Fun things you learn from the manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Fun things you learn from the manual

Hi all,

I believe that one issue many people (including myself) have is simply not following instructions. So to follow instructions I looked at the manual cover to cover now two weeks into buying the car. Here are two things that were fun to find out:

1. For the 1st 1k miles (for non AMG cars) shift gently and do not run tachometer above 2/3.
2. Do not wash in brushless car wash because of the harsh chemicals (I guess soft brush wash is the way to go)
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I am a strong advocate of throughly reading Operators, COMAND and Maintenance manuals. Have always done it. Mine are filled with red underlining, highlights, notes in margins, etc. Even write out notes on paper to simplify some of the instructions in the manual.
Interesting one I found is that you have to place HVAC on re-circulate before using an automatic car wash. Problem is that if you use the conveyor type, you have to park your car and cut it off. This disengages the re-circulator. Then an attendant drives it to the conveyor. Even if you tell him and show him, will he do it? Will the same guy drive it that vacumed it?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by El Cid
I am a strong advocate of throughly reading Operators, COMAND and Maintenance manuals. Have always done it. Mine are filled with red underlining, highlights, notes in margins, etc. Even write out notes on paper to simplify some of the instructions in the manual.
Interesting one I found is that you have to place HVAC on re-circulate before using an automatic car wash. Problem is that if you use the conveyor type, you have to park your car and cut it off. This disengages the re-circulator. Then an attendant drives it to the conveyor. Even if you tell him and show him, will he do it? Will the same guy drive it that vacumed it?
Why not just turn the A/C off completely in that case?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
why do you have to put the air on recirc before a car wash? i get mine washed atleast once a week and have never put it on...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
even on recirculate, I get soap smell in the car. I use a "drive it through yourself" type car wash that uses brushes....and hope for no scratches.

There is much information in the manuals...and there is much information that isn't in the manuals e.g. how do you see your instruments if you are driving at dusk? which is the correct tire pressure label to follow?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Operator's Manual says to

My Operators Manual (2010) says to engage re-circulation if using an automatic car wash. Check section under washing the car in your manual.
Apparently it has something to do with the force of water from overhead jets may force water to go into the cabin filter, even if A/C is off.
I guess recirc closes a door or something that keeps water out.