E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Is the E550 the worst car Mercedes ever built?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I agree completely. I thought people who put super low profile tires in their cars understood the physics of hitting a pothole. The suspension and tires has so little to give and the wheel ends up taking the impact and there is only so much of impact it can take. I've learned my lesson and will never go back to low profile tires. If I see a car in a lot I like and it has low profile tires I will buy it only of they swap them out for tires that can get me to where I am going without wheel failures.

I think Mercedes is partly to blame here by giving "free" sport upgrades to most E550s. I don't think most of their customers realize the durability tradeoff you make with those tires. The tires above all should get you to where you are going without leaving you stranded with wheel failures.

Unless someone really loves low profile tires and understands the risks associated, you should just refuse to accept a car with low profile tires. When enough people do that Mercedes will stop offering these silly fragile tires to people who may need something more durable.
+1 They look cool, but there are always tradeoffs--not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Verdict: TROLL
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by CEB
No, the W212 is the worst ever. Mine ran out of gas at 400 miles. Can you believe it? Only 400 miles and I had to go to the garage to get more gas.

What was MB thinking.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
What are the specs for your tires? It will help to know so others with similar tire configurations can chime in.

I personally would not recommend anyone drive on low profile tire unless you drive on roads that are impeccably maintained. I don't think you actually gain much in performance with the low profile tires as far as the 550 is concerned but that is beside the point. I too used to have low profile tires and had wheel failures.

I changed to regular tires and I've never had any wheel issues since (knock on wood). In fact I will never buy another car with low profile tires. With low profile tires you get a harsher ride, fragile wheels prone to failure, and I really see no benefits.

Do you absolutely really MUST have low profile tires in your car? Would you consider regular profile tires in either 17 or 18 inch?

I don't think you should knock the 550 for your wheel situation though. It seems to be because of a wheel choice that is not conducive to your driving circumstances based on all your wheel failures.

It is a wonderful car and in that class/range there's nothing else I'd buy.
I agree completely. I thought people who put super low profile tires in their cars understood the physics of hitting a pothole. The suspension and tires has so little to give and the wheel ends up taking the impact and there is only so much of impact it can take. I've learned my lesson and will never go back to low profile tires. If I see a car in a lot I like and it has low profile tires I will buy it only of they swap them out for tires that can get me to where I am going without wheel failures.

I think Mercedes is partly to blame here by giving "free" sport upgrades to most E550s. I don't think most of their customers realize the durability tradeoff you make with those tires. The tires above all should get you to where you are going without leaving you stranded with wheel failures.

Unless someone really loves low profile tires and understands the risks associated, you should just refuse to accept a car with low profile tires. When enough people do that Mercedes will stop offering these silly fragile tires to people who may need something more durable.
This is a prime opportunity to discuss what a low profile tire really is.

By definition, a low profile tire is one where the height of the sidewall is less than 65% of the width of the contact surface of the tire.

Since the manufacturer has specified the outside rolling diameter of the tire for a specific car, that outside diameter can be reached in several ways - small wheel and lots of sidewall or big wheel and little sidewall.

For appearances, manufacturers have been going to larger wheels because we as consumers think they look cool.

The problem is that any combination for our cars will be low profile - but the more sidewall you can add, the better your handling and the fewer risks of breaking something.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 657 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by markp43
I have a 2010 E550 with AMG rims. I am having unbelievable problems.

My rims get bent after any small road bump resulting in vibration when driving at speeds greater than 60 mph. Every 4 - 6 weeks I need to have my AMG rims straightened up. I have had about 6 rims and 8 tires replaced. (Luckily I have tyre and rim insurance and they pay for everything.) This is due to a fundamental design problem with the combination of the weight of the car, the airmatic suspension and the AMG rims resulting in bent rims after any small road bump. This is driving me up the wall!!

I now drive the car like it's a baby. Really carefully and really slow. Still having same problems with the rims. Today my car is at MB service AGAIN, getting 1 new tire and 2 rims straightened.

The only thing Mercedes wants to do for me is end my lease early so I can get another Mercedes. After so much trouble, why would I ever want to get another Mercedes? Ever?

PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

PS Prior to my E550 I owned a BMW M5 with racing M5 alloy rims - I NEVER had any bent rims. EVER. Same roads. Same driver, Used to drive a lot more aggressively.

I have a 2010 E550 with 18" AMG rims. Happened that I drove over something that looke like 2" thick square metal bar on an interstate higheay at 70 mph. Could not go around because of cars next to me.

When hitting it, it made a very big impact on both front and rear left side tires/wheels. Stopped immediately to inspect and was sure I had lost two tires and wheels but the front came thru unscaved. Rear wheel has about 3/8" deep cut in the outer rim and the tire got cut but not to reinforcement layers.

I stopped at the closest tire shop and the guy told me to just glue it as it was not a dangerous cut, which I did. He even said he could sell me the tire but would hate to do that as it was not necessary.

As a result of all this the rims in front or rear did not get bent or damaged other than the cut in the outer rim of the rear wheel. No vibrations, NOTHING.

Because of this experience and that you have gone thru multiple wheel changes I DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR STYORY.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Karl901
Markp43,
I think you should trade that E550 in for a pickup truck, it would fit your driving style better.

People not liking this car usually are those who realize after buying one they cannot afford to have one.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CEB
No, the W212 is the worst ever. Mine ran out of gas at 400 miles. Can you believe it? Only 400 miles and I had to go to the garage to get more gas.

What was MB thinking.

I agree, it is very bad for MPG. My last fill-up calculated only 15.6 MPG on a half tank that I was driving almost all city and used my foot as hard as I could everywhere. Thought it would have given me at least 16.5 MPG.

But I absolutely love it when it goes when I ask...
Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by CEB
For appearances, manufacturers have been going to larger wheels because we as consumers think they look cool.

The problem is that any combination for our cars will be low profile - but the more sidewall you can add, the better your handling and the fewer risks of breaking something.
I honestly don't get this. I don’t think the low profile tires look “cool” at all. I think they look scrawny and emaciated. They look like they will leave you stranded on the side of the road when you hit a moderate pothole. They look like you’ll be on the wayside as other cars drive past you as you wait for a tow truck. They look like you will be spending another thousand dollars to fix the stupid wheel and drive around in a donut tire until the replacement wheel is in or fixed. They look like you will have to go through these same motions over and over again.

Never again. I actually like the look of a substantial tire that will not wilt if I graze a curb accidentally.

Like I said earlier I think if Mercedes customers understood the tradeoffs in these silly fragile tires I bet very few would get them.

And this is not to take away from people who like low profile tires. If that is your thing that is great and you should enjoy that. My point is when you put them in your car, you know what you are getting yourself into (hopefully)! But your typical Mercedes buyer has no idea that Mercedes is selling them a product with inferior tires that are more prone to failure.

I really think Mercedes should stop installing low profile tires by default (unless requested by the customer), especially in a mainstream daily driver vehicle like the E class.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
I honestly don't get this. I don’t think the low profile tires look “cool” at all. I think they look scrawny and emaciated. They look like they will leave you stranded on the side of the road when you hit a moderate pothole. They look like you’ll be on the wayside as other cars drive past you as you wait for a tow truck. They look like you will be spending another thousand dollars to fix the stupid wheel and drive around in a donut tire until the replacement wheel is in or fixed. They look like you will have to go through these same motions over and over again.

Never again. I actually like the look of a substantial tire that will not wilt if I graze a curb accidentally.

Like I said earlier I think if Mercedes customers understood the tradeoffs in these silly fragile tires I bet very few would get them.

And this is not to take away from people who like low profile tires. If that is your thing that is great and you should enjoy that. My point is when you put them in your car, you know what you are getting yourself into (hopefully)! But your typical Mercedes buyer has no idea that Mercedes is selling them a product with inferior tires that are more prone to failure.

I really think Mercedes should stop installing low profile tires by default (unless requested by the customer), especially in a mainstream daily driver vehicle like the E class.
Not much they can do. To assure shorter stopping distances you need larger brakes. For larger brakes you need larger wheels which means you can either raise the rolling diameter or decrease the sidewall there is only so much you increase the overall diameter before it looks cartoonish.

Low profile is here to stay.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
Originally Posted by CEB
Not much they can do. To assure shorter stopping distances you need larger brakes. For larger brakes you need larger wheels which means you can either raise the rolling diameter or decrease the sidewall there is only so much you increase the overall diameter before it looks cartoonish.

If I remember correctly the E550 is no longer available with 17" wheels because of the increased diameter of the brake rotors.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
AMG has wheels they offer as options in Germany, that MB will not sell in USA due to our sh** roads. They would not offer 19" wheels until they had to accommodate the larger rotors. (18 " on E550)
My, advice, write your favorite legislator. Good luck with that.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by CEB

That's a good point. I didn't think of the brake rotor situation.

Have you seen the 60-0 specs for the new E550 with the bigger rotors? I've always been disappointed with the approx. 130 feet stopping distance for the E class that ranks right up there with the huge Volvo XC90 SUV when Jaguar, Audi and BMW manages that in about 110 feet. The profile of the tires used to be 45% I think. Hopefully they can fit the rotors in with a profile around 40%. It's when you go below that that I think you start seeing most of the wheel failures.

The other day some idiot drifted into my lane and I had to swerve right a bit to give him some time to get back on his lane but during that time my tire made contact with the curb and I was afraid I damaged my wheel. I checked what had happened and my standard profile tires did a great job of handling the situation. The standard profile Conti tires actually has a bit of a rubber lip that goes around the edge of the wheel rim to protect the wheel. I saw some black rubber marks on the wheel where the tire compressed while protecting the wheel and the rubber marks washed away leaving a clean wheel. Had this been a low profile tire there likely would have been real damage done to the wheel from the brief contact.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 09-01-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Okay so just did some research and the following is what the E550 now ships with. So the 40% aspect ratio should not be too bad...

18-inch AMG twin 5-spoke alloy wheels
245/40 R18 all-season

Legendary 18-inch AMG wheels are standard on the E550 4MATIC Sport Sedan. Their twin-spoke design features highly polished surfaces with painted pockets, and they're fitted with all-season tires.

And of course here is the disclaimer attached to the wheels being offered:

Lower aspect ratio tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadware, tire noise and reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 09-01-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by Arrie
People not liking this car usually are those who realize after buying one they cannot afford to have one.
Really? How do you come to that conclusion? I think the OP is either a troll or is just simply used to driving a truck with huge tires where it doesn't matter how hard you hit a pot hole.