E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Just got shafted on servicing :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 Almost Stock, C63 Hardley Stock
Originally Posted by K-A
O/T, but anyone notice how M-B used to require Oil Changes every 13K miles, and now lowered it to 10K last year. Obviously the same cars and same powertrains.

A way to get more money out of us by prematurely changing oil sooner, or a correction by the engineering side? One has to wonder.
Na... I want to believe how laxy-daisy the common MB driver is on getting there car serviced... 10k turns into 12k..... 13k turns into 15k miles.... then sludge engine....

Everyone feels that its a "They are out to screw me" thing.... Again i dunno.. I just provide the "flip-side"......

Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
But which out of the 10K or 13K (new vs old) intervals are truly appropriated by the ENGINEERS? I.e, which are intended for the best mix of health for the engine, and value for the driver?

Clearly the bean counters are somewhere behind this, I just am curious to know which number they're behind.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by K-A
But which out of the 10K or 13K (new vs old) intervals are truly appropriated by the ENGINEERS? I.e, which are intended for the best mix of health for the engine, and value for the driver?

Clearly the bean counters are somewhere behind this, I just am curious to know which number they're behind.
From Mobil's Website....

Oil Change Interval: Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual. With Mobil 1´s high-performance reserves, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required;, however, some low quality filters may not be capable of protecting your engine throughout an extended oil change interval.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by Jaybone
i would like to add something here... Being that ive been in and out of the Service Advisor game for the last 10 years at MB.....

I'll tell you from the prespective of the other side of the desk.....

Dealer vs Indy......

My major gripe is this.. and it happens so many times.... Customer gets the oil changed on the outside (either indy or diy)... Then comes in a few weeks later complaining of a oil leak.... Ends up they either didnt change the rubber O rings on the filter housing, or pinched them.. and theres oil leaking all down the front of the engine, on the belt and its just a mess... (Side note: when i do mine i usually poke my finger in the oil housing and wipe some oil on the new ring so it dosent snag.) But now whos responsability is that? Puts me in a bad position... MB isint going to pay to clean the engine and replace the rings... Then i tell them that its not covered and then theres usually a disagreement....

Also if your not a "Hands On, Do it yourself person"... There is more then just a oil change involved... Ive done it, Ive seen all the techs do it... Checking and cleaning the water drains in the car, Lubing all the door/trunk/hood latches and locks. Rotating the tires, checking the brakes, correcting the tire pressures, checking the engine filters, topping off coolent, checking brake fluid... and theres a few more things....

You end up paying the labor which ive seen be 1.0 to 1.5 hours plus parts... and thats what makes it expensive... With labor rates where they are today, its a pretty penny.....

But for me.. i work there.. i have access to the lifts.. But i still put my car thru the shop and generate a repair order for its yearly service and also for the 39K mile REQUIRED Trans service (which is for all models)... I play it safe.. Its still a $70,000 car...

Also... many brands these days have alot shorter service intervals.. So the price across the year really isint that out of line... My Tahoe wants oil every 3-4k miles... i drove 15k miles in 8 months.. Thats 5!! Services/oil changes in 8 months.. lol...my Benz would of only been coming up on its 2nd.. lol

Anyway i see both sides of the desk... It sucks on both sides..... lol...
Do they REALLY do all that or just say they do, because really who is checking?

I've DIYed everything on my 01 3 series and just recently DIYed the mechatronic seal on my Z4. Not an easy one to do but I saved something like $400-500. Looks I will have to do the same for my E.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by MCD007
Do they REALLY do all that or just say they do, because really who is checking?

I've DIYed everything on my 01 3 series and just recently DIYed the mechatronic seal on my Z4. Not an easy one to do but I saved something like $400-500. Looks I will have to do the same for my E.
Hands down.. You always save money DIY...

i do my walk arounds... I would say my guys do... Cant speak for everyone... But these guys do the services all day long its like an automatic.. Its like any other job, Foremans are watching, managment is watching, they are under a watchfull eye.... And the more they check the car better it is for them, they might find some issues they can warranty... or find some customer pay items.. all and all they usually go over the car throughly because its good for them and also good for the customer....
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by Jaybone
Na... I want to believe how laxy-daisy the common MB driver is on getting there car serviced... 10k turns into 12k..... 13k turns into 15k miles.... then sludge engine....

Everyone feels that its a "They are out to screw me" thing.... Again i dunno.. I just provide the "flip-side"......

That looks horrible
Mechanicians at the dealership told me that car oil should be changed no longer than 1 year regardless of mileage . Let's say MB says 10K miles but you turn out to be 5K miles but as soon as you hit 1 year mark , you need to change the oil from what I see . Otherwise here is the image lol
Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by K-A

When manufacturers started recommending really long service intervals (i.e., 10k or beyond), my friend's mechanic actually assumed it was b/c the manufacturers wanted the cars to break down FASTER (and thus getting customers to buy new cars more quickly).

My 2003 Accord required an oil change every 3000-4000 miles (at least that's what the dealer recommended). Since I've been driving 17+k miles a year for the past few yrs, I was literally bringing it in for service like every 2-3 months. And since they recommended the premium oil for an older car, the total per yr for maintenance wasn't that far off what the OP had to pay (and that doesn't include the fact that my car requires $400+ each month for 3 consecutive months for non-standard service visits, and the dealer was recommending that several hundred dollars more in maintenance was needed.... It was after this that I decided to get my own MB....).

To the OP, MB service stations do tend to charge a lot of $. It's important to find a good service manager that you trust. I haven't yet had to service my C250, so I can't comment on what the most recent prices are, but, yes, you do have to pay for gas on a loaner (at least I did when I took in my dad's C300 a few yrs ago).

I'm not sure why you expected maintenance in the first year to be free, since no other luxury make other than BMW does that, to my knowledge. I think Audi used to offer it but no longer does. And did you say that Ferrari offers maintenance for free? I'm under the impression people are paying full MSRP (if not much, much more) for a $200,000-300,000 car. Not really a fair comparison.

As for comparing the price of a new BMW to a new MB.... It doesn't really help to compare MSRP. My family's only owned one BMW (and will NEVER own one again, based on our rather horrific experience w/ reliability issues and the RFTs), but my strong impression is that MB gives much more off of MSRP than does BMW.

But sorry you had such a bad experience.... Having a bad service experience can really put a bad taste in your mouth....

Last edited by alsyli; 03-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I think you are confusing one year maintenance with some kind of warranty for nomrmal wear items. If car was new, warranty is four years/48,000 miles except for wear items. Never heard of a one year maintenance plan.
BMW and others have included maintenance with purchase. NOT free; you just pay for it with payments on car. No dealer or company can afford to provide free maintenance.
M-B does have pre-paid maintenance plans for 3 and more years.
When I purchased the car, I asked the sales rep what the maintenance costs were for three years and he told me.
As for loaner, that is 100% up to the dealer to provide. Here again, sales rep told me a loaner every time I bring the car to them because I bought it from them. Of course, that cost for him is also built into what he charges for car and maintenance.
I use the dealer until warranty expires as a minimum, usually permanently. Have had too many problems with independents who didn't fix something correctly, broke something (not my fault) and then have no recourse to a higher authority. Even oil changes on my non-MB vehicles.
Also, independents have no access to all the recall, update, etc. information in the MBUSA computer. They can purchase most of it, but do they? Doubt it.
Used to change my own oil and filters, but haven't in past 10 years or longer. Just not worth the trouble and time for the few dollars you save.
As for warranty issues, law may require MBUSA to honor it even if someone else or owner does routine maintenance, but will there be a fight over a $500 plus expense? You bet. Could say some of the required inspections were not completed satisfactorily.
If you don't believe me, read the Operators Manual. I have never see so many statements re: warranty may be voided if not performed to standards of a MB service center. Consider the extra cost as insurance.
Oh-oil and other services should be performed when manual says to. Most dealers still use the old 3,000 mile thing because lots of people believe it. Of course, they also purchase the $150 annual injector cleaning.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by alsyli
And did you say that Ferrari offers maintenance for free? I'm under the impression people are paying full MSRP (if not much, much more) for a $200,000-300,000 car. Not really a fair comparison.

Yea they do. It also transfers with ownership so if you buy it 5 yrs old you still are cost free for another 2 years.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
damn I'd love to have a 308 out in my drivewayyeah; just like Magnum
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Yea they do. It also transfers with ownership so if you buy it 5 yrs old you still are cost free for another 2 years.
I wasn't doubting whether you are correct or not. My point was that you can't compare the "built ins" of a $55,000 car to a $300,000 car. How about we compare the fuel mileage or the cost of tires on a mainstream MB to that of the Ferrari? I'm pretty sure you're going to make up the difference in "free" maintenance there.... ::shrug::
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
To me, it would seem that Ferrari doesn't throw in the cost of maintenance for the convenience of the owner. There must be some other reason. Maybe they want to increase traffic at the authorized Ferrari dealers/mechanics?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
The 1 year of 10,000 miles is STUPID. If a car is driven twice a week with a mixture of highway and city driving for an average of 200 miles of month you mean to tell me it needs an oil change after 1 year!? I believe MB is the only manufacturer that dictates oil changes based on a time interval, not a mileage interval or oil conditioning monitor.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 PM

E350 Coupe
The yearly oil change recommendation is not an MB thing. It's a generally accepted industry recommendation. Oil sitting in the oil pan of your vehicle is not like oil sitting in a sealed container. It ages...it starts to break down and the breakdown still happens during those 200 miles of use per month. Oil is so cheap to replace at a yearly interval even if your nowhere near the mileage that it's just foolish not to. Just for the peace of mind factor. If you own a car that you do not drive frequently with very low mileage it's just a better idea to have all services done by age not mileage. Replacement parts cost significantly more than replacement fluids.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Dealer/warranty work
indy shop/everything else

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, everybody has a time expiration with oil changes, it's hardly an M-B only thing.

I just passed 11K miles, and my Display is about to pass the "900 miles over" mark. Haven't had the time lately but figure my car is dirty anyway due to all the rain, so will take it in for the oil change and get a wash out of it as well. Of course, crossing my fingers that I don't regret the wash part and they don't screw anything up in that regard.

There are enough Dealers near me to where I can cross shop prices and even find Coupons that last year got my old E an A service for under $140. Not too bad, considering.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by MCF
The 1 year of 10,000 miles is STUPID. If a car is driven twice a week with a mixture of highway and city driving for an average of 200 miles of month you mean to tell me it needs an oil change after 1 year!? I believe MB is the only manufacturer that dictates oil changes based on a time interval, not a mileage interval or oil conditioning monitor.
Absolutely!!! 1 year or 10k mi. It is not absolute but a good guideline. The contaminates that get trapped in oil if let to sit eventually do the harm an oil change protects you from. Why on earth would anyone buy ANY car and cheap-out totally on oil changes? Perhaps MB should include something like this......

(Warning: purchasing a Mercedes can cause unreal expectations of perfection, increased ***** size and larger *********. Some owners have reported losing their vehicles in divorce. Service bills have been known to cause erratic breathing, internal bleeding and death.) Mecedes Benz is not for everyone. Ask your doctor if Mercedes is right for you.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by El Cid
I think you are confusing one year maintenance with some kind of warranty for nomrmal wear items. If car was new, warranty is four years/48,000 miles except for wear items. Never heard of a one year maintenance plan.
BMW and others have included maintenance with purchase. NOT free; you just pay for it with payments on car. No dealer or company can afford to provide free maintenance.
M-B does have pre-paid maintenance plans for 3 and more years.
When I purchased the car, I asked the sales rep what the maintenance costs were for three years and he told me.
As for loaner, that is 100% up to the dealer to provide. Here again, sales rep told me a loaner every time I bring the car to them because I bought it from them. Of course, that cost for him is also built into what he charges for car and maintenance.
I use the dealer until warranty expires as a minimum, usually permanently. Have had too many problems with independents who didn't fix something correctly, broke something (not my fault) and then have no recourse to a higher authority. Even oil changes on my non-MB vehicles.
Also, independents have no access to all the recall, update, etc. information in the MBUSA computer. They can purchase most of it, but do they? Doubt it.
Used to change my own oil and filters, but haven't in past 10 years or longer. Just not worth the trouble and time for the few dollars you save.
As for warranty issues, law may require MBUSA to honor it even if someone else or owner does routine maintenance, but will there be a fight over a $500 plus expense? You bet. Could say some of the required inspections were not completed satisfactorily.
If you don't believe me, read the Operators Manual. I have never see so many statements re: warranty may be voided if not performed to standards of a MB service center. Consider the extra cost as insurance.
Oh-oil and other services should be performed when manual says to. Most dealers still use the old 3,000 mile thing because lots of people believe it. Of course, they also purchase the $150 annual injector cleaning.
Correct. The amount of ignorance in this thread is appalling.

Maintenance can be done at a dealership, an indy, a lift at an auto hobby shop or in your driveway. As long as you do the maintenance and use approved filters and fluids then there is no affect on your warranty. If maintenance is done anywhere but a dealer, then you'll want to keep receipts showing what fluids were used and if you DIY, then you'll want to keep a logbook detailing what was done when.

There hasn't been maintenance included with MB for years and it boggles the mind that somebody can spend $50k plus on a car and not do basic research. I also don't understand how anybody can confuse a reduced one year warranty on defects for certain wear and tear parts for a maintenance plan.

AFAIK, only BMW, VW and Volvo are the only Europeans offering included maintenance and believe me, you do pay for it. Comparing MSRPs of unequally spec'd out cars (or even of cars with very similar specs) means nothing. Nobody gives you anything for nothing.

OP learned the hard way to read his owners manual and to do basic research before buying and servicing his car.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Just venting.

Took my car into dealer to get serviced since computer was telling me to. Bought the car in July last year. I assumed service fell under maintenance plan (1 yr) like my previous BMW.

Boy was I wrong, car has 2200 miles and I have to pay $239 for the service. In addition I have to pay $30 for a loaner. BMW gave free loaners and performed ALL servicing the first 4 years for free.

So I am paying $269 for a 15 min oil change. Never going to service again.
I don't think anyone caught this: 9 month old car. 2,200 miles. The service warning message was a defect. You should have been in the service department to have the erroneous message cleared. For free. A reputable dealer would have caught this.
Read the manual. Read the service book. Both came with your car.

Wayne
Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
(Warning: purchasing a Mercedes can cause unreal expectations of perfection, increased ***** size and larger *********. Some owners have reported losing their vehicles in divorce. Service bills have been known to cause erratic breathing, internal bleeding and death.) Mecedes Benz is not for everyone. Ask your doctor if Mercedes is right for you.

LOL!!!!! at PA
Old 04-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by venchka
I don't think anyone caught this: 9 month old car. 2,200 miles. The service warning message was a defect. You should have been in the service department to have the erroneous message cleared. For free. A reputable dealer would have caught this.
Read the manual. Read the service book. Both came with your car.

Wayne
I suspect that part of the dealer prep for delivery is a reset of the timer that sets off the one year interval for service. If this step is omitted, then one year is measured from the time the car is built or received by the dealer.

I had a similar thing happen with a Volvo. It had identical service requirements of 1yr or 10,000 miles. I know the car sat on the dealer's lot for six months before it was sold. Sure enough, six months after I bought it, the service interval light came on with only about 2,000 miles on it.

Regards,
Don
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by MCF
LEXUS--Every 5000 Miles
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MCF
You're kidding, right?

Every manufacturer has a "time backup" if the car is driven infrequently and doesn't reach a certain mileage.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
MCF: Just trade the thing in and get on with your life. The facts as you state them:

1) Bought MB not realizing it was not a BMW.
2) You believe that since oil has been in the ground for millions of years, why should you have to replace yours after only a year.
3) All other manufactures are better and offer better things.
4) $300k Ferraris rule...( I actually agree with this one and think this is what you should get....just for the warranty alone)
5) All MB owners are out to get you. (Again, I agree with this...we are....lol)

Based on the above, I am not sure what your hesitation is. Just trade it and get on with it. Make sure that you understand that your Ferrari will not be a BMW either. You will be fine. Good luck man!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImInPA
MCF: Just trade the thing in and get on with your life. The facts as you state them:

1) Bought MB not realizing it was not a BMW.
2) You believe that since oil has been in the ground for millions of years, why should you have to replace yours after only a year.
3) All other manufactures are better and offer better things.
4) $300k Ferraris rule...( I actually agree with this one and think this is what you should get....just for the warranty alone)
5) All MB owners are out to get you. (Again, I agree with this...we are....lol)

Based on the above, I am not sure what your hesitation is. Just trade it and get on with it. Make sure that you understand that your Ferrari will not be a BMW either. You will be fine. Good luck man!!!
Actually, Ferrari's warranty isn't that good and doesn't include scheduled maintenance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got shafted on servicing :(