E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Awesome Cruise control features, who knew!!???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
This is what they all-too-frequently get to see. I was told the texting pad was still in the driver's hand and his head was.........elsewhere.
Did that truck not have a Mansfield bar?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Live Oak
Did that truck not have a Mansfield bar?
Good question. Just looking at the photo, it's difficult to determine what the condition of the truck was prior to impact. I don't see anything resembling a bar mixed in with all that fiberglass. That proves nothing, though. It may well be there.

I am about as far removed from being an expert on this as it's possible for anyone to be, but accident reconstruction has always been a bit fascinating to me. So, I made a quick phone call and did a brief bit of "research."

I was told that underride bar failures are being observed. I was further told that the U.S. standard for truck underride bars is considered by at least one leading national insurance institute as inadequate. I then found this: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr030111.html

My buddy put it this way, "If you're going to be a dumb s!*t and text while doing high speed driving, do it in Canada. Their underride bar standards are closer to adequate. Ours ain't!"

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts
W212 FL
OMG, that Corvette is stuck in lol
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
if the vette driver was really texting, i feel sorry for the truck driver.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 4MATIC
CC is awesome. However, I disengage when it rains. I could be wrong (and I have no mechanical background) but I read somewhere that since rain can cause hydroplaning, when you engage your car in CC, and your car hydroplanes - I dont know. I dont even know what can happen. Better of disengaging it.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 E450 Coupe, 2022 Porsche Macan, 2001 Porsche 911
I really like the feature of the car really slowing down to reach the set speed on cruise control, especially if I'm passing someone and want to quickly return to the set speed in cruise control.

but I have a question about that: is the car using the brakes or is it downshifting? If its using the brakes, then the unfortunate part is that, to people behind me, it would seem like I'm hitting the brakes for no reason.

Does anyone know how the rapid speed reduction takes place?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 895 Likes on 644 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by mdreef
I really like the feature of the car really slowing down to reach the set speed on cruise control, especially if I'm passing someone and want to quickly return to the set speed in cruise control.

but I have a question about that: is the car using the brakes or is it downshifting? If its using the brakes, then the unfortunate part is that, to people behind me, it would seem like I'm hitting the brakes for no reason.

Does anyone know how the rapid speed reduction takes place?

I think it applies brakes if your speed is enough faster than your cruise set point is.

This same thing happens when you lower the speed set point with the cruise on. If you do it slowly just 5 mph at the time the car slows down without showing the brake lights. I guess it mimics the engine braking but I believe it still applies the brakes. Not sure though.

If you change the speed set point down quickly like three 15 mph (3 hits on the stalk) the car will slow down much faster and will also show the brake lights.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Using cruise always saves gas because computer can adjust to changes in need for fuel far, far quicker than the human mind and foot can. This is especially true on interstates and other roads with higher speeds.
Of course, cruise should not be used for stop and go, city, etc. type driving.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
I use mine so much the stalk is starting to 'click' a little bit
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Using cruise always saves gas because computer can adjust to changes in need for fuel far, far quicker than the human mind and foot can. This is especially true on interstates and other roads with higher speeds.
Of course, cruise should not be used for stop and go, city, etc. type driving.

Wrong.

If you want to save gas especially on a highway you will not want to use the cruise control, absolutely not.

Cruise control does not hurt if you drive down hill or on flat but if you really want to save gas you would run the car with constant throttle position going up hill. This, of course means that the car will slow down depending on how steep the climb is. Cruise controll will immediately open up the throttle for keeping the speed at the setpoint.

It would be a nice feature if someone would build a cruise control that would keep throttle opening as is before an up hill and allow the car to slow down. It would then keep the speed going down hill, i.e. close the throttle.

I have done this many times on my long highway trips and it makes a big improvement in fuel consumption if you let the car slow down going up hill but you don't want to do this in traffic. You don't want someone on your back bumper when the car slows down.

Would be a nice feature to have as an option operation mode with the cruise as on long trips there can be plenty of short hills, like over passes where it does not matter if the speed goes down for a few mph for a half minute or so. But as you watch that fuel economy meter it makes a big difference there.

Try and see it. Take cruise off and keep your gas pedal constant going over those over passes. Your mpg does not go down almost at all but you sacrifice small amount of speed. Then lift the foot on the other side so you don't go too fast and the mpg goes way up until you are on flat again and you need to press to keep the speed you was going.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
WRONG

Originally Posted by Arrie
Wrong.

If you want to save gas especially on a highway you will not want to use the cruise control, absolutely not.

Cruise control does not hurt if you drive down hill or on flat but if you really want to save gas you would run the car with constant throttle position going up hill. This, of course means that the car will slow down depending on how steep the climb is. Cruise controll will immediately open up the throttle for keeping the speed at the setpoint.

It would be a nice feature if someone would build a cruise control that would keep throttle opening as is before an up hill and allow the car to slow down. It would then keep the speed going down hill, i.e. close the throttle.

I have done this many times on my long highway trips and it makes a big improvement in fuel consumption if you let the car slow down going up hill but you don't want to do this in traffic. You don't want someone on your back bumper when the car slows down.

Would be a nice feature to have as an option operation mode with the cruise as on long trips there can be plenty of short hills, like over passes where it does not matter if the speed goes down for a few mph for a half minute or so. But as you watch that fuel economy meter it makes a big difference there.

Try and see it. Take cruise off and keep your gas pedal constant going over those over passes. Your mpg does not go down almost at all but you sacrifice small amount of speed. Then lift the foot on the other side so you don't go too fast and the mpg goes way up until you are on flat again and you need to press to keep the speed you was going.
Every organization (and person I know) that has tested cruise has reported increased fuel economy using cruise, especially going up and down hills. If you leave throttle where it is, you lose speed and therefore have to significantly increase throtle to gain the speed back when you crest the hill. You then have too much speed and have to lessen throtle. You are constantly adjusting the throtle up and down.
Not to mention, as you pointed out, that this causes your vehicle to speed up and slow down while other thraffic remains at a consistent, safe speed.
BTW, I drive in hilly areas and have proven for many, many years that cruise gets me better MPG.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Every organization (and person I know) that has tested cruise has reported increased fuel economy using cruise, especially going up and down hills. If you leave throttle where it is, you lose speed and therefore have to significantly increase throtle to gain the speed back when you crest the hill. You then have too much speed and have to lessen throtle. You are constantly adjusting the throtle up and down.
Not to mention, as you pointed out, that this causes your vehicle to speed up and slow down while other thraffic remains at a consistent, safe speed.
BTW, I drive in hilly areas and have proven for many, many years that cruise gets me better MPG.

Cruise control is what adjusts the throttle all the time. If you drive manually your foot keeps the throttle way more constant unless you are just playing all the time.

We all have our driving habits and perhaps for you cruise control works better MPG. For me it is opposite. But I use the cruise as I'm too lazy for manual mode and I really like the Distronic.