New Lexus GS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Here's some eye candy from that video of the Lexus on Motor Trend.

Look at how gorgeous the W212 is in motion! I always though this car sits on the road and looks best when viewing it in motion and at different angles.

Also, I gotta say, although I might be partial to the E's classic M-B homage and more old-world interpretation in a modern interior, I actually like it more than the others here. It has more character, even if it can be seen as harder and colder as well (something M-B's historically were as well).

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
It's UGLY!!!!!

Lexus GS 350 front end looks like either a snow blower or a street sweeper.
Also, the interior looks really cheap in the shots above.

Last edited by El Cid; 02-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
rjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
I looked at the GS350 right after the dealer got them in last week. There were 5 of them on the floor. Right after looking at them, we went to the MB dealership and looked at several E-350's for comparison. I personally thought the GS350 blew the E-350 away in terms of appearance and specs. I liked the aggressive looking front end on the Lexus (looks much better in person than in the photos). The interior of the Lexus was much nicer. I thought the Lexus seats were much more comfortable and the quality of the leather and interior was much nicer than that in the MB (MB Tex in the Mercedes). The wood in the Lexus was much more attractive and rich looking than the dull-finished wood in the E-350. The nav screen was bigger and nicer in the Lexus and the standard radio was far superior than the standard system in the MB. I didn't care for the exhaust pipes on the Lexus (ala LS460). Also the slab sides of the Lexus sort of turned me off. As far as specs go, the Lexus is faster by about a second to 60 MPH and the fuel mileage is comparable. The price is also comparable. The base Lexus was about $52K and was selling at MSRP....period. The base E-350 was about the same with a good discount from MSRP available. Re-sale would probably be better on the MB down the road. I would prefer the GS350 just for the performance and comfort the car offers. I think they have hit a home run with this car. The MB just looks old and dated in comparison. I would advise anyone to look at both cars in person before making any judgment.

Last edited by rjm; 02-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
I'm sure it does look better on paper than the E. Take both of them for a nice, long drive & then tell me you still like the Lexus better.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I must agree that the new GS looks much better in person than in any of the photos I have seen. The interior is very nice. Lexus does a fantastic job with wood veneers. I think this car will be a contender, and, I expect to see many of them on the road. That said, I love my Bluetec.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
If MB just had a little more power, a better nav screen(bigger and more options), and offered a 19" wheel package and better brakes,, it would be a perfect automobile(350 and 550). The 550 is getting spanked by the Infinity M56 in comparrisons, so I can't wait to see it up against the new BMW 5 and all new Audi A6. Hopefully it will be competitive. The 350 is just not in the same league as ALL the others in its class,in performance, electronics, and braking. Facts are facts... Where MB shines is in the quality, resale, and safety factors. But is that enough to keep MB owners from switching? IMO, I think that the age bracket of the 25 to 40 year olds out there could move on, but the, say 45 and over don't care about the performance that much and would stick with the Benz. I'm on my 5 Benz and loved them all, but I just wish there was some more wow factor of my car that gets my blood flowing when I get into my car, instead its kinda blah.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 PM

MB hopeful
I completely agree with you Robbie

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
If MB just had a little more power, a better nav screen(bigger and more options), and offered a 19" wheel package and better brakes,, it would be a perfect automobile(350 and 550). The 550 is getting spanked by the Infinity M56 in comparrisons, so I can't wait to see it up against the new BMW 5 and all new Audi A6. Hopefully it will be competitive. The 350 is just not in the same league as ALL the others in its class,in performance, electronics, and braking. Facts are facts... Where MB shines is in the quality, resale, and safety factors. But is that enough to keep MB owners from switching? IMO, I think that the age bracket of the 25 to 40 year olds out there could move on, but the, say 45 and over don't care about the performance that much and would stick with the Benz. I'm on my 5 Benz and loved them all, but I just wish there was some more wow factor of my car that gets my blood flowing when I get into my car, instead its kinda blah.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
Take both of them for a nice, long drive & then tell me you still like the Lexus better.
I did.....I do.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I test drove one a couple weeks ago the day the dealer drove them off the truck here in Vegas.
The only thing that impressed me was the Tech toys available to the driver.
The tech package blows away ANY MB. The tech in our E is just pathetic compared to Lexus/BMW/pretty much any late model lux car.

If they had a V8 then I would have been interested but I walked away and told them to give me a call if they ever make a "real" luxury GS.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM

2011 E-350, 2010 GL-450
Lexus has always been tarted-up toyotas.....never had an interest.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by rjm
I did.....I do.
Million dollar question: If you liked it better, why are you still here?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
Million dollar question: If you liked it better, why are you still here?
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or rile your feathers. I am a car enthusiast and have owned MB, Lexus, and BMW brands. I enjoy comparing them and hearing what others think of them. And I'm currently in the market for a new one and have been looking at all 3 models. But I'm not a fanboy of any brand so don't let my opinion get your panties in a wad.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Maybe

Originally Posted by thekurgan
One thing about Lexus, if it's like the previous GS generation, there won't be a squeak/creak/rattle anywhere in the cabin. It was like being in a tomb. Mercedes and BMW need to take some lessons on interior plastics.
I looked seriously at a Lexus LS before getting my E350 and price was not a consideration. The forums for Lexus were filled with complaints about wind noise in LS' that couldn't be corrected.
Lexus will do better with 2013 (no 2012) GS, but they did very, very poorly with prior versions.
Lot of people will purchase it because it is a Lexus and not an ES and can get it for less than an LS. However, bottom line, the E class probably sells for about 5-10K less than a GS comparably equipped.
BMW is #1 in US sales, M-B in 2nd and Lexus in 3rd. Infinity and Acura are way behind. Lexus is still being affected by the unintentional speeding issue and the tsunami-but probably not for long.
M-B needs to get its technology caught up with the Asians and improve its reliability if it wants to stay ahead of Lexus.
As for no V-8, they're probably dead for most cars in the future per the auto magazines. New technology will utilize diesels, 4's and V-6's with turbochargers, etc.
Of course there will always be Mustangs, Corvettes, Cadillacs, M-B's, Lexus', etc. that will make V-8's because people will buy them-at any cost. Just as people expected a V-8 in Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Chryslers, De Sotos, Mercurys, etc. in the 50's and 60's, even though sixes often out performed them.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by rjm
Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or rile your feathers. I am a car enthusiast and have owned MB, Lexus, and BMW brands. I enjoy comparing them and hearing what others think of them. And I'm currently in the market for a new one and have been looking at all 3 models. But I'm not a fanboy of any brand so don't let my opinion get your panties in a wad.
It's funny you say you're not a fanboy...i just finished skimming your posts since 2005 and it sure seems like you ride the Lexus & BMW jockstraps pretty hard.

In fact, all you ever seem to talk about is how awesome your non-MB's have been...since your tranny failed in your 2001 E430.

Now, i may be at fault for being a devoted MB owner...but, last time i checked, this was the place for me to chat with my fellow owners.

The new GS is still an ugly car...the end.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rjm: keep it coming. the truth of the matter is that they are all fine automobiles. I remember many years ago when I first got into 35mm photography. I was looking at Canon, Minolta, Pentax and Nikon. The sales man said they were all fantastic cameras, but, if you didn't get the Nikon, you would forever be explaining how the others were just as good as a Nikon. Like it or not, MB and BMW are the Nikons of the Automobile industry. Get something else, and you are forever telling yourself it's just as good.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Robb: You have a V8, isn't your car immensely faster than any GS available right now? Not to mention, the 2012's will blow any out of the water?

Also, please refrain from the bratty "if you're 45 or older" garb. Most buyers in this segment give a crap about HP, that's why BMW just lowered their HP and put a 4 banger in the 528i, and why the W212 is the highest selling car in its segment by a huge margin.

I've street raced, I've crashed in a street race with a 911 Turbo X50 Package, I've had friends die due to "exercises in HP", and on my E-Class, I simply can give a damn. People saying that the 2011 E is "SOOOOO slow" are reading too many magazines and keyboard racing too much.

We're not talking 100 less HP than competitors, we're talking a measly 30 less HP than a 535i, or 2012 E350 for that matter. Not to mention, the 270 HP V6 has a stellar powerband that is relatively torquey for a V6.

The 2010-2011 E350 is a car that will trap in the 1/4 at around 100 MPH.... That's not "Sooooo slow" by any means. Not competitive, maybe? But many of us don't care, and it's mostly because who the F buys a conservative E-Class that wallows in turns to drive like speed racer?. I guess it just annoys me 'cause after spending years on Mustang Forums, it's odd to see some with the same mentality here.

Also, you don't have to be over 45+ or whatever stereotype one is putting out there to not want to drive like a douche on the roads, requiring 400 HP. I sometimes drive relatively aggressively, and on my congested city roads, I've rarely if ever felt like I'm tapping into the maximum performance of my cars motor.

Of course, I'll always take more for the same price, why not? But it's a non issue to me, and to most buyers. This "People might switch" stuff is unfounded, as the E-Class is ON FIRE, and that's with the "Old Motor". LET THEM SWITCH! There are too many E's on the road anyway!

As for the guy who always reps Lexus and BMW coming here and saying that the GS makes the E look "old and dated", you need to check your eyes and tastes, sir! The E looks practically futuristic next to that dull thing with a Darth Vader helmet.

.... Rant off (sorry, I just find it odd when M-B owners start Magazine Racing.... M-B's ALWAYS get tossed on rag tests, yet we buy them.... last thing you want M-B to do is forsake what they do best and focus on Rag-Test performances).
Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM

KA, I will be 40 this year my friend, just stating facts that younger buyers tend to go for the more HP and better electronics. Sorry to offend your age, that wasn't my intention. Sorry to others who took affense to my comment..There are alot of younger buyers that can't afford a 550, so they will purchase a 350. But, if there is a different manufacturer out there that is the same price and options, but offer more Hp( a full second faster to 60, and in the 1/4) and better electronics, those buyers are not going with the MB 350. I just think MB needs to step it up a little on some items.... Relax on the, "Bratty" comment, no need for it. And how did BMW reduce their HP, the new 550i is 400hp and 450 tq, more than the new Twin turbo Mb motor on tq., the 535 has more than the e350? And for the record, I had a 2008 e350 with the same motor that your car has, sorry, but it was slow,,,,,real slow. 268HP in a 4000 lbs car = slow.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

K-A makes a valid point (or two or three). Unless you are going out "street racing" your E against others out there, buying, a car is a lot like buying a TV. When you see them in a store next to each other, you can certainly see differences in picture quality across brands and even within a brand. But, when you bring it home and start watching it, it is just right. My Bluetec gets panned for being too slow at 7.4 seconds 0-60 in the press. Well two things on that note: 1) I rarely do a 0-60 run, but I often do a 0-45 or 0-50. In that speed range, My Bluetec is as fast or faster than many of its competitors. In fact, next time you are in your own cars, look and see how many times you accelerate where you go over 4K on the tach. This is the range a Bluetec shines. 2) When I first got my Bluetec,, using a handheld digital stopwatch, I basically always saw 7.5 +/- 0-60 times. Now, with over 30k on the clock, using my same stopwatch I regularly get 6.8-7 sec. I attribute this to breaking in. My car is noticeably quicker now than when it was new. The bottom line is that these car are all fast enough for any sensible/reasonable person.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
put that 550 is S mode and it's pretty damn quick
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

KA, I will be 40 this year my friend, just stating facts that younger buyers tend to go for the more HP and better electronics. Sorry to offend your age, that wasn't my intention. Sorry to others who took affense to my comment..There are alot of younger buyers that can't afford a 550, so they will purchase a 350. But, if there is a different manufacturer out there that is the same price and options, but offer more Hp( a full second faster to 60, and in the 1/4) and better electronics, those buyers are not going with the MB 350. I just think MB needs to step it up a little on some items.... Relax on the, "Bratty" comment, no need for it. And how did BMW reduce their HP, the new 550i is 400hp and 450 tq, more than the new Twin turbo Mb motor on tq., the 535 has more than the e350? And for the record, I had a 2008 e350 with the same motor that your car has, sorry, but it was slow,,,,,real slow. 268HP in a 4000 lbs car = slow.
Firstly, I'm under 30, so there you go, your theory on age is disproven.

If the facts say that younger buyers go for more HP and better electronics, then why is the E-Class SLAUGHTERING everything in its segment, including outselling the intro-year 5-Series? Facts don't prove what you're saying when it comes to this respective segment, you're simply speaking on your own behalf. I feel that how you are gauging cars makes you an odd buyers for an E-Class?

Actually, I stand corrected, BMW replaced their 6 cyl with a 4 cyl, and kept the HP at 240 HP for their volume/entry model. The 550 equates for about 5% of total 5er Sales, maybe, so again, your gauge is more keyboard racing than real life. Buyers in this segment don't see who has 400 first, they look at many other aspects, hence the E's dominance in Sales, even despite being released prior than its new competitors.

All this talk of HP and handling is odd when coming from an E buyer. What's important in this segment? Comfort (E is king), Styling, Cachet, Timelessness and sense of occasion, Quality, Reliability. These are what matter to the vast majority of buyers, and these are where the E reigns supreme, these ain't Mustangs and Camaro's. As a buyer here myself, I could care less about drag race results and who twirls around cones better, it's hilarious considering the car I'm in. Have you ever tried to take a turn in this car? Yes, it's confident, and it grips, but the exaggerated body leans should tell you that if you're looking for something sporty, look elsewhere.

Last edited by K-A; 02-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

More proof that speed racer elements mean nothing in this segment?

One months example of how the Sales have looked since the W212 launched:

And the venerable USNEWS Rankings (ooh, notice it's the slooowwww 2011 model )

I don't know how you drive, Rob, but speed and HP is relative. 270 HP isn't slow to me considering how I drive. If you like to line up your conservative E-Class next to other cars on public roads, then you have problems, however, if you just like the feeling of owning or occasionally experiencing high HP motors, then that's simply just you, not everybody.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM

You got me Ka,,, You are King of this forum... Now that I know that your under 30, I can understand the tape on your roof. I'm done, all hail the King of useless information or the one who looks for argument at all times. quote,And all this talk of hp and tq coming from a E buyer??? Say that to a E63 owner, or any other man that is into cars.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
sorry, but I had to LOL at the 'tape on your roof'. that was just too funny
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

You got me Ka,,, You are King of this forum... Now that I know that your under 30, I can understand the tape on your roof. I'm done, all hail the King of useless information or the one who looks for argument at all times. quote,And all this talk of hp and tq coming from a E buyer??? Say that to a E63 owner, or any other man that is into cars.
Don't get childish if you can't intelligently back up your wild claims man.

I posted proof that your cluttering these Threads with HP and handling wars is unfounded in terms of what people look for in this segment, and you have nothing but your own opinions, to back up your opinions.

An E63 buyers is an AMG buyer. I simply don't get what you're doing buying an E-Class when you seem to only value the speed-racer elements. Hence why you are unhappy with your car.

HP and handling are indeed ONE aspect of why people choose cars. They're worth mentioning, they're worth swaying some buyers.... but in this segment, they are of little value. The focus here on that is missing the big picture.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
sorry, but I had to LOL at the 'tape on your roof'. that was just too funny
Nothing funny bout it, it is tape. I have a lot more tape on my whip, and it looks fresssshhhhh. Maybe that's why I never focus on how much HP my car has.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Lexus GS?