E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

AMG Door Pin Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
I just can't get worked up over the look of the stock door pins. If you want to dress 'em up that's fine too. I just don't like the fact that the don't go down all of the way when the doors are locked.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by tjkaz
Slightly off topic but I have to say that the door pins on the E (non-AMG) are an embarrasement in design, and are probably the most useless feature on the car. They look like the design wasn't completed - un-finished. And, does anyone actually use them? Many new cars have dropped this ancient feature - including my wife's 2008 Q7.
If they are going to keep this feature, then they should look like the AMG pins that the OP referenced. Much cleaner and finished without being too overstated like some of the chrome aftermarket ones being sold on ebay.
M-B has them like that because of their safety-first mentality. In case everything in the car craps out, you can pull the locks up and they will mechanically open the doors. IMO, we need as many things to stay mechanical in cars as possible (that don't sacrifice the overall experience of the car) as the all-out approach on electronics can leave many loose ends if and/or when the electronics hiccup or fail.

The pins are indeed crude though. I don't know why they didn't stay with the classy and classic M-B pins of yore. The ones my W211 had were just that: That sprouting "golf pin" design with the nice chrome indent at the top. Simple, classy, understated. Not the gaudy/flashy aftermarket stuff or the crude-unfinished pieces we're stuck with as stock.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I don't ever notice the things! lol.....
but now that I'm thinking about it
some CF pins would be nice for my cls.....since they protrude and all....
would be a nice look.....that or diamond encrusted
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
M-B has them like that because of their safety-first mentality. In case everything in the car craps out, you can pull the locks up and they will mechanically open the doors. IMO, we need as many things to stay mechanical in cars as possible (that don't sacrifice the overall experience of the car) as the all-out approach on electronics can leave many loose ends if and/or when the electronics hiccup or fail.

The pins are indeed crude though. I don't know why they didn't stay with the classy and classic M-B pins of yore. The ones my W211 had were just that: That sprouting "golf pin" design with the nice chrome indent at the top. Simple, classy, understated. Not the gaudy/flashy aftermarket stuff or the crude-unfinished pieces we're stuck with as stock.
Then why do the same cheap plastic pins in my wife's CLK go all the way down? Noticed the same thing in an SLK I was parked next to as well. I am not sure of the safety value of them sticking up. If that were the design reason they would stick up in all models, no?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
They could have remade them to stick up on the newer models again, 'cause they factored the safety effect back in. I don't see why else they'd let them stick up. If you think about it, in the very unfortunate case the car would get bashed in, and the electronics wouldn't work, etc., you'd be able the most "foolproof" way possible to unlock the door: Pull the pin up.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
I guess that could be the reason. I'd have a hard time pulling them up. They don't stick up very far. Just enough to poke me in the arm.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
I just had the Brabus door pins installed and it was basically the same issue. The fronts are way easy to install, but the rears involved removing the door.

I agree with the OP, leave it to the German engineers to make a door pin hard to install/change, LOL. It would have been nice if they were all screw-on.

Congrats on the door pins, BTW. Makes for a cleaner look when the doors are locked and it doesn't get in the way of my elbow when driving.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 and ML550
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos
I installed my door pins myself in 10min...the front doors I just scrfewed them in, the rears I glued them on cuz they don't go down all the way no matter how hard you try, the inside of the pin does not correctly match the door lock upright, so I just glue them in place and it was an easier alternative to tearing the whole door apart. So far so good, no issues at all and I don't have to see those ugly plastic door pins any more. A word of caution, when the doors lock, the pins are flush with the door panel, cuz these door pins are shorter than the plastic ones, so in case of an emergency you wont be able to just pull the door pins up to unlock the door, they won't be accessible at all...
You mean when the car is locked all pins are flud or just the back doors? If flush that's a bummer as in an emergency it's critical to be able to open! If info the fronts only will
It be ok?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM
D&G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E550
Just bought 4 pins and getting ready to install them. Can't stand the look of the plastic look.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
where did you buy them and how much ?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 AM
D&G

W212 E550
Originally Posted by T.H.Carrera
where did you buy them and how much ?
Bought from Mercedes for $75 each. Install was easy.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
$75/ea? They're $40/ea MSRP.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM

2014 E350W
I bought mine from the dealer for $40 each and they installed them free of charge.
It only took them less than 15 minutes and I really doubt they had to remove the rear door panel to install the back pins.
All the pins are flush with the doors when they are in the lock position.
They are expensive but at the end the result is pretty good.
BTW, they even gave me back the original plastic pins.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by PGT
$75/ea? They're $40/ea MSRP.
That's a good price from what I've read. I may try to upgrade at that cost.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 PM
D&G

W212 E550
No need to take the door panels out. Front ones just unscrew and the rears just pull them out.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
can anybody confirm that you cannot pull the pins up when it is locked at the back doors? Thus making it a hazard?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
D&G

W212 E550
All 4 pins sits flush when locked.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 AM

2014 E350W
Originally Posted by alanme123
can anybody confirm that you cannot pull the pins up when it is locked at the back doors? Thus making it a hazard?
The pins sit flush with the door in the locked position so you will not be able to grab them to unlock the doors. Is it a hazard? I guess you can view it that way.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM

'14 ML63 AMG / '11 E550W4 (previously)
Originally Posted by D&G
All 4 pins sits flush when locked.
Anyone else experience on the OEM AMG front pins that you could thread them down so far that they would sit inside the door panel? And if you only threaded far enough to the point that they we're flush when locked that they seemed loose?

Fixed that issue with a little blue thread locker and positioned so the amg logo was correctly orientated and level on all. Just seemed a bit strange. Mine would either thread and stop then stick out 3/4 inch when locked or after multiple attempts you could get the threads to catch right and then allow to thread down. I was only using my fingers so I wasn't applying that much force.

Rears popped on to the ball joint and I out a little thread locker in there so they should hold.

Either way I'm happy and they look a hell of a lot better
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Just installed Front AMG door pins

and yes, when threaded on til tight they drop down into the door ( not flush). when unlocked they are about 3/8 inch above the panel. I have the correct part number and all. Anyone else with this issue. Car is C63 2014
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon
Ok, it's time to put this whole issue to rest about whether the door panel needs to be removed or not and how the button is mounted. The front threads onto the linkage and is mounted with Loctite. The rear one is pushed on and held on by supergule. Nothing is taken apart during the install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Retrofit AMG retainer button.pdf (356.5 KB, 605 views)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM

E350
Originally Posted by GregTR
Ok, it's time to put this whole issue to rest about whether the door panel needs to be removed or not and how the button is mounted. The front threads onto the linkage and is mounted with Loctite. The rear one is pushed on and held on by supergule. Nothing is taken apart during the install.

First time poster here, so bear with me. I am picking up my new 2014 E 350 that I ordered in November this Saturday. I asked the dealer to add the AMG door pins because, like many of you, I don't like the stock look at all.

And here is my issue: My dealer agrees that the front door pins are a simple install, but even after sharing this forum information and the earlier poster's attached MB instructions, they continue to insist that the rear door panels have to be removed. They tell me to expect 3-4 hours of labor on those 2 door pins at $136/hour!

They only want MSRP of $40/each for the pins. Should I just have them install the front two for free and try to do the other two myself (I'm not handy at all, so this makes me nervous) or just forget the entire concept of the AMG door pins? I'm upset it has taken them until a few days before I pick up the car to tell me this. It's not a money issue for me as much as it is about the concept of paying up to $544 in labor to install two $40 door pins. That's ridiculous, especially knowing that others here have had it done for free (which I also told the dealer). It's not making a good impression on a first time Mercedes customer!

Any thoughts? I appreciate your response.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by HillCountryMB
First time poster here, so bear with me. I am picking up my new 2014 E 350 that I ordered in November this Saturday. I asked the dealer to add the AMG door pins because, like many of you, I don't like the stock look at all.

And here is my issue: My dealer agrees that the front door pins are a simple install, but even after sharing this forum information and the earlier poster's attached MB instructions, they continue to insist that the rear door panels have to be removed. They tell me to expect 3-4 hours of labor on those 2 door pins at $136/hour!

They only want MSRP of $40/each for the pins. Should I just have them install the front two for free and try to do the other two myself (I'm not handy at all, so this makes me nervous) or just forget the entire concept of the AMG door pins? I'm upset it has taken them until a few days before I pick up the car to tell me this. It's not a money issue for me as much as it is about the concept of paying up to $544 in labor to install two $40 door pins. That's ridiculous, especially knowing that others here have had it done for free (which I also told the dealer). It's not making a good impression on a first time Mercedes customer!

Any thoughts? I appreciate your response.
Welcome HillCountryMB,

You are a new customer and I'm assuming most dealers would do this for free to keep your business. If not, what real harm can you do to door pins?? I just put on front aftermarket pins last weekend. Took about 15 minutes total. I'm waiting for warmer weather(I live in Boston) to tackle the rears to super glue them. Im going to use pliers to rip them off and then reattach the replacements. If I make a big mistake then I will talk to my dealer. My advice, Try it yourself first if they wont do this for free. Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by stale-bread; 02-20-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM

E350
Originally Posted by stale-bread
Welcome HillCountryMB,

You are a new customer and I'm assuming most dealers would do this for free to keep your business. If not, what real harm can you do to door pins?? I just put on front aftermarket pins last weekend. Took about 15 minutes total. I'm waiting for warmer weather(I live in Boston) to tackle the rears to super glue them. Im going to use pliers to rip them off and then reattach the replacements. If I make a big mistake then I will talk to my dealer. My advice, Try it yourself first if they wont do this for free. Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks, stale-bread! I appreciate your response. I ended up having the dealership install the front two pins (they still charged $40 for the labor on this!), and they gave me the rear two pins to install myself. I may try to do that next weekend. It's a little warmer than Boston here in the Texas Hill Country...

In the meantime, I'm loving the new car!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM

2019 GLC 63
What's the AMG door pin part number? My parts guy is either inept or lazy and can't find the part number. Are they the same for the W212 AMG vs non AMG models?