Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Dema
I agree, prestige is most important option you missed. MB never was safe, reliable, performance, or quality car, but it had prestige.
Man you're smokin' some goood ish tonight, I see.

Bath Salts?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by K-A
Man you're smokin' some goood ish tonight, I see.

Bath Salts?

Back on topic, how about tuning/mod options? Have you guys seen how many body kits/wheels/exhaust is out there for our W212s? I'm really digging Prior Design's body kit for our cars: Way clean!

http://www.priordesignnorthamerica.c...ne_pd500_w212/
Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It looks like MB owners respect smoking to much, so it is an idea of another poll what do you smoke and how frequently.
First I do not claim that people are stupid, but people simply do not have chance to check and should just trust others word. Can you afford Rolex watch? Maybe you can but most people can't. Is this watch is really good? Believe me not, from standing point of watch functionality any $5 watch made in China can be more accurate . So what is the reason to buy so expensive watch? Same as MB, just expensive car with expensive repair, good styling but nothing behind. Why oil change for Corolla costs me just $20 and why $200 for Mercedes? Why the car requires so pricey labour and expensive materials? Is it sign of good design? Fading wood trim on all W212 is sign of good quality materials? Vinyl as seat cover, even mainstreamer cars have leather now.
Most people can't just check that MB is crappy car and believe just others who pay high $$$ for Mercedes. But they pay high $$$ for what? Just for prestige, just show to neighbour, hey I can afford this thing, can you? Common people, stop smoking weed and get in real world, in real situation when you pay high $$$ just for small 3 spoke badge.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2004 911
I agree, prestige is most important option you missed. MB never was safe, reliable, performance, or quality car, but it had prestige.
Never safe: ~Really?
In 1981, Mercedes-Benz introduced the airbag in Germany as an option on its high-end S-Class (W126). In the Mercedes system, the sensors would automatically pre-tension the seat belts to reduce occupant's motion on impact (now a common feature), and then deploy the airbag on impact. This integrated the seat belts and airbag into a restraint system, rather than the airbag being considered an alternative to the seat belt.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
From July 27, 2009 RobbReport:
If you’ve ever walked away from a harrowing car wreck, chances are good that Mercedes-Benz had a hand in your survival — even if you weren’t driving a Mercedes at the time. The German automaker has been a safety innovator since the 1950s, developing features that have found their way into cars from every manufacturer on earth. Mercedes invented the “safety cage” passenger cell, for instance, and front- and rear-crumple zones, too. And during the 1970s, the company’s vigorous Experimental Safety Vehicle program (ESF in German) produced more than 30 concept cars designed to showcase its cutting-edge safety technology, including antilock brakes, traction control, stability control, and automotive air bags.

**Sounds pretty safe too me.**
Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
rjm

Multiple
But they pay high $$$ for what? Just for prestige, just show to neighbour, hey I can afford this thing, can you? Common people, stop smoking weed and get in real world, in real situation when you pay high $$$ just for small 3 spoke badge.
Hey, I'm proud of my 3 spoke badge. And my neighbors respect me highly when they see it!!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM

e350
It looks like MB owners respect smoking to much, so it is an idea of another poll what do you smoke and how frequently.
First I do not claim that people are stupid, but people simply do not have chance to check and should just trust others word. Can you afford Rolex watch? Maybe you can but most people can't. Is this watch is really good? Believe me not, from standing point of watch functionality any $5 watch made in China can be more accurate . So what is the reason to buy so expensive watch? Same as MB, just expensive car with expensive repair, good styling but nothing behind. Why oil change for Corolla costs me just $20 and why $200 for Mercedes? Why the car requires so pricey labour and expensive materials? Is it sign of good design? Fading wood trim on all W212 is sign of good quality materials? Vinyl as seat cover, even mainstreamer cars have leather now.
Most people can't just check that MB is crappy car and believe just others who pay high $$$ for Mercedes. But they pay high $$$ for what? Just for prestige, just show to neighbour, hey I can afford this thing, can you? Common people, stop smoking weed and get in real world, in real situation when you pay high $$$ just for small 3 spoke badge.
Having a bad day? Much too negative (although some points are good).
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM

e350
Prestige is fleeting...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

You've really thrown money away if that's YOUR reason for spending money on an M-B.

I don't know how good your senses are, but I drive (Rent) a lot of "normal" vehicles, like a Carrolla, and those who are much cheaper to run than an M-B, and even more reliable.... but my senses can always instantly feel, smell, touch, and visualize the lesser material, build, detail, and overall quality. Let's not even get into design, but I've always felt that the good M-B models hold their timeless value's in that regard far better than most others.

Safety? M-B literally invented vehicular safety, and the W212 is just another step in the model line that always comes out at the top of the charts in terms of lesser fatality rates than any other car on the road.

M-B's vinyl seats are the UTMOST example of M-B's top quality. While every manufacturer may provide leather (M-B included), they wear quickly, look old and dated quickly, in typical situations (at least when the owners don't continuously care for the leather). Some offer vinyls, but they always feel very "vinyl". M-B Tex is not only the most durable seat material in the business, but I've never had anyone get in my car who didn't think it was leather, initially. I just wish it had the leather smell....

Last edited by K-A; 06-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Regarding safety, it is matter of luck, after report as a passanger and driver of S class were killed in direct hit of Ford Focus. Ford driver had only minor injuries, I can say that actual safety of car isn't match matter. Major car safety factor is a driver, with exceptional cases when you get rear ended stopping at traffic light.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Major factor for many of us just convince ourselves that we drive the best cars. It is good attitude. I know my car is slowest in class after 535i and A6. I know that stoping distance is longest in class after 535i and A6. I know that my car consumes more fuel than other competitor, unless I drive diesel. I know A6 electronics is superior to my E. But so what? I still feel proud that I drive Mercedes. I never fast launch from stop, I know most every one car will beat me in performance, I especially do very slow launch just show others, hey I do not carry about performance, becasue I drive Mercedes. I am serious.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

What I like about M-B, at least let's say the E350, is that it gives me everything that I actually USE, this is why I use the term "holistic experience" when describing it.

I never race anyone, so 1/4 mile is meaningless, I never speed of full throttle from a stoplight, so 0-60 is unimportant, I never carve canyons, so stiff handling and ultimate road feel doesn't apply. I don't surf the internet while driving, or need my car to park itself.

I, however, do like a solid and comfortable ride, I do need ultimate safety at all times, I do like a hefty quality to the buttons and switches to feel "good", I do like a luxurious environment, I do like reliability, I do need the nicest sheetmetal/design that I can get for my price, I do need something that's built and designed to last the test of time, I do close my doors a lot so I like that refined/high quality sound that M-B produces that NOBODY else these days reproduces, I do need great brakes, etc. etc.

M-B delivers first rate in all my "needs", for me, the stuff that I feel the other guys do better, are somewhat and sometimes frivolous.

That's why I'm happy with it.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Okay, truth is Dema, IMO, you sounded really ridiculous saying the things you said about M-B safety, reliability, performance and quality being sub-par...especially when you own MULTIPLE Benzes (two generations from what I can see). How can you buy into prestige alone and think nothing of the other positive things that M-B brings to the table? Are you pretentious and/or vain? You own two Benzes, yet you don't think you bought a quality product? Who does that??? You're confusing! I don't get how you can just buy into prestige alone if you weren't convinced that you actually have a quality, well-engineered, well-designed car or you're just full of yourself or a snob??? That's like saying, I want to buy a mansion w/ 20 bedrooms and 10K sq ft, not because I need it, but only because I can! Really???

EDIT: After thinking about it a little, if that's how you roll ("because you can"), then that's certainly your prerogative. Just doesn't make sense that you spent significant $$$ on your M-Bs ONLY to impress others, and @ the same time think all those negative things about what you bought... [off my soapbox now]

Last edited by hofb99; 06-12-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Exactly, re: "prestige". M-B stll has it in spades and holds highest cachet I think, but these days there are so many variables in how to "impress others", with emerging segments, and M-B/BMW/etc. bringing in cheaper and cheaper little cars to increase volume. Some people will be ultimately impressed by a Prius!

Also, "prestige" indeed doesn't just drop from the clouds. M-B has earned that prestige, and the M-B brand is a POWERFUL force indeed, I experience it all the time when people comment on my car, the car I drive, or the car I tell them I drive (when asked), but it didn't and doesn't come from thin air.