E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Officially farewell W212, Hello F10 (new pics)....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A

On another note, I had a little taste of some potential "BMW problems" tonight.

We were driving to a belated VDay destination, and all of a sudden I hear a "pop" and my interior chime comes on as well as the interior lights. I thought I ran over something or my trunk popped open.... turns out my rear driver side door popped open.... on the freeway at like 75 MPH. It didn't actually swing open, it just unlatched from the full latch position. Very odd as I closed that same door earlier in the day and it was obviously shut, perhaps I didn't push it hard enough but still is no excuse for it to pop open when it was in fact in a fully latched position.

I hope this car doesn't remind me why BMW in all its successful might to impress me so thoroughly, can be a temperamental date itself.
This happened to a friend of mine's F10. He has the soft close doors and they re-programmed the software. But it happened again. You should take the car in and have it checked. It seems to be relatively common with BMWs for some reason: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...ient=firefox-a

And don't let your dealer tell you it's user error: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740979
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by 220S
This happened to a friend of mine's F10. He has the soft close doors and they re-programmed the software. But it happened again. You should take the car in and have it checked. It seems to be relatively common with BMWs for some reason: https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...ient=firefox-a

And don't let your dealer tell you it's user error: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740979
Thanks. I'll look into that. Yeah on BFest lots of guys seem to have had that happen with their BMW's, oddly just about all of them said it happened once, when the cars were new.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
I haven't heard the B&O actually.
i kind of remember i read it from at least couple magazines saying they'll pass on this option as the stock hk system sounds better than the b&o.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I have hear a B&O system in an Audi A8 and I think it is the best sounding factory system I have ever heard. That said, it may not sound as good in the BMW. Interestingly, I have noticed that the HK system in my S is significantly better sounding than the HK system that was in my E. The only difference (on paper) is that the woofers in the S's front doors are slightly larger, and the center channel dash speaker has an additional tweeter. I would not have expected such a dramatic difference in sound quality from the HK system between models.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I have hear a B&O system in an Audi A8 and I think it is the best sounding factory system I have ever heard. That said, it may not sound as good in the BMW. Interestingly, I have noticed that the HK system in my S is significantly better sounding than the HK system that was in my E. The only difference (on paper) is that the woofers in the S's front doors are slightly larger, and the center channel dash speaker has an additional tweeter. I would not have expected such a dramatic difference in sound quality from the HK system between models.
They use different tuning parameters based on the targeted S buying audience preferences and many other variables. My understanding is these system have pro audio control but it's not at the drivers hands but Harman can tune each car as needed. Our taste in sound is as subjective as our taste in food, so the same dish won't be liked by everyone. In my case I added some of my own seasonings. I've been thinking about contacting Harmon to get more of the inside scoop on these systems. Be nice to have a way of changing the tuning parameters of the system to meet personal preferences. There is a guy on DIYMA that is from the Harmon car audio division, maybe he would have some insight.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My dealer just added Acura to their line up (Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Jaguar.) The other day my salesperson took me to lunch in a new demo Acura TL. The sound system really surprised me. It's quite good (and plays DVD-A.) Later I looked it up and it's designed by Elliot Scheiner (http://www.panasonic.com/els_surround/Elliot.asp) and made by Panasonic. A few years ago, Edmunds rated it the highest of all the high end stock systems available at the time (including B&O, Bose, and B&W, etc..) http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...sound-off.html

Anyway, nice quality sound. And it's standard on the TL. The car itself was a decent ride. Too bad it's fugly.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah I rode in a new TL a little while ago. Drives great, perhaps felt more comfortable than my then-W212 in that kind of cushy/non-teutonic Japanese-Car way.

It seems to be an exceptional appliance, the TL, but yeah, too bad it's hideous. Acura really needs to drop whatever the hell it is they're trying to do with their design language and just go back to making nice and clean Japanese cars.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
well, let's hope the new rlx will do a better job:

http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#1
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The problem is the RLX looks so insubstantial and generic, yet not even cohesive necessarily. It could have a Lexus or Hyundai or "enter any Midsize Generic Asian or even American Sedan" badge on it and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Definitely wasn't impressed by it at the Auto Show.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah I rode in a new TL a little while ago. Drives great, perhaps felt more comfortable than my then-W212 in that kind of cushy/non-teutonic Japanese-Car way.

It seems to be an exceptional appliance, the TL, but yeah, too bad it's hideous. Acura really needs to drop whatever the hell it is they're trying to do with their design language and just go back to making nice and clean Japanese cars.
The one I was in (and also got to drive) was the 3.7 liter V-6 VTEC (305 hp) with the SH-AWD. It wasn't cushy (or floaty) at all. In fact it was pretty precise and handled well. A lot better than the 2009 W211 E350 I had for a short time. And better than my W211 E63. It's comfortable but sporty at the same time. I think the RL is probably more cushy although I've never driven one. Plus the TL is available in manual transmission, too. It seems more than just an appliance car.

It was a pretty impressive car, actually. And with low maintenance and high reliability (and top ranked safety too with the new + rating.) Again, too bad it's ugly (interior is okay.)

What's become of the NSX concept? Will it ever be released? Honda was once a big name in motorsports, especially with Formula One.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
well, let's hope the new rlx will do a better job:

http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#1
haha! I feel sorry for car designers these days..........
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Other than their looks, I have always been amazed at Honda's inability to quell road noise. ALL Acuras and Hondas are just noisey to me. They handle great for FWD platform vehicles, and, have great electronics. The road noise is just a non-starter for me. Hopefully they have addressed this with the RLX. I doubt it though.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 525i
The ELS DVD-Audio system in the recent Acura TL Tech/Advance cars is the best car stereo I have EVER heard.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImInPA
Other than their looks, I have always been amazed at Honda's inability to quell road noise. ALL Acuras and Hondas are just noisey to me. They handle great for FWD platform vehicles, and, have great electronics. The road noise is just a non-starter for me. Hopefully they have addressed this with the RLX. I doubt it though.
Apparently yhey've made big changes with the new models. My salesperson said they are now as quiet as MB/BMW, etc.. And Honda/Acura is claiming the same with their new marketing. Apparently they heard the complaints and did something about it. The one I drove didn't seem noisy at all (I was on the freeway only for a few miles, however.) And the one I drove was AWD not FWD. The Acura SH-AWD is well received. The interior seemed a bit full of buttons but the electronics are easy to use and intuitive (and they work.) Fit and finish seemed quite good. And the sound system is exceptional. But it's still ugly.....

I'm almost tempted to get one to use just as an anonymous (and fugly) daily driver. They seem like a no-brainer kind of car; plenty of creature comforts, safety, and decent driving feel, yet with dirt cheap ownership costs and high reliability. And here I thought I was just getting a free lunch and a cruise with my salesperson, lol. I guess they're always in 'sales mode.'

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

My friend has the previous body style TL (the last nice TL they've ever made up to this point) and even that car is super comfy, feels solid and quiet, with nice leather to boot. It's black and he keeps it pristine!

The new one would make the worlds best DD.... just make sure you're never noticed in it or else your taste senses might get embarrassed.

It really does do everything right as an appliance, and give you more dynamics in terms of driving than you'd expect from an appliance. I almost feel like Honda/Acura stepped up the actual technicalities of the car so much because they knew the market hated its horrendous looks so much, that it needed something to carry it/keep it competitive.

Also, resale value on them I believe is very good, as I once looked into them as a beater when I needed one for frequent cross-State drives.

As for Honda's, they indeed have never been able to make a quiet car devoid of road noise. I drove a previous gen Civic long distance once.... seriously the worst car I've ever driven long distance simply due to harsh road dynamics, and an insanely loud cabin. I loved it around town though, zippy and just a great commuter.