E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

INOPERABLE!!! WTF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
INOPERABLE!!! WTF?

So last night I had my car parked and turned it off, waiting for my son at the train station. After he gets in the car, the car wont start and the battery is dead. Literally didnt even have the lights/stereo on, nothing everything was powered off. The battery cranked the engine a little but didnt have enough in it to turn over the engine. So of course I didnt have jumper cables and no one around me did either so I called roadside assistance. (they were at my car in literally 15 mins, so awesome ) They tested the battery and said all is well and that possibly its the alternator. He jumps the battery and the car starts right up. Upon driving it home, I get a bright red "inoperable" signal on my guage cluster display and the car wont rev more than 2 grand and wont go over 20mph. Limp mode???

So I dropped the car off at the dealer last night and thats where it resides this morning. Any ideas as to what the hell happened????? I really dont want to get stranded again...

Thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM

E350
Originally Posted by ferrariyellow44
So last night I had my car parked and turned it off, waiting for my son at the train station. After he gets in the car, the car wont start and the battery is dead. Literally didnt even have the lights/stereo on, nothing everything was powered off. The battery cranked the engine a little but didnt have enough in it to turn over the engine. So of course I didnt have jumper cables and no one around me did either so I called roadside assistance. (they were at my car in literally 15 mins, so awesome ) They tested the battery and said all is well and that possibly its the alternator. He jumps the battery and the car starts right up. Upon driving it home, I get a bright red "inoperable" signal on my guage cluster display and the car wont rev more than 2 grand and wont go over 20mph. Limp mode???

So I dropped the car off at the dealer last night and thats where it resides this morning. Any ideas as to what the hell happened????? I really dont want to get stranded again...

Thanks guys!
I'm guessing the engine control unit (ECU). Had this problem on my E350 last year.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM

2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Oh ok, that would make sense. Never had anything this dramatic happen...quite scary!

Originally Posted by BenzE350
I'm guessing the engine control unit (ECU). Had this problem on my E350 last year.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM

2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Turns out when the battery died, the drive by wire throttle needed to be reset. When power is taken from the car, on occasion, the throttle body needs to be re-programmed or it will only open 10% hence the "inoperable" message...still dont know why the battery died???
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
wow that is strange! glad you got it sorted out
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Yeah but they still have no idea why the battery died in the first place...so yeah it could easily happen again and the drive by wire will need to be re-programmed, again. Im just going to have them replace the battery, maybe its got a bad cell or something. Only 2 years old though!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Batteries can go bad. I recently replaced the battery on my motorcycle. It went dead about a week later. If they get dropped during shipping, this can dislodge and/or break the internals of the battery. In many modern cars, when the battery loses charge, many of the systems can reset or go into a "limp-home" mode. Hopefully, your ordeal is behind you now.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
The Best or Nothing
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
So can the owner reset the throttle or do you have to take it to the dealer?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Which Vehicle

Thanks guys!
Which of your many cars did this?

DHG
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
Turns out when the battery died, the drive by wire throttle needed to be reset. When power is taken from the car, on occasion, the throttle body needs to be re-programmed or it will only open 10% hence the "inoperable" message...still dont know why the battery died???
I don't understand why MB designs parts like this. Programming information should be stored in non volatile memory.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Not on All Models

Originally Posted by telemakhos
I don't understand why MB designs parts like this. Programming information should be stored in non volatile memory.
When I was down at the Lake this summer (Minaki Ontario - North of Kenora) I mistakenly left
my parking lights on. More than 48 hours later, my big (the rear) battery was so dead that the
doors would not unlock when I hit the key button on my key fob.

That battery was so dead that even with a jumper, it would not turn over and we had
to use the alternator via the jumpers to charge my battery for a short
while and then, and only then would it turn over and start.

The only things that had to be reprogrammed I did myself such as the tilting mirror on the passenger side
and the tilting steering wheel. My drive by wire was fine, and so were all
my radio stations settings.

BTW, I have a CDI and the battery was so discharged, that the dash
lights would not even glow let alone the glow plugs.

Learned my lesson to pay attention to the notice in the dash that states 'Close the Sunroof' or 'Your lights are on.'
Would have saved me a lot of trouble. I was more than 22 miles (35 kilometers) from Kenora and AAA service.

If it had not been for the nice person who runs that small lakeside business there at Gunn Lake, I would have had a long long wait!

So which models have to be taken back to the dealer to have the Command System reprogrammed when the battery is completely discharged?

DHG

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 10-16-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by El Cid
The Best or Nothing
LOL I guess the OP's 212 is nothing haha