E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Headrest/settings not sticking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
Question Headrest/settings not sticking?

I've been searching here this morning, but haven't found anything useful so I thought I'd ask.

On several occasions, I've unlocked my car to find my headrest or the passenger headrests raised, even though I had previously lowered them and set the memory (1,2,3) to that position. Also, my mirrors (I keep set to SAE standards) are also not sticking the way I've set them.

The seat seems to be holding it's position, as well as the steering wheel.

Has anyone had this happen? I've swapped transmitters and this still happens randomly. I may mention to the dealer in 4k miles when the first oil service is due.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
not sure if this is your first mb and not to be a smart a$$ but how did you set the memories? did you press the "m" first then press and hold the numbers? i know some people didn't go through the manual for this kind of minor stuff. if you did everything right, you should have your dealer check this out.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
not sure if this is your first mb and not to be a smart a$$ but how did you set the memories? did you press the "m" first then press and hold the numbers? i know some people didn't go through the manual for this kind of minor stuff. if you did everything right, you should have your dealer check this out.
Yes, I hit "M", then the numbers. I even set 1,2,3 all the same. I'll have them take a look, I've emailed, and of course, get the "we've never heard of that" ...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
would like to know what's going on as well. please keep us posted.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
Same issue here on my 2010 E350, but for the driver's headrest only. Never figured out what sequence of events causes this, but never was too concerned about it. Kind of a random event. I don't play much with the seat / back / headrest settings so yes it's a bit odd that the settings change by themselves. I use a single key transmitter and there are no other drivers. Would not be surprised if there are others out there with the same issue, but never bothered to report it here.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
The only thing I can think of is that when you move the seats forward the head rest goes up. I had the same thing happening with the passenger side only and we finally figured out that when the boys would ride up front and slide the seat forward it would automatically raise the headrest at the same time. The wife would get it and be like WTH?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by Pntblnk
The only thing I can think of is that when you move the seats forward the head rest goes up. I had the same thing happening with the passenger side only and we finally figured out that when the boys would ride up front and slide the seat forward it would automatically raise the headrest at the same time. The wife would get it and be like WTH?
that's different than what op has mentioned. this is a safety feature that you are talking about and there is a thread somewhere. but op said the headrests and mirrors were in different positions when he unlocked the car. that doesn't sound right. i hope his dealer can figure out what's going on.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexus gx470
Mine is same. Headrests automatically go up no matter how seat back is adjusted.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM

E350 BT
Thanks for all the ideas; I'm on day 2 now after resetting the front seats, and storing the same position for 1/2/3. As for the rear, still a mystery, but I did finally get to use the "rear headrests down" button
Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Mine is same. Headrests automatically go up no matter how seat back is adjusted.
that, once again, is the safety feature. no matter you adjust your seats forward or backward, the headrests will raise. but the op said both the headrests and mirrors are not in his set positions when he unlocked the car. that's something wrong.

Originally Posted by thekurgan
Thanks for all the ideas; I'm on day 2 now after resetting the front seats, and storing the same position for 1/2/3. As for the rear, still a mystery, but I did finally get to use the "rear headrests down" button
you shouldn't compromise for this. you are about to go to the dealer anyway, might as well have them check.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
that, once again, is the safety feature. no matter you adjust your seats forward or backward, the headrests will raise. but the op said both the headrests and mirrors are not in his set positions when he unlocked the car. that's something wrong.

you shouldn't compromise for this. you are about to go to the dealer anyway, might as well have them check.
Yes, I've sent an email to my SA who's added it to my bin list aside from tire rotation and oil service. Yes, my mirrors were also off, I keep them far out in the blind spot areas so I knew right away something was reset.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
I've been searching here this morning, but haven't found anything useful so I thought I'd ask.

On several occasions, I've unlocked my car to find my headrest or the passenger headrests raised, even though I had previously lowered them and set the memory (1,2,3) to that position. Also, my mirrors (I keep set to SAE standards) are also not sticking the way I've set them.

The seat seems to be holding it's position, as well as the steering wheel.

Has anyone had this happen? I've swapped transmitters and this still happens randomly. I may mention to the dealer in 4k miles when the first oil service is due.
Try this. When you press your preprogrammed 1, 2, or 3 seat buttons hold the button down until the headrest adjusts to its position selected by you. The last function to adjust to the 1,2,3, setting is the headrest. You have to keep the button depressed. When adjusting the seat fore and aft I noticed my headrest raises also.

Something else I noticed, I have my right outside mirror set to tilt down when in reverse, however if I had previously adjusted the left mirror before shifting to reverse and the mirror selector switch was on the driver's side mirror the right mirror would not go to the reverse position.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by RSIKR
Something else I noticed, I have my right outside mirror set to tilt down when in reverse, however if I had previously adjusted the left mirror before shifting to reverse and the mirror selector switch was on the driver's side mirror the right mirror would not go to the reverse position.
you are correct. in order for you to have the right mirror tilt down, you need to have the mirror selector on the passenger side. you can either leave it there all the time or press it when you reverse.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Wait, your rear seat headrests are being raised too? You've got gremlins, man. I think those have to be manually raised. Or you've got a teenager sneaking the car out at night, like I did when was, er, 13. Never got caught, but I'd have never messed with the mirrors and headrests. That's Deliquency 101.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Wait, your rear seat headrests are being raised too? You've got gremlins, man. I think those have to be manually raised. Or you've got a teenager sneaking the car out at night, like I did when was, er, 13. Never got caught, but I'd have never messed with the mirrors and headrests. That's Deliquency 101.
The rear may have been up and I had not noticed until I started looking closer at the front, they are manually raised, just never got a chance to try that button.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 AM

E-class
coupe of people above are right on the money there!

mercedes seats are very smart; when you adjust your seat to fit a larger (taller) person, the headrest automatically adjusts upward. however, the seats are not smart enough to adjust themselves downward when you move the seats forward...
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM

E350 BT
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
coupe of people above are right on the money there!

mercedes seats are very smart; when you adjust your seat to fit a larger (taller) person, the headrest automatically adjusts upward. however, the seats are not smart enough to adjust themselves downward when you move the seats forward...
Yes, I've seen this, however, I've not had a passenger in the car in a very long time. It's just weird to open your door and see things changed, unless the key fob is controlling this, but I would think when I set them in the car, the fob learns.