E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

0-60 Time for '12 E-Class...Anyone???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
This is the best post I have ever read by you and I agree completely. And I have read a LOT of your posts

Once a BMW driver tried to race me at a stop light. I knew the specs of the car he was driving and I knew I could eat him for a snack if I wanted to but thank god I decided to stay the hell away from that guy. When the light turned green he nailed it and actually lost control of his car. It spun around and went over a sidewalk and came back on the road and ended up sitting in the middle of the road facing the opposite direction. I was smart enough to stay far away and behind him as I did not take the bait and it was probably the smartest thing I had ever done while driving my entire life. I could have passed him but when he lost control of his car he could have easily side swiped me and dragged me into his driving fiasco. + can you imagine if there was an innocent person on the sidewalk? If such a person got run over by the idiot BMW driver and I was actively racing him, I would then have been implicated and liable for street racing and being an accessory to an accident, bodily injury to someone else, or worse.

That incident was very sobering for me and I hope anyone reading this remembers my incident the next time an idiot tries to bait you to a race. It is just not worth it and you have NOTHING to prove. At the end of the day, you are the guy driving the Mercedes and you are better off not risking damage to your car unnecessarily.

The guy who drove the BMW probably suffered at least about $2,000 worth of damage to his car and front-end when he jumped the curb and he would have taken anyone near him with him.

I only out accelerate someone if I have somewhere to get to and I'm running late and even at that only if I can make a very clean path ahead and away and not cut off someone or put someone at risk in any way. Drive on your own terms and for yourself and don't let other people influence your driving, as that's when you get in trouble.

Originally Posted by K-A
That's just the thing. This IS a Forum of classy exec Sedans, so someone ranting about their cars 0-60 times and racing minivans' and coining their conservative cruiser a "Powerhouse" righteously will rub people the wrong way.

You seem like a well spirited guy, but your first post looked like something you'd see on the Camaro boards, not on a classy "Executive Sedan" board.

Considering your statement about buying an E350 or C300 depending on who was faster, I just don't get your fixation on speed with cars of this class. The 2012 E350 is a 6 second 0-60 car.... sorry, but if you're talking competitiveness here, that's not in any way fast.

Also, the E-Class is NOT a Sports Sedan. Don't let the marketing gimmick of "Sports Package" fool you. This car has major body lean on the turns, and the transmission isn't tuned for aggressive driving (opposite in fact). Those are tell tales as to what kind of car this is supposed to be.

I absolutely adore my car and there isn't one I'd rather have over it.... I purposely bought a Luxury Sedan over a Sports Car because it's more appealing in so many ways to me.... but I bought it for what it is, not what it's not.

As for stoplight and street racing. Some of us have either been in close calls ourselves and wised up, and/or lost friends in them (raises hand). Therefore, it's personal when this subject comes up.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
This is the best post I have ever read by you and I agree completely. And I have read a LOT of your posts

Once a BMW driver tried to race me at a stop light. I knew the specs of the car he was driving and I knew I could eat him for a snack if I wanted to but thank god I decided to stay the hell away from that guy. When the light turned green he nailed it and actually lost control of his car. It spun around and went over a sidewalk and came back on the road and ended up sitting in the middle of the road facing the opposite direction. I was smart enough to stay far away and behind him as I did not take the bait and it was probably the smartest thing I had ever done while driving my entire life. I could have passed him but when he lost control of his car he could have easily side swiped me and dragged me into his driving fiasco. + can you imagine if there was an innocent person on the sidewalk? If such a person got run over by the idiot BMW driver and I was actively racing him, I would then have been implicated and liable for street racing and being an accessory to an accident, bodily injury to someone else, or worse.

That incident was very sobering for me and I hope anyone reading this remembers my incident the next time an idiot tries to bait you to a race. It is just not worth it and you have NOTHING to prove. At the end of the day, you are the guy driving the Mercedes and you are better off not risking damage to your car unnecessarily.

The guy who drove the BMW probably suffered at least about $2,000 worth of damage to his car and front-end when he jumped the curb and he would have taken anyone near him with him.

I only out accelerate someone if I have somewhere to get to and I'm running late and even at that only if I can make a very clean path ahead and away and not cut off someone or put someone at risk in any way. Drive on your own terms and for yourself and don't let other people influence your driving, as that's when you get in trouble.
I appreciate your keeping calm and docile because in such cases , someone could have accept his invitation for race and hence a terrible consequences . Your post reminded me of two idiot Corvette drivers that I saw on the net a few months ago , these two turkeys all of sudden lost the control of their cars and collided into each other

So, it always pays to be very warry no matter what you drive and
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
I guess what I've failed to acknowledge is that I agree w/ everything some of you guys are saying about racing. Your above statement, WEBSRFR, is basically the only time that I really do push it. AGAIN, I didn't intend for this thread to be a public service announcement for driver safety...although, a few "beware" posts would've been very nice, even welcomed. 0-60 times was the target...that was it. My last sentence in my OP got some of you guys all worked up and I suppose that's the essence of this particular category... Really wasn't looking to induce labor w/ my statement...was just trying to be funny... It's a new car w/ a decently powered engine, so I tested it out. Heck, the salesperson was even giving me crap because I was being so cautious when I took it out on our test drive...he wanted me to punch it to feel the power. I see nothing wrong w/ that. So I decided to do it on my own, ONE TIME, while already @ speed (not @ a stoplight like everyone is incorrectly assuming). Just wanted to see what was available under the hood if I needed it, and the stupid minivan sped up, but I notched it down after pulling away. I turned that quick little experience into a "fun" statement, and there the spring was sprung! WEBSRFR's eye-opening experience kinda serves as a perfect metaphor for this thread...situation spinning out of control. So, it looks like my thread is trashed w/ safety propaganda and lessons on what owning a M-B luxury sedan is all about, I guess...thanks to those of you who took this over the top. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, por favor?

Last edited by hofb99; 04-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
ok, i'm not sure how "reliable" the data from mbusa.com but here you go and they are all for 2012 models:

e350: 0-60mph acceleration 6.5 seconds
e350 bluetec: 0-60mph acceleration 6.7 seconds
e550 4matic: 0-60mph acceleration 5.2 seconds
e63: 0-60mph acceleration 4.2 seconds
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by hofb99
I applaud your effort and tenacity w/ everything you're TRYING to teach me (as if I didn't already know)... Everything you said above is just plain common sense and for the most part, I actually agree w/ you...but I'm plenty grown, so I don't think all the shunning is necessary. You obviously didn't pay attention to anything I said earlier... Bottom line, enough is enough...you simply misunderstood me. So let's get back to posting useful info and stop bickering back and forth. I bought the E350 fundamentally for the same reasons everyone else here did... I was only having a little fun w/ my comment. Once again, forgive me for trying to evoke a little laughter (in keeping it light). Please no more on this...I know better next time what to say and what not to say here...
It's all good. You can't blame people for getting personally bent about anything that relates to street racing, and you can't blame enthusiasts of these cars for getting bent by people trying to drag race them on public streets. Seems it was a misunderstanding all in all.

Great story and totally agreed.

I always tell people who ask if something can "beat" my car, that my car would never lose in a race, because I would never race it. I don't care if the BMW 3435433XX has more HP, because I'd rarely exploit it, and it couldn't beat my car in a drag race or road course.... because my car would never drag race or road course.

Originally Posted by BM2BZ
ok, i'm not sure how "reliable" the data from mbusa.com but here you go and they are all for 2012 models:

Wow, I wonder if they ever updated the times from the 268 HP E350? MBUSA are always very conservative (read: slow) with their estimates, but 6.5 seconds is a little bit slower than the 2011 E350 should do it. The 300 HP version should be about a half second or so at least faster than that. More proof that the E-Class isn't a Sport Sedan. That 300 HP is meant to make for an effortless and soothingly luxurious takeoff, it isn't geared to be maximized in all out performance levels.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, I wonder if they ever updated the times from the 268 HP E350? MBUSA are always very conservative (read: slow) with their estimates, but 6.5 seconds is a little bit slower than the 2011 E350 should do it. The 300 HP version should be about a half second or so at least faster than that. More proof that the E-Class isn't a Sport Sedan. That 300 HP is meant to make for an effortless and soothingly luxurious takeoff, it isn't geared to be maximized in all out performance levels.
i hear ya. that's why i said i don't know how "reliable" their data but those info could easily find from their site. btw, the e550 and e63 numbers look quite accurate, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
Yeah, that's what I thought! But I searched about 10 different dealer inventories around me (some almost 75 miles away) and couldn't find ONE C350 in 4Matic... My dealer told me that they're just really hard to come by... But just as well...I LOVE the E!!! Maybe someday I'll be able to upgrade to the 550! We'll see!!!

how very interesting.... up here north of the border (toronto area) C350s are a dime a dozen. If you do an autotrader search for my region, you'll see pages of used C350s... most of them 4matics as well
Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
I guess what I've failed to acknowledge is that I agree w/ everything some of you guys are saying about racing. Your above statement, WEBSRFR, is basically the only time that I really do push it. AGAIN, I didn't intend for this thread to be a public service announcement for driver safety...although, a few "beware" posts would've been very nice, even welcomed. 0-60 times was the target...that was it. My last sentence in my OP got some of you guys all worked up and I suppose that's the essence of this particular category... Really wasn't looking to induce labor w/ my statement...was just trying to be funny... It's a new car w/ a decently powered engine, so I tested it out. Heck, the salesperson was even giving me crap because I was being so cautious when I took it out on our test drive...he wanted me to punch it to feel the power. I see nothing wrong w/ that. So I decided to do it on my own, ONE TIME, while already @ speed (not @ a stoplight like everyone is incorrectly assuming). Just wanted to see what was available under the hood if I needed it, and the stupid minivan sped up, but I notched it down after pulling away. I turned that quick little experience into a "fun" statement, and there the spring was sprung! WEBSRFR's eye-opening experience kinda serves as a perfect metaphor for this thread...situation spinning out of control. So, it looks like my thread is trashed w/ safety propaganda and lessons on what owning a M-B luxury sedan is all about, I guess...thanks to those of you who took this over the top. Now back to our regularly scheduled program, por favor?
None of these people own the forum. Unfortunately they're free to stink up a thread at will by talking down to everyone. Just as bad as the types in "other" forums they think they're better than. Good thing you're also free to NGAF about any of them. Some people here are actually helpful instead of throwing in their worthless 2 cents at every thread.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by brauhaus313
None of these people own the forum. Unfortunately they're free to stink up a thread at will by talking down to everyone. Just as bad as the types in "other" forums they think they're better than. Good thing you're also free to NGAF about any of them. Some people here are actually helpful instead of throwing in their worthless 2 cents at every thread.
I guess you've never lost someone due to a street race.

It's never not-okay to lambast somebody for even insinuating reckless driving on public roads.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
WEBSRFR, that story is a good reminder. Just out of curiosity did you stop and help the BMW driver?

Reminds me of a few years ago when I had a C300 loaner and was out to dinner on friday with another couple and some highschool kids started revving their engine next to us in an old dodge stratus. The other guy in the car with us and I thought we were being punked. Luckily I resisted the temptation to prove a 2010 or so C300 was faster than a 1999 stratus. They proceeded to burn out their front wheels at every traffic light of a congested road. The area I live in has about a million cops who are very big on illegal u-turns and seat belt tickets but unfortunate weren't any near by, I almost wanted to call them.

Off topic, but OP where did you get your windows tinted in the DC/MD/VA area? I am researching shops now for the W212.

Also, OP i think you lucked out with not being able to find a C350 4M. Unless you specifically want a smaller sedan I think the E is leaps and bounds better overall. I also somewhat share your concerns about 4M in the DC area but still went with the RWD BTC. We have and SUV for when its bad, just hopefully won't get stuck in a 12hr commute home though like some many in 2011...

Last edited by Mbenz260e; 04-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM

asdas
Originally Posted by K-A
I guess you've never lost someone due to a street race.

It's never not-okay to lambast somebody for even insinuating reckless driving on public roads.
Thought you'd pull that card again. I'm sure you feel bad about your buddy, but that doesn't give you license to talk down to people, as is your practice on a multitude of topics and threads.

If you'd lambast this guy to his face, then I wouldn't question you for being a %!ck. I just don't think you'd have the *****.

Let's keep it civil, on topic, and not clutter this thread up anymore.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
WEBSRFR, that story is a good reminder. Just out of curiosity did you stop and help the BMW driver?

Reminds me of a few years ago when I had a C300 loaner and was out to dinner on friday with another couple and some highschool kids started revving their engine next to us in an old dodge stratus. The other guy in the car with us and I thought we were being punked. Luckily I resisted the temptation to prove a 2010 or so C300 was faster than a 1999 stratus. They proceeded to burn out their front wheels at every traffic light of a congested road. The area I live in has about a million cops who are very big on illegal u-turns and seat belt tickets but unfortunate weren't any near by, I almost wanted to call them.
When this happened I had owned my 550 for barely 5 days and I was honestly afraid for myself and my car as the whole incident was so freaky. I bet the driver of the BMW was pissed for his car being ruined but it was his own doing and I just did not want to take the chance of him doing something irrational to me or my car as the whole incident has proved to me that he is not a normal or rational person.

HOWEVER -- I don't live that far away so after I safely garage parked my 550 I took my second car out and drove there to make sure they are okay. That's when I found out that the BMW was basically not drivable anymore and the whole bumper was demolished and dangling from the car from jumping over the curb. I think the BMW driver wanted to do a burnout or some other stunt "to show me something" because he was annoyed that I did not want to race him.

Like I said it was a sobering experience and lesson on leaving the crazies alone and how dangerous a casual stop light race can turnout -- especially if you happen to engage with an idiot.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by brauhaus313
Thought you'd pull that card again. I'm sure you feel bad about your buddy, but that doesn't give you license to talk down to people, as is your practice on a multitude of topics and threads.

If you'd lambast this guy to his face, then I wouldn't question you for being a %!ck. I just don't think you'd have the *****.

Let's keep it civil, on topic, and not clutter this thread up anymore.
LOL. Talk about not keeping it civil.

And, yes, I do have a license to talk down to people who do things I don't perceive are just to the rest of society. You do to. You should exercise it appropriately next time.

What's your contribution here, anyway?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
man! my 550 does 0-60 in like 3 seconds.........dunno what you guys are going on about
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM

2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
When this happened I had owned my 550 for barely 5 days and I was honestly afraid for myself and my car as the whole incident was so freaky. I bet the driver of the BMW was pissed for his car being ruined but it was his own doing and I just did not want to take the chance of him doing something irrational to me or my car as the whole incident has proved to me that he is not a normal or rational person.

HOWEVER -- I don't live that far away so after I safely garage parked my 550 I took my second car out and drove there to make sure they are okay. That's when I found out that the BMW was basically not drivable anymore and the whole bumper was demolished and dangling from the car from jumping over the curb. I think the BMW driver wanted to do a burnout or some other stunt "to show me something" because he was annoyed that I did not want to race him.

Like I said it was a sobering experience and lesson on leaving the crazies alone and how dangerous a casual stop light race can turnout -- especially if you happen to engage with an idiot.
hell of a story. I probably would have done something similar to you, never know what was going through his head. Hopefully his financial consequences and embarrassment taught him a lesson and by not having injured himself or anyone else he got off really cheap...
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by hyperion667
man! my 550 does 0-60 in like 3 seconds.........dunno what you guys are going on about
You must have one of the special 550s with the E65 V12 badge package

Seriously though I doubt I can do much better than 5 seconds flat in my 550. I think anything much better is AMG territory.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

asdas
Originally Posted by K-A

And, yes, I do have a license to talk down to people who do things I don't perceive are just to the rest of society. You do to. You should exercise it appropriately next time.
Haha, high horse much? Oh, that's right, you do...alot. Your self-righteousness is astounding.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
Off topic, but OP where did you get your windows tinted in the DC/MD/VA area? I am researching shops now for the W212.

Also, OP i think you lucked out with not being able to find a C350 4M. Unless you specifically want a smaller sedan I think the E is leaps and bounds better overall. I also somewhat share your concerns about 4M in the DC area but still went with the RWD BTC. We have and SUV for when its bad, just hopefully won't get stuck in a 12hr commute home though like some many in 2011...
You were here when that happened too?!!! My wife was stuck on 295 for almost 8 freaking hours!!! I was down in Hampton @ the time, so I missed out...but SHE WAS PISSED!!!

And as far as the tint, google "HP Racing" in Glen Burnie, MD...CAN NOT GO WRONG! Absolutely professional job...but because I went w/ the new Carbon XP, it cost about $320 total...and that was w/ him giving me a break for the windshield strip up top... But they have different types to choose from (others less expensive).
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by BM2BZ

Most of the reviews I read on the Bluetec had it in the low to mid 7s, making the 6.7 second claim seem a bit optimistic. I will say that mine has gotten quicker now that is has some miles on it. By my own stopwatch, when new, I got about 7.3 secs. Now that I have about 33k mi. I have seen 6.9, using the same method and stopwatch. In any event, all of these vehicles are plenty fast for the large, comfortable vehicles they are.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM

You were here when that happened too?!!! My wife was stuck on 295 for almost 8 freaking hours!!! I was down in Hampton @ the time, so I missed out...but SHE WAS PISSED!!!

And as far as the tint, google "HP Racing" in Glen Burnie, MD...CAN NOT GO WRONG! Absolutely professional job...but because I went w/ the new Carbon XP, it cost about $320 total...and that was w/ him giving me a break for the windshield strip up top... But they have different types to choose from (others less expensive).
Luckily it was a very rare work from home day when that fiasco happened thank god. But had many friends with 6-12hr commutes that day was ridiculous. A good friend was in Baltimore left work at 4pm and got home at 4am, was on the road the whole time...

Thanks for the info on the tints! Another friend also suggested a different shop in Glen Burnie...seems to be the best place in this area....
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450

My wife was on GW parkway for 8 hours too. Funny thing is that my wife cannot drive in snow. No sense for it since she grew up in FL. BUT we had just bought her a C300 4matic and she had zero issues aside from other drivers. In her old car, she would've been one of those stranded for sure. Love 4matic.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by ttoE550
My wife was on GW parkway for 8 hours too. Funny thing is that my wife cannot drive in snow. No sense for it since she grew up in FL. BUT we had just bought her a C300 4matic and she had zero issues aside from other drivers. In her old car, she would've been one of those stranded for sure. Love 4matic.
LOL! Small world! Wifey's from Miami too! Grew up in Carol City...but I must say, she can drive w/ the best of 'em! She had FWD @ that time, but she was fuming!!! It caught everyone up here off guard, because nobody was prepared for the amount/type of snow that was dumped that day...absolutely horrible!!! I would've been livid! I mean, for real, Mbenz260e...12 hours on the road?!! 4pm to 4am??? Really feel for your friend...you and I BOTH lucked up! If it were ME =

Last edited by hofb99; 04-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM

'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
usually in a 15-20 seconds if I keep it under 2000rpm.

Nevermind I drive diesel.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by Fung63
how very interesting.... up here north of the border (toronto area) C350s are a dime a dozen. If you do an autotrader search for my region, you'll see pages of used C350s... most of them 4matics as well
Trust me, autotrader was the first place I looked and there were 0 hits in my area... All that came up were mostly C350 coupes and RWDs...none in 4M... But, all-in-all, as a poster in this thread already pointed out the bennies of owning an E, I AM NOT COMPLAINING...I LOVE THE E...it's so darn comfortable and classy! Am I wrong, mbworld???
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
Trust me, autotrader was the first place I looked and there were 0 hits in my area... All that came up were mostly C350 coupes and RWDs...none in 4M... But, all-in-all, as a poster in this thread already pointed out the bennies of owning an E, I AM NOT COMPLAINING...I LOVE THE E...it's so darn comfortable and classy! Am I wrong, mbworld???
wasnt implying that you didnt use autotrader... was just surprised that while your area is dry of 4matics C350, mine is flooded with them. I guess the Canadian weather makes for good 4matic markets

as for the E class. absolutely! it is truly a beautiful machine. If I wasnt picking up a C63 in a week or so, I would be looking at a E class.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 0-60 Time for '12 E-Class...Anyone???