More questions on Pre-paid Maint, Tire & Wheel Insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
ddeliber: "I am regretting this purchase."
Assume you are talking about the car itself.
Sorry to hear it. While I do have some concerns about MB/DAG in general, I still like my 2010 E350 sedan. However, when I was commuting 50 miles per day and taking long trips every two months, I would not have considerd an MB because of the maintenance costs. This has long been one of the issues with MB and most other European cars as well.
From what I have read, all the luxury/prestige makes charge dearly for maintenance.
Often had buyers remorse for a few weeks after getting a new car (this one included), but eventually got over it.
Look on positive side and put a little away each month toward the maintenance cost.
BTW, I don't disagree that the maintenance costs ARE way over priced, but they are what they are. Part of this is because of what MB/DAG requires be done to the vehicles every year or three years.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Angry

Originally Posted by El Cid
ddeliber: "I am regretting this purchase."
Assume you are talking about the car itself.
Sorry to hear it. While I do have some concerns about MB/DAG in general, I still like my 2010 E350 sedan. However, when I was commuting 50 miles per day and taking long trips every two months, I would not have considerd an MB because of the maintenance costs. This has long been one of the issues with MB and most other European cars as well.
From what I have read, all the luxury/prestige makes charge dearly for maintenance.

BTW, I don't disagree that the maintenance costs ARE way over priced, but they are what they are. Part of this is because of what MB/DAG requires be done to the vehicles every year or three years.
My regret is the purchase of maintenance, not the car. I absolutely love the car. I should have simply kept my money and went to a recommended Indy Down the street for maintenance work. My point on tranny fluid is what I am talking about. Dealers mark up stuff, that part I can accept; but 400% is gouging and now I am stuck with it. We are not talking about imported super high qual parts or hard to find expertise, MB's own documents describe how easy this stuff is. Heck they want what $150 for an air filter (I may be wrong on that one tho). Unacceptable.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:13 PM

I should have said "pre-paid maintenance". I got a good discount but now feel violated!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c300
the rim and tire package comes in handy if you have pot holes where you drive on a reg basis. Ive seen many cars come in and out with tire and rim problems that it helped having the insurance. the tires on that car are mostly likely near 300 a piece and rims are somewhere around 4-600 since you have the 17". Add labor and your close to what you put down already on the insurance. If you had the AMG rims that i would have suggested this even more so since well.. 1 rim goes for around 1100... Pre paid maintance pays off more the longer you have it because there are many services as the car gets older that costs more then just the oil change such as the trans service. also the air filter set for most engines are around 60-70 for the set of 2 not 150.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM

I hear you, I bought them both (I just shouldn't have bought the maintenance). My issue is what the dealers are asking for routine maint - which is where the price for the pre-paid contract comes from. I only heard the $150 for the air filters from another post. I don't know, I haven't needed them yet :-)

The list for the 40k mile service consists of: oil change, brake fluid change, tranny fluid change, fuel filter, air filters, and a bunch of checks. I think they are getting around $900 for it (at least that is what they base the pre-paid prices on - see you saved 30%). This work is straight forward (read - no technical wizardry required) and should cost about $300. I think someone said that the dealers charge $150 or something to reset the maintenance light! Someone posted the procedures here, should take you or I 5 min to do (no special tools required).

I agree that maintenance at the dealership has its benefits and I expect and am willing to pay a markup. But that is not a markup it is gouging.