Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
"Nice Mercedes Benz car sir"

W212 Mercedes Benz Drivers: hello!

when you get compliments on your car/s; do you accept the compliment for yourself? or do you pass it along to 'the car' and agree with the admirer??

(like the Seinfeld joke on pants, LOL)

I myself cannot accept such a compliment, but I do always concur with the admirer's and explain "it's the car, not me, but I agree with you completely"

what say YOU?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I usually reject the compliment and ask them to contact Mercedes Benz Financial Services.

Just kidding, I just say thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
LOL everyone drives these cars where I live; in fact, I'm the only one on the street (out of 5-6 E classes) that only has P1 package. I wish my car was complimented
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i think the ones who received compliments are the ones w/at least some mods.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I can't say many people notice my car or my wife's. Both cars have blah colours and being four door cars, are quite generic. I always compare them to Buicks with a little less reliability but better drivers.

That being said, people do compliment me on my Porsche 911. It's distinctive and most people would like to have one of those useless hunks of German metal even if it was only for a week.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
The place I get complimented most is the carwash. Almost invariably, the immigrant kid who does the final drying and takes the claim check will say what a beautiful car it is.

Being old enough to be his grandfather, I want to plead with him to keep working hard and study so he can own one too. But I resist the temptation to pontificate, and wonder how realistic that really is in his world today.

Regards,
Don
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
BM2BZ,
Watch the auto auctions on TV. Top money always goes to all original cars.
I too just say, "Thank you."

Wayne
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM

E-class
i get compliments at gas stations and car wash places from time to time. people usually think it's worth more than it really is. must be the silver color!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
LOL, funny topic. I actually came out of my friends club in Philly 2 weeks ago and a younger guy said to me," that car is sick, thats a ballers car"... Ok, I guess??? lol
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
As common as the E's are, my car gets complimented constantly. These designs are so well executed in walking a fine line in conservative understated-ness, and statement-like stateliness, it's really all about how your car is equipped, the color combo, if you have any mods (not even a necessity, but some light sprucing up can work wonders in making it pop to its fullest potential), and most importantly, how clean it is. This has gone for all good M-B Sedan designs throughout history.

This is why I love the E. Understated when you want it to be, and stands out when you want it to. Even my W211 got lots of compliments in 2010. W126's still get admired, as do W210's, etc. etc. The 3-Box 4-Door M-B bloodline is strong.

I used to have a Mustang that was so fixed up and known in my area, that it was an extraverted attention grabber.... it also had no mufflers. That car literally turned heads everywhere it went. I put so much creativity into that car, I did take the compliments on the car as a personal "back pat" as Mustangs are even more common than E-Classes by far. The E is more acquired and classily subtle than that, and it obviously doesn't seek that same kind of attention, but people do appreciate and even show admiration for it. With this car, all the "props" goes toward the car, I always am appreciative of any positive words and humbly thank them, though I do take credit in picking it.

Last edited by K-A; 05-04-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
I've only been complimented by random people at drive throughs so far. I take it as a positive, given how many cars they see per shift.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by K-A
As common as the E's are, my car gets complimented constantly. These designs are so well executed in walking a fine line in conservative understated-ness, and statement-like stateliness, it's really all about how your car is equipped, the color combo, if you have any mods (not even a necessity, but some light sprucing up can work wonders in making it pop to its fullest potential), and most importantly, how clean it is. This has gone for all good M-B Sedan designs throughout history.

This is why I love the E. Understated when you want it to be, and stands out when you want it to. Even my W211 got lots of compliments in 2010. W126's still get admired, as do W210's, etc. etc. The 3-Box 4-Door M-B bloodline is strong.

I used to have a Mustang that was so fixed up and known in my area, that it was an extraverted attention grabber.... it also had no mufflers. That car literally turned heads everywhere it went. I put so much creativity into that car, I did take the compliments on the car as a personal "back pat" as Mustangs are even more common than E-Classes by far. The E is more acquired and classily subtle than that, and it obviously doesn't seek that same kind of attention, but people do appreciate and even show admiration for it. With this car, all the "props" goes toward the car, I always am appreciative of any positive words and humbly thank them, though I do take credit in picking it.

Understated when you want it to be, and stands out when you want it to

I think you can not summarize better how W212 E Class is like than these lines . This could be a good commercial line as well
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by venchka
BM2BZ,
Watch the auto auctions on TV. Top money always goes to all original cars.
I too just say, "Thank you."

Wayne
i know that but i was saying people usually give compliments on cars w/some mods unless it's a classic. i just couldn't stop looking at all those classic cars .
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
i know that but i was saying people usually give compliments on cars w/some mods unless it's a classic. i just couldn't stop looking at all those classic cars .
Once again, you are exactly right on both counts old friend! Your car needs to look a little different, unique, in order to be noticed by other car folks.

On the second count, you definitely can not compare classics with late models. Some folks are into classics and some are into late models. I personally care nothing about classics, but I do mod and accessorize my late model Corvette, Silverado and E350. People consistently compliment and take pictures of all three every where I go. My wife drives a nice 2010 Escalade but it never gets noticed because it doesn't have any mods or accessories.

Of course, my '03 Corvette is in a different category all together. It does have approximately $50,000 in mods and accessories. Although I drive it on the street, I only drive it to car shows and car functions throughout the southeast. I have entered a total of 168 car shows and won a total of 143 plaques and trophies. I only say this to say I do have some understanding of what creates a compliment or an impromptu picture taking session.

I once posted a pic of my E350 on this forum and someone made the comment, "I almost threw up in my mouth." when I saw it. I fully understand modding and accessorizing is not for everyone, but I can pretty much guarantee if my E350 and the individual who made the above statement was parked in a parking lot together, there would be more compliments and pictures aimed at mine. I don't add mods and accessories to my vehicles to get noticed, I do it because I have never been able to drive a vehicle the way it came from the factory. I want to enjoy it while I own it. My vehicles have to be unique, or as I have always said, they have to have a personality. I don't care what it is worth in 10, 20 or 30 years because I definitely won't own any of them that long.

Of course there is another issue here. People like me who put thousands into mods and accessories wind up losing a lot of money when you sell it, because the value of the car does not go up with added accessories. On the other hand, some cars may even be harder to sell or trade because of added accessories.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks and sacrifices each is willing to make to enjoy ownership of their vehicle.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
I got probably the strangest compliment just last night. Was filling up the wife's ML320 and a lady probably in her 50s came over and said she noticed how I opened up the fuel door (push in type same as the W212) and said it was really cool. She then proceeded to ask what kind of mileage i got and if the car could be classified as a mini-van...

But to answer OP, I usually accept the compliment but pass it onto the car or make a general statement on how MB builds great cars.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by BenzV12

Understated when you want it to be, and stands out when you want it to

I think you can not summarize better how W212 E Class is like than these lines . This could be a good commercial line as well
As long as I get royalties.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by CorvetteOJ
Once again, you are exactly right on both counts old friend! Your car needs to look a little different, unique, in order to be noticed by other car folks.

On the second count, you definitely can not compare classics with late models. Some folks are into classics and some are into late models. I personally care nothing about classics, but I do mod and accessorize my late model Corvette, Silverado and E350. People consistently compliment and take pictures of all three every where I go. My wife drives a nice 2010 Escalade but it never gets noticed because it doesn't have any mods or accessories.

Of course, my '03 Corvette is in a different category all together. It does have approximately $50,000 in mods and accessories. Although I drive it on the street, I only drive it to car shows and car functions throughout the southeast. I have entered a total of 168 car shows and won a total of 143 plaques and trophies. I only say this to say I do have some understanding of what creates a compliment or an impromptu picture taking session.

I once posted a pic of my E350 on this forum and someone made the comment, "I almost threw up in my mouth." when I saw it. I fully understand modding and accessorizing is not for everyone, but I can pretty much guarantee if my E350 and the individual who made the above statement was parked in a parking lot together, there would be more compliments and pictures aimed at mine. I don't add mods and accessories to my vehicles to get noticed, I do it because I have never been able to drive a vehicle the way it came from the factory. I want to enjoy it while I own it. My vehicles have to be unique, or as I have always said, they have to have a personality. I don't care what it is worth in 10, 20 or 30 years because I definitely won't own any of them that long.

Of course there is another issue here. People like me who put thousands into mods and accessories wind up losing a lot of money when you sell it, because the value of the car does not go up with added accessories. On the other hand, some cars may even be harder to sell or trade because of added accessories.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks and sacrifices each is willing to make to enjoy ownership of their vehicle.
+1 . btw, i don't mind to mod my car if i have your bank accounts .
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212, W204, W222, C219
i just say "thanks" eventho everyone thinks its a new Bentley because of the "B" emblems lol
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
damn illmike, that thing is a head turner no doubt
when is the photo shoot cousin
Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by K-A
As common as the E's are, my car gets complimented constantly.
You know, KA, you keep saying that the Es are "common"...like you see a lot of them everyday...? I must ask, where are you located because even in the nation's capital, where I'm located, I only see a smattering, @ best... There aren't a lot...oh, wait...I requalify my statement. W211s are very popular in my area, but I just don't see a lot of W212s, and this is breeding ground for "executive-ness" to say the least... When you refer to Es, you're speaking "as a whole", correct? Just trying to understand why you keep referring to the E as "common"...? The M-B brand, all MYs inclusive, should never be thought of as "common".
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
My wife drives a nice 2010 Escalade but it never gets noticed because it doesn't have any mods or accessories
Good point...

I once posted a pic of my E350 on this forum and someone made the comment, "I almost threw up in my mouth." when I saw it.
Now since you said that, I NEED TO SEE YOUR RIDE!!! POST PICS NOW!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
Originally Posted by hofb99
Now since you said that, I NEED TO SEE YOUR RIDE!!! POST PICS NOW!!!
just for you , here you go: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5084357
Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hofb99
You know, KA, you keep saying that the Es are "common"...like you see a lot of them everyday...? I must ask, where are you located because even in the nation's capital, where I'm located, I only see a smattering, @ best... There aren't a lot...oh, wait...I requalify my statement. W211s are very popular in my area, but I just don't see a lot of W212s, and this is breeding ground for "executive-ness" to say the least... When you refer to Es, you're speaking "as a whole", correct? Just trying to understand why you keep referring to the E as "common"...? The M-B brand, all MYs inclusive, should never be thought of as "common".
Oh I definitely don't mean "common" in a negative way. It's actually a positive when a car that costs more than the average American makes in a whole year, is "common". I also describe how the E-Class lineage design can always be as common as it wants to be, yet will always still stand out, from my experiences.

I mean E's in general. However, you're right, they're only "common" in upscale areas. I hang out in many different areas and when I'm somewhere that's even Middle Class, I rarely see E's. In Upper Class neighborhoods, they are quite common to see in my experiences.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So tonight, at a Police Checkpoint, an Officer gave some MAJOR compliments to my car. "What kind of Mercedes is this?.. Wow, beautiful.. How do you like it..". He was even taken aback by it and wanted to keep conversing. Was extra nice as I was upset about a few things during the night.

This is probably like the 10th time I've had an "official" compliment my car, i.e someone who sits at some sort of checkpoint and looks at and into cars for a living (I've driven cross State several times). Usually they're quite taken aback by the ride.

I've even gotten many at garage's, valet's (though I've rarely valet'd), and many other places where people's jobs are to see cars all day long.

Like I said, if you present it right, the E can be anything you want it to be.

Last edited by K-A; 05-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM

2011 E-350
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
Thanks BM2BZ for supplying the link. If I would have seen HOF's request, I would have posted another pic here, as I don't have the expertise to enclose a link in a post. I appreciate you accommodating his request.

In reference to KA's comment about seeing several W212s around. Well, I have to say, I live in Montgomery, Alabama, although it is the state capitol, it is not exactly a huge metropolitan area. After, I got my W212, I was surpirsed to see the huge number of 212s in the area. Most are white or black, with some silver ones here and there. It makes my Capri Blue kinda rare here in the local area. I have never seen one in my area with any noticeable mods or accessories, but there are a lot of them here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Nice Mercedes Benz car sir"