E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

adding Blutec fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
adding Blutec fluid

I guess there are a number of ways to refill the blutec fluid. Of course the easiest and most expensive is to take it to your dealer who will fill it at mercedes prices. Another option is to go to a truck stop and use their blutec fluid pump. I decided that I wanted to know what was going in, so I'd do it myself which is the third option....and I did it in a relatively idiot proof manner given that I know myself.

I went to my local VW dealer and purchased one 1/2 gallon bottle of fluid with the fitting/adapter for about $14....and I purchased two 2 1/2 gallon bulk bottles for about $8 a piece. The challenge for me was that the bulk bottles don't pour slowly or without dripping...so I put off the job.

Yesterday with help from my son, we figured it out....we bought a 2 1/2 gal gas can with a spout that has an open/close knob ($14.95 at Home Depot) and we bought a funnel set for $3.95 (also home depot).

We connected the small bottle with the fitting to the car an emptied it (trivially easy). Cut a small hole in the bottom, carefully avoiding the small breather tube inside...just large enough for the spout on the gas can. We then poured the 2 1/2 gal (actually we did 1/2 at a time) bulk into the gas can using the funnel. One of us then held and poured the blutec fluid in the gas can into the hole we cut in the bottle and the other held the bottle down so that the liquid just went into the blutec tank.

Yes, we could have just poured into the tank with a funnel from the gas can (or without if we didn't care about spills), but I was concerned that if we overfilled it, we might have a mess to deal with. The way we did it, if we overfilled, it would have remained in the screw on bottle with the special filling rather than pouring into the well around the filler opening.

On reflection, I should have just gone to a truck stop....but fear of putting the wrong or dirty fluid in my MB stopped me. Since there is no gauge, I guess I'm good for another x miles....or until some warning message tells me to put in more fluid.

Last edited by ghstudio; 11-26-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
I did a similar method to you, but went to the Pilot station and pumped from the DEF pump into the 1/2 gallon bottle that I cut the bottom off of and used as a funnel.

Next time, I will buy a nice funnel with a narrow throat and the ridges on the sides that let the air escape, and just pour from the 2.5 gallon jugs. The 1/2 gallon funnel is very slow and lets the fluid bubble up and shoot out the air escape tube if you pour too quickly.

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...-def-pump.html
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Do you guys think pouring straight in from a funnel or the pump you will be able to see the level without overfilling?

My method was to use an empty MB bottle, cut off the locking portion of the thread and refilled the bottle. It was time consuming 1/2 gallon at a time, then the actual threads sheered off when tightening onto the tank. Very luckily nothing spilled! Perhaps I was tightening too tight or the bottle didn't hold up to being tightened on and off about 8 times.

I am considering going with the method of cutting a whole in the bottom of the bottle. I figure will end up with some residual in the 1/2 gallon bottle but not big deal.

The gas can with the stop/go is a great idea though!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
There are at least several easy...or comparatively easy...ways to refill your own DEF tank.I bought a 1/2 gallon bottle with the special spout,trimmed the crimp on that special spout so that it can be screwed on and off and made the bottle refillable from the cheap 2 1/2 gallon jugs.Once that is done about ten minutes and about $25 refills a 6 gallon tank.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by listerone
There are at least several easy...or comparatively easy...ways to refill your own DEF tank.I bought a 1/2 gallon bottle with the special spout,trimmed the crimp on that special spout so that it can be screwed on and off and made the bottle refillable from the cheap 2 1/2 gallon jugs.Once that is done about ten minutes and about $25 refills a 6 gallon tank.
Same thing I did...however somehow I managed to break the neck of the bottle when tightening it on during one of the fills... Perhaps I am the type of person who should just pay the dealer $250 for $25 in DEF...just kidding.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Even if you overfill the AdBlue tank, it will simply drain out the bottom of the vehicle. No worries.