E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Is COMAND compatible with crappy HTC "Inspire" phone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Is COMAND compatible with crappy HTC "Inspire" phone?

Got a new phone and not happy with it. Don't like Android, don't like the service plan, just peeved all around.

However, what peeves me most is that it doesn't seem compatible with COMAND, whereas an LG non-Smart phone I used at one point even did.

Anyone know how I can find out this info? Is there a list online anywhere that says what's compatible with COMAND?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
Got a new phone and not happy with it. Don't like Android, don't like the service plan, just peeved all around.

However, what peeves me most is that it doesn't seem compatible with COMAND, whereas an LG non-Smart phone I used at one point even did.

Anyone know how I can find out this info? Is there a list online anywhere that says what's compatible with COMAND?
Look at the MBUSA website for a list of phones. Pairing info also. I have used a Samsung Android based phone with a 2010 E350 with no problems.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Cool. I ended up returning the phone anyway. Got a cheapo phone to last me until iPhone 5 comes out. Unfortunately this cheapo LG phone isn't pairing up either, though I've paired an LG to my car before. I'll check MBUSA. Is there a set code I have to enter when pairing? I thought it was all zero's, but it ain't working.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by K-A
Cool. I ended up returning the phone anyway. Got a cheapo phone to last me until iPhone 5 comes out. Unfortunately this cheapo LG phone isn't pairing up either, though I've paired an LG to my car before. I'll check MBUSA. Is there a set code I have to enter when pairing? I thought it was all zero's, but it ain't working.
It's not a set code. You just have to enter the same code on both. Are you having trouble finding the phone with MB? I have to use the phone to find MB. With a iPhone 4.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'm actually trying to find the phone with Comand. Actually, Comand DOES locate the phone, but it asks me to enter a code and I have no idea what it is. Should I try and locate the M-B from the phone? Not sure if I know how to even do that.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Not sure, but enter any code you want. 4 0's for instance. Then your phone should ask for a code. Enter the same code.

This is one time I have to say RTFM. It does a good job of explaining what you need to do. Trust me, if I can figure it out...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol. I'm gonna have to do that. Can't find the section on MBUSA where it talks about this stuff either. I hate tech stuff sometimes, when I don't understand it, it drives me absolutely nuts. Ease of use, ease of use, ease of use.... this is the most underrated aspect of life these days. It's one of the reasons I love M-B's really, mostly relatively simplified use. However, when you try and pair a phone up with it......
Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
K-A, Google MBUSA phone pairing. MBUSA has a video on how to do it. They used to list compatible phones on their website also and if any adjustments were necessary on the phone. I'm haven't researched that part of the process recently.

Good luck. You can also try the phone store that sold you the device.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
KA, I have the Inspire phone and it pairs with the MB puck just fine. Set the phone to discovery mode, and the Bluetooth and it picks up after you enter the code off the puck. I have paired my Inspire with three different models of pucks on MB's with no issue. Hope this helps...

The Inspire phone is pretty awesome by the way, it is a little dated now though. Not sure what you mean by "crappy"....
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

What is "code off the puck" mean? That's where I'm having trouble pairing right now, though I returned the HTC. It's a long story with how it worked between how they broke my "grandfathered in" contract, i.e it cost more than I wanted to pay for it, and me figuring if I'm gonna break that contract I want to wait for iPhone or if I change my mind, get one sooner. I just prefer the OS.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

So I finally paired this crappy now-LG phone! Lol. Thanks for the info's. What I forgot to do was to find my M-B system from my phone as well as find the phone from the M-B system. I did them both at the same time and they mated.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by K-A
So I finally paired this crappy now-LG phone! Lol. Thanks for the info's. What I forgot to do was to find my M-B system from my phone as well as find the phone from the M-B system. I did them both at the same time and they mated.
Good...that is what is called "discovery mode" and will the Bluetooth module and the phone to do the nasty. Most phones these days will give most if not all functionality.

So..you are stuck in the contract whirlpool huh? You can't move to an iPhone? Assuming you are with AT&T they usually will let you move to an iPhone before upgrade time but for $200...

My next upgrade cycle is in December, who knows what will be available by then.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol, yup, stuck in the contract pool. Though I bought from Best Buy, and they offer a "Buyback Plan" where if you spend $20 (that's what I got it for after discounts they gave me), you're guaranteed a certain amount they'll "buy it back" from you. On my phone, which is a basic LG whatever phone, I think within the first 6 months, I can get around $150 back for it. Basically, I figure since I'm not itching for a crazy phone right now, and don't need nor use pretty much anything a Smartphone specializes in, I can wait and see how iPhone 5 will be. If it's too awesome to resist, I can always cut my contract, which will probably cost around what BB will give me back for my phone, and switch carriers to a cheaper carrier anyway (Sprint is apparently cheaper than ATT), and pay the "Upgrade $200 discount".

It's funny, because phones are so unimportant to me, that all this stuff I'm talking about I just really learned about by dealing with it all day. The HTC was aright and cool and all, especially to me who came from a normal phone, but if I go with a Smartphone, I figure why not splurge out on one that I'm enthusiastic with. I was real close with going with the iPhone 4S in that case, but decided I'll take the 30 day "trial period" to decide that.

Also, IMO "4G" is a gimmick. It's rarely truly available for use, rarely anybody needs that kind of power, and all the people I know who have it, see the only true aspect of it working all the time for them: Rapid battery drainage.

Last edited by K-A; 05-08-2012 at 10:10 AM.