E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Burning smell + fan running after engine off...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 • 2016 Tesla Model S 75D
Burning smell + fan running after engine off...

Something odd happened just now, I went for a quick drive to actually fuel up the car and when I got back home (8 miles round trip), I noticed this very strong almost like a burnt plastic smell coming from the car and a fan kept running even though I shut off the engine. I don't know if it was the radiator fan, I assume it was as I don't know of any other fans. The fan continued on for 3-4 minutes until I started the car again at which point it immediately stopped. Shut off the car again and everthing seemed fine, including the previous smell going away.

I don't know if it was related to fueling up. It is a Bluetec and I've never smelled diesel before so I don't know if it smells different than gasoline or what, but the fan thing is odd.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
My car had that burnt smell - like rubber burning at around 6 months. The dealer investigated and said that there is nothing wrong. Something about some "shipping wax" residue. At 12 months the smell is gone. I think the fan can continue to run as it is electric and is computer controlled to cool off the engine as required.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4matic Designo, 2014 ML350 4matic Sport, 2013 Cls550
Same thing here, I've had the burning plastic smell on and off for the entire time I've owned the car, just figured it was a quirk that I should get used to. Doesn't seem like its being caused by any major issues in my case. Let us know if you are able to come up with a cause.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Velar
Originally Posted by hx_guy
Something odd happened just now, I went for a quick drive to actually fuel up the car and when I got back home (8 miles round trip), I noticed this very strong almost like a burnt plastic smell coming from the car and a fan kept running even though I shut off the engine. I don't know if it was the radiator fan, I assume it was as I don't know of any other fans. The fan continued on for 3-4 minutes until I started the car again at which point it immediately stopped. Shut off the car again and everthing seemed fine, including the previous smell going away.

I don't know if it was related to fueling up. It is a Bluetec and I've never smelled diesel before so I don't know if it smells different than gasoline or what, but the fan thing is odd.

Did you find a resolution? Mine has done this twice.