Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by MCF
How is the 535 headroom treating you and with the seat so far back, any issue with blind spot? With the E, if the seat is pushed too far back, the side mirror won't angle out enough to eliminate a blind spot. Thanks!! Also, did you get a 2013 or 2014? Any issue with it pulling to the right??
GREAT!! I fit SO much better in this car. The 5er has a more "Coupe" seating placement, where you can roll the backrest further back and it doesn't appear and seem as awkward (for me at least) as with the E, and the B-Pillars are further up toward you.

Blind spots (or lack thereof) are a specialty of the 5-Series since the windows although even higher up in terms of beltline than the E-Class give a lot better visibility. The front windshield is a little smaller than the E's as it's swept back more, and the dash higher, so it might seem more claustraphobic to some in that sense, but for us taller guys it works perfectly and has a cool effect even.

The rear Hoffmeister kink and overall greenhouse setup somehow makes visibility better than the E's, as the E's pinches upwards toward the rear. However, the 5 has a smaller rear window as well, so that may make rear visibility worse. Though mine comes with a rear view camera with not only guide-lines but also "object signs" and parking sensors that it works for me so far.

I got a 2013 M Sport which has an all new steel "M Sport" suspension from what I understand, and that coupled with the fixes they apparently employed (hopefully) to the electronic steering, have felt no pulling to the right at all. Though I will now pay attention now that you said it. Lol.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. There are some quirks of course as well, so be sure to thoroughly test it against the E if you're considering.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
K-A there seems to be many complaints about the hesitation when leaving from a stop. Has that been corrected on the 2013?

I find this odd because I never had that problem on my wife's 335i TT coupe. It was smooth and powerful. I remember them having a recall for the fuel pump and BMW replaced it even though we never experienced a problem.

Since 2007, the first year for the twin turbo I6, have changes been made?

Our only complaint on our car were the tires. The sidewalls on the RFT were very hard making a rough ride with the sport suspension. After 10,000kms they became very noisy and BMW replaced them free.

The reason I'm asking is because one of my kids is thinking of getting the new 4 series.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by petee1997
K-A there seems to be many complaints about the hesitation when leaving from a stop. Has that been corrected on the 2013?

I find this odd because I never had that problem on my wife's 335i TT coupe. It was smooth and powerful. I remember them having a recall for the fuel pump and BMW replaced it even though we never experienced a problem.

Since 2007, the first year for the twin turbo I6, have changes been made?

Our only complaint on our car were the tires. The sidewalls on the RFT were very hard making a rough ride with the sport suspension. After 10,000kms they became very noisy and BMW replaced them free.

The reason I'm asking is because one of my kids is thinking of getting the new 4 series.
Ooh, the 4-Series looks great. I was thinking of holding off and waiting for them to come out, but obviously decided against it.

Actually the original TT I6 was the N54 motor. In 2010 they launched a newer-version of that motor called the "N55". They dub it "TwinPower Turbo" which basically means Single Scroll, bigger single turbo. They eliminated a lot of the issues with the TT N54 motor, and added some technology to make it more efficient (Variable Valve something or other, my brain isn't working too well right now at this late hour ). HPFP is apparently no longer an issue, and the N55 makes peak torque at a lower RPM (1200 or something ridiculously awesome like that).

The N55 is also grossly underrated like the N54 (both put out more realistically 335-340 crank Horsepower with about 280-290 HP at the rear wheels), but it's a big debate amongst BMW heads which is actually truly more powerful. Magazine tests have showed the N55 getting better results on performance tests, but some people have different experiences.

Yeah, I have no issues with throttle "Tip In". 2011 F10's were sort of disasters it seems really, and IMO 2013 was the perfect year for me to consider the car, to hope BMW worked out the initial issues. In Sport Mode, with my SAT option (Sport Auto Transmission), the throttle reaction is about the quickest I've ever felt from a car. Literally instantaneous and so eager the car practically jolts willingly at your request. Not sure how different it may be without the Sport Auto option (if that even makes a difference on throttle reaction).

BUT, in "Comfort" there is a little delay. Not sure if that's by design, but if you hit the gas eagerly, while in "Comfort Mode", you may experience a little delay and then a hard push from behind with all that torque build up.

.... So I guess it's actually 50/50. In Sport, NO throttle tip-in delay, but in Comfort, yes there is some.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
CORRECTION: The car I really meant was the 335ix coupe. I thought they changed the name for the 3 series coupe to 4. Thanks for answering my question. I did not know the current models have a different engine.

Last edited by petee1997; 01-14-2013 at 07:40 AM.