Keeping New and Dent, Scratches Management

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by bigh123
Ok update, I lowered my insurance to $250/$250 collision/comprehensive deductibles. If I make any claims that are less than $750, my premium will not go up. Doesn't matter how many times. Will this cover most major scratches or dings on the bumpers sides?

As for waxing, I noticed the water beads on my hood now. How about waiting until it stops beading on the hood to get a new coat of wax?
I'm not sure if you want to get in the habit of using your insurance for small things as they will get you sooner or later and it might affect your house insurance also if it is all tied together. I'd just set aside a bunch of money in case you need to have something fixed and use insurance for something major. Just be careful where you leave your car and how you drive it and I think you will most likely have no issues. On the highway I never drive behind any large trucks that might have loose rocks and other debris.

A friend of mine had to make 3 unrelated claims in one year and they screwed him... His car insurance went up, his house insurance went up, and he ended up being reported to some insurance bureau where no one would give him a good rate. It took years to get his "insurance report" back to normal. Apparently they maintain a file for you just like credit card companies.

Having the comprehensive at $250 is very smart though. That's what you'll use if your car is vandalized or damaged by a third party but the thing is I think that deductible is "per incident." I'd love to be wrong on this but i Think if you have one scratch on the front bumper and one on the rear bumper, I doubt you can get both fixed for one $250 deductible.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I'm not sure if you want to get in the habit of using your insurance for small things as they will get you sooner or later and it might affect your house insurance also if it is all tied together. I'd just set aside a bunch of money in case you need to have something fixed and use insurance for something major. Just be careful where you leave your car and how you drive it and I think you will most likely have no issues. On the highway I never drive behind any large trucks that might have loose rocks and other debris.

A friend of mine had to make 3 unrelated claims in one year and they screwed him... His car insurance went up, his house insurance went up, and he ended up being reported to some insurance bureau where no one would give him a good rate. It took years to get his "insurance report" back to normal. Apparently they maintain a file for you just like credit card companies.

Having the comprehensive at $250 is very smart though. That's what you'll use if your car is vandalized or damaged by a third party but the thing is I think that deductible is "per incident." I'd love to be wrong on this but i Think if you have one scratch on the front bumper and one on the rear bumper, I doubt you can get both fixed for one $250 deductible.
I'm not suggesting that. It is $250 per incident. However, if the bumper ends up with a few marks over time and I file a claim after the last time the body shop will repair the whole bumper anyway so it will work out.

I have been with Progressive for 4 years and they promised my rate will not go up.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
One way to keep your car free of nicks, dings or just interior mess is to not take your friends in it! Unless they are car people, the total disregard of some friends when they open the door, or decide to open a wrapped mint and leave the wrapper and mess is not want any of us want to happen.

BTW...I agree with the wisdom above, particularly about how to judge a safe parking space.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by El Cid
Park as far away from entrances to grocery stores, malls, etc. as you can. Walking is good exercise. However, don't necessarily want to be sitting out in the middle of nowhere where some hot rodder zooms across the parking lot.
Park well away from the racks where people park shopping carts. Lot of people just push them toward these areas and let them go.
I also saw a cart sitting by itself, the wind grabbed it and rolled it 15-20 feet into the front of a car at a pretty good speed. Not really a high wind day either.
Avoid parking near pick-up trucks-big doors, as well as the vehicles noted above.
In parking garages, I usually head for a mid to top deck level. Less cars backing in and out.
Be especially careful at places where the spaces are very small.
Also, I drive one of my wife's vehicles when I can.
Car is 2.5 years old and never have it detailed. Wash it myself about every 2-3 months and wax it twice a year. Use Mcguair's wax and Mother's car wash. Use two buckets for washing-one for soap and one for rinsing. Use conveyor type automated car wash for my other vehicles and they look just as good as mine.
No real benefit to waxing most cars today except to help repel bird droppings, tree sap, etc. Paints today are really good. Don't park under trees!
have no dings, chips, etc., but car is garaged about 85% of time. Has been on long trips though.
Be careful, but all in all, it is a car.
That is very poor advice. Paints need protection from all sorts of environmental fallout. While you car may look "fine" now, you'd be amazed at how it looks when it is properly detailed.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Stand by my comment

Originally Posted by CEB
That is very poor advice. Paints need protection from all sorts of environmental fallout. While you car may look "fine" now, you'd be amazed at how it looks when it is properly detailed.
This is not my opinion, but a report from Consumer Reports after testing several different waxes and treatments. Sometimes we see what we want to see.
My car looks as good after I just wash it as it does after I wax it. The paint is that good.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by El Cid
This is not my opinion, but a report from Consumer Reports after testing several different waxes and treatments. Sometimes we see what we want to see.
My car looks as good after I just wash it as it does after I wax it. The paint is that good.
Consumer Reports is fine for testing dish soap but really isn't very good with anything automotive.

I can guarantee you that a proper detail will make your car look much better thatn it looks now.

I'm assuming that you are referring to this CR review where they say in part:

"Thanks to today's clear-coat finishes, our testing shows that even the best wax will probably not improve the shine on a new car. Regular washing is still the most important step to protecting your car's finish. But a coat of wax can add a layer of protection against tree sap, bird droppings, and other contaminants--at least for a while. Most products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks. For this reason, we recommend waxing even new cars every two or three months. And if your car is older or the finish has begun to dull, the effects can be even more dramatic. Waxing can fill minute finish imperfections, and waxes that scored highly for gloss improvement removed oxidation and made paint appear darker and more vibrant."

Taking a brand new properly detailed car and waxing it regularly will keep your shine, but automatic car washes will create swirls and imperfections that need to removed mechanically.

Most people have never seen a properly detailed car so they don't know what "good" really is. Even CR recommends periodic waxing to preserve the finish.

For a really good finish you'll want to wash, polish, seal and then wax the paint. That will keep your paint looking new.

Last edited by CEB; 08-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM

W203-4M W163
I saw a bra on a silver E55 last weekend at a MBCA meet. I didn't notice the bra until I was a few feet away. I'm sure the color had something to do with it, but it was almost unnoticeable on the silver E55 AMG.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM

W203-4M W163
Parking Nirvana (almost)

OK, so today, I pulled up for a meeting at about 4PM. I usually get a spot early, but couldn't do it today, so it's a crap shoot. Can't park far enough away, can't get one of my choice corner spots. It happens right?

I pulled up today, and found this waiting for me:

So:

1. I can pull in from the stall behind where I'm going to park, and I can exit without backing up. CHECK
2. The car on my left is parked like I am, so the driver door cannot ding my car. CHECK
3. The car on my right is parked with the front end facing forward, so the driver door cannot ding my car. CHECK
4. 99% of all cars in this lot are single occupant cars. CHECK
5. Parking Nirvana. CHECK. (Well, a corner spot 100 feet away from the madding crowd is preferable, but sometimes you have to park in the stall you're given, rather than the stall you want...)

I explained to my wife during dinner this evening, of course, she thinks I'm completely insane.

Business as usual. Carry on.

Last edited by FraKctured; 09-11-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
another thing , especially on the lowered cars is avoid manholes as the depth to the cover can vary wildly, and avoid bumping into anything. Even a low speed impact can crack your finish.