E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Message to remove plug and insert key to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
the keyless business is one of the best ever....love it! never want another car without it, LOL
Me too! Actually I get a little emotionally hurt when I try to open my car but have forgotten my key. "what's the matter baby, you don't remember me?"

Best tip I got was that you can give the handle a hip check to lock it when your hands are full.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
haha, I get the wrong keys all the time..........and have to go back in to get the others, LOL.....

I wish my house had keyless entry
Old 04-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
This has happened to me a few times as well. As one member suggested, just open the door from the key fob and it seems to correct the issue. When the battery gets low in the key fob, you get a message on the instrument cluster telling you so. At that point, you have a while to go before the battery completely dies. The battery is easy to replace once you know the trick to open the battery compartment. Regards. Ned.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
haha, I get the wrong keys all the time..........and have to go back in to get the others, LOL.....

I wish my house had keyless entry
The contractor for my house renovation looked into that for me. There are lots of door locks that you can punch a code into or lock/unlock using a fob from a distance. I didn't want these - I wanted something that would unlock just like the MB car door. My contractor could not find anything. He did speak to a lock manufacturer who told him that one of the big issues is getting power to the lock. A car door can use the car's battery, but there is nothing similar in most house doors.

If you find something that works like the MB door, let me know.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ttoE550
The contractor for my house renovation looked into that for me. There are lots of door locks that you can punch a code into or lock/unlock using a fob from a distance. I didn't want these - I wanted something that would unlock just like the MB car door. My contractor could not find anything. He did speak to a lock manufacturer who told him that one of the big issues is getting power to the lock. A car door can use the car's battery, but there is nothing similar in most house doors.

that's interesting; wonder if it could be wired onto a doorbell....
Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by ttoE550

There are these sorts of things https://www.google.com/search?tbm=sh...93l625l10l10l0. They work with cards, so a kind of proximity device, and if they're anything like the access systems that are used at my workplace, you would need to hold the card pretty close to the sensor.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:18 PM

2015 GL450
Originally Posted by dsayed
There are these sorts of things https://www.google.com/search?tbm=sh...93l625l10l10l0. They work with cards, so a kind of proximity device, and if they're anything like the access systems that are used at my workplace, you would need to hold the card pretty close to the sensor.
Yeah, we looked into that too. You're right though. It works well for my wife at her office because she carries a purse. She can hold her purse up and that is close enough. But the only thing I carry all the time is my wallet, and it's too high to stick my butt up! maybe a lanyard? I'll think more about this. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
aren't there some kind of fingerprint door locks? i think my friend had that for years.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 621 Likes on 468 Posts
W212 FL
Accidental trunk close : That's a history thanks to MB's smart key system

Here are what I have done lol

TEST 1

I put the key somewhere into the trunk and I pressed the left side button to see what happens . It did close the trunk . However , I was able to open it up either by driver's side button or the handle just below the MB logo onto the trunk lid .

TEST 2

With the key inside the trunk , I pressed the button at the right side and you know it also locks all the doors . Nothing happened , the lid didn't move an inch lol

So, well done to MB engineers or to whom is involved in preventing you from locking the trunk with the key inside

I could provide you all the details with the pics, but my phone is at my room right now
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Haha, I just realized how nifty the trunk close thing is (when you have the key in the trunk).

Late Saturday night (err.... Sunday morning) I had my keys in my jacket (usually it's always in my pocket), tiredly threw my jacket into the trunk, and shut the trunk.... BAMN, it popped back open. I'm trippin' out, like "f*** now my car is jacked up and the trunk won't even close"!. About 5 minutes of me slamming my trunk down ensued, before I went to the front door, noticed it wouldn't unlock, and then figured out what was going on.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by K-A
Haha, I just realized how nifty the trunk close thing is (when you have the key in the trunk).

Late Saturday night (err.... Sunday morning) I had my keys in my jacket (usually it's always in my pocket), tiredly threw my jacket into the trunk, and shut the trunk.... BAMN, it popped back open. I'm trippin' out, like "f*** now my car is jacked up and the trunk won't even close"!. About 5 minutes of me slamming my trunk down ensued, before I went to the front door, noticed it wouldn't unlock, and then figured out what was going on.
Ha ha that was funny lol . Hey, do not throw your jacket because it could have some valuable items inside such as cell phones, your smart key
I keep mines in my pocket
Old 05-31-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
My dealer replaced my key fob, the past week it hasn't happened again...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
Uh oh - now ya' started sumpthin!

But seriously, I didn't see the use for it either - until I had it. Now I wouldn't want to be without it.
I've had it...in an Infiniti M35.Although it never malfunctioned I didn't like it mainly because of the theft factor.Any kid with a laptop and a certain program can "steal" the key's signal and use that stolen signal to steal the car.So for me "keyless go" might be a minor convenience but there's far more downside than upside.Potential malfunctions and added cost just being two of the downsides.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz 2011 e350
Originally Posted by listerone
I've had it...in an Infiniti M35.Although it never malfunctioned I didn't like it mainly because of the theft factor.Any kid with a laptop and a certain program can "steal" the key's signal and use that stolen signal to steal the car.So for me "keyless go" might be a minor convenience but there's far more downside than upside.Potential malfunctions and added cost just being two of the downsides.
And I could go outside and get hit by lightning...therefore, I'm not going outside. I love my keyless go. My E350 is the third car I've owned with this great feature. Heated seats and keyless go are at the top of my list in terms of options.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
listerone: That is why the owners manual recommends wrapping your head with aluminum foil before using keyless go.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by ImInPA
listerone: That is why the owners manual recommends wrapping your head with aluminum foil before using keyless go.
Check out what MIT has to say on the subject.And on a more "real world" basis I read a few years ago that some rich English soccer star (can't recall the name) had *two* expensive cars stolen in that *very* way.Is "keyless go" handy? Perhaps. But for *me* the minues outweigh the pluses.Pressing a button to enter and turning a key to start a car is something I have little trouble managing.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/
Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I talked to my service director and he said the factory does not have a solution to the key problem. He was told to polish the battery contacts.
I read where someone got a replacement key but is it a modified design?
I still believe that going from two batteries to one in the heart of the problem. There probably isn't enough current from one battery if there is the slightest resistance in the contacts.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 CLS450 2011 Boxster Spyder 2022 Bayliss V2
Originally Posted by RSIKR
To give the key a home, remove the start button cover on the dash and put the key in there when you get in the vehicle.
thanks - great suggestion - i did not know you could do that.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 CLS450 2011 Boxster Spyder 2022 Bayliss V2
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
I don't understad some of your concerns. First of all, you should keep your key in your pocket or purse. There is no need to take it out and put it on the seat. If you don't want to use the keyless start, simply pull out the plug and put the key in place of the plug and you can use the key to start.
The trunk closer is simply a convenience. You can pull the trunk closed or use the switch in the cockpit to close.
well i am a man and do not believe in man purses or fanny packs. i work out at the gym on a regular basis and not all under armour shorts have pockets. i also dress for going out and a lot of pants designed for fashion aren't really designed with big pockets to hold a benz key.

as for the trunk, i did not anaylze the build - but when a manual process has a motor added like a window motor its possible when something breaks it wont just work as you would expect. please do not turn thread into debate of how the trunk closer is designed.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
There are a couple of topics about Keyless Go or Key Fob but I have picked up this one to bump lol
Well, one of my keyfobs (despite battery replacement) had some weird issues with it . It locked / unlocked and opened the trunk but touch pad sensors as well as push start button were not functional . However ,the other fob worked flawlessly
I recently had to change the battery because of numerous messages when I used the erratic fob above .It worked fine for a few days and suddenly a message popped Key Not Detected .
I had to remove the button to start the engine and pressed the key fob buttons to lock / unlock the car . Today, even though there was not anything about battery replacement message (normally when your battery is low it warns you before it's too late lol ) it's perfectly normal because I changed the battery in 1st week of December so it's all fresh and problem persisted I decided to take the battery out and reinserted it considering it would reset the fob and work again , hit a miss in a sense or shot in evening (dark sounds way hopless in this case lol )
What happened next was moment of truth and it worked again . It's quite long reading but don't panic if you see a message Key Not Detected before change your battery message . Just remove the battery and reinsert it ,mine proves to work as supposed to be why not yours