2013 Interior Changes Spotted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by pwidjaja
It's not true, Apple screwed up many made for ipod manufacturer due to their hardware changes. Namely firewire port as a mean to charge their ipod since its birth, then switch to usb charging WITHOUT prior notice. Right about first iphone being release if I can recall. It also effected mb cars at that time.

Then, apple did screw up again WITHOUTH prior notice (again) by releasing work with iphone which requires a propietory chip must be installed in any work with iphone device. This chip just meant to remove that dreaded message "your hardware/device is not compatible with this phone thingy".

Apple is not flawless, neither is all other manufacturer.

Agreed with WEBSRFR, sounds more logical to me.
What model of Apple iPod/phone/pad had firwire charging? I am not aware of any. These must be really old ones. Ones that are no longer with us.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Originally Posted by ImInPA
What model of Apple iPod/phone/pad had firwire charging? I am not aware of any. These must be really old ones. Ones that are no longer with us.
I may not describe clearly. It is not the actual firewire port u might see on an old mac, it is the fire wire port assigned pin on the 30pins dock connector (connector where u plug your ipod/iphone). Among those pins, there are also pins for usb port which is now being used to charge the device.

Non geeks/enthusiasts will not be able to spot this changes. Back then, they just confuse why their docking station could not charge the newer released ipod/iphone and why someone trying to sell plugin converters
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 P1, Sport, Rear Spoiler
It's not true, Apple screwed up many made for ipod manufacturer due to their hardware changes. Namely firewire port as a mean to charge their ipod since its birth, then switch to usb charging WITHOUT prior notice. Right about first iphone being release if I can recall. It also effected mb cars at that time.

Then, apple did screw up again WITHOUTH prior notice (again) by releasing work with iphone which requires a propietory chip must be installed in any work with iphone device. This chip just meant to remove that dreaded message "your hardware/device is not compatible with this phone thingy".

When a company improves their product, or adds features, it's not a screw up.

No offense, but that "entitlement" mentality does not apply.

MB has a new command system for 2013 with additional features they feel improves the product. As a 2012 owner, you are not entitled to those features.

Switching from FW to USB charging/syncing is not a screw-up. It's a company looking into the future and realizing USB would become the standard. It's a company realizing the majority of computer users (windows) don't have FireWire.

IPod out is an added feature. Not a screw up. You're not "entitled" to it.

This isn't an thread about Apple or Android bashing. It's a thread about the changes to 2013 models.

Last edited by jmatero; 08-03-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM

He's just Apple-bashing. He's referring to the original iPod (over 10 years ago) which was apple-only and charged/synced via FW... Because most Apple products used FW, not USB at the time. They switched to USB when iTunes came out for Windows as most PCs had USB and it appeared that would become the standard in the industry.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Serpent S966
Originally Posted by jmatero
When a company improves their product, or adds features, it's not a screw up.

No offense, but that "entitlement" mentality does not apply.

MB has a new command syswith for 2013 with additional features they feel improves the product. As a 2012 owner, you are not entitled to those features.

Switching from FW to USB charging/syncing is not a screw-up. It's a company looking into the future and realizing USB would become the standard. It's a company realizing the majority of computer users (windows) don't have FireWire.

IPod out is an added feature. Not a screw up. You're not "entitled" to it.

This isn't an thread about Apple or Android bashing. It's a thread about the changes to 2013 models.
I didn't recall starting/bringing apple or android bashing subject on the first place, nor bashing one over the other. Really do not want to go further over this, but clearly need to point out different views for you.

A manufacturer needs to have a license from apple to make any compatible devices. Not only there is royalty fees involved for every unit sold, but also propietory components need to be purchased from them. Every step of the development must be monitored and approved by them before being released for sale. With these being the case, you still think the licensee not "entitled" for first hand information? Licensees are helping apple to generate income as well.

PS: The switch to usb meant to lower its charging current, NOT for windows user.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Serpent S966
He's just Apple-bashing. He's referring to the original iPod (over 10 years ago) which was apple-only and charged/synced via FW... Because most Apple products used FW, not USB at the time. They switched to USB when iTunes came out for Windows as most PCs had USB and it appeared that would become the standard in the industry.
Totally wrong

http://www.oakinnovations.co.uk/blog...d-to-firewire/

http://www.macworld.com/article/1156...ad_iphone.html

Last edited by pwidjaja; 08-03-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: link provided
Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts
...24 GLE53
My wife picked up her 2013 E350 Coupe 4M last night. I must admit that the new engine is a great improvement in power. Now with electric power steering plus 34hp more and she shed 200lbs from her W212 makes this little sucker perform.
I was surprised the car did not have the stop and go feature. Maybe it does and I did not notice. I drove the car less than 10 min. I love the multicontour seats. They are two tone nappa/nubuk leather in merlot red and black. The exterior is a boring iridium silver but with that interior it is quite striking.
It certainly is smaller than the W212 but Old What's Her Name thought the size was better for her. Her only complaint was that the car did not have the electric trunk closer. Surprising this option is not available. I have not used the comand center and cannot comment on any improvements if any.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by petee1997
I love the multicontour seats. They are two tone nappa/nubuk leather in merlot red and black.
The seats in the 350 coupe are not nappa, nor are they two-tone - unless you got designo!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
The seats in the 350 coupe are not nappa, nor are they two-tone - unless you got designo!
I don't know one leather from another but that is what the build sheet says "nappa" and the interior is two colours. The car is in my garage, and the description is what I see.

Last edited by petee1997; 08-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
....but Old What's Her Name thought the size was better for her.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM

I hate to dwell on this after saying we should all stay on topic, but honestly, blaming a company for constantly improving their products (even if those improvements render old accessories obsolete) is laughable.

It's like buying a new 2012 Mercedes E-class and suggesting they "screwed up" because the floor mats from your 2001 E-class don't fit. How DARE they change the shape of the floor to provide more legroom forcing me to buy new mats!

Technology changes. Battery technology changes. Chip technology changes. That all requires everything move along with it and some things get left behind.

In your world, cars should all have one of these in the dash:
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM

My wife picked up her 2013 E350 Coupe 4M last night. I must admit that the new engine is a great improvement in power. Now with electric power steering plus 34hp more and she shed 200lbs from her W212 makes this little sucker perform.
I was surprised the car did not have the stop and go feature. Maybe it does and I did not notice. I drove the car less than 10 min. I love the multicontour seats. They are two tone nappa/nubuk leather in merlot red and black. The exterior is a boring iridium silver but with that interior it is quite striking.
It certainly is smaller than the W212 but Old What's Her Name thought the size was better for her. Her only complaint was that the car did not have the electric trunk closer. Surprising this option is not available. I have not used the comand center and cannot comment on any improvements if any.
Congrats!

Does the coupe have different steering/suspension calibrations than the sedan? I read a report from an owner somewhere on here that the coupe seemed "tighter" or "sportier" vs the sport sedan.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM

2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Congrats!

Does the coupe have different steering/suspension calibrations than the sedan? I read a report from an owner somewhere on here that the coupe seemed "tighter" or "sportier" vs the sport sedan.
It's more than steering/suspension calibrations, the coupe is based on the W204 platform which is definitely a sportier drive.

Regards,
Don
Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Congrats!

It feels like a stiffer ride but that may be the tire inflation. I don't know if the AMG package contributes to sportier handling or not. I love the sport steering wheel and the aluminum pedals and best of all is the DFI engine with electric power steering.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

It's like buying a new 2012 Mercedes E-class and suggesting they "screwed up" because the floor mats from your 2001 E-class don't fit. How DARE they change the shape of the floor to provide more legroom forcing me to buy new mats!
Good point. I feel like people expect so much from Apple, they criticize them for doing things that any other manufacturer does (as simple as change/update/upgrade parts, etc.), while others will be let to slide under the radar.

Apple's motto is to cannibalize their own products before anybody else does. If it weren't for their ability to not cling to the status quo, we wouldn't have iPod's, iPad's, iPhone's, etc. These are all marketplaces that Apple invented, products that Apple showed the world how "it's supposed to be done" and are copied/cloned bit by bit to this day.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Serpent S966
I hate to dwell on this after saying we should all stay on topic, but honestly, blaming a company for constantly improving their products (even if those improvements render old accessories obsolete) is laughable.

Technology changes. Battery technology changes. Chip technology changes. That all requires everything move along with it and some things get left behind.

In your world, cars should all have one of these in the dash:
You should know better, that's not the point I originally claimed. I said apple or all others are not flawless. Clearly I'm not the fanboys here.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Yikes this discussion has touched some nerves. Fanboys can continue to like what they are famboys of and there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing I find wrong is the belief that what they are fanboys of is somehow some piece of magical and mythical technology and the whole world should be designed around it. It is just a phone.

Virtually all the interfacing technology on a phone is based on WIFI, Bluetooth and recently NFC. This is all you need to share Internet access with your car, stream music, transfer address book data, make calls... Everything needed to interface is there and it is standard-based so it will work with the phone you buy today and the phone you buy 4 years from now. Not some stupid slot to fit some specific model device leaving everyone else SOL.

Remember the days when you had to buy a specific model Motorola phone if you wanted it to work with the Mercedes phone system? Thank god those days are gone. iPhones might work well for some but the landscape might be very different 5 years from now, as who knows what will come in the future.

Let's hope we can continue to use our modern phones in our cars without having the interface tied to a fraction of the installed phone base. Android, iPhone, Windows Phone any one of the modern versions of these phones offer the exact same communication interfaces and that is a good thing. Hopefully we can all agree that it is a good thing that we can have the freedom to buy whatever phone we want with the knowledge that any modern phone will work and interface seamlessly in our modern cars.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

It's a business, though. Taking out of account which ones we like or use, these guys need to do what they need to do to stay viable.

Android's won't be any less user-friendly than they are now. Obviously, Apple and iPhone's are an incredible marketing tool for M-B and other car manufacturers to align with. It's the worlds most valuable company, the most valuable brand in the world (moved to the top spot this year I believe), and has the highest rated consumer-report-statistical products in history (based on data).

This isn't about fanboy this or that. Yes, I personally love Apple and couldn't get to wherever it is that I'm at without Apple.... But M-B sure loves Apple as well, as Apple can help M-B.

That brings us to Apple: They as well need to be tactful and do what they can to stay viable and consistent. What better way than to integrate SIRI and Apple into all our cars? This is brilliant, and does exactly what it's supposed to do: Gets more people to want Apple products. That's what business is all about. As an Apple shareholder, I can speak for us all and say it makes us happy as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Jaguar XF
Well, spent some quality time in a 2013 E350 Sedan yesterday. Unlike the 2013 GLK and C-Class, the E maintains the 2012 cruise and turn signal stalks. Which is fine by me as the new ones in the GLK and C look really cheap (though, the positioning is better).

Also, REALLY happy to see the KeylessGo a stand-alone option vs having to get the P2.

The real cool updates are the Command System and Speedo LCD. They already improved the speedo LCD screen for 2012 (Hi-res) but for 2013, the "gold and brown" motive is gone in place of a pure black background with clearer contrasting text and better use of color for dividing lines, warnings, etc. It also appears to be even sharper than the 2012. REALLY nice display.

Even better is the 2013 Command system.
First, the color scheme is improved. The "yellow and cream" daytime motive is gone. Much clearer, MUCH classier. Black backgrounds for most menus with very clear, crisp text. The BIG change though is in speed. There is clearly a change to the processor and graphics abilities as the navigation movement and screen transitions are very smooth. And the apps are a real nice touch as well.

Also, THRILLED the auto start-stop feature has NOT been added to the E350. The C and GLK have it for 2013, but not the E. For those of you who may not know, auto start-stop in non-hybrids is terrible as it literally uses the conventional starter to re-start the motor and the battery can't handle running accessories for more than 10-20 seconds before the motor starts back up.

The rest of the 2013 E appears to be the same, at least from what I could see.
According to my information, Eco-Start is standard on the 2013 E-class.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM

None of the E350's on the lot here in Northern California have the ECO button on the dash. Maybe this is a "late availability" option? The C350's all have the button however, as do the GLK350's and SLK350's. (which all seem to have the updated stalks as well)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
It feels like a stiffer ride but that may be the tire inflation. I don't know if the AMG package contributes to sportier handling or not. I love the sport steering wheel and the aluminum pedals and best of all is the DFI engine with electric power steering.
Originally Posted by dfordham
It's more than steering/suspension calibrations, the coupe is based on the W204 platform which is definitely a sportier drive.

Regards,
Don
The Coupe and Cab are built upon a somewhat modified C207 chassis. Hence, it's smaller and a bit lighter than the full size E sedans.

In the 2010-12 models, if you equip it with the Appearance Package, which includes 18" UHP tires, AMG wheels, and a stiffer so-called "Sport-tuned" suspension (which varies in functionality between the 350 and 550 versions), the car has a very solid, tight, very quick feeling to handling. Inspires great driver confidence.

Thus equipped, IMO, the ride does suffer on poorly paved roads, although I've heard this complaint even with the sedans when equipped with the Sport package instead of the Luxury package. (No experience here with the sedans - yet.) On good roads, the ride is solid, steady and serene.

Haven't had a chance to examine mbusa in detail yet to study the 2013's,
so I don't know if the 2013's have the same option possibilities, or if they're all now shipping with the 18" tires/wheels package.

I would think having the same engines as the full size sedans in the smaller, lighter coupes/cabs gives them a bit of an edge performance-wise. Again, no personal experience.

IMO, the sedans are magnificent. The coupes/cabs fill an interesting and somewhat unique niche; they are just what some drivers want - like me, for now. The most "fun" car to drive that I've owned, to date, that can carry four people in comfort, with E Class fitments and a surprisingly decent amount of cargo when necessary.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Jaguar XF
None of the E350's on the lot here in Northern California have the ECO button on the dash. Maybe this is a "late availability" option? The C350's all have the button however, as do the GLK350's and SLK350's. (which all seem to have the updated stalks as well)
Your information certainly sounds more current than statements from dealers or the 2013 Dealer Ordering Guide for the E350 coupe. In any case, I'll be happy with the car either way. I'm just curious.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM

2013 E350 4M Wagon & 2013 C350 4M Sedan

Still, compared to Android..that's a joke
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
While not E class related, I noticed on the MB site that the C300 now comes with the old 3.5L, 268 hp motor, as opposed to the 3.0L engine. That motor used to only be in the C350, and, without 4matic. You can now get a C300 4Matic with the 3.5 engine. I wish they would clean up their numeric name designations. It is really getting confusing when a 250 is really 1.8 and a 300 is 3.5, etc.
This isn't correct. According to the MBUSA site, the new C300 has a new 248HP direct injection engine, not the previous M272 V6. They screwed up by putting this Info under a C250 heading.

New-generation 3.5L Direct Injection V-6 engine

A new 248-hp 3.5-liter V-6 combines numerous advances to deliver more torque over a wider range of rpm. Its rapid-multispark ignition fires up to four times per millisecond, while new high-pressure Direct Injection microscopically tunes the fuel spray, reducing emissions, fuel consumption and noise. A lightweight diecast-alloy block, quicker and more widely variable valve timing, reduced friction, and clever "on-demand" ancillary components like the alternator further boost efficiency.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by BudC
This isn't correct. According to the MBUSA site, the new C300 has a new 248HP direct injection engine, not the previous M272 V6. They screwed up by putting this Info under a C250 heading.

New-generation 3.5L Direct Injection V-6 engine

A new 248-hp 3.5-liter V-6 combines numerous advances to deliver more torque over a wider range of rpm. Its rapid-multispark ignition fires up to four times per millisecond, while new high-pressure Direct Injection microscopically tunes the fuel spray, reducing emissions, fuel consumption and noise. A lightweight diecast-alloy block, quicker and more widely variable valve timing, reduced friction, and clever "on-demand" ancillary components like the alternator further boost efficiency.
I stand corrected on the engine model, but, not on the displacement. The C300 4Matic used to have a 3.0L V6. The 2013 C300 4Matic has a 3.5 liter according to the mbusa site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 Interior Changes Spotted