E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Very faint, dull popping noises from front end when braking at very low speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Sport, P2, Pano, AMG wheel package, dynamic/multicontour seat, black/beige
Very faint, dull popping noises from front end when braking at very low speeds

I have begun to hear a series of dull popping noises from the front of my 2010 E350 with 60k miles when I am braking and almost to a stop at very low speeds. You can hear it better from the inside with the windows up and a/c and radio off. It's not a single pop either, but rather a series of inconsistent pops/thumps that will occur as long as the brake is pressed slightly allowing the car to still roll along. If I simply idle along without pressing the brake, I don't hear the noises. Also, I don't hear them in reverse under any condition. I've also tested this on a flat, newly paved parking lot so I don't think it's necessarily suspension related.

I also get a loud single pop/click from the rear after I press the brake pedal past a certain point when stopping around 5 mph....then, once I am stopped and press the brake fully to put the car in park, I hear more clicks/movement from the same area in the rear that coincide with my pressing the brake pedal.

I am thinking of getting the entire braking system checked out just as a precaution but I wanted to see what you all thought first.

On a side note, braking performance is perfect and I don't hear any of the noises until I am almost stopped, therefore only at very very low speeds.