E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

HID H7 Kit Conversion Issue - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cab
HID H7 Kit Conversion Issue - PLEASE HELP!

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue.
I installed my H7 DDMtuning kit from my C300. It was all plug and play as usual and everything was working fine until last week.
Last week I noticed that my right side light was out. I also got an error on the dash.
I parked the car and restarted after about half hour. The light came on for a few seconds, and turned off again. Please note that this entire time, the driver side has been working flawlessly no issues.
I figured the ballast was either burning or burned out. I ordered a replacement and installed it. The light powered up right away. About 1 minute later, the light turned off again. I installed a new bulb thinking it may be the bulb, but still the same issue.
I turned off the car for about an hour, started it up again and turned the igh switch on. The right side went on for about 3 seconds before turning off. Again, this entire time, the drivers side is working fine.

To make sure nothing is wrong with the ballast, error canceller and bulb, I plugged it into the drivers side and it stayed lit for the entire 2 hours that I had it running.

Its obvious there is nothing wrong with the ballast, bulb or error canceller.
This is driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!

Could it be a fuse, and if yes, which one?

Please help!!!!!!

Best,
Alan
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i wish i could help but i ain't no expert like others. just a blind guess, have you checked all the wirings?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Seems odd. Btw, are you still getting an error code?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

09 C63, 12 E350 4M
I say 90% the canceller went bad.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I'm not an expert also, but I bought the same Kit from them. It took me couple trips to my local shop who did instalation to get rid of all issues.
First my right light was out with error message - I went to them and they installed, as they said, additional resistor. The same story was with left side. PM me if you need more details..i can talk to them what they installed. There is nothing wrong with your fuses.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by aeggroup
I'm not an expert also, but I bought the same Kit from them. It took me couple trips to my local shop who did instalation to get rid of all issues.
First my right light was out with error message - I went to them and they installed, as they said, additional resistor. The same story was with left side. PM me if you need more details..i can talk to them what they installed. There is nothing wrong with your fuses.
It is not the ballast.
It is not the bulb.
It is not the error canceller.
All of these were tested.

I'm going insane! Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
If the kit requires additional resistors...then the kit is not as advertised...return it (if possible)...and buy a different kit.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by PHML
If the kit requires additional resistors...then the kit is not as advertised...return it (if possible)...and buy a different kit.
Both ballasts work on the drivers side with no issues.....

Anyone else?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 PM

From the DDM Tuning site...

If your HID kit is not working properly, it could be due to one of several reasons:

Flickering: Flickering on both sides of the vehicle can be caused by insufficient available power or incompatibility with the vehicle's computer system.

Please determine if the flickering occurs with the engine running and with the engine off. If the problem occurs only with the engine running, it's likely that you need error code eliminators to make the HIDs acceptable to the vehicle's computer system (Dodge Rams and later model BMWs are exceptions as the Type 3 Error Code Eliminators will not correct the problem).

If the flickering occurs with the engine running and with the engine off, there may be a general powering issue, which may involve DRLs (see below) or be a general powering issue that may be resolved by installing an HID accessory harness so that the HIDs are powered from the battery rather than through the stock wiring.

If your car has Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), the reduced operating voltage of the DRLs is likely responsible for the flickering; the problem may be corrected by pulling the fuse for the DRLs or otherwise disabling the DRLs (this may not be legal in your jurisdiction so please check the local laws). An accessory HID harness may solve the flickering problem due to DRLs but this will convert your DRLs to "full on" status.

Neither light turns on: This is almost always due to reversed polarity. This can be corrected by reversing (flipping) the connector on the input side of the ballast. Another possible explanation is a blown fuse. Or, if a harness is being used, the relay or in-line fuse has likely failed.

One side doesn’t turn on reliably or at all: This is likely caused by a defective bulb, ballast or an issue with the stock wiring (available power). To identify the responsible component, please swap bulbs or ballasts from one side of the vehicle to the other; if the problem follows one component then that is the part responsible for the failure. If all of the components prove to be functional on one side of the vehicle then you likely have a powering problem on the side that is failing; this will likely be corrected by installing an accessory HID harness.

Intermittent firing for both sides: If it takes multiple on-off cycles to get the HIDs to turn on, you may have a powering issue, which is often resolved by the installation of an accessory HID harness. Also, sometimes increasing the headlight fuse by 5 amps solves the problem.

If you have an HID Harness (whether it's an accessory or H/L harness) installed and are still getting intermittent firing, double check your power and ground cable connections.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM

More for DDM Tuning site...

IF your car has flickering issues or a warning light in your dash, you may need to install Bulb Out Warning Cancelers (aka Error code eliminators). These units work on most vehicles. They work on 93% of cars with computer issues.

Certain cars are known to need these units such as: Newer Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's, Dodge's, Chrysler's, Jeeps, Mazda's as well as others.
Refer to: http://ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticl eid=20&nav=0,2

WARNING: BOW Cancelers can pop if installed on vehicles with reverse polarity. We recommend wearing safety glasses, standing back from the unit and closing the hood.

If you need a replacement BOW unit, send us pictures of the defective unit and include your order number. Submit a return ticket.

Below is a list of cars that have common problems when installing HID's. This list is NOT all cars that have problems. We are updating the list as we see patterns with certain makes and models.

***We can not guarantee these tips will work 100% but these fixes are what most customers have used and shared with us to solve some of these common problems when installing HID's on these vehicles.***

- Mercedes Benz (Most 2002+): Low beams – May need error code eliminators (BOW3) or ECU flashed to turn on the Xenon shutter
- Mercedes Benz (Most 2002+): Fog lights - May need error code eliminators (BOW3)
- Mercedes Benz: Low beams - H7 bulbs may need an additional adapter we do not sell. Search "H7 adapter Mercedes" on Google for find a vendor, we do not sell the piece.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by alan111
Both ballasts work on the drivers side with no issues.....

Anyone else?
If I remember correctly you live in my area in Brooklyn.
Go to this place http://www.guaranteedalarm.com/ and they will fix it. They did it for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by aeggroup
If I remember correctly you live in my area in Brooklyn.
Go to this place http://www.guaranteedalarm.com/ and they will fix it. They did it for me.
Correct - I do live in brooklyn.

Thanks for sending that! You're not going to believe - these guys installed an alarm on my mom's Taurus in 1992. I remember that sticker on the back window when I was a kid!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Anyways, I just wanted to say...that I'm pretty sure its the kit.

A good kit will avoid these problems. I installed an H7 HID kit for another w212 member here...no extra bulb out warning accessories needed...no problems out of the box.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 PM

09 C63, 12 E350 4M
Originally Posted by PHML
Anyways, I just wanted to say...that I'm pretty sure its the kit.

A good kit will avoid these problems. I installed an H7 HID kit for another w212 member here...no extra bulb out warning accessories needed...no problems out of the box.
thats why I love my Mtec.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by aqsc815616
thats why I love my Mtec.
I don't have Mtec.

I have a kit that costed me only $62 shipped to Hawaii...this H7 HID kit was installed in my buddy's w212 (e550), and on my GLK350...no added resistor required...installed straight out of the box...slim ballasts...everything lighted up without any problems....and best of all, no error codes.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i wonder how many people can actually tell the different between the "premium" kit and "regular" kit on the same car .