E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

500GB External Hard Drive works!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I use a 128 GB SD Card in my 2014 E350 without any trouble. It is about 90% full with only MP3 files. I'm not sure how many individual music files there are, which I learned is what makes a difference in the system's performance. There are two root directories and 100s of subdirectories that correspond to individual CDs and downloaded albums on the 128 GB SD card. I've been using it for more than 4 years and it's pretty responsive.

I tried using a 256 GB Card that had 203 GB of music files and the system was taking forever to read the directory. I got frustrated and decided that it wasn't worth the inconvenience of waiting for the card to play and went back to the 128 GB card. So the 256 GB card works, it's just that there were too many files for the system to rapidly index.

I'm also using an old 80 GB iPod Classic connected to the Music Interface as well as a 128 GB USB thumb drive. Both are about 90% full of music files. I have a few DVDs loaded in the 6 disc player that I've burned with MP3 files and have recorded several CDs to the onboard Hard Drive, which is far from full. Needless to say it's unlikely that I'll run out of music.

The one complaint that I have with the Command System is with the connections to the Internet Radio. It seems to be poor strength-wise as it buffers a lot and the stations that I enter are constantly being deleted somehow. I don't know if anyone else has that problem.

And I concur that the dealers don't have anyone tech-savvy. I have more luck using the call button in the car and asking to be switched to technical help. Hope all of that helps.