Keeping New and Dent, Scratches Management

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Keeping New and Dent, Scratches Management

Hi All,

After finally getting my dream car last week, I'm looking for ideas here to keep the car looking new and if anyone has recommendations to take care of dents/scratches that are bound to happen (I live in a city although the car will only be driven for pleasure)? Any waxes? Keep deductibles low on insurance?

They offered me the protection services before I bought the car (tire/wheel and dent insurance) but they seemed too expensive so I passed. We have parktronic, so I hope that will prevent many accidents in parking lots.

Thanks beforehand!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM

E350 Coupe
As far as dents go as long as the paint is not damaged. Paintless dent repair is the way to go. A good dent guy can perform miracles. I had some dents on another car repaired by one of these guys and you could absolutely not tell where it had been repaired. As far as scratches go I'd love to find a perfect solution myself. There are two popular DIY products Dr Colorchip and Langka. I've used the Langka kit and it does a good but in my eyes not perfect fix. I would search for detailing sites and learn to maintain your car's finish yourself. There is an initial investment required to purchase an orbital buffer, pads and products but there is great satisfaction in being able to do it yourself as opposed to taking it to a pro detailer.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM

e350
Originally Posted by steelgrey
As far as dents go as long as the paint is not damaged. Paintless dent repair is the way to go. A good dent guy can perform miracles. I had some dents on another car repaired by one of these guys and you could absolutely not tell where it had been repaired. As far as scratches go I'd love to find a perfect solution myself. There are two popular DIY products Dr Colorchip and Langka. I've used the Langka kit and it does a good but in my eyes not perfect fix. I would search for detailing sites and learn to maintain your car's finish yourself. There is an initial investment required to purchase an orbital buffer, pads and products but there is great satisfaction in being able to do it yourself as opposed to taking it to a pro detailer.
So if you protect the top coat of the paint, will that prevent scratches form getting to the patent layer?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
It is best to avoid dents and scratches than fix them. Dents can be popped back but as far as scratches are concerned with all the technology we have they are very expensive to get fixed properly.

The biggest thing you can do about scratches is to be very careful where you park your car...

If I parallel park my car I always find an "end spot" and leave PLENTY of room for the other driver. If you frequent parking garages, get to know the attendants and tip them and they will hold "preferred" parking spots for you... Also if you can avoid it, never park next to coupes or really large SUVs as they have longer doors. Also avoid parking next to a car that looks like it came from the junkyard because it is likely whoever owns it cares even less about the property of others (i.e. your car). I also avoid parking next to vehicles with car seats as parents may open doors wide to get their children in and out without being careful about your car and children may swing their doors out completely.

The parking situation is what I like least about owning my car...
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM

E350 Coupe
WEBSRFR is correct it's best to avoid damage as much as possible. Nothing short of a clear bra on the front, hood and mirror covers will prevent stone chips and scratches. Wax and sealants do offer some protection against micro marring, swirl marks and environmental contaminates. Probably your paints two biggest enemies are bird droppings and tree sap. Don't park under trees and if a bird drops a present on your car get it of as soon as possible.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by steelgrey
WEBSRFR is correct it's best to avoid damage as much as possible. Nothing short of a clear bra on the front, hood and mirror covers will prevent stone chips and scratches. Wax and sealants do offer some protection against micro marring, swirl marks and environmental contaminates. Probably your paints two biggest enemies are bird droppings and tree sap. Don't park under trees and if a bird drops a present on your car get it of as soon as possible.
Great points and totally agree on WEB's post as well

Let me add something that beware cats , they could chew a gum sorry I mean antenna
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Best way to keep it looking new is to keep it in a garage, covered up and never drive it.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11' E350, 12' E550
Originally Posted by sosh
Best way to keep it looking new is to keep it in a garage, covered up and never drive it.
Totally agree, I drove mine out on the second time, someone put a dent on my passenger's door
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
It is best to avoid dents and scratches than fix them. Dents can be popped back but as far as scratches are concerned with all the technology we have they are very expensive to get fixed properly.

The biggest thing you can do about scratches is to be very careful where you park your car...

If I parallel park my car I always find an "end spot" and leave PLENTY of room for the other driver.
Watch out on the end spots with curbs though--you can easily scratch your rims if you get too close to the curb backing out.

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
If you frequent parking garages, get to know the attendants and tip them and they will hold "preferred" parking spots for you... Also if you can avoid it, never park next to coupes or really large SUVs as they have longer doors. Also avoid parking next to a car that looks like it came from the junkyard because it is likely whoever owns it cares even less about the property of others (i.e. your car). I also avoid parking next to vehicles with car seats as parents may open doors wide to get their children in and out without being careful about your car and children may swing their doors out completely.

The parking situation is what I like least about owning my car...
+1 "Strategic Parking 101"

When in a parking lot, park it a hundred feet from the nearest car. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but walking 30 seconds longer makes a difference in the dings, and it's cheaper than going to a gym to walk on the treadmill.

Sometimes you can't help but park in a riskier spot, but if you park it strategically most of the time, it makes a big difference.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Tesla
Does anybody have any experiences on "Dr Color Chip?" Many people swear by them...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Use all due diligence when parking and dirving. You are going to get chips and dings no matter how careful you are. The only way to avoid them is to not drive it. Just enjoy the car. When the paint get a little ratty looking up front, have it re-sprayed for a few hundred bucks....looks brand new again.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM

e350
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Great points and totally agree on WEB's post as well

Let me add something that beware cats , they could chew a gum sorry I mean antenna
You guys are so funny! I love the cat story.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM

e350
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Watch out on the end spots with curbs though--you can easily scratch your rims if you get too close to the curb backing out.

+1 "Strategic Parking 101"

When in a parking lot, park it a hundred feet from the nearest car. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but walking 30 seconds longer makes a difference in the dings, and it's cheaper than going to a gym to walk on the treadmill.

Sometimes you can't help but park in a riskier spot, but if you park it strategically most of the time, it makes a big difference.
These are all good ideas! How often (miliege or months based) do people get their cars detailed? Do you recommend doing it at the dealer?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by bigh123
These are all good ideas! How often (miliege or months based) do people get their cars detailed? Do you recommend doing it at the dealer?
I have mine done annually when its serviced at the dealers, they do a good job. My own feelings are that these are really bread and butter cars very nice but not really that special. They are daily drivers. Many people do an overkill and drive themselves nuts with the special treatment.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:05 PM

E350 Coupe
I have mine done annually when its serviced at the dealers, they do a good job. My own feelings are that these are really bread and butter cars very nice but not really that special. They are daily drivers. Many people do an overkill and drive themselves nuts with the special treatment.
Just because you consider them bread and butter is no reason not to have the shiniest Benz in the parking lot. Detailing can be and for me is a very satisfying hobby. Although I will admit I'm retired and have plenty of time to invest in keeping my cars perfect.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM

e350
It depends on the owner. For me it is special. A 60k car for most americans is something special.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
You guys are so funny! I love the cat story.
I really hope that friggin' little creature no longer chews OP's antenna . That story sounds hilarious but honestly it is kinda tragic .
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Many people do an overkill and drive themselves nuts with the special treatment.
True statement; I always park far, far away from everyone and today, I got a dent...the car only has 9,300 miles.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 PM

W203-4M W163
I get mine done every spring to get the winter grime out and off. I do a thorough cleaning myself in the fall, with wax. I've tried a couple of different detail shops, haven't had it done at the dealer though, so I'm not sure if there is any better treatment there or not.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Park as far away from entrances to grocery stores, malls, etc. as you can. Walking is good exercise. However, don't necessarily want to be sitting out in the middle of nowhere where some hot rodder zooms across the parking lot.
Park well away from the racks where people park shopping carts. Lot of people just push them toward these areas and let them go.
I also saw a cart sitting by itself, the wind grabbed it and rolled it 15-20 feet into the front of a car at a pretty good speed. Not really a high wind day either.
Avoid parking near pick-up trucks-big doors, as well as the vehicles noted above.
In parking garages, I usually head for a mid to top deck level. Less cars backing in and out.
Be especially careful at places where the spaces are very small.
Also, I drive one of my wife's vehicles when I can.
Car is 2.5 years old and never have it detailed. Wash it myself about every 2-3 months and wax it twice a year. Use Mcguair's wax and Mother's car wash. Use two buckets for washing-one for soap and one for rinsing. Use conveyor type automated car wash for my other vehicles and they look just as good as mine.
No real benefit to waxing most cars today except to help repel bird droppings, tree sap, etc. Paints today are really good. Don't park under trees!
have no dings, chips, etc., but car is garaged about 85% of time. Has been on long trips though.
Be careful, but all in all, it is a car.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Once you are certain that everyone knows you are driving an E class, park it in the garage and use taxis.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Touch up paint is garbage. Clear bra film the car asap!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM

e350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Once you are certain that everyone knows you are driving an E class, park it in the garage and use taxis.

LOL. Love it. Thanks to all again for good ideas. I am going to show my wife, the primary driver and bumpercar expert, this thread.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM

e350
Originally Posted by El Cid
Park as far away from entrances to grocery stores, malls, etc. as you can. Walking is good exercise. However, don't necessarily want to be sitting out in the middle of nowhere where some hot rodder zooms across the parking lot.
Park well away from the racks where people park shopping carts. Lot of people just push them toward these areas and let them go.
I also saw a cart sitting by itself, the wind grabbed it and rolled it 15-20 feet into the front of a car at a pretty good speed. Not really a high wind day either.
Avoid parking near pick-up trucks-big doors, as well as the vehicles noted above.
In parking garages, I usually head for a mid to top deck level. Less cars backing in and out.
Be especially careful at places where the spaces are very small.
Also, I drive one of my wife's vehicles when I can.
Car is 2.5 years old and never have it detailed. Wash it myself about every 2-3 months and wax it twice a year. Use Mcguair's wax and Mother's car wash. Use two buckets for washing-one for soap and one for rinsing. Use conveyor type automated car wash for my other vehicles and they look just as good as mine.
No real benefit to waxing most cars today except to help repel bird droppings, tree sap, etc. Paints today are really good. Don't park under trees!
have no dings, chips, etc., but car is garaged about 85% of time. Has been on long trips though.
Be careful, but all in all, it is a car.
Ok update, I lowered my insurance to $250/$250 collision/comprehensive deductibles. If I make any claims that are less than $750, my premium will not go up. Doesn't matter how many times. Will this cover most major scratches or dings on the bumpers sides?

As for waxing, I noticed the water beads on my hood now. How about waiting until it stops beading on the hood to get a new coat of wax?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Before you get a clear bra, look at cars with them. I looked at a used Lexus that had one and you could spot it 25 feet away. Not because it was a different color, but because there was a line across the hood where bra ended.
Have had car 2.5 years and no scratches or dings in hood and a lot of my driving is on country roads.
Consumer Reports did a study on waxing. Finishes today are so good, probably not needed for couple of years or more. But does help repel bird and tree droppings. Still I do mine every 6 months or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping New and Dent, Scratches Management