E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Well......I'm giving in and getting a....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The Tickle-me-Elmo phone requires a special cable from MB ($360.00). There have been reported issues with Voice commands, as COMMAND has trouble understanding Elmo's speech impediments. I would just get the idiot-proof iPhone. Mine works great in the car.
Please tell us where you found the cable for $360. My catalog lists it $1250 plus tax.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
If all you want is a basic phone to pair up then anyone with bluetooth should do. I have a low end Nokia that does the job. No need to buy a $600 smartphone if that is not what you are looking for.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Here are some additional considerations that I don't think have been mentioned. Ian not trying to talk you into something you don't want, but want to suggest things you might not know that you would want. If you don't, I'm cool with that.

I too have a young daughter for which I have primary care. My wife is a busy professional. I go to lots of playdates, to the park, wait at piano, etc., etc. I like my iPhone because I have entertainment while she is busy. Ican read news, check this board, look up stuff, plan meals, etc. apps are very good for this. They reduce my boredom that might otherwise cut short my kid's fun. You are into music, and there are tons of music apps. Ones that let you compose. Guitar apps. Jordan Rudess has a cool but expensive app called Morph Wizard that is a iPhone/iPad app that is a really cool synthesizer. Check out youtube videos of him playing with petrucci on guitar. There are kid's apps - Talking Tom - that will keep a kid occupied when you just need to talk with adults but have forgotten her bag of entertainment. There are apps that will label all the stars in the sky and the constellations - just point the phone at the sky. I was happy with my brick of a phone called a blackberry, but I could never go back.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by telemakhos
If all you want is a basic phone to pair up then anyone with bluetooth should do. I have a low end Nokia that does the job. No need to buy a $600 smartphone if that is not what you are looking for.
yeah, it's just bananas how much one can spend on a phone
you know?
Originally Posted by ttoE550
Here are some additional considerations that I don't think have been mentioned. Ian not trying to talk you into something you don't want, but want to suggest things you might not know that you would want. If you don't, I'm cool with that.

I too have a young daughter for which I have primary care. My wife is a busy professional. I go to lots of playdates, to the park, wait at piano, etc., etc. I like my iPhone because I have entertainment while she is busy. Ican read news, check this board, look up stuff, plan meals, etc. apps are very good for this. They reduce my boredom that might otherwise cut short my kid's fun. You are into music, and there are tons of music apps. Ones that let you compose. Guitar apps. Jordan Rudess has a cool but expensive app called Morph Wizard that is a iPhone/iPad app that is a really cool synthesizer. Check out youtube videos of him playing with petrucci on guitar. There are kid's apps - Talking Tom - that will keep a kid occupied when you just need to talk with adults but have forgotten her bag of entertainment. There are apps that will label all the stars in the sky and the constellations - just point the phone at the sky. I was happy with my brick of a phone called a blackberry, but I could never go back.

those are a lot of great points, and they all do sound very intriging.....
I'm glad to know there's another Dad out there like me......
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by hyperion667
that is a good idea but I have not set foot in a wally world in years and don't plan to just for a stupid fooking cell phone!

but thanx(honestly)
Then go to a Sprint store. They sell them and other major retailers like Target.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by hyperion667
yeah, it's just bananas how much one can spend on a phone
you know?
Ha ha... I went bananas myself and bought a fancy phone for my wife. As a side benefit, it will help keep the kids occupied during plane trips.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by edwinwalke
Then go to a Sprint store. They sell them and other major retailers like Target.
I didn't realize they're so available.....
they're everywhere!!!!!!! lol!

Originally Posted by telemakhos
Ha ha... I went bananas myself and bought a fancy phone for my wife. As a side benefit, it will help keep the kids occupied during plane trips.
haha, that reminds me of a lady I saw on an elevator with her kid: the kid had her phone, think it was an iphone or something with the sliding screen
thing.....anyway, the kid screwed something up because the lady yanked it out of his hand and was scolding him while asking "how did you do that??"
obviously tweaked a setting or something......LOL
Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Less is more

If you want a cell phone only for very limited use, call one of the major companies or visit one of their stores. I got a plan with Verizon several years ago for 50 minutes per month and only one area code. If I call outside my area code, I pay a small roaming charge.
When I got my car, I called Verizon and they updated me free to a basic phone that was Bluetooth compatible. Also makes pictures and other stuff that I never use.
Phone is only on if I am out of town or expecting to call or be called. That way I have never hit the 50 minute limit.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM

2010 E350
I've never read your phone / car rants etc but I cannot live or operate efficiently without it.

Iphone / end thread... I am a technologist and platform agnostic. The Iphone IS the best choice as it is more than a phone, it truly is a personal assistant. I can bluetooth stream Pandora, XM radio, Spanish and German audiobooks and lessons. If I need to find a business or location I can Google immediately with no waiting. I use it for email, contact management, personal and business reminders via the Exchange connector.

When I was traveing back from SA my United app was feeding me second by second updates to my flight status and gate number when even before the Panama City airport had the info on the departure boards.

Yes these are apps and NOT the phone which is merely the delivery device. However the depth and breadth of available apps and support is untouchable.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:53 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist
I've never read your phone / car rants etc but I cannot live or operate efficiently without it.

Iphone / end thread... I am a technologist and platform agnostic. The Iphone IS the best choice as it is more than a phone, it truly is a personal assistant. I can bluetooth stream Pandora, XM radio, Spanish and German audiobooks and lessons. If I need to find a business or location I can Google immediately with no waiting. I use it for email, contact management, personal and business reminders via the Exchange connector.

When I was traveing back from SA my United app was feeding me second by second updates to my flight status and gate number when even before the Panama City airport had the info on the departure boards.

Yes these are apps and NOT the phone which is merely the delivery device. However the depth and breadth of available apps and support is untouchable.
I can do everything you've stated with my Blackberry. All those things are hallmarks of a smartphone - not an iPhone.

The iPhone does has a huge amount of apps but how many different types of apps do you need that create farting sounds?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
I use both the iPhone 4S and the BlackBerry 9900.

BlackBerry:
+ Textmessages shown on COMAND screen.
+ Easy internet setup allowing COMAND to go online via BlackBerry's bluetooth connection (questionable use due to slow speed and only works when transmission in Park).

iPhone:
+ If you have unlimited data plan, nice to stream internet radio to car system. More apps for these things than BlackBerry.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by W210
I use both the iPhone 4S and the BlackBerry 9900.

BlackBerry:
+ Textmessages shown on COMAND screen.
+ Easy internet setup allowing COMAND to go online via BlackBerry's bluetooth connection (questionable use due to slow speed and only works when transmission in Park).

iPhone:
+ If you have unlimited data plan, nice to stream internet radio to car system. More apps for these things than BlackBerry.
Gee I wish I had a NTG 4.5 version COMAND HU, so I could at least experiment with the Internet. If I see one cheap, maybe I will switch it out and try it out.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist

wow! that is some load of work you're doing on that thing.....
I'm not so important, (not being sarcastic)
I just need one to be contacted for school related emergencies.....

El Cid had a pretty good sounding solution....
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by CEB
I can do everything you've stated with my Blackberry. All those things are hallmarks of a smartphone - not an iPhone.

The iPhone does has a huge amount of apps but how many different types of apps do you need that create farting sounds?
iPhone does have SIRI though, which is unique to it. Of course, still in beta form and rough around the edges on the 4S, but I know many "successful businessmen" who swear by it (meaning it's not just for asking goofy questions.... and yes, she will tell you which whorehouses are nearby if you say you're horny/need to get laid, or where to dump a body nearby if need be ). With iPhone 5 and IOS6, it should be further refined (SIRI).

Also, one thing that people seem to be so used to, is the iPhone's hardware/material/tactile/build quality. Apple was about the first company of our time to truly revolutionize how "tactile quality" counts in the gadget/technology/devices categories. When Apple got serious, is when people started talking about phones (and computers/gadgetry) like they do cars (adjectives like "solid", "seamless", "gorgeous", "no cheap plastic", etc. were used). Still, all phones are majorly plastic. Apple has a phone that consists of no plastic at all. If you appreciate a quality handheld feel, like you would touching around a high quality car interior, iPhone is still really the only game in town.

.... Of course, that's until you drop it on that glass case . iPhone 5 apparently will have an aluminum and glass mix on the back, so it should fix that functionality aspect.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
iPhone does have SIRI though, which is unique to it. Of course, still in beta form and rough around the edges on the 4S, but I know many "successful businessmen" who swear by it (meaning it's not just for asking goofy questions.... and yes, she will tell you which whorehouses are nearby if you say you're horny/need to get laid, or where to dump a body nearby if need be ). With iPhone 5 and IOS6, it should be further refined (SIRI).

Also, one thing that people seem to be so used to, is the iPhone's hardware/material/tactile/build quality. Apple was about the first company of our time to truly revolutionize how "tactile quality" counts in the gadget/technology/devices categories. When Apple got serious, is when people started talking about phones (and computers/gadgetry) like they do cars (adjectives like "solid", "seamless", "gorgeous", "no cheap plastic", etc. were used). Still, all phones are majorly plastic. Apple has a phone that consists of no plastic at all. If you appreciate a quality handheld feel, like you would touching around a high quality car interior, iPhone is still really the only game in town.

.... Of course, that's until you drop it on that glass case . iPhone 5 apparently will have an aluminum and glass mix on the back, so it should fix that functionality aspect.
SIRI is an interesting concept and the build quality - with the exception of the antenna issues - is outstanding.

As a device that does many things OK the the iPhone is fine, but Blackberry blows it out of the water for a straight email and phone.

I find the phone interface clunky and antiquated. Not having physical keys doesn't help much either.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
hype, you can either get the prepaid phone w/bluetooth feature from wal-mart. try it and keep it if it works. return it if not. they have a few cheap prepaid phones. second option is get a used unlocked phone on ebay or craigslist. then sign up w/whatever service provider you like or whoever offers the best monthly rate plan. either way will be fine. good luck!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
K-A I have discovered that SIRI is just another woman I don't listen too.