E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E Wagon roof rack?? Bike rail??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Question E Wagon roof rack?? Bike rail??

Hi,
I'm looking at some nearly new roof rack bars on CList but they are for MLs.
These are the two bars that go crossways, they clamp onto the OEM roof rack that runs front to back. The MB accessories then mount to these crossbars.

Anyone know if ML roof rack bars work for an E Wagon?? My E roof rack bars are about 40 1/4" apart at the inner edge.
FYI---anyone with official MB E Wagon roof rack bars for sale??

MB makes a bike rail for carrying one bike. For those that has this, how would you rate it?

MB also makes a top cargo box, low profile aero box for extra loads. Comments on how it works?
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
i remember hype had the cargo box. not sure if he still has it though .
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM

93 300CE Cabriolet, 13 E350 Sport Wagon
I found something on Thule website

Hey there,
I'll be in the same boat with my wagon coming soon and I will need to use the rack in a few months so I thought I would do some searching.

Thule seems to have a system that may work, but I have no confirmation from them yet.

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/defaul...n-US&Market=US

Looks like 10 total parts. There are some limitations per the description.
  • 19. The Railing carrier is recommended for use on factory racks with raised rails that run parallel to the sides of the vehicle (front to rear). Check your Owners Manual or with the manufacturer for the approved load rating. Do not exceed the recommended weig
  • 36.All bike carriers, excluding 513 and 594XT will require the use of Xadapters when used on Aeroblade & Rapid Aero Bars: 516,517,518,594 : XADAPT9(XT) / 598: XADAPT8 / 599XTR: XADAPT2
  • 60. Due to rack placement and configurations, the 887/XT Slipstream may hinder the ability to open the rear hatch completely.
  • This solution has a maximum weight limit of 165 lbs.
Here are the parts:
  • 450R Rapid Crossroad 4
  • ARB53 AeroBlade Load Bar Pair
  • 544 4-Pack Lock Cylinder
I attached a photo. I will be at my dealer this week so I'll ask them about factory systems, if available.

Best,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails E Wagon roof rack?? Bike rail??-450r_arb_fg_sized_468x329.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 PM

2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
Originally Posted by klobbr
Hey there,
I'll be in the same boat with my wagon coming soon and I will need to use the rack in a few months so I thought I would do some searching.

Thule seems to have a system that may work, but I have no confirmation from them yet.

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/defaul...n-US&Market=US

Looks like 10 total parts. There are some limitations per the description.

I attached a photo. I will be at my dealer this week so I'll ask them about factory systems, if available.

Best,
Bob
Thanks, good info.
I already have the MB Cycle Rail (single rail for one bike) that mounts to the MB roof cross rails (into the recessed channel in the rail).
Can you see if MB accessories (cargo box, bike rail) work with Thule bars? Thanks.

Even the MB website shows clearly wrong rack rails for wagon--it shows the sedan bars with the feet on each end.....
Dealers see so few wagons that they are not familiar with them.
It appears the ML had different part # for roof rails but will ML cross rails work on E Wagon??? I find used ML bars on CraigsList but not sure if they'll work.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

S213 E63 Wagon
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...s_brochure.pdf

Page 14/15 mentions the wagon but does not show a picture (though there is a picture insert in the UK version of the brochure). Direct fit to the roof rais as you would expect.