COMMAND woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 p2/amg sport
COMMAND woes

OK 2010 E350 with P2 /AMG sport pkgs.

Love, LOVE LOVE the car but it has been plagued with 2 issues.

1st was constant rattles in the driver side B-pillar and back-most section of headliner near rear glass. many attempts to fix but NO better.

2nd and most concerning was COMMAND system. 1st was intermittent backup camera. usually when humid/wet. often resolved with a restart.

solution #1 reprogram command- still problem

solution #2 replace command-ordered in Nov? showed up last week after service guy found a unit in Houston.---New problems now I get "Device not available" error on sat radio and no audio on others.

solution #3 awaiting NEWEST hardware (seems there have been a total of 3 revisions to the hardware alone since my 2010 was built and most of those in the last few months.)

so currently it is a crap-shoot when I get into the car do I have radio, audio, homelink, will my BT work when I get a call will the audio suddenly come back on as I drive down the road, (usually at full volume). will the keyless-GO recognize my key? all have and do happen.

My local MB dealer has been awesome and has really made this a painless as possible but we are all frustrated.

I'm writing this mostly to see if anyone else has had or heard of people having these issues. I am working to get out of this car and into another (even the same year) but since I'm almost paid off, it sucks to have to start over with payments on another car that I wouldn't get except for faulty equipment.

anyone?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Trade it in with the same dealer and tell them you have not been happy withe problems and that you should get a good trade in price for a 2012 E350. Make sure you get a car with all the options you always wanted. The newer engine (might not be noticeable) is worth the change.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I feel your pain. Mine has been trouble free during the first 30k miles, not just the COMMAND, but, the entire car. It sounds like a software issue to me. Try doing a hard reboot of the system. With the system turned on, press and hold the powerbutton in until the system shuts off and reboots. Sometimes that clears things up. Also, if you are getting the "Device not found" message and you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, do a hard reset on it. I have found that when I do see the device not found message, it is always with my iPod Classic. I disconnect it from the COMMAND and do a hard reset on it and everything is fine.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM

E350 p2/amg sport
waiting to hear back on their best offer.
offered my $42k for mine but after payoff ($20K) Still leaves me with $40K double what I owe now. not sure I am happy with that since it was an equipment issue, not me wanting another newer car.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM

E350 p2/amg sport
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I feel your pain. Mine has been trouble free during the first 30k miles, not just the COMMAND, but, the entire car. It sounds like a software issue to me. Try doing a hard reboot of the system. With the system turned on, press and hold the powerbutton in until the system shuts off and reboots. Sometimes that clears things up. Also, if you are getting the "Device not found" message and you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, do a hard reset on it. I have found that when I do see the device not found message, it is always with my iPod Classic. I disconnect it from the COMMAND and do a hard reset on it and everything is fine.
well the device not found was the Sirius so I can't do that. dealer says known issue with THIS hardware version. so I swapped from a SW issue to a HW issue. not sure WHAT to do now.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
At least it is a known issue, so the fix is either known, or will be forthcoming. Just be patient. I did not realize it was a known issue. Just relax. MB will fix it.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
Well more news today.
parts guy called to say that officially the part will be here in 8-10 weeks. but unofficially he knows that it will likely just be a "recycled" part from someone else with command problems.

he said that since the Tsunami production has lagged behind and they have not been able to keep pace with new car production much less repairs and they are now forbidden to order any parts w/o pre-approval. command units/transmissions are some of the worst of the problems. he said the COMMAND units all suffer from the same intermittent issues. They get pulled from a car sent for some quality check which they often pass because the issue is intermittent and doesn't throw a problem code. so the defective unit gets sent back out as good and placed into someone car. and the cycle repeats.

He is not optimistic that reliable parts are coming in the near future.
basically he said if we wait LONG enough eventually it will get fixed but in confidence he said not to hold my breath.

so now I'm wondering if I get a new one to ensure a reliable part or step away from MB for a while and get something entirely different. This speaks to a much bigger and more concerning issue.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Tsunami????

Originally Posted by thomasshawn
Well more news today.
parts guy called to say that officially the part will be here in 8-10 weeks. but unofficially he knows that it will likely just be a "recycled" part from someone else with command problems.

he said that since the Tsunami production has lagged behind and they have not been able to keep pace with new car production much less repairs and they are now forbidden to order any parts w/o pre-approval. command units/transmissions are some of the worst of the problems. he said the COMMAND units all suffer from the same intermittent issues. They get pulled from a car sent for some quality check which they often pass because the issue is intermittent and doesn't throw a problem code. so the defective unit gets sent back out as good and placed into someone car. and the cycle repeats.

He is not optimistic that reliable parts are coming in the near future.
basically he said if we wait LONG enough eventually it will get fixed but in confidence he said not to hold my breath.

so now I'm wondering if I get a new one to ensure a reliable part or step away from MB for a while and get something entirely different. This speaks to a much bigger and more concerning issue.
Does that mean that COMAND is actually made in Japan?
Doesn't speak well for the "Best or Nothing" does it?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
I think like most things, electronic are made in Japan then shipped to Germany in this case. They assembled there. Then they can say made (assembled) in Germany.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM

2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
Maybe you can try to use the lemon law if you have one where you live. Try talking with MB directly if you are looking to get out of the car.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
Lemon Law would probably apply here. My state has a statute that extends until end of warranty. So within 4yrs in this case and more than 4 attempts to fix w/o resolution.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by El Cid
Does that mean that COMAND is actually made in Japan?
Doesn't speak well for the "Best or Nothing" does it?
What's wrong with Electronics made in Japan? "The Best or Nothing" can mean that they'll buy Electronics from the North Pole and apply them to their cars if they deemed that best.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by thomasshawn
Lemon Law would probably apply here. My state has a statute that extends until end of warranty. So within 4yrs in this case and more than 4 attempts to fix w/o resolution.
The only other thing you would have to check is if there is a mileage limit to your lemon law.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
I knew some parts are made in Japan for W 212 but not the whole command unit .
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
On the sticker that comes with some of these cars, which tell you how many of the parts came from where, there was a mix of Germany, USA and China for the E-Class (the same mixture and % applied to about all the Benzes). The 5-Series, for the record, had about 25% more parts made in Germany, more made in America, and much less made in China, making the 5-Series' build catalog look much more enticing. However, the F10 is somewhat of a quality disaster while the W212 has been best in Class.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM

E350 p2/amg sport
1. not bothered by the Japanese parts. very common practice. depending on the "made in" country I think they have various laws about how much they even have to disclose about the actual source of all components.
One good example is Trek bicycles they have touted for years they are MADE IN THE USA, but closer inspection reveals that over the last few years more and more of the bikes components are made over seas and then shipped to the US where they are ASSEMBLED. Until recently that still counted as MADE in the USA. that has changed and now those bikes simply don't say they are made in the USA but some say ASSEMBLED. Their website claims that their higher-end bikes are all made/assembled completely in their Waterloo MI factory but lower end bikes may be made IN PART other places.However Trek's slogan is all over the boxes of all the bikes which says something about "proudly made in the USA." somewhat deceptive if you ask me. They used to have an explanation on their site about why/how certain bikes came from china/Taiwan and japan but no longer.

Are they bad bikes? absolutely not but also not entirely truthful about their origin.

so I don't care about where parts came from. i only mentioned it to explain why there appears to be a system wide shortage of parts.

2.Lemon law might apply but dealer is being very helpful they see it as bad PR locally and they are really trying to make it right.

3. going to Dealer today to hammer out some hopefully final details
Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 PM

E350 p2/amg sport
Hopefully the end of the story...

So as I was driving in today to speak to the Sales manager and the Parts manager and come to some agreement on a possible solution.

I got a call from the service department that my new command unit had arrived. (so much for 6-10 weeks they told me 3 days ago). Part of my decision to get a different car was based on the unknown time frame of replacement parts and the new uncertainty about quality of parts when they did arrive.

So I show up and am offered a chance to "bid" on several cars via the MB dealer auction website. some very nice cars but all 2010-2011 similar equipped cars. The one I was shown was a "corporate" car for MB-USA. had 2011 E350 P2 with sport pkg 6800 miles and a chip on the hood and a front bumper "mark" all deemed small and cosmetic only. very good price but I also had to figure in transport and service/cleaning etc. so my bid was expected to be elevated ~$2800. Plus it had cosmetic issues that mine does not. a decent deal but not a perfect one.

But still with the uncertainty of the COMMAND issues for 2010-2011. Doing the math it worked out to only about $7500 more to get a new 2012 with all my options than to take an unknown used and possibly have the same issues with this car.

So I left my 2010 to have the command unit replaced and am driving a loaner. car should be here early next week.

So, I opted for the new car and I must commend my local dealer for recognizing a real issue and working so hard to make me happy and fix the problem. They did not have to do it and I appreciate it. They have a happy and vocal customer.

Thanks to all here for the advice and encouragement.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM

I'm glad everything worked out to your satisfaction. It is nice to hear that a dealer is really trying to help their customer. There are so many out there that couldn't give a crap after the sale has been made. Just a little information about the lemon law, the dealer has nothing to do with it to a point. It is really between the owner and the manufacture. The dealer can help you with the right documentation to help prove your case.