E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bluetooth Phonebook not loading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Bluetooth Phonebook not loading

Problem that I see: when I start my car, my samsung galaxy nexus phone links with comand 4.5 (late 2011/2012) system....but the phonebook is not loaded. This happens most of the time.

Discussion: Every time the comand system senses a bluetooth phone, it erases the phonebook and requests reloading the phonebook from the phone. The latest versions of Android (and some earlier ones) require that if a remote device requests the phonebook, you must physically give it permission on the phone...and if you don't, it times out and the phonebook is not sent, leaving comand with no phonebook....and not allowing "dial by name" to work.

This is compounded by the phone not waking up with a screen asking for permission...it just asks quietly (not even a beep) and if your phone is off, in your pocket or pocketbook, you never see the request for permission. Even if your phone is on, the request for permission is only a very small thin line of text on the top of the screen (no beep) and if you don't hit that small line of text to bring up the request screen, you will timeout and nothing is transfered.

Now that I have isolated this annoying "bug" (or what mercedes would probably claim is a standards incompatibility)...and without getting into whose fault it is, android or mercedes.....is there some way to stop comand from attempting to reload the phonebook every time it sees the phone (perhaps in the engineering pages) or has someone found an android app/hack that will automatically give permission approval on the phone?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
bumped to top because I'd like to know if I am the only one who has this problem which might be limited to Mercedes.

Originally Posted by ghstudio
Problem that I see: when I start my car, my samsung galaxy nexus phone links with comand 4.5 (late 2011/2012) system....but the phonebook is not loaded. This happens most of the time.

Discussion: Every time the comand system senses a bluetooth phone, it erases the phonebook and requests reloading the phonebook from the phone. The latest versions of Android (and some earlier ones) require that if a remote device requests the phonebook, you must physically give it permission on the phone...and if you don't, it times out and the phonebook is not sent, leaving comand with no phonebook....and not allowing "dial by name" to work.

This is compounded by the phone not waking up with a screen asking for permission...it just asks quietly (not even a beep) and if your phone is off, in your pocket or pocketbook, you never see the request for permission. Even if your phone is on, the request for permission is only a very small thin line of text on the top of the screen (no beep) and if you don't hit that small line of text to bring up the request screen, you will timeout and nothing is transfered.

Now that I have isolated this annoying "bug" (or what mercedes would probably claim is a standards incompatibility)...and without getting into whose fault it is, android or mercedes.....is there some way to stop comand from attempting to reload the phonebook every time it sees the phone (perhaps in the engineering pages) or has someone found an android app/hack that will automatically give permission approval on the phone?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I couldn't figure out how to download the phonebook from my Samsung Droid Charge.I wound up entering the info by hand into the nav thingy so I have the function.Pain in the neck!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by listerone
I couldn't figure out how to download the phonebook from my Samsung Droid Charge.I wound up entering the info by hand into the nav thingy so I have the function.Pain in the neck!
I think I've just given you the way to download the phonebook, at least once. Just make sure your phone is on in your hand when you start the car....when the connection is made, you will see a popup on your phone asking for permission to load the phonebook. Say YES. Of course as soon as you turn off the car, the phonebook will be cleared in the Mercedes....but you'll see why it doesn't work for you for what it's worth.