E vs CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
E vs CLS

I recently took photos of my E and CLS for comparison. The CLS definitely has a more aggressive stance and more pronounced snout, yet its frontend is higher with less deep of a front spoiler (when compared side by side). While the rearend of the CLS is more dramatic and lower than the E (as was intended). It reminds me little of my old S and CL where the coupe's frontend appeared higher thus creating a bolder impression with its more steeply raked windshield. You can see this in the older Mercedes of the 1930s whereby they created a sportier impression by repositioning of the headlamps higher up on their tall grilles.
Attached Thumbnails E vs CLS-e-cls-front-quarter-i.jpg   E vs CLS-cls-e-rear-i.jpg   E vs CLS-ct-group-oct-09-003-i.jpg  

Last edited by dbtk; 01-25-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
I prefer E over CLS anyday . Taillights of the CLS looks weird too . I prefer mercedes emblem on the hood as well as more grill slats .
Still, front end of the CLS is very eye catching lol
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Prefer the E front over the CLS.
I absolutely hate the SLS grill Benz is putting on all the cars.
I'm sure they will put it on the E on the next refresh.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
wow, love 'em both!!!! can't wait to recieve my CLS 63 with PP, lsd and blue designo leather
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I prefer E's exterior over CLS' as well from all angles except the rear, where I like CLS more.

Interior? There's no comparison, but that depends on your needs. Visually, CLS by a long shot: IMO a much nicer dash integration of navigation screen plus all the leather around you, just a much reacher interior feel. Roomwise, well its the other way around - E is much roomier.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
+1 , the E is roomier..........that'll take some getting used to in the cls.....for it is tight
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I love them both as well!!!! I personally lean toward the practical and like the design of the e more than enough to prefer it on practical grounds versus the more stylish cls. The e has better visibility, better headroom in the rear, easier access to the rear, and more roomy feel in the front. Despite the practical benefits, it is a very tempting package!!! Regards. Ned.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Whether it is the E or the CLS, what's not to like? Both are beautiful, although the CLS interior is more sumptuous and intimate to my eye and rear end. I personally like the previous generation CLS more than the current rendition, but that is just me. To my eye, the new CLS has lost some of the distinction of the original and has become more "generic Benz" than "special edition Benz". For me, an E with CLS interior, diesel, and 4Matic would be almost irresistible.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
CLS is good looking, too but my eyes are tuned to E. I said many times that front end of E is realling good looking, no change in my mind so far.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Both are incredible good lookin cars but if I HAD to choose one...

I vote for the E.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Great pics! I also prefer the E's styling. I feel its character and mostly its details/lines are more harmonious (I can't stand the CLS's reverse wedge line contrasting a wedge shaped car), and as great as the CLS's front is, IMO the E's front end is just a masterpiece in design and character, not to mention a very good modern interpretation of the classic Benz front. Also, the Star grille is so prevalent in the range with all these lower vehicles and SUV's, IMO the Luxury grille has more presence and uniqueness these days.

As far as interior, I love the CLS's of course, but the EXTREMELY tight and limited quarters don't even supply enough headroom for me, and I'm "just" 6'4. Pretty ridiculous that M-B can't engineer a swoopy 4000+lb 4-Door to fit an NBA Point Guard (height)?!

Anyway, congrats, and I certainly envy your fleet.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
if the cost is the same, i'll take the cls.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Whether it is the E or the CLS, what's not to like? Both are beautiful, although the CLS interior is more sumptuous and intimate to my eye and rear end. I personally like the previous generation CLS more than the current rendition, but that is just me. To my eye, the new CLS has lost some of the distinction of the original and has become more "generic Benz" than "special edition Benz". For me, an E with CLS interior, diesel, and 4Matic would be almost irresistible.
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
I think the new CLS looks way better than the old one.
The sculpted lines and muscular haunches give it a sportier look.
The old one is sweet...but more feminine with its smooth lines.
Both are nice but the new CLS looks turn my head everytime.

In comparing CLS and E coupe....I am a coupe man at heart and it gets my money over the sedan.

Last edited by platinumsc; 01-25-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
platinumsc, I originally liked the new CLS but it is those very sculpted lines that throw me off now. They just look forced to my eye. The new CLS does look more muscular to me, but, the old one looked more like a "flagship" car. The new one is more "me too" to my eye. In any event, I would not call the new one unattractive by any stretch.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
Originally Posted by platinumsc
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
I think the new CLS looks way better than the old one.
The sculpted lines and muscular haunches give it a sportier look.
The old one is sweet...but more feminine with its smooth lines.
Bot are nine but the new CLS looks turn my head everytime.

In comparing CLS and E coupe....I am a coupe man at heart and it gets my money over the sedan.
I too love the new CLS' more muscular flanks and agressive stance. And I am also a coupe guy. That said my favorite present day Mercedes coupe is the CL600. Understated, reserved, refined and with a whole lot of presence.
Attached Thumbnails E vs CLS-cl-i.jpg  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 895 Likes on 644 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A
Great pics! I also prefer the E's styling. I feel its character and mostly its details/lines are more harmonious (I can't stand the CLS's reverse wedge line contrasting a wedge shaped car), and as great as the CLS's front is, IMO the E's front end is just a masterpiece in design and character, not to mention a very good modern interpretation of the classic Benz front. Also, the Star grille is so prevalent in the range with all these lower vehicles and SUV's, IMO the Luxury grille has more presence and uniqueness these days.

As far as interior, I love the CLS's of course, but the EXTREMELY tight and limited quarters don't even supply enough headroom for me, and I'm "just" 6'4. Pretty ridiculous that M-B can't engineer a swoopy 4000+lb 4-Door to fit an NBA Point Guard (height)?!

Anyway, congrats, and I certainly envy your fleet.

I also think the w212 front is a masterpiece especially with the hockey sticks that look a lot better than the new straight ones.

But I also think the CLS rear is a masterpiece so how about putting these two masterpieces in the same car but with the star grille in the front, of course.

Any digital picture masters around?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
I don't like the new bumper law creating this big flat vertical front end on the new CLS, SLK, etc. I find the E more pleasing to the eye.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Arrie
I also think the w212 front is a masterpiece especially with the hockey sticks that look a lot better than the new straight ones.

But I also think the CLS rear is a masterpiece so how about putting these two masterpieces in the same car but with the star grille in the front, of course.

Any digital picture masters around?
You're saying put a CLS front onto the E?

That would look terrible. These cars have different sculpted body panels, and the E has a very strong, stately face, which would look totally off with the CLS thinner and more feminine (not a bad thing, I mean in a beauteous sense) front. Mean/Boss VS Pretty/Sporty (E VS CLS) is how I see it, crossing the two just would confuse the look to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
CLS has more distinctive look. It is more rare than E. I agree with many posts that E class is more common than Camry and actually similar in price. CLS driver certainly is not so cheap. But yes, I like that E is higher, my previous E (211) always scratched nose on curbs or even steepy driveways.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I'd never consider the CLS until they get rid of the completely ridiculous back seat with one that seats 3. Given the weight and dimensions of that car, there is no reason for them to do what they have done to that rear seat. Those stupid compartment things they have put where a fifth person could sit is completely dumb and I would never use any of those stupid compartments. I actually would consider a CLS for my next car if not for the back seat.

Actually what I'd really like for my next car is a SHORT wheelbase S550 but we can't get that in the US. And that's a different topic altogether.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I'd never consider the CLS until they get rid of the completely ridiculous back seat with one that seats 3. Given the weight and dimensions of that car, there is no reason for them to do what they have done to that rear seat. Those stupid compartment things they have put where a fifth person could sit is completely dumb and I would never use any of those stupid compartments. I actually would consider a CLS for my next car if not for the back seat.

Actually what I'd really like for my next car is a SHORT wheelbase S550 but we can't get that in the US. And that's a different topic altogether.
Personally, I feel that's some of the pizazz of the CLS's interior. It is telling you that it is NOT a family car, although it is sized as one. However, why a 4-Door isn't meant for 5 people? Well, that's a different story altogether. "4-Door Coupe" is a Marketing creation and the antithesis to logical and functional engineering. Form>Function all the way on this one.

Originally Posted by Dema
CLS has more distinctive look. It is more rare than E. I agree with many posts that E class is more common than Camry and actually similar in price. CLS driver certainly is not so cheap. But yes, I like that E is higher, my previous E (211) always scratched nose on curbs or even steepy driveways.
Lol, I get the exaggeration effect, but c'mon now, the E sells as many Sedans in a year as Camry's do in a month or two. Also, the entry price for an E is well over double the entry price for a Camry (about the price of 2 and a half Camry's). Now comparing Lease rates.... well, that's a different story.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by K-A
Personally, I feel that's some of the pizazz of the CLS's interior. It is telling you that it is NOT a family car, although it is sized as one. However, why a 4-Door isn't meant for 5 people? Well, that's a different story altogether. "4-Door Coupe" is a Marketing creation and the antithesis to logical and functional engineering. Form>Function all the way on this one.
I can understand form over function but not stupidity over function -- especially from a German brand. Not a family car? What does MB think that people are going to think it is a 2-ton sport car because they put ridiculous compartment where a fifth person would sit? I hope MB does not think their customers are that dumb and clueless

I am 35, single, can afford the CLS and should be a part of the market segment the CLS should appeal to. If this issue turns me off about this car, MB has problems with the design of the back seat as it is likely to turn off other people. If I wanted a small sport car, I would buy one... Marketing BS aside a large 4 door car "is" a large car and in this case a large car with a dumb compartment in the middle of the back seat...

If nothing else if I ever get married and have a baby, I'd want the baby seat to be in the middle of the back seat (the absolute safest place in the car) and this dumb seat design precludes that for absolutely no reason.

If some want the "pizazz" of a back seat that can accommodate just 2, maybe they can at least have the option to pay extra for a back seat without the storage thing in the middle.

This is one of my pet peeves about MB design because after my E550 I would like to consider the S550 but I don't need such a long car with so much legroom in the back that I would very rarely use. The CLS would be perfect if not for that back seat so short of a SWB S550 (which I cant buy in the US), I really don't have a good option besides another E550. With all the dozens of models MB keeps making it is a shame to not have a perfect vehicle in mind for a potential next car purchase.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
My dream car was the CLS since 2006....wanted one badly....esp seeing the test drive done on Top Gear. That went down the drain after I saw the new styling of the E Class.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB

I am 35, single, can afford the CLS and should be a part of the market segment the CLS should appeal to. If this issue turns me off about this car, MB has problems with the design of the back seat as it is likely to turn off other people. If I wanted a small sport car, I would buy one... Marketing BS aside a large 4 door car "is" a large car and in this case a large car with a dumb compartment in the middle of the back seat...

If nothing else if I ever get married and have a baby, I'd want the baby seat to be in the middle of the back seat (the absolute safest place in the car) and this dumb seat design precludes that for absolutely no reason.
Ha ha, agree with you. It's time for you to trade in your E for a CLS or CL (or an E coupe, at least).
Attached Thumbnails E vs CLS-cls-after-jan-snow-2012.jpg  

Last edited by dbtk; 01-26-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I can understand form over function but not stupidity over function -- especially from a German brand. Not a family car? What does MB think that people are going to think it is a 2-ton sport car because they put ridiculous compartment where a fifth person would sit? I hope MB does not think their customers are that dumb and clueless

If some want the "pizazz" of a back seat that can accommodate just 2, maybe they can at least have the option to pay extra for a back seat without the storage thing in the middle.

This is one of my pet peeves about MB design because after my E550 I would like to consider the S550 but I don't need such a long car with so much legroom in the back that I would very rarely use. The CLS would be perfect if not for that back seat so short of a SWB S550 (which I cant buy in the US), I really don't have a good option besides another E550. With all the dozens of models MB keeps making it is a shame to not have a perfect vehicle in mind for a potential next car purchase.
I have the same issues about the atrocious joke of functionality of the cars use of its massive size and weight.... but mine has nothing to do with the back seat (actually, I prefer the CLS's back seat setup). Feel good that at least YOU can fit in the damn thing! Lol.

I too would have loved the option to even *CONSIDER* the CLS if I want to move to more out-of-wallet from the E. The S is too huge, too "chauffeur"-y feeling to me, and the E is the perfect size. Aside from the Coupe's, which aside from the SLS and CL, and probably upcoming SL (who's headroom will probably also suck), I am not too interested in, M-B's really made the E my personal flagship car from the brand. Nowhere to really go for me from here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E vs CLS