E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

AMG Door Pin Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E550 4MATIC, '07 Suzuki SV1000S
AMG Door Pin Install

So I recently installed my AMG door pins and today noticed that one of them was on the floor...checked the other side and whaddaya know it is not seated properly either. Made a call to the wife - she relays the message to the service manager at the dealership..."Ohhhh you didn't tell me John ordered those, he need to take the rear door panel off otherwise they will keep popping off - I will give you the installation instructions...is he frustrated with the inability to do it yourself on MB cars yet? - tell him welcome to MB"

WHAT A CLUSTER F the engineers at MB have orchestrated for something that should have been as simple as a screw on fitting - HOLY F-ING SHIZZLE man the assbackwards-ness of this car makes me want to drive it into a WALL.

Ok Ranting over...installation instuctions coming tomorrow - in the meantime I will figure out clever ways to make fun of the MB engineers that designed this and more than likely send them an email on their over engineering one of the smallest things on the vehicle.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
You have to think about it in the way that they don't design the cars to be modifiable. They want it to be as drum tight as possible just the way it comes, which may explain how "in there" things like even door pins are.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM

I disagree

Originally Posted by K-A
You have to think about it in the way that they don't design the cars to be modifiable. They want it to be as drum tight as possible just the way it comes, which may explain how "in there" things like even door pins are.
Then why even make the optional door pin accessory or any others for that matter - look at the illuminated door sills as another example - 20 pages of installation instructions. I think they just suck at keeping things simple.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Take off the door panel? My dealer did it in like 10 min without taking anything off....
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Take off the door panel? My dealer did it in like 10 min without taking anything off....
Probably glued them...I will post the instructions when I get them. Already had the door panel off - it's not that hard to do, but getting the pressure fitting to compress past the lip on the door lock mechanism is really hard to do.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM

2010 E350
You want simple? Don't buy a German car... I hear Toyota makes a Camry...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
I presumed AMG or MB chrome pins were easy to install . I have got these in my ride but I didn't install them .

My private MB service staffs are very skillful , I have made them do these followings well under 30 mins :
Steering wheel change
Clear Led taillights
Carlsson Performance Kit
Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
the rears are typically pressed on with glue or some type of silicone adhesive. thats why i never put the AMG pins in the back on either the C63 or E350. i just use them in the front. dont get me wrong if the backs simply screwed in id do it. but its nice to pull them and reuse them on the next car. 1 they are expensive even with discount and 2 who wants to trade it in with something you can take with you for the next one.

if you have a connection at the dealer, let them do it. if not search the C63 forum. i know several guys there have used an adhesive to keep the back ones from ejecting out.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
How much did you guys get the pins from the dealers for?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
If you had gotten the AMG that you are trying to emulate, you would not have these issues. Just be happy with what you got. Maybe some AMG badges on the rear of the car. I find it hilarious that you call your wife to call the service manager...lol. Maybe you should ask your questions in person?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM

You don't know me so **** off

Originally Posted by ImInPA
If you had gotten the AMG that you are trying to emulate, you would not have these issues. Just be happy with what you got. Maybe some AMG badges on the rear of the car. I find it hilarious that you call your wife to call the service manager...lol. Maybe you should ask your questions in person?
I'm not trying to emulate an AMG by any stretch so ease off there big shot. Secondly my wife works at the dealership so it makes it really convenient for her to ask for those things when she knows the svc manager has a free minute vs me calling him when he's swamped.

I am happy with what I got but there are few things that could be nicer on it and I wouldn't give up my 4matic just to get the correct door lock pins.

Nice condescending attitude towards someone you don't even know...
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM

2012 E350 4matic
it doesnt matter if its an AMG or not. the amgs have the same set up. the pins on the rear are PRESSED on not screwed on. if the guy wants amg pins on his car so be it. after all they look much better than the cheap plastic ones that come on both amg and non amg cars. AND you cant even hardly see the "amg" that is stamped on them. this coming from someone who has had an amg and god forbid a non amg car.

just put them on with a very very small dab of silicone and your good buddy.

as for cost, i cant remember BUT when you order them they come ONE in a pack. so dont think that outrageous price is for a pair. its only for ONE pin.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Wow....really? Attacking someone for the AMG pins?! WTF is wrong with you? They mean nothing, they are just a much nicer alternative to the plastic sticks they come with. Now if someone were putting E63 //AMG on the back of their car, ok get mad...but the door pins? who the hell cares what ones you use?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
Probably glued them...I will post the instructions when I get them. Already had the door panel off - it's not that hard to do, but getting the pressure fitting to compress past the lip on the door lock mechanism is really hard to do.
I installed my door pins myself in 10min...the front doors I just scrfewed them in, the rears I glued them on cuz they don't go down all the way no matter how hard you try, the inside of the pin does not correctly match the door lock upright, so I just glue them in place and it was an easier alternative to tearing the whole door apart. So far so good, no issues at all and I don't have to see those ugly plastic door pins any more. A word of caution, when the doors lock, the pins are flush with the door panel, cuz these door pins are shorter than the plastic ones, so in case of an emergency you wont be able to just pull the door pins up to unlock the door, they won't be accessible at all...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
I'm not trying to emulate an AMG by any stretch so ease off there big shot. Secondly my wife works at the dealership so it makes it really convenient for her to ask for those things when she knows the svc manager has a free minute vs me calling him when he's swamped.

I am happy with what I got but there are few things that could be nicer on it and I wouldn't give up my 4matic just to get the correct door lock pins.

Nice condescending attitude towards someone you don't even know...
Hey , I think you are taking it wrongly . He meant no harm , he's a good person from what I can say from his messages . I was gonna ask a similar question why you make your wife phone at the mamager ,but now things are clear right after your message
Well, I suppose it was you whose wife works at the dealership . If so ,you were asking a question about W212 don't remember off the top of my head right now what it was about . You later spill the beans saying your wife was working at the dealership . A few guys said why didn't you have your wife talk to her boss .
You later told us that her boss gave the go ahead for it . I think it was about a deal or purchase .
Well, hope this message can break and melt the ice
Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Maybe but didn't appreciate "poser" implication

Originally Posted by BenzV12
Hey , I think you are taking it wrongly . He meant no harm , he's a good person from what I can say from his messages . I was gonna ask a similar question why you make your wife phone at the mamager ,but now things are clear right after your message
Well, I suppose it was you whose wife works at the dealership . If so ,you were asking a question about W212 don't remember off the top of my head right now what it was about . You later spill the beans saying your wife was working at the dealership . A few guys said why didn't you have your wife talk to her boss .
You later told us that her boss gave the go ahead for it . I think it was about a deal or purchase .
Well, hope this message can break and melt the ice
Understand the confusion regarding having my wife doing the asking - but my issue is more for the implication that I'm a poser for putting AMG door pins in and the suggestion that I should put AMG badges on the back of my car while I'm at it. Good guy or not - dick thing to say to someone you have no idea what they're really all about.

As for the pins - I get all the advice about gluing them in place but if there is an easy way to install them as MB intended - that's going to be my first option.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Understand the confusion regarding having my wife doing the asking - but my issue is more for the implication that I'm a poser for putting AMG door pins in and the suggestion that I should put AMG badges on the back of my car while I'm at it. Good guy or not - dick thing to say to someone you have no idea what they're really all about.

As for the pins - I get all the advice about gluing them in place but if there is an easy way to install them as MB intended - that's going to be my first option.

What's poser imo is someone who puts E63 AMG badges at the trunk or let's say anyone who owns E350 makes a changover and puts E550 badges instead
Having AMG pins don't make you a poser , if so I am an interior poser then lol
R172 AMG steering wheel , AMG pins , rectangular AMG badges onto the seats , AMG keyring , AMG badges on my notebook , AMG pedals

Well, because I like chrome , aluminum and prefer these over dull plastic this is main reason why I picked up AMG stuffs in my car
Old 08-05-2012, 07:56 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos
I installed my door pins myself in 10min...the front doors I just scrfewed them in, the rears I glued them on cuz they don't go down all the way no matter how hard you try, the inside of the pin does not correctly match the door lock upright, so I just glue them in place and it was an easier alternative to tearing the whole door apart. So far so good, no issues at all and I don't have to see those ugly plastic door pins any more. A word of caution, when the doors lock, the pins are flush with the door panel, cuz these door pins are shorter than the plastic ones, so in case of an emergency you wont be able to just pull the door pins up to unlock the door, they won't be accessible at all...
How would the back passengers be able to get out in emergencies then? The front two doors are okay because you can just pull the door handle to open locked doors, but you cannot do that for the back. I assume the only way to get out is for the front passenger or driver to unlock the door for the back?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by alanme123
How would the back passengers be able to get out in emergencies then? The front two doors are okay because you can just pull the door handle to open locked doors, but you cannot do that for the back. I assume the only way to get out is for the front passenger or driver to unlock the door for the back?
Of course you can get out of the back by just pulling the levers...unless things have changed...or the child locks are on.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM

2012 E350
Originally Posted by renault12ts
Of course you can get out of the back by just pulling the levers...unless things have changed...or the child locks are on.
I thought the only way to open the back doors when locked are by pulling the pins up, then the lever. You can pull the levers to open the locked doors at the back?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by BenzV12
What's poser imo is someone who puts E63 AMG badges at the trunk or let's say anyone who owns E350 makes a changover and puts E550 badges instead
Having AMG pins don't make you a poser , if so I am an interior poser then lol
R172 AMG steering wheel , AMG pins , rectangular AMG badges onto the seats , AMG keyring , AMG badges on my notebook , AMG pedals

Well, because I like chrome , aluminum and prefer these over dull plastic this is main reason why I picked up AMG stuffs in my car
On the interior poser note, was out car shopping with a friend of mine whos looking at picking up a BMW 3 series. We saw one that had the 'M sport pack' every surface inside of it had M badging.....if AMG pins are 'posing' then anyone who buys that package is a horrible person
Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
Slightly OT

Slightly off topic but I have to say that the door pins on the E (non-AMG) are an embarrasement in design, and are probably the most useless feature on the car. They look like the design wasn't completed - un-finished. And, does anyone actually use them? Many new cars have dropped this ancient feature - including my wife's 2008 Q7.
If they are going to keep this feature, then they should look like the AMG pins that the OP referenced. Much cleaner and finished without being too overstated like some of the chrome aftermarket ones being sold on ebay.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM

2012 E350
Can anybody find the Front and Rear AMG pins on parts.com? How much did you guys get them for? I heard it was around $90 for just one pin???!!!!!! Can anybody confirm this???
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM

2012 E350 4matic
i think 90 per pin sounds right. told ya they are sold separately!! and pricey... but nice.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
i got the ones for my old C class off here for like $50 for all 4 i think it was, over a year ago

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Door Pin Install