E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Continental ContiProContact Tires SUCK!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CEB
This is a typical kneejerk reaction based on not understanding how tires work.

The Ford explorer came predominantly with Firestone tires. Because most owners had Firestone tires, they were blamed even though subsequent tests showed that the tire brand was irrelevant.

The BMW 5 series with the sport package comes with Goodyear LS tires. Those owners will tell you that the Goodyears are the worst tires ever because they bubble.

The 2008 R32 was fitted primarily with Dunlop tires. Because of bubbling issues, those owners will tell you that Dunlop tires are the worst tires ever.

My 2003 Audi RS6 came with Michelin and Dunlop tires. Because they bubbled, those owners will tell you that Michelin and Dunlop tires are the worst ever.

In all these cases, the problem is the low profile tires and crappy roads in the US. Other tires will have the same problem but since one tire brand usually prevalent, that brand takes all the blame.
I understand and appreciate where you are coming from, but in this instance it just doesn't apply. We have had their trash tires and we have swapped for real, quality tires - the difference is extremely clear and no bubbling. The Conti junk bubble. The others dont. Going on 3 cars now which were 'tested' between Conti and real tires. Plus the more I research it the more I find it to be true of their tires. I am sure there are other junk tires that other manufacturers make which have similar issues too. Besides that, the ContiProContacts have miserable traction compared to the (CHEAPER) Goodyear Eagles I replaced them with in my most recent vehicle.

As for the firestone / ford issue - the tires were certainly at fault -- to an extent. Obviously the design of the SUV and its high center of gravity led to the propensity to roll over. The faulty tires were just as important to causing the problem though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesto...re_controversy

Last edited by acr2001; 01-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
This thread title caught my eye as I'm rather unimpressed with the conti's that are on my 2011 E550. Coming from a 2005 E500 sport that I had since new and for the past number of years I have always used Michelin Pilot sport tires (summer - I live in So Cal.). I've only had the new car for several weeks but I sense much more roll-over than I recall with the pilot sports on my E500. And yes, I have the car set on the sport suspension setting.
Irrespective of bubbling and cracking issues that others have posted, I will certainly replace the conti's when they're due and go with pilot sports based on my previous and favorable experiences. I can't say that I ever recall looking forward so much to buying a set of new tires.
And, thanks to this forum, I will routinely inspect the conti's that are on the car and keep an eye out for any apparent deformities.
I think what MB saved by using these tires, has/will cost them many times over in performance reviews of this car.

Last edited by tjkaz; 01-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
just something to think about...

im driving a 2011 C300 loaner...and its got Michelin tires on its stock 17s....WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by acr2001
I understand and appreciate where you are coming from, but in this instance it just doesn't apply. We have had their trash tires and we have swapped for real, quality tires - the difference is extremely clear and no bubbling. The Conti junk bubble. The others dont. Going on 3 cars now which were 'tested' between Conti and real tires. Plus the more I research it the more I find it to be true of their tires. I am sure there are other junk tires that other manufacturers make which have similar issues too. Besides that, the ContiProContacts have miserable traction compared to the (CHEAPER) Goodyear Eagles I replaced them with in my most recent vehicle.

As for the firestone / ford issue - the tires were certainly at fault -- to an extent. Obviously the design of the SUV and its high center of gravity led to the propensity to roll over. The faulty tires were just as important to causing the problem though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesto...re_controversy
And this is WIKI is just plain wrong. There are a series of articles that are more accurate that I'll dig up but the Firestone tires (while separating) weren't the issue.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Ugh just had my tire replaced. Dealer showed me a 2mm hole in the sidewall of the tire. The hole wasn't even on the sidewall facing the curb, in fact, the hole was so close to the rim that if I hit the tire on the curb, this part of the tire wouldn't even get touched. It's the part of the tire that is horizontal to the street and is really close to the metal rim. That's when I knew Conti Pro Contact tires suck...$400 gone and I just noticed that the same tire in a bigger size on my s550 has a chunk of sidewall missing. Dealer won't replace it even though I got the tires less than a year ago because the tire is not leaking air. How can a 2 mm hole leak so much air while my S with a chunk of sidewall missing has been totally fine? I hate these tires!!!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by amaycg
Ugh just had my tire replaced. Dealer showed me a 2mm hole in the sidewall of the tire. The hole wasn't even on the sidewall facing the curb, in fact, the hole was so close to the rim that if I hit the tire on the curb, this part of the tire wouldn't even get touched. It's the part of the tire that is horizontal to the street and is really close to the metal rim. That's when I knew Conti Pro Contact tires suck...$400 gone and I just noticed that the same tire in a bigger size on my s550 has a chunk of sidewall missing. Dealer won't replace it even though I got the tires less than a year ago because the tire is not leaking air. How can a 2 mm hole leak so much air while my S with a chunk of sidewall missing has been totally fine? I hate these tires!!!!!
Go to a tire dealer that is a rep for the tire brand you own. If you have road hazard (Contis and some Dunlops come with it) then they'll take care of you.