Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Nothing is free

Try this site.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/
It is the auto section of Consumer Guide (NOT Consumer Reports), which also publishes a magazine. Main link is howstuffworks.com since they evaluate and report of lots of things.
They have some pretty extensive evaluations and reports and I found their findings pretty much matched mine.
BTW, the scores may appear low, but you need to check out chart of where car places compared to similar cars. Nobody scores at the very top.
Might be wrong, but I understand Bluetech does NOT have a spare. You get a can of fix-a-flat instead, which does nothing for sidewall punctures. Also, you (or dealer) has to add Blue fluid every year to the tank in the trunk where the spare is on other models.
Nothing is free. Neither BMW nor its dealers is going to lose money offering "free" maintenance. You either pay for it in purchase price of vehicle or they up rates on those paying for service to cover "free" for others.
When I was shopping I found that MB actual prices were much better than competitors. Lexus was the worst, which is ironic because I get great pricing and service from the Toyota dealers that I use for other vehicles.
From what I have seen and my experiences, today's MB's are not DIY vehicles, even for minor things. Example: see the thread on this site for changing the cabin filter or the one for resetting the service reminder.
Be aware that the MB Operator's Manuals have many statements to effect that if service is not performed to same standards as an MB service center (dealership), warranty may be voided.
It may be the law that warranty cannot be voided if someone takes car to an independent or DIY, but it provides MBUSA with basis to challenge something as being warranty covered. Then you have a fight on your hands. For me, I used dealerships for all my cars, MB, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. Considered slight extra cost as being comparable to an insurance policy.
Good luck - and take your time. Study all facets and then you will be happy whatever decision you make.

Last edited by El Cid; 01-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
I recommend the P2 package above all and focus on the safety aspects of the E350. My 2010 P2 has all of the "goodies", but my most loved feature is the pre-safe braking with the distronic cruise control. Driving along and having the car keep a safe distance from the car in front is fantastic on both long and short road trips AND the pre-safe braking saved me from accident by hitting the brakes fast than I could when an ID10T jack-knifed a few cars in front of me. We stopped in time.

My wife also tries to get to the E350 before her Lexus RX450h in the mornings too...

I would look around the east coast for a P2 CPO or just order a 2014 from Germany and pocket the 7%+ discounts they're now offering on EU deliveries.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4 Matic
Bad MB sales crew for me...

Originally Posted by ddeliber
I hate run flats too!

Sounds like a crappy dealer that you have, In January to boot wow! For me, the BMW guys were a little sleazier than MB, but they both bent over backwards for me when I was there (in my jeans and a normal pullover shirt).

I am curious about 2013 production as well, I think April is for European availability, we probably wont see them until say June/July.
My wife and I just purchased a new E350 and our salesman initially seemed really good, however, after the transaction we learned that he and the dealership are less than trustworthy. Needless to say I was (and still am) shocked.

The salesman assured me that the car we were looking at had the bi-zenon headlights... that it had the soft closing door assist (cant even find that one listed for E class), the distonic cruise control... and more. Turns out that none of it was true. The car was locked and in an area that we could not really check it our prior to signing (I know... stupid decision on our part, but I thought a MB dealership would behave honestly). We were the last people in the dealership, they were locking the doors, and we were being hurried out the door.

The next day when I proceeded to check out the car and "test" the new blind spot and lane departure systems, as well as the headlights I learned the unfortunate truth... I had been sold a line of crap.

I went back into the dealership the following day to speak with the salesman and his response was "there's nothing we can do about it now"! Typical used car salesman response. Upon escalating to the GM of sales... nothing. I have called twice and left messages and he will not call me back. Oh well, the survey will be arriving soon, and I know how important they are to the dealership. I dont think they will like my response, but it will be fair and accurate.

I may push this to MB USA just to let them know the tactics being employed by their new dealership (only two months). I really doubt there is anything they can do, but it may help future customers if I at least bring it to their attention. Never hurts to try... right.

HOWEVER, we absolutely love our new E350

Would have loved to have had all of the features we were promised, but the car itself is incredible. New mercedes customers for sure, but will start using another dealership for all future MB needs.

PS. Yes, I know it was our mistake to purchase without doing prior homework... and it wont happen again. But the wife was head over heals gaga over the car and I caved... Oops.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by MCMAC
My wife and I just purchased a new E350 and our salesman initially seemed really good, however, after the transaction we learned that he and the dealership are less than trustworthy. Needless to say I was (and still am) shocked.

The salesman assured me that the car we were looking at had the bi-zenon headlights... that it had the soft closing door assist (cant even find that one listed for E class), the distonic cruise control... and more. Turns out that none of it was true. The car was locked and in an area that we could not really check it our prior to signing (I know... stupid decision on our part, but I thought a MB dealership would behave honestly). We were the last people in the dealership, they were locking the doors, and we were being hurried out the door.

The next day when I proceeded to check out the car and "test" the new blind spot and lane departure systems, as well as the headlights I learned the unfortunate truth... I had been sold a line of crap.

I went back into the dealership the following day to speak with the salesman and his response was "there's nothing we can do about it now"! Typical used car salesman response. Upon escalating to the GM of sales... nothing. I have called twice and left messages and he will not call me back. Oh well, the survey will be arriving soon, and I know how important they are to the dealership. I dont think they will like my response, but it will be fair and accurate.

I may push this to MB USA just to let them know the tactics being employed by their new dealership (only two months). I really doubt there is anything they can do, but it may help future customers if I at least bring it to their attention. Never hurts to try... right.

Would have loved to have had all of the features we were promised, but the car itself is incredible. New mercedes customers for sure, but will start using another dealership for all future MB needs.

PS. Yes, I know it was our mistake to purchase without doing prior homework... and it wont happen again. But the wife was head over heals gaga over the car and I caved... Oops.
Wow, that really sucks! I wouldn't think that would happen at an MB dealership. Didn't you get to see the window sticker? I mean distronic is a pretty expensive option (part of the drivers assist package).

Regardless, you got a brand new (hopefully) Mercedes E350. Try not to let your experience at the dealership ruin your new driving experience and enjoy the car!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing

Did you actually pay for all that (optional) "staff" that was supposed to be installed on that car, but was not? If so - then there's a big problem, if not - then "there's nothing they can do" after the fact. Did you not see car's sticker or signed order/sale agreement listing all options and total price? I must be missing something as above does not add up for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM

2012 E350 4 Matic
Wow, that really sucks! I wouldn't think that would happen at an MB dealership. Didn't you get to see the window sticker? I mean distronic is a pretty expensive option (part of the drivers assist package).

Regardless, you got a brand new (hopefully) Mercedes E350. Try not to let your experience at the dealership ruin your new driving experience and enjoy the car!
The window sticker was removed and laying in the middle of the dash, so it was difficult to lean over the car and read everything... so while technically we could see it, it wasn't very easy to read. As far as the distonic cruise feature being expensive... that was the way he told us that the MB cruise controls worked. In other words he never let us know that they come as as standard and distonic is an option. He did the same thing with the lane departure and blind spot systems... he only described the active systems and neglected to let us know that there are two distinct systems, with one being quite a bit more expensive. Anyway, I could have lived with that as just a poor job of being clear with his customers, but what really got me was him specifically telling me the car came with the zenon lights. I asked him twice prior to signing and both times he said it did... thats when I started putting two and two together. No lights, no soft closing doors (told us that was disabled in the system software, but could be turned on via the dash controls), and the omission of sharing the fact that there are multiple options for several features including Cruise, blind spot, lane change, etc.

Again, in the long run we should have done our homework, but in my book I don't think in a higher end car dealership that I (or anyone) should have to worry about the sales staff intentionally misleading potential buyers. Just disappointing to realize that some things never change, even in a Mercedes dealership.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 PM

2012 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Did you actually pay for all that (optional) "staff" that was supposed to be installed on that car, but was not? If so - then there's a big problem, if not - then "there's nothing they can do" after the fact. Did you not see car's sticker or signed order/sale agreement listing all options and total price? I must be missing something as above does not add up for me.
In short, no, we didn't pay for any of the features and or options that were missing.
There was no list of options with the sales agreement (but the window sticker listing the options was in the car upon departure), so there was nothing to double check at that point in time.

My biggest gripe was the headlight issue as this is the one thing I asked him to double check before us going in to sign... and he confirmed with a yes. At the time I asked for the double check, the car had been removed for a quick detail. In my mind, once he confirmed with a yes, then they should live up to the commitment made by their representative.

Again, my complaint is not that I was charged for something I didn't receive, it is that I was led to believe it had features that it did not. The omission of information relating to the two different cruise controls systems, two different lane departure systems, etc. were simply disappointing. The way he described them was a big part in my wife wanting to go with the MB over the BMW line, so in that sense we did not get what we "thought" we were paying for.

Again, I want to state again that we shouldn't have been so trusting and will not be the next time around.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 PM

Ok, so at least you paid for what you got. Personally I would really give mbusa a call to complain in addition to writing the review/survey as you mentioned you plan to. You may even get something out of it (an extended warranty would be nice).

This could be fun, make a game of it - what would you say to MB .... I'd use phrases like "what kind of business are you running" (I know they don't run the dealerships but it sounds good, and maybe something like "this is what I would expect if I went to buy a Chevy" ooo, how about "Trust is important to me, how can I continue doing business with a brand (good to get that word in there) that I simply don't trust anymore".

I agree though, totally unacceptable.

But again, you have an awesome car, better than the BMWs IMO (I shopped the two and thought that I wanted a BMW until I drove the E350). I know it is hard, but don't let this frustration take away from what you have. Enjoy the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM

2012 E350 4 Matic
Ok, so at least you paid for what you got. Personally I would really give mbusa a call to complain in addition to writing the review/survey as you mentioned you plan to. You may even get something out of it (an extended warranty would be nice).

This could be fun, make a game of it - what would you say to MB .... I'd use phrases like "what kind of business are you running" (I know they don't run the dealerships but it sounds good, and maybe something like "this is what I would expect if I went to buy a Chevy" ooo, how about "Trust is important to me, how can I continue doing business with a brand (good to get that word in there) that I simply don't trust anymore".

I agree though, totally unacceptable.

But again, you have an awesome car, better than the BMWs IMO (I shopped the two and thought that I wanted a BMW until I drove the E350). I know it is hard, but don't let this frustration take away from what you have. Enjoy the car.

Definitely won't let the buying experience skew my opinion of the car! So far we absolutely love it.

I am going to give the GM one last opportunity to respond, but I'm not holding my breath. I really hate to be a complainer but in this case I know its the correct thing to do.

Thanks for the your input. I'll try to remember to post the responses I receive. I hope they are positive!

Have a great evening.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
For those who are wondering about the 2013 production line, according to my dealer they already stopped it to prepare for the 2014. Not 100% sure if that is true or not.

Also yes, you don't need to upgrade to full bi xenon. You can just buy some HID bulbs and do it your self really. Upgrading the parking lights will be easy as pie AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A P1 CAR. I say this because I tried upgrading my parking lights for my P2 car and the front light housing is totally different than P1 because of the bi-xenons and infrared sensor(which I don't even have). This made it impossible for me to change out the parking lights(took me 4 hours to figure out).

But anyways, in short, parking lights change will take you literally 2 minutes. As for the main headlights you probably need to take off the front two wheels to install them. Not that hard, but if you want you can always take it to a shop and get it done for very cheap.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Definitely won't let the buying experience skew my opinion of the car! So far we absolutely love it.

I am going to give the GM one last opportunity to respond, but I'm not holding my breath. I really hate to be a complainer but in this case I know its the correct thing to do.

Thanks for the your input. I'll try to remember to post the responses I receive. I hope they are positive!

Have a great evening.
kudos to your attitude towards this uncommon issue. is the gm the highest you can go at that dealer? how about the owner/president? i guess i lucked out one time when i called the gm of the bmw dealer and i received a call back from the general sales mgr w/i a minute. problem solved. you might want to call the receptionist before calling the gm direct and make sure he/she is working and was not on vacation in the last few days. if he/she has been working but never return your call, leave him/her a final msg and tell him/her you'll contact mbusa directly if you don't hear from him/her w/i an hour. i'm sure you'll get a call back in seconds. good luck and keep us posted .
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 AM

E350 4-Matic with sptpkg
My experience with my 2010 E350 Sports Sedan

Originally Posted by pcsgrp
I can't believe how often the MB dealer is calling my house and not leaving a message. I guess they don't know about caller id! Still kicking around picking up the 2011 but I am getting the feeling in the long run, it might be better for me to get a new 2013 in a few months and get the exact car we want. I think I am going to go with either a p1 or p2. I know it a going to be a larger nut but at least I get a brand new car with a full warantee and I know how it is being driven and when you consider I usually keep my cars for 7 or 8 years and I was going to spend about 30k on a new car for my wife anyway, the difference between buying pre-owned and new is only about 2k per year. I am waiting for a friend who knows someone who is a MB expert mechanic to let me know if there are any specific generic problems with the e350 that I should know about. .
I'm a new member and thought I would share my recent experience with my 2010 E350 Sports Sedan - I have owned it new from Oct 2010 - I haven't turned 12,000 miles yet. Only the dealer has serviced this car. My car spent the last week at the dealers getting two new struts and other issues with the front end. This car has never been abused if anything under used. Dealer says this was a problem with the E350 in 2010. Anyways, just got the car back and the ride is a bit softer other than the bottoming out feeling I had - but the road noise coming from the Continental ContiProSports on this car is unbearing. If you are looking for a comfortable, quiet ride, stay away from the Mercedes Benz products - it isn't there unless you find a tire replacement for the oem tires they put on the cars.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 4-Matic, GLE350, Harley Davidson Electra Glide
After going back and forth, looking at other cars and talking to friends who have them I decided that with the deals they are giving right now, I am going to pull the plug on the slightly used one and get a new 2013. I guess having the 2014's come out in april might work in my favor. The one I am looking at is a e350 sport with the p1 package and some stupid little non electrical options such as a spoiler and a wood steering wheel. Haven't come to a final price as of yet but expect to do that tomorrow. Like you I don't like the contis my wife's car had them and they were noisy and not all that good in the rain. Sounds like they only come with them so I am a little stuck. I have the pilot sport a/s in the same 18" size on my car and they are unreal tires but for winter I use artic ice x2's. I have a set of them in the 215-60-17 which if I get rims that fit the MB, should fit in the wheel openings. I think with the sport, I am not going to get the boat like ride which is just fine wiht me. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a very expensive mistake.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM

2011 E350, 2004 911
After going back and forth, looking at other cars and talking to friends who have them I decided that with the deals they are giving right now, I am going to pull the plug on the slightly used one and get a new 2013. I guess having the 2014's come out in april might work in my favor. The one I am looking at is a e350 sport with the p1 package and some stupid little non electrical options such as a spoiler and a wood steering wheel. Haven't come to a final price as of yet but expect to do that tomorrow. Like you I don't like the contis my wife's car had them and they were noisy and not all that good in the rain. Sounds like they only come with them so I am a little stuck. I have the pilot sport a/s in the same 18" size on my car and they are unreal tires but for winter I use artic ice x2's. I have a set of them in the 215-60-17 which if I get rims that fit the MB, should fit in the wheel openings. I think with the sport, I am not going to get the boat like ride which is just fine wiht me. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a very expensive mistake.
Just a heads up, but the 'P2' offers the better headlights. There have been more than a few discussions around the Bi-xeons and they provide much better visibility at night. That was the best choice I made on mine.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Good stuff, good luck, let us know how everything goes, and once you get her, post some pics!

Just so you know, since you are buying new you can negotiate tires (I'd recommend you do this after you agree on a price). I have heard plenty of people that said I really don't like the conti's and they put difft tires on for them no-charge.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sport Model

Originally Posted by Bill Wagner
I'm a new member and thought I would share my recent experience with my 2010 E350 Sports Sedan - I have owned it new from Oct 2010 - I haven't turned 12,000 miles yet. Only the dealer has serviced this car. My car spent the last week at the dealers getting two new struts and other issues with the front end. This car has never been abused if anything under used. Dealer says this was a problem with the E350 in 2010. Anyways, just got the car back and the ride is a bit softer other than the bottoming out feeling I had - but the road noise coming from the Continental ContiProSports on this car is unbearing. If you are looking for a comfortable, quiet ride, stay away from the Mercedes Benz products - it isn't there unless you find a tire replacement for the oem tires they put on the cars.
The ride in the Sport is less comfortable than in the Luxury version. Related to sports suspension, 18" wheels, low profile tires, etc. on the Sport version.
So, if anyone wants a more comfortable ride, definitely need to test out the Luxury version of the E class.
However, what did dealer mean by "a problem with the E350 in 2010?" I actually questioned the ride in my car and the dealer checked out the suspension. No problem and had correct components on it as far as they could tell. They do not have access to actual parts numbers used per technician.
Was this done as warranty work? Is there a campaign or TSB nmumber? Very interested because I would like to have mine checked out if there is something going on.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would find out the name of the owner of the dealership and see him/her. Go stand in GM's door until he talks to you. There is usually a sales manager and he/she works for the General Manager.
BTW, you will get very little satisfaction from MBUSA in my experience. When I called with a complaint, I was told that the purchase is a transaction between the dealer and me, not between MBUSA, DAG and me. I did get to talk to a supervisor and they set up an appointment with the dealership to examine the car while I observed and test it. No change in result, but felt a little better.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
You are accepting blame for having been screwed. That is absolutely wrong. The salesman lied to you and you should be given a car with the options that you were told it had.

It's like going into a restaurant and ordering a filet mignon. The waiter then serves you round steak. You confront him and he says there is nothing I can do, this is what the cook gave me.

It's a matter of principal to get what you were told you were getting. I would talk to the dealer principal and if he doesn't do anything I would then take it to MBUSA. They will not take this lightly. They expect their dealers to be honest and professional. This is not some fly by night used car lot.

Furthermore, that salesman should be fired. He is a thief and a fraudster. You were defrauded, plain and simple.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the input..............I would have liked to get a p2 but they don't have any in their inventory and would have to go to another dealer to get it. I would assume that would have a major impact on my final price since I searched inventories at other dealers within resonable driving distance and there are no p2's to be had. As I mentioned, not all that thrilled about the lights but I the lights on the one last night was not all that bad and it is something I can live with. Frankly, the split rear seat is a deal breaker for us because of our needs to be able to hump around our bikes. The tires....I am going to get ripped for this statement, but I have never had a new car that had outstanding OEM tires. I would like them to change them to the big "M's" but don't want the P-Zeros I have seen on some cars. My last BMW came with german uniroyal tires that I thought were going to be crap but they turned out to be outstanding tires
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 AM

2012 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by El Cid
I would find out the name of the owner of the dealership and see him/her. Go stand in GM's door until he talks to you. There is usually a sales manager and he/she works for the General Manager.
BTW, you will get very little satisfaction from MBUSA in my experience. When I called with a complaint, I was told that the purchase is a transaction between the dealer and me, not between MBUSA, DAG and me. I did get to talk to a supervisor and they set up an appointment with the dealership to examine the car while I observed and test it. No change in result, but felt a little better.
I was finally able to speak with the GM of sales, he assured me that he would make things right but so far no real action. What he did was have the same salesman call me the next day... his suggestion was for me to wait about a year and come back and they would make it right on one of the new 2014's. Interesting response. I plan to do a little research to find out who the owner is and reach out to them. It is pretty obvious that I'm being ignored in hopes that I will just go away. For a second there I thought the GM might actually want to get involved and do the right thing. It will be a week tomorrow so it is a fair amount of time prior to escalating again.

Thanks for everyones input.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
Thanks for all the input..............I would have liked to get a p2 but they don't have any in their inventory and would have to go to another dealer to get it. I would assume that would have a major impact on my final price since I searched inventories at other dealers within resonable driving distance and there are no p2's to be had....
About the p2 inventory, the final price is really on the dealer. I was buying a E350 with a friend just last month and the dealer got the car from another dealer and still gave a 9k discount off. My car was also from another dealer and he still gave a much better discount than the other dealers that I've talked to. I'm sure it is up to the dealer's discretion whether they still want to make the money even having to trade cars with another dealer.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
In short, no, we didn't pay for any of the features and or options that were missing.
There was no list of options with the sales agreement (but the window sticker listing the options was in the car upon departure), so there was nothing to double check at that point in time.
This doesn't make sense. By law you have to receive a new car bill of sale that details the base vehicle MSRP, chargeable options, etc. Did you buy used?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by alanme123
About the p2 inventory, the final price is really on the dealer. I was buying a E350 with a friend just last month and the dealer got the car from another dealer and still gave a 9k discount off. My car was also from another dealer and he still gave a much better discount than the other dealers that I've talked to. I'm sure it is up to the dealer's discretion whether they still want to make the money even having to trade cars with another dealer.
I received a call from the dealer this morning asking if I was going to come up. We had a discussion on price and of course, I got the need to see the manager. I am looking to get around 8k off the list of a $60.4k car. What I don't like is that it is a sport with the lower profile tires and the ground clearance is a little lower then the regular one. I wouldn't have a problem with that but my other half seems to find every pothole and drive right into it. Those 40 profile tires concern me. I have 45's on my car without issue but I am worried
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Need to test Luxury version

I received a call from the dealer this morning asking if I was going to come up. We had a discussion on price and of course, I got the need to see the manager. I am looking to get around 8k off the list of a $60.4k car. What I don't like is that it is a sport with the lower profile tires and the ground clearance is a little lower then the regular one. I wouldn't have a problem with that but my other half seems to find every pothole and drive right into it. Those 40 profile tires concern me. I have 45's on my car without issue but I am worried
You definitely need to test drive the Luxury version. Rides more comfortably and has higher ground clearance. I have a luxury and it clears every sidewalk or parking block I have encountered, so it has plenty of clearance without being too high.
When I was shopping, the sales rep borrowed a Luxury E350 from a customer so I could compare it to the Sport. Understanding was, no Luxury for testing, no purchase.
Had to order one, but got as good a deal as if I had purchased a car off the lot. Only took six weeks to get here.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 PM

It is not just the tires, the sports come with 18" wheels (as opposed to 17" on the luxuries). You can always get them to swap them out, probably at with a slight discount in price for the wheels. It also won't hurt to ask them to see if they can find one with the P2 option that you indicated you wanted. Maybe they won't negotiate as much, but you'll never know unless you ask.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E350 4matic - wanting to purchase