E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Message to remove plug and insert key to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Message to remove plug and insert key to start

This morning, my keyless start didn't work and there was a message to remove the plug and insert the key. The engine started with the key. Later, after replacing the plug, the keyless feature worked again.
This problem was in my 2012 E350 with 2,000 miles. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
Yup. Still being investigated by the dealer.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 AM

2011 E350 Cab, 2010 B200
I had that happen once last summer. Never happened again. 2011 E350
Old 03-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E-350W4
Happened once when car was first purchased, has never happened since.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
This is just one example of why I'm glad I don't have "keyless-go"....one less thing to go wrong.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM

'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
Originally Posted by listerone
This is just one example of why I'm glad I don't have "keyless-go"....one less thing to go wrong.
I'm glad I bought myself a bicycle, no engine, no electronics, nothing or hardly anything that can go wrong...raw manpower
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by Joyride
I'm glad I bought myself a bicycle, no engine, no electronics, nothing or hardly anything that can go wrong...raw manpower
Even better: become a pedestrian.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by listerone
Uh oh - now ya' started sumpthin!

But seriously, I didn't see the use for it either - until I had it. Now I wouldn't want to be without it.

I say this as the guy who does most of the daily needs shopping and am frequently in and out of the car 4-7 times in one trip.

And then there's the female half (more like 75% of the relationship). She loves not having to search through her bottomless pit of a purse for keys. She has a lawyer on standby if I ever buy another car without the feature.

I think there are other threads elsewhere here with pretty much the same sentiments expressed in many posts.

To each his - or her - own, of course.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Like all things....its a great feature when it works. It would not be a deal maker or breaker for me though. Nice, useful when it works, but, unnecessary to me. I had a few intermittent issues with my Volvo S80 and its "keyless go" . Nothing major, just glitches and momentary panics when it seemed to be dead. Volvo's had some nice features. It worked bi-directionally and you could check to see if your car was locked by LEDs on the key fob. It would also detect if there was a heartbeat in the car, so you would know if someone was in your car, and, if your alarm was triggered the key fob would let you know. It worked at pretty far distances from the car as well. Great idea, but, as with all computer driven technology, it will always need to be patched and/or rebooted eventually.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
'23 EQS 580
Similar issue ...

I have had the same error message a few times. I find that all I need to do is push the unlock button on the FOB and then it recognizes, have not had to remove the plate to insert the key. This is with a new battery, but not an often issue.
-Matt
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

mercedes benz 2011 e350
General Fix

Folks - If you do a search you'll note that this has been discussed numerous times. The problem is often due to a smart phone proximity to the key. I keep my BB in a cup holder while driving. I kept my key in the right pocket and received numerous key error messages. Just switching my key to the left pocket eliminated the issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM

2012 E550
Originally Posted by jreash
Folks - If you do a search you'll note that this has been discussed numerous times. The problem is often due to a smart phone proximity to the key. I keep my BB in a cup holder while driving. I kept my key in the right pocket and received numerous key error messages. Just switching my key to the left pocket eliminated the issue.
i don't think that's it, at least not in my case. i don't have a cell phone, and i've had this happen to me at least a dozen times in the last two months. pushing the unlock button fixes it, although it's a nuisance if you've just got in the car and put the seat belt on already.

i've been using keyless entry & push-button start in other cars since 2005 and never had any issues with the systems. this isn't some crazy new technology that no one has figured out how to do right yet. it's clearly a defect of this particular implementation. hopefully it's something simple like a bad part from a supplier that can be replaced.

-brent
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by jreash
My wife didn't have a smart phone when the problem occurred. The key was in her purse that was on the passenger seat.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 621 Likes on 468 Posts
W212 FL
You scare me off because I ordered a car with keyless go .Actually, I wanted a auto closing trunk and in order to get that option I must have got keyless go
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 CLS450 2011 Boxster Spyder 2022 Bayliss V2
not a fan

the car i'm trading in has keyless and i am not a fan due to lots of random issues....the biggest one is the key falling between / under the seat because i set the key down on the passenger seat without thinking. the key should have a home in the car i.e. the ignition.

unfortunately the P2 forces the option...i had to have the p2 for the Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination because i am tired of driving in the dark (my 530i had the lights and the car i am trading in did not - night and day difference - no pun intended).

i was not really happy to get the Electronic Trunk Closer either....talk about something to go wrong that would really be bunk if you could not get into your trunk.

if anyone from mbusa reads this forum more a la carte please on special order configurations.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by kdub
the car i'm trading in has keyless and i am not a fan due to lots of random issues....the biggest one is the key falling between / under the seat because i set the key down on the passenger seat without thinking. the key should have a home in the car i.e. the ignition.

unfortunately the P2 forces the option...i had to have the p2 for the Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Curve Illumination because i am tired of driving in the dark (my 530i had the lights and the car i am trading in did not - night and day difference - no pun intended).

i was not really happy to get the Electronic Trunk Closer either....talk about something to go wrong that would really be bunk if you could not get into your trunk.

if anyone from mbusa reads this forum more a la carte please on special order configurations.

To give the key a home, remove the start button cover on the dash and put the key in there when you get in the vehicle.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350

I don't understad some of your concerns. First of all, you should keep your key in your pocket or purse. There is no need to take it out and put it on the seat. If you don't want to use the keyless start, simply pull out the plug and put the key in place of the plug and you can use the key to start.
The trunk closer is simply a convenience. You can pull the trunk closed or use the switch in the cockpit to close.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Auto trunk closing is may be reason why I ordered keyless go .I find the pretty cool , with a touch a button it moves down and closes

Yup, there is no need to get the key out of your pocket and it's a wise idea to leave it there because you may inadvertently put your key in your trunk and press the button , you know rest of the story .
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
I don't understad some of your concerns. First of all, you should keep your key in your pocket or purse. There is no need to take it out and put it on the seat. If you don't want to use the keyless start, simply pull out the plug and put the key in place of the plug and you can use the key to start.
The trunk closer is simply a convenience. You can pull the trunk closed or use the switch in the cockpit to close.

This!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 920 Likes on 654 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Auto trunk closing is may be reason why I ordered keyless go .I find the pretty cool , with a touch a button it moves down and closes

Yup, there is no need to get the key out of your pocket and it's a wise idea to leave it there because you may inadvertently put your key in your trunk and press the button , you know rest of the story .

Rest of the story is the trunk will pop right back open. It will first close by the closing motor but immediately opens up again if the key is in the trunk.

I have actually done this a few times by an accident and every time the trunk opened without locking me out.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by Arrie
Rest of the story is the trunk will pop right back open. It will first close by the closing motor but immediately opens up again if the key is in the trunk.

I have actually done this a few times by an accident and every time the trunk opened without locking me out.
Thanks for your reply , so will trunk open on its own ? Good to hear that
They don't call it smart key for nothing then lol
Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
there's a keyhole??
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by matts
I have had the same error message a few times. I find that all I need to do is push the unlock button on the FOB and then it recognizes, have not had to remove the plate to insert the key. This is with a new battery, but not an often issue.
-Matt
Same here. Happened to me a few times, but nothing that's been a problem yet.

You've indeed wasted your money on the Keyless Go option because the whole point of it is the convenience of "key free operating". You're supposed to hide the key somewhere on your person and forget about it, letting your hands dictate what you want the car to do. If you take it out and put it on a seat, then you've made an even bigger inconvenience for yourself. Might as well just take the button out, and use the car like a P1 car.

.... To reiterate, even with P2, your key DOES HAVE a home, and if you don't want it to be your pocket, then M-B allows you the option to use the car "normally".

For the trunk closer, it is also manually operating if you want it to be, so even if the motor goes out, you can use the trunk normally.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
there's a keyhole??
you won't see it. it's kind of hidden next to the license plate lights.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
the keyless business is one of the best ever....love it! never want another car without it, LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Message to remove plug and insert key to start