea of the 18" wheels in the sport but am a little concerned about blowing tires out. Also been reading how bumpy the ride is. I only drove the Lux yesterday. Should have driven the sport but didn't have the time. It's tough to tell on a 2 minute test drive anyhow. Also concerned about bottoming out on curbs etc. Think this should be a concern? Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
This is a big decision and you owe it to yourself to go back and test drive both back to back for more than a few miles. The dealer knows you are serious so that shouldn't be a problem...if it is you need to find a new dealer.

The sport suspension is a little firmer but not harsh by any means. The luxury is more of a smooth ride so it comes down to preference there. The E is so refined IMHO that either is a good choice. Comes down to your driving preferences. If you like to play once is a while on the curves...the sport is for you. If you want to pamper yourself in luxury...you know what to do.

The concerns around wheels / tires is real in your neck of the woods. Recall reading several threads about blow-out stories on the board last winter / spring. That said, I think it comes down to personal awareness of potholes while driving. The curb factor...well that is another personal awareness factor. You might get a few more wheel scuffs but I don't think you will damage the tires under normal conditions.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I for one would not own a vehicle with those very low profile tires. Reasons, potholes, ride quality durability and life of the tire. Thats why in 2010 I purchased a luxury and have not looked back since. Love the car. The tires alone were enough of a reason for me to make that decision
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
The two suspensions do feel very different. It is a large purchase decision so I would kick the tires real hard. The luxury suspension does make the e "feel" like a bigger car, more like what you might expect from an s class. The sport suspension is most certainly the tighter more responsive ride. I share your fear of the 18 inch rims since you live in the NYC area. You WILL be much more at risk of blow outs and bent rims with the 18 inch rims. So it comes down to how much being stuck on the side of the road waiting for road side assistance on a moderately more frequent basis might bother you versus a more sporty ride. Take the test drive and decide. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by paulybagadonuts
That's a good question and thanks for your help. I like the idea of the 18" wheels in the sport but am a little concerned about blowing tires out. Also been reading how bumpy the ride is. I only drove the Lux yesterday. Should have driven the sport but didn't have the time. It's tough to tell on a 2 minute test drive anyhow. Also concerned about bottoming out on curbs etc. Think this should be a concern? Thanks
i think you've answered your question. you should go with lux but like what other members said, you should go back and test drive both when you have more time. i've never driven the lux but the sport isn't "firm" by all mean.

as for the potholes and bumpy ride. i was thinking about getting 20" but pretty sure it'll be well too bumpy for my taste. didn't want to get 19" as mine is 18" which doesn't make a whole lot of different on appearance. so i stick with 18" and planning to paint them black like hyper did. long story short, if you are worry about the bumpy ride and blowing tires out, go with the lux. cars sometimes will create stresses at some point when they have problems but why get the sport and create some unnecessary stress and worrisome if you concern so much about the ride and road conditions?

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Porsche 911 Carrera,07 S550. 2010 E350 4matic, 05 Honda Accord V6.
go with Luxury

I had S550 with AMG package and I had to replace all 4 wheels after 3 years of pot hole in NYC. So when we bought my wife's E - Class, we went with Luxury with wood steering. So far we had few pothole hits and no damage.

Pot holes usally comes up around spring, so try to avoid drive in the night during spring season. You can't see them well.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
MCF

E350
I have a Luxury and even though I see Sports and prefer the look much better, I can tell you when I am in the car I am so glad I have the luxury. We have HORRIBLE roads in Houston and the luxury suspension makes the bumps disappear. In addition, the smoother suspension will keep the jars out of the cabin that will result in rattles. I think the perfect compromise would be a luxury suspension with 18" wheels. Just my opinion and you can search my user name and see that I had regrets about getting the luxury for a while but I think in the long run will be much happier with the luxury. Some sport owners do complain that on rough roads the ride is extremely jarring and have some rattles as a result.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I hear everyone talking about the NYC potholes! are there really that many?????
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 AM

2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
I lived in NY for over 40 yrs and never had this problem with tires and rims blowing out from pot holes. The last 12 yrs of driving from LI to SI via the belt parkway was always a joy come spring time...lol I've had low profile 18's with no problems.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 AM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by captj3
I lived in NY for over 40 yrs and never had this problem with tires and rims blowing out from pot holes. The last 12 yrs of driving from LI to SI via the belt parkway was always a joy come spring time...lol I've had low profile 18's with no problems.
You are very lucky so far. I grew up in Cedarhurst so I know the Belt. It is up there with the worst. I hope for your sake that the rule of mean reversion doesn't catch up with you. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 AM

2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
The belt sucks when things start to thaw. Now I'm in Florida and the one thing I don't worry about anymore are potholes. I won't even discuss the BQE,Cross Island,Cross Bronx etc... But I guess it more driving habit than anything else. I've hit some hum dingers in my time.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Thank You

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I hear everyone talking about the NYC potholes! are there really that many?????
I live about 20 mils from NYC and rarely go down. This area has pretty good roads. Lord knows we pay enough taxes. In any case you have ALL been very helpful in making my mind up. I just got off the phone with the Dealer and pulled the trigger on the Lux. After all I think the E is a luxury car. If and when I buy a sports car I'll know what to do. Thank you all for your help. This forum is priceless.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Whatever you get unless you live someplace with impeccably maintained roads stay away from low profile tires. Mine were failing so bad that I dumped them all and I'll never in my life have those ridiculous fragile lilies in any car I drive. The #1 expectation of a tire should be to get you from A to B and handle an occasional pothole without turning into a pumpkin. Tires/wheels should be tough.

Being stranded on the road with a broken wheel because the piece of garbage could not handle a small pothole that hundreds of other cars drive through is just plain dumb and god forbid it happens along a busy highway or other unsafe area. Not to mention the cost and time in getting it replaced knowing well it is only a matter of time until the next bent or broken wheel.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 01-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Whatever you get unless you live someplace with impeccably maintained roads stay away from low profile tires. Mine were failing so bad that I dumped them all and I'll never in my life have those ridiculous fragile lilies in any car I drive. The #1 expectation of a tire should be to get you from A to B and handle an occasional pothole without turning into a pumpkin. Tires should be tough.

Being stranded on the road with a broken wheel because the piece of garbage could not handle a small pothole that hundreds of other cars drive through is just plain dumb and god forbid it happens along a busy highway or other unsafe area. Not to mention the cost and time in getting it replaced knowing well it is only a matter of time until the next bent or broken wheel.
I would tend to agree. I consider it almost criminal that the auto manufacturers push 18 inch rims on consumers for the sake of a fashion statement in areas with winter beaten up roads. I replaced the 18 inch rims on my e550 two months after I bought the car after having a double blowout 1/4 mile from the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel last February with. The 17's no doubt give up some degree of handling but not enough to risk getting stuck on the side of the road way more often with 18's. A co-worker of mine has an s class with low profile tires and he has had 4-5 blowouts because of potholes commuting from NYC to NJ. Regards. Ned
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by ngerstman
I would tend to agree. I consider it almost criminal that the auto manufacturers push 18 inch rims on consumers for the sake of a fashion statement in areas with winter beaten up roads. I replaced the 18 inch rims on my e550 two months after I bought the car after having a double blowout 1/4 mile from the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel last February with. The 17's no doubt give up some degree of handling but not enough to risk getting stuck on the side of the road way more often with 18's. A co-worker of mine has an s class with low profile tires and he has had 4-5 blowouts because of potholes commuting from NYC to NJ. Regards. Ned
That's just it though... I don't even get the supposed fashion aspect of the low profile tires. The low profile tires might look nice installed in a smaller car but in a larger car IMHO they look out of place and I much rather prefer the tough, aggressive, and substantial look of normal tires.

I do like the look of nice allow wheels but I prefer the tire profile to be the normal ratio and more than anything I want the wheels/tires to look like they will deliver me safely to my destination without breaking down.

I actually think auto manufacturers are pushing these ridiculous low profile wheels because they can sell more OEM wheels at exorbitant prices because they know the wheels are going to break or get damaged. I can't think of any other reason why they would swap a perfectly fine set of wheels with a set that is much more like to get damaged and leave you stranded. The real crime here is that most typical car buyers don't have a clue. I surely didn't but I've learned my lesson. If I see a car in a lot I like with low profile tires that I intend to buy I will purchase it only under the condition they swap them out with regular wheels.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I like the look of some tire as well, and especially on a Luxury Car, I find the "all rim with a rubber band" look to be a bit cheap looking and unsubstantial myself. However, we have to remember that in this "day and age", 18" wheels are the choice of "giving it a decently sized wheel look while keeping some tire", lol. M-B still puts 18's on their Sport Package cars, which shows that M-B are still keeping their form+function motif up, relatively speaking. Most cars nowadays with Sport Packages have 19's or 20's easy, which must be another contributing factor as to why M-B's Sport Packaged cars still hold the comfort factor up over their Sport Packaged peers.... although unfortunately for whatever reasons the W212 Sport is STILL exceedingly harsh on rough roads, especially compared with how sublime it is over all other roads.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by ngerstman
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
That's just it though... I don't even get the supposed fashion aspect of the low profile tires. The low profile tires might look nice installed in a smaller car but in a larger car IMHO they look out of place and I much rather prefer the tough, aggressive, and substantial look of normal tires.

I do like the look of nice allow wheels but I prefer the tire profile to be the normal ratio and more than anything I want the wheels/tires to look like they will deliver me safely to my destination without breaking down.

I actually think auto manufacturers are pushing these ridiculous low profile wheels because they can sell more OEM wheels at exorbitant prices because they know the wheels are going to break or get damaged. I can't think of any other reason why they would swap a perfectly fine set of wheels with a set that is much more like to get damaged and leave you stranded. The real crime here is that most typical car buyers don't have a clue. I surely didn't but I've learned my lesson. If I see a car in a lot I like with low profile tires that I intend to buy I will purchase it only under the condition they swap them out with regular wheels.
Originally Posted by K-A
I like the look of some tire as well, and especially on a Luxury Car, I find the "all rim with a rubber band" look to be a bit cheap looking and unsubstantial myself. However, we have to remember that in this "day and age", 18" wheels are the choice of "giving it a decently sized wheel look while keeping some tire", lol. M-B still puts 18's on their Sport Package cars, which shows that M-B are still keeping their form+function motif up, relatively speaking. Most cars nowadays with Sport Packages have 19's or 20's easy, which must be another contributing factor as to why M-B's Sport Packaged cars still hold the comfort factor up over their Sport Packaged peers.... although unfortunately for whatever reasons the W212 Sport is STILL exceedingly harsh on rough roads, especially compared with how sublime it is over all other roads.
It isn't necessarily the size of the wheel that dictates the harshness but the amount of sidewall.

As wheel sizes have been growing foe OE equipment, so has overall tire diameter and - for the most part - the amount of sidewall has stayed constant or has even grown.

While the Audi A8 for example, uses a 19" wheel as standard, it has about the same sidewall as my 335 with 18 inch wheels.

Most of this is form over function as about a 25" diameter tire on a 17" wheel is generally considered (these days) as the ideal handling tire for the 3 series. The 25" diameter is the the stock tire size.

The tire size on the A8 is about 28.5" so a 19" comes pretty close (by a 1/4 inch) to those "ideal" specs.

We have to remember that wider and bigger isn't always better for performance but may bring styling advantages - the same way that lowering a car may actually deteriorate the handling of a car but may "look better."