E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Interior Upkeep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I initially thought that the MBtex was wearing down due to microfiber, but when I went to the dealership, even new cars are made with a different material on that particular bolster (its still MBtex, but on new cars its a bit harder). I looked at some preowned GL's with the same mileage; I saw the same shiny, hard pattern on all seats. I doubt they were all car enthusiasts who used microfiber on a daily/weekly basis. That wear was caused by entering/exiting the vehicle, not the microfiber. I use the microfiber more on the passenger seats anyways, since the kids eat and what not and spill crumbs. Even though I used the microfiber more on the passenger seat, the passenger seat shows no signs of wear.

The driver's side bolster is a mystery, but if I used(d) microfiber more on the passenger seat, I doubt microfiber was the cause of the sheen of the driver's seat.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
Here is a photo (albeit, not very good) of the worn driver-side seat cushion. You can see that the MB-tex actually started to loosen like a natural material (leather) would. It was not as taut as the other parts of the seat. The outside bolster also started to stretch out. And the worn areas began to get a bit shinier. Perhaps, MB intends MB-tex to wear like leather and take on a natural-looking patina.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Upkeep-driver-seat-cushion.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
I've used a cotton terry cloth on the p-leather seats in mine. I use the MB leather cleaner. So far no polished look to the seats but. . . I only have about 18k on the clock and have not had to spend much time cleaning.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by dbtk
Here is a photo (albeit, not very good) of the worn driver-side seat cushion. You can see that the MB-tex actually started to loosen like a natural material (leather) would. It was not as taut as the other parts of the seat. The outside bolster also started to stretch out. And the worn areas began to get a bit shinier. Perhaps, MB intends MB-tex to wear like leather and take on a natural-looking patina.
That looks terrible. Kills the one of the large purposes of even having MB-Tex.

I wonder if there's a difference with the GL MB-Tex? They are made in America VS the E-Class in Germany. Could very well be a different supplier of the plastics or something.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
K-A,

Not sure if the MB-tex quality differs by manufacturing location. Nonetheless, a few folks thought mine was leather because of the way it wore. It had a more organic look. No worries now--I traded it in for a CLS Launch with premium leather seats (and MB-tex trim--ugh). But now, all the cars have leather interiors...the Porsches having the best among them (other than the 600, of course). Nothing like full premium Napa leather on seats, doors, dash, rear shelf, everywhere inside the P-cars. It's like living in a cow! ;P