E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help with my hood emblem!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Help with my hood emblem!

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my hood emblem assembly? I have a 2012 E550. I took off the stock hood ornament and ordered this kit from JBSpeed.

It comes with the fixture that is pictured. That tightens on the bolt and I think the clamp is supposed to seat against the inner part of the hood to hold the emblem firmly in place.

I put the emblem on the hood and it seems to fit well. The bolt sticks down (pictured)

But when I tightened the fixture to the bolt, the wing nut tightens all the way but the clamp (the claw) doesn’t seat against the hood. It just spins freely.

It is like the bolt is too long.

Unfortunately, the kit didn’t come with instructions and when I contacted JBspeed for help, they told me to find someone that’s installed one and ask them for help. I tried that, but the one person that responded wanted pictures and we cant PM pictures. So now I have to ask here, publicly.

I think I’m going to have to end up cutting the bolt, but what a total pain! Does anyone here have any insight? Has anyone that has ordered one from JBSpeed experienced this?

Any help would be appreciated.

e
Attached Thumbnails Help with my hood emblem!-photo-1.jpg   Help with my hood emblem!-photo.jpg   Help with my hood emblem!-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by enzo thecat
Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my hood emblem assembly? I have a 2012 E550. I took off the stock hood ornament and ordered this kit from JBSpeed.

It comes with the fixture that is pictured. That tightens on the bolt and I think the clamp is supposed to seat against the inner part of the hood to hold the emblem firmly in place.

I put the emblem on the hood and it seems to fit well. The bolt sticks down (pictured)

But when I tightened the fixture to the bolt, the wing nut tightens all the way but the clamp (the claw) doesn’t seat against the hood. It just spins freely.

Unfortunately, the kit didn’t come with instructions and when I contacted JBspeed for help, they told me to find someone that’s installed one and ask them for help. I tried that, but the one person that responded wanted pictures and we cant PM pictures. So now I have to ask here, publicly.

I think I’m going to have to end up cutting the bolt, but what a total pain! Does anyone here have any insight? Has anyone that has ordered one from JBSpeed experienced this?

e

Isn't that bolt an all thread? When you tighten the wing nut all the way tight does the bushing that it pushes against the badge get tight, i.e. can you turn it around with your fingers.

If the wing nut gets tight but you can still turn the bushing by hand it means that the thread on the bolt is too short, i.e. the wing nut tightens at the end of the thread before it makes the bushing to push the claw against the inside of the hood. This is difficult to fix as you either need longer thread on the bolt or install washers between the wing nut and the bushing. I don't know if the wing nut comes apart from the bushing.

If the bushing gets tight, i.e. you cannot turn it by hand after wing nut is tight but he claw spins around it means that the bushing bottoms out against the badge befor the claw meets the inside of the hood. In this case you would need to bend that claw more so that the tips of the claw get close enough to the hood to tighten against it.

I don't think cutting the bolt will help.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Arrie
Isn't that bolt an all thread? When you tighten the wing nut all the way tight does the bushing that it pushes against the badge get tight, i.e. can you turn it around with your fingers.

If the wing nut gets tight but you can still turn the bushing by hand it means that the thread on the bolt is too short, i.e. the wing nut tightens at the end of the thread before it makes the bushing to push the claw against the inside of the hood. This is difficult to fix as you either need longer thread on the bolt or install washers between the wing nut and the bushing. I don't know if the wing nut comes apart from the bushing.

If the bushing gets tight, i.e. you cannot turn it by hand after wing nut is tight but he claw spins around it means that the bushing bottoms out against the badge befor the claw meets the inside of the hood. In this case you would need to bend that claw more so that the tips of the claw get close enough to the hood to tighten against it.

I don't think cutting the bolt will help.
Arrie, Thank you for your reply!!!

No. I can not turn the bushing with the wing nut tight. Its all one piece.

Its the second scenario. I can spin the claw around even after the wing nut is tightened. The assembly downs NOT come apart so I can NOT add washers. And yes, the thread bottoms out in the bushing and wing nut.

I thought of bending the claw, but thought shortening the bolt would be easier.

I really wish I knew why its not fitting properly. I shouldn't have to modify anything.

e
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
No, you shouldn't have to modify anything, nor should you be pointed by JBSpeed to try to solicit help from other people. Is the hexagonal top of the bolt properly seated within its recess when you are spinning the wingnut?

The tolerances of their parts are highly suspect. I just installed mine, but only after the emblem took a little paint off around the edge of the opening to fit. It was a little too big to fit easily. This after I specifically asked JBspeed to make sure it was the right emblem for the W212.

That's BS that they told you to ask someone else with one installed for help. They sold it to you, they should help you.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by brauhaus313
No, you shouldn't have to modify anything, nor should you be pointed by JBSpeed to try to solicit help from other people. Is the hexagonal top of the bolt properly seated within its recess when you are spinning the wingnut?

The tolerances of their parts are highly suspect. I just installed mine, but only after the emblem took a little paint off around the edge of the opening to fit. It was a little too big to fit easily. This after I specifically asked JBspeed to make sure it was the right emblem for the W212.

That's BS that they told you to ask someone else with one installed for help. They sold it to you, they should help you.
Yes. The hexagonal bolt is properly seated within its recess. If it was not, that might in-fact fix the problem because the bolt might not be too long on the end that the wing-nut tightens on too. Moreover, I've already taped the decorative badge over the emblem with the recessed bolt.

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
I can't tell by your pics, but could the bolt be upside down?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PHML
I can't tell by your pics, but could the bolt be upside down?
No. The hexagonal side of the bolt is seated in the recess of the emblem. The second picture is the underside of the hood. The thread side of the bolt is coming through. I assume the fastener apparatus screws on to that with the claw side up. There is really no other way to install it. But my claw does not contact the underside of the hood at all. So its all very floppy and dangles.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
No. The hexagonal side of the bolt is seated in the recess of the emblem. The second picture is the underside of the hood. The thread side of the bolt is coming through. I assume the fastener apparatus screws on to that with the claw side up. There is really no other way to install it. But my claw does not contact the underside of the hood at all. So its all very floppy and dangles.
OK...sorry, was on my iphone...couldn't tell...now at desktop.

Looks as thought the hole is larger so the claw cant press against the hood...I'll check mines when i get home...driving the Lexus today.

Pete
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
You didn't cross thread the bolt and wingnut right?

Might you be able to take the sticker emblem off by pushing the bolt up from the bottom to unseat the sticker? Maybe apply a little heat before hand?

If that works, you could just goto Lowe's or Home Depot Racing and buy a bolt that is shorter. Would be easier than shortening the bolt that is there, which may require a rethreading tool. Not worth the hassle unless you have a rethreader in the right size already.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 PM

You didn't cross thread the bolt and wingnut right?

Might you be able to take the sticker emblem off by pushing the bolt up from the bottom to unseat the sticker? Maybe apply a little heat before hand?

If that works, you could just goto Lowe's or Home Depot Racing and buy a bolt that is shorter. Would be easier than shortening the bolt that is there, which may require a rethreading tool. Not worth the hassle unless you have a rethreader in the right size already.
No its not cross threaded. The bolt is LOOOOONG and it requires many many turns of the wing-nut until it tightens. I am POSITIVE it is not cross-threaded. If it comes to me having to remove the emblem with heat and prying it off, I'm junking this whole setup and buying something elsewhere. I'm beginning to get pissed enough to do that anyway. If this isnt a mistake by me, this is B.S.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
I got the same hoodie.

You place the loose piece up against the inside of the hood. Basically the emblem piece on the outside of the hood should fit firmly in place and the loose piece should clamp the interior part of the hood. Then u should screw in the nut as tight as possible. Basically the nut will push up the loose piece inside up against the inside of the hood, and the outer emblem should tighten up on the outside. The only problem you should have is when tightening the bolt, aligning the outer emblem to sit straight.

Let me know if that helps...

Edit...
Just checked out your pic and it looks like u r doing it right. Not sure how the hood is setup for the 2012's but the loose piece that acts to clamp the hood to the outer piece might be wrong... I cant remember but i know that the loose piece has no problem clamping the inner to the outer.

U notice how in your first pic the first inside hood layer is not the piece that is holding the clamp on? Might be a problem with that as i think mine clamps out to the first layer.

Last edited by EmE247; 03-08-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
good luck man, I got one from him too, and you get what you pay for you know??
It's okay; and looked good......
wonder if it'll fit on my C219
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
Im no expert but it looks like the clamp thingy isnt wide enough to catch the outer part of the open circle to keep the emblem tight.

Last edited by bigigg; 03-09-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)

This! If I purchased an item from a company or a seller, it is that person's responsibility to make sure it fits. Unless there was some disclaimer that indicated with the purchase that "if this does not fit your car, you are **** out of luck." To refer you to their other customers is bull**** indeed.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM

2014 E350 4M

e
same thing happen to me as well, i just had to cut a piece of the bolt off. and it worked great.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dsbull
same thing happen to me as well, i just had to cut a piece of the bolt off. and it worked great.
Well than that answers it, then. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an oversight on my part before I did something irreversible like cutting the bolt shorter.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
This! If I purchased an item from a company or a seller, it is that person's responsibility to make sure it fits. Unless there was some disclaimer that indicated with the purchase that "if this does not fit your car, you are **** out of luck." To refer you to their other customers is bull**** indeed.

I agree. JBSPEED is selling these hood replacement badges in the GLK section too. And the oem GLK350 hood emblem is 57.50mm in diameter....much larger than what JBSPEED has for the hood. Maybe it'll turnout like this below...YIKES!!

JBSPEED says to use his trunk emblem for the GLK350 hood, but isn't his trunk emblem just double stick tape?

Special thanks to Jason for the gm13 on his C63

Last edited by PHML; 03-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
wow, that's a huge difference in size . i would put the oem put on right away!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
talk about jbspeed, nothing against them, but don't you guys think his three threads that keep bumping up every day should move to classified section? not sure why the moderator/admin didn't do anything about it. he's the only one doing this. try imagine every single sponsor is doing the same, this forum could look like a mess.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
JB Speed is a self promoting joke. Much better products available at lower prices. Do a little research people. They need to stop bumping their stupid products EVERY time they ship of $40 part.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM

What a great guy though. His final bit of advice to me was to take my car to a body shop and see if they figure it out.

Btw, in the end I cut the bolt. It is now fitting like it was supposed to. It looks great.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
What a great guy though. His final bit of advice to me was to take my car to a body shop and see if they figure it out.
i hope this is not a joke .
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM

2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
Got to love sponsors, especially when they don't even enter a thread about there products when someone is having a hard time installing. WTG JB speed. This is a good reason not to buy your product.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i hope this is not a joke .
Nope. Dead serious.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 PM

E350 Coupe
Just out of curiosity took a look at JBSPEED's threads. There is not a single post from a customer...pro or con. That really strikes me as strange. Post sfter post of "Thank you for your order!" hummmm.... Makes you wonder since no names are mentioned. I think Enzo it might be time for you to post a review on their hood ornament thread.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with my hood emblem!