E wagon experience??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Cool E wagon experience??

Hi,
anyone here have a 2012 E wagon and care to share your experience??

I'm seriously thinking about it instead of the ML. I drive a 2005 ML 500 SE and like it a lot but the E wagon seems to have a lot of things goings for it.

The new V6 gasser seems like it is a sweet motor and that 27 MPG hwy rating is right up there in ML BlueTec territory.
E wagon BlueTec would be the ultimate highway cruiser......give it to the US Mercedes!
E rear cargo area with seats folded is 57.4 cft vs about 70 for ML.

If you drive an E wagon, especially a 2012, care to share your experience?
Pictures would be wonderful too.

Bob in Mn

Last edited by MinnBobber; 01-04-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 AM
CLU

Porsche
Mine is a 2011. I was actually looking for an Audio Avant. I was very surprised to learn that Audi stopped importing them to the US. So when I saw the W212 Wagon I knew right away that was the one to get. I love it. I just felt I got more for the money. It rides really nice. It has the extra 2 seats when I need it. My wife has a SUV and so we didn't feel we needed another big car. However, the wagon cargo area is quite big and I put on a ski box it has all the space we need. So I'm very happy with the decision. I use it daily and the extra space is handy picking up kids with all their sports gear.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 AM

2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
We have one on order...

...and should be picking it up in March. We have an X5 that has been nothing but trouble the last year of ownership (it's a 2009) so we have been looking for something new. We live in Germany (contractors) and we have seen the wagon everywhere. Once my wife saw the wagon at the dealership and we test drove the newer engine we were sold. We have two young ones and we found the space to be more practical than the SUV. The kids can get in and out of the car easier and the trunk is lower for easier access. There's actually a higher clearance when the trunk door is up versus our X5. Without having possession of it now, the only things I don't like are the fact that the side mirrors aren't power retractable and there are no parking sensors. These should be standard on a $60K car.

Ultimately I wanted the AMG wagon...however price and the fact it would be my wife's car kept me away from that. Why should she have the 500+hp rocket on the autobahn?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2012 e350 wagon
We ordered ours in September, and picked it up last week.

2012, dark blue, ash interior, luxury model, p2, leather.

We chose it to replace my wife's 9-year-old audi a4 avant. We wanted an a6 avant, but they stopped shipping them for 2012. Interesting that one of the other posters also did that -- I wonder how many audi is pushing to MB.

So far, it's proving to be amazing. A lot of power, and the mileage is very good for something this big and this quick. It is very elegant looking, if not as attractive as audi wagons. We are also very pleased to have chosen p2 for the headlights (incredible, including the auto adjusting of high beams). Finally, very happy we chose luxury as its ride is still firm enough and handling reasonably tight (for a family car), but not at all jarring. Local dealer talked about anecdotes of big issues with sports -- tire bubbles and front air dams...but I don't know how much of that was really just to make us happy with the decision for luxury. It's also nice that the luxury interior has the light headliner -- in our case it is also ash, and the car is very bright and airy feeling.

I'm 6'4, and people can comfortably sit behind me, so the extra length one class up in size is very useful. And, around here at least, it's a rare car. Two people have commented on how they didn't know you could even get them as wagons. Apparently 3 folks tried to buy ours when it was awaiting us at the dealer.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by adrien
We ordered ours in September, and picked it up last week.

2012, dark blue, ash interior, luxury model, p2, leather.

We chose it to replace my wife's 9-year-old audi a4 avant. We wanted an a6 avant, but they stopped shipping them for 2012. Interesting that one of the other posters also did that -- I wonder how many audi is pushing to MB.

So far, it's proving to be amazing. A lot of power, and the mileage is very good for something this big and this quick. It is very elegant looking, if not as attractive as audi wagons. We are also very pleased to have chosen p2 for the headlights (incredible, including the auto adjusting of high beams). Finally, very happy we chose luxury as its ride is still firm enough and handling reasonably tight (for a family car), but not at all jarring. Local dealer talked about anecdotes of big issues with sports -- tire bubbles and front air dams...but I don't know how much of that was really just to make us happy with the decision for luxury. It's also nice that the luxury interior has the light headliner -- in our case it is also ash, and the car is very bright and airy feeling.

I'm 6'4, and people can comfortably sit behind me, so the extra length one class up in size is very useful. And, around here at least, it's a rare car. Two people have commented on how they didn't know you could even get them as wagons. Apparently 3 folks tried to buy ours when it was awaiting us at the dealer.
Hi Adrien,

Let me guess... you live in Long Island, New York?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM

2012 e350 wagon
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Hi Adrien,

Let me guess... you live in Long Island, New York?

nope. just south of DC.

But we will drive up to Canada in this machine, and the roads will not be kind to sport packages.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

'12 ML350
Interesting thread as I drive a GL450 and lease is up in a few months.

I like the GL a lot but realized that 1) we don't need another big car as my wife has a Sienna for the kids and long trips (have NEVER used the 3rd row seats) and 2) we're not in Dubai so the amount of premium petrol it drinks makes me cringe!

So we're considering the new ML as the alternative but I'm also pushing for the E-class estate as I've always liked the looks and practicality of this segment - now left unoccupied other than by Mercedes-Benz thanks to the shortsighted marketing plans for BMW and Audi here in the U.S.

My folks have an '03 W211 E500 4matic estate that has served them quite well and has less than 50,000 miles on the odometer, so we have a good reference for it.

My wife, however, is less than enamored with the styling and prefers the saloon is we were to get the E-class. We'll see what happens...

And to a previous poster, yes the E63 version would be a hoot - I had a W211 E63 AMG before my GL450 and found it a frustrating car to have here in the metro NY/northern NJ area with the awful roads, high traffic, and the enthusiastic local constabulary enforcing these conservative speed limits!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
nope. just south of DC.

But we will drive up to Canada in this machine, and the roads will not be kind to sport packages.
OK, because there was a dealer in Long Island who had a wagon just like that last week and it was picked up by the new owner. Anyways, I have a new E350 wagon and so far the "sport" suspension is great on the freeway. Hums more than my older E-wagon but its not so bad. Been driving around NYC for a couple of days and it can take the occassional pothole. I have 17" rims though. It will be interesting after a few years when the car will start having all the croaks and groans.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

2012 e350 wagon
OK, because there was a dealer in Long Island who had a wagon just like that last week and it was picked up by the new owner. Anyways, I have a new E350 wagon and so far the "sport" suspension is great on the freeway. Hums more than my older E-wagon but its not so bad. Been driving around NYC for a couple of days and it can take the occassional pothole. I have 17" rims though. It will be interesting after a few years when the car will start having all the croaks and groans.
Huh. I was told it was a very rare car -- between luxury, p2 and the color combo.

On the packages -- my lovely wife does not like cars that feel "nervous", and roads we sometimes drive (especially in PA and in Quebec) can be wheel-busting. The big thing that turned me to luxury, though, was the front air dam. My business partner has a diesel sport package, and he is constantly worrying about pulling into parking spots with concrete curbs at the end. Just didn't want to go there.

Don't get me wrong -- the sports are pretty, and if it were just mine I'd consider it much more. But I like the way the luxury looks and drives, and my wife far prefers the interior.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM

2012 e350 wagon
Originally Posted by rkao
Interesting thread as I drive a GL450 and lease is up in a few months.

I like the GL a lot but realized that 1) we don't need another big car as my wife has a Sienna for the kids and long trips (have NEVER used the 3rd row seats) and 2) we're not in Dubai so the amount of premium petrol it drinks makes me cringe!

So we're considering the new ML as the alternative but I'm also pushing for the E-class estate as I've always liked the looks and practicality of this segment - now left unoccupied other than by Mercedes-Benz thanks to the shortsighted marketing plans for BMW and Audi here in the U.S.

My folks have an '03 W211 E500 4matic estate that has served them quite well and has less than 50,000 miles on the odometer, so we have a good reference for it.

My wife, however, is less than enamored with the styling and prefers the saloon is we were to get the E-class. We'll see what happens...

And to a previous poster, yes the E63 version would be a hoot - I had a W211 E63 AMG before my GL450 and found it a frustrating car to have here in the metro NY/northern NJ area with the awful roads, high traffic, and the enthusiastic local constabulary enforcing these conservative speed limits!
Interesting. I personally never considered either an SUV or a minivan, primarily because of center of gravity and fuel mileage. The E wagon has a ton of room, and to my eye looks much better. The real difference, though, is in the handling. It's not a nice truck with lots of electronics and other technology fighting physics. It's one of the best sedans in the world with a back on it. In terms of driving dynamics, it just doesn't compare. In addition to amazing passive safety, that also brings active safety into the equation, especially on highways, and that is worthwhile for me. And it's made in Germany.

I think one of the reasons they are so rare -- beyond the US stigma on wagons, especially premium wagons -- is that they are apparently up to $10k more expensive than a comparable ML. Add their rarity (so a dealer either doesn't have any to see / test, or they have only one or two that may not be set up with the options wanted), and you end up with a rare choice.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 PM

It is the wagon rarity here in the US that makes it appealing for me. Everybody has an sedan, an SUV or a minivan. Wagons are scarce and rare is a German wagon with 300 horsepower engines in 4 wheel drive.

I love my wagons.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM

2012 e350 wagon
Crappy iPhone picture...but someone asked.

Note new luxury wheels (I didn't think I would like them, but do) and the dark blue with ash. Also, because we have p2, even though it is luxury it has the 3-bar grill.
Attached Thumbnails E wagon experience??-humphrey1.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
Minnbobber,
I live in Lakeville and have 2011 E350 Estate sport. I had two Mls and did not like the SUV size. Looked at Audi and did not like them.
It has been a year and 21,000 miles since I took delivery and I love the car. It can carry anything and the ride is perfect for me. Hwy MPG is 25.
Purchased it a Maplewood Imports and the service is excellent.
I will purchase another when this one reaches 100,000 miles.
I receive many compliments on the car.
cheers
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM

E wagon

Skyking,
Thanks. There are so few wagons, it is difficult to get feedback on them. And difficult to see in the flesh. Sears MB had a nice 2012 but it went out the door hours before I got there.

Do you happen to be a cyclist? Will a road bike fit in the back, with both wheels on, lying on its side (on a blanket)? I'm guessing it will.

25 mpg would be great AND the 2012 remarkably upped the HP by 30+ and the hwy mpg rating from 2011 24 mpg to 2012 27 mpg. As I said before, that's only one tick off ML Bluetec hwy rating.

Minor nitpick. Does your 2011 have the rear-facing child seats? Wish that was not standard on 2012s as I'd MUCH RATHER have those spaces they fold down into as extra storage. I rarely have a 2nd person so need for 7 seats.

Is the V6 motor smooth? My ML 500 V8 is reaaally smooth.

Bob in W. St. Paul
Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM

If you fold the second row of seats, then a full bike will fit in, without having to remove the wheels. But you will have to fold the second row of seats otherwise if you want to just put the bike in the boot, then you will have to remove the wheels. But why put the bike in the boot when you can get a nice roof rack and put four bikes on racks in your roof. I do that all the time and I get a lot of stares in the freeway. A white MB Wagon with road and triathlon bikes on its roof is a beautiful sight.

I once bought a refrigerator (still in a box) and slid it into the wagon and was still able to close the rear hatch. Nothing is longer and bigger than the wagon rear. It is bigger than the ML and the GL.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM

2012 e350 wagon
Cool

Originally Posted by MinnBobber
Skyking,
Thanks. There are so few wagons, it is difficult to get feedback on them. And difficult to see in the flesh. Sears MB had a nice 2012 but it went out the door hours before I got there.

Do you happen to be a cyclist? Will a road bike fit in the back, with both wheels on, lying on its side (on a blanket)? I'm guessing it will.

25 mpg would be great AND the 2012 remarkably upped the HP by 30+ and the hwy mpg rating from 2011 24 mpg to 2012 27 mpg. As I said before, that's only one tick off ML Bluetec hwy rating.

Minor nitpick. Does your 2011 have the rear-facing child seats? Wish that was not standard on 2012s as I'd MUCH RATHER have those spaces they fold down into as extra storage. I rarely have a 2nd person so need for 7 seats.

Is the V6 motor smooth? My ML 500 V8 is reaaally smooth.

Bob in W. St. Paul
I have 2 road bikes, a fixed gear, and a mountain bike. I haven't tried, but can tell you just by looking that the MB is a good 30% bigger than our Subaru back there, so it will easily swallow a bike with its wheels on if the seats are down (and I ride a 59 frame).

The v6 is very smooth -- maybe not v8 smooth, but close. And the 2012 does it without balance shafts as it's a different angle.

Unfortunately all US cars have the kid seats in the far back. They are very useful if you ever carry kiddos, and we leave them up because they leave a useful well (for the kid's feet) that is exactly the right size to hold a half-dozen grocery bags. If not, they look like they could be removed altogether easily enough (the bottom just lifts out for spare tire access). I'm thinking you could order the non-seat parts from Europe and put them in easily enough. Let me know if you want pictures.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM

2012 e350 wagon
If you fold the second row of seats, then a full bike will fit in, without having to remove the wheels. But you will have to fold the second row of seats otherwise if you want to just put the bike in the boot, then you will have to remove the wheels. But why put the bike in the boot when you can get a nice roof rack and put four bikes on racks in your roof. I do that all the time and I get a lot of stares in the freeway. A white MB Wagon with road and triathlon bikes on its roof is a beautiful sight.

I once bought a refrigerator (still in a box) and slid it into the wagon and was still able to close the rear hatch. Nothing is longer and bigger than the wagon rear. It is bigger than the ML and the GL.
Couldn't agree more. Nothing like a German wagon with a nice rack and some serious machines on the roof. Amazingly practical, and you keep the inside nice and clean.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Crappy iPhone picture...but someone asked.

Note new luxury wheels (I didn't think I would like them, but do) and the dark blue with ash. Also, because we have p2, even though it is luxury it has the 3-bar grill.
Actually, the reason you have the 3 bar grille on your wagon is because you have the Driver Assistance Package w/Distronic Plus (that's the black solid plate in the grill for the adaptive cruise control). Any wagon w/ P2 and no Driver Assistance Package would have the 4 bar grille.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 PM

2012 e350 wagon
Originally Posted by amaycg
Actually, the reason you have the 3 bar grille on your wagon is because you have the Driver Assistance Package w/Distronic Plus (that's the black solid plate in the grill for the adaptive cruise control). Any wagon w/ P2 and no Driver Assistance Package would have the 4 bar grille.
I sit corrected...that is indeed the case. BTW, Distronic is very cool.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM

thanks

Thanks for the input.

My bike needs to go inside. It's 54 cm carbon/ti combo so I don't want to leave it on roof rack or hitch rack. Too easy of a target to disappear.
I know I would sometime forget about the roof rack too, and my garage would turn it into a 24 cm

Adrien, that was news to me that Euro E wagons don't have the kid seats-thanks. That would make it much easier if proper parts existed. I was thinking one would have to "unbolt" seat bottoms and backs and leave covers----if that's even possible.

I should probably test drive the 2012 E sedan as ride/handling should be very comparable to the wagon.

For some reason, I find the wagon much more attractive than the sedan....
I hope one of our 3 local MB dealers gets a 2012 in to check out.
Bob

Adrien, yes pictures of the kid seats would be nice. No hurry. With seats up/in place and something that shows how big the storage space would be if seats weren't attached to lids. Big area? Would it hold a lot of misc bike things like shoes, helmet, small cooler, raingear, etc? Did someone say spare sits at bottom? Thanks.
I always have trouble posting pics on forums so if you cannot, I'm at bsmutka@gmail.com

Last edited by MinnBobber; 01-12-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM

2013 E350 4M Wagon & 2013 C350 4M Sedan
I have a 2012 E350 wagon with Canadian launch package. I absolutely love this car. It is very rare, sporty, fuel efficient and has tons of room. I highly reccomend it.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 AM

2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
Grille

Originally Posted by amaycg
I thought the sport package would get the 3 bar grille even without distronic? We ordered a sport wagon with p2 and I think it would look odd without the 3 bar.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Mtl20v
I have a 2012 E350 wagon with Canadian launch package. I absolutely love this car. It is very rare, sporty, fuel efficient and has tons of room. I highly reccomend it.

What does the Canadian launch package include? I know the 2012 has 302 bhp without turbocharging. Sweet looking car in white.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Your car looks great in the front with the pano roof. Too bad they did not continue that look all the way to the back of the car... In Sedans it is an amazing/sporty look for a white or silver vehicle.

Originally Posted by Mtl20v

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
Originally Posted by MinnBobber
I hope one of our 3 local MB dealers gets a 2012 in to check out.
Bob
I always have trouble posting pics on forums so if you cannot, I'm at bsmutka@gmail.com
When I was looking for my wagon at the three dealers, none of them had one to test drive. I specked one out and then had the dealers look for one in the U.S. Could not find one the way I wanted so I ordered one with a dealer that had an early available slot and it took about three months to get here. I had the three dealers bidding on the deal.
I never drove one before mine arrived.
As stated before, I love the car and will buy one again when I need it.
Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E wagon experience??