E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Possible Auto Transmission Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2012 | 12:35 AM

e350
Possible Auto Transmission Issue?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2013 E350 4matic with about 600 miles. Any feedback to this possible issue will be appreciated. So if I'm driving normally and take my foot of the gas pedal allowing the car to slow down and then accelerate, sometimes the transmission doesn't want to downshift. It will accelerate in that same gear which causes the car to jerk a bit. Has anyone experience this?

Also, do you have to break-in these cars? I'm coming from an Acura.
Old 11-22-2012 | 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Back to the dealer, show them the issue.
Old 11-22-2012 | 09:09 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Nuru
Back to the dealer, show them the issue.
+1
Old 11-22-2012 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Welcome, I didn't like or that jerk doesn't sound good to me either . Are you sure it is jerking ? Try this next time push the gas pedal further down and see if it will act same and also try S mode
Of course, that doesn't rule out dealership visit , just give it a try and see how it will act

I asked prior to taking delivery of my car and they said there was no break in period but I remember manual states about it , so it's kinda excruciating but 1600 km / 1000 miles be careful but that doesn't mean you should baby your car just avoid over revving up your car and avoid kick downs and drive at various speeds
Old 11-22-2012 | 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BenzV12
Welcome, I didn't like or that jerk doesn't sound good to me either . Are you sure it is jerking ? Try this next time push the gas pedal further down and see if it will act same and also try S mode
Of course, that doesn't rule out dealership visit , just give it a try and see how it will act

I asked prior to taking delivery of my car and they said there was no break in period but I remember manual states about it , so it's kinda excruciating but 1600 km / 1000 miles be careful but that doesn't mean you should baby your car just avoid over revving up your car and avoid kick downs and drive at various speeds

So the dealer told you there is no break-in period? Do they or MB now run the engines about 20 hours straight for the customers before delivery? I think not.

Any car as new needs a break-in period.

Now, an interesting question is if MB would have programmed it to limit down shifts during this period? Would they be so smart? That should be quite easy to do with modern computer controlled cars.

Another thing here to try is the TCU reset. It really works in my car but mine is a 2010 model though.

Below instructions for it from another thread but I do it as follows:

1. I remove the Start/Stop button to be able to use the key.

2. With the door closed I turn the key to position 2, i.e. ON but not starting the engine.

3. I floor the gas pedal and hold for 10 s.

4. I turn the key to position 1 and then release gas pedal.

5. I time 2 minutes and wait.

6. I turn the key to OFF and wait another 2 minutes timing it.

7. I remove the key.

8. I replace the Start/Stop button.

9. Done

Do not open the door while doing this!

This procedure really works in my car like it did in my previous 2011 E350. It clearly improves gas pedal responsiveness, which probably is due to more aggressive transmission behavior.

Here is the post from Jakpro1 with the instructions:

Holy Crap you guys.....sneaky ECU reset WORKS!!!
Figured what the hell, and gave it a shot per the instructions someone posted. I get her out and punch it from a start and it feels weird....a bit unstable. I am like great, I broke something, then I realize it is pulling like a friggin freight train and my a$$ is wiggling. I can't wait til the ECU sets me up this way....maybe better, that would smoke.

Anyway proceeded to do some launches and I can really tell a difference in shifts. Someone said it best....feels like the car had a tune up or something.

I COMMAND all of you to try this (well if you are not happy with your current setup). I just know now my car set me up wimpy due to long highway miles after driving back from Klee. Enjoy!!!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Old 11-22-2012 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
My experience with modern MB's is that the transmission learns how you drive and will adapt shifting to your style. Give the car time, at least for the entire break in period. If it then does not shift properly, the dealer can reprogram the software. This not a big issue.
Old 11-22-2012 | 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
So, went to do the TCM reset today. This time did not remove Start button.

1. With foot off press Start button twice. This sets it to key position 2.

2. Floor gas pedal for 10 seconds.

3. Press Start/Stop once. This turns it OFF.

4. Release gas pedal and wait two minutes.

5. Then I opened the door.

Works WONDERS.
Old 11-23-2012 | 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
My new E550 does not exhibit this behavior with 450 miles on the clock. The transmission learns your driving style and adapts. The "E" program also attempts to keep the transmission in a high gear. Try using a double depression on the accelerator which allow the program to downshift without requiring excessive RPMs. The break-in period on these vehicles is 1000 miles.
Old 11-23-2012 | 05:13 PM

Thank for sharing the TCU rest instructions.
Old 11-28-2012 | 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
You should have the dealer inspect this issue, however, it sounds to me that you are experiencing the lock-up torque converter. When cold and especiallwhen new, the transmission will hold gears and be reluctant to shift until it reaches full operating temperature. In the Bluetecs, this can manifest itself as "engine braking" . I do not think you have any issues at all, but, you will feel better this hearing from a dealer.