Cabin filter....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Cabin filter....

I'm disappointed with the effectiveness of the cabin filter. My C320 cabin filter worked great and filtered out almost all odors. Is there a filter available that works better than the rest?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes E350 Luxury
Is yours a longer term observation or just recently with all the rain and temperatures rapidly changing from warm to cold in a week?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM

2002 MERCEDES BENZ C320
Do you have one or two filters ? I assume that you talking about the one that are in the cabin below the glove compartment near the Passenger knee ? or where is it located in your model ?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by rufmb
Is yours a longer term observation or just recently with all the rain and temperatures rapidly changing from warm to cold in a week?
I've only had the car a couple of weeks however I had the C for 12 years. The most noticeable odor is the catalytic exhaust emissions from other cars. Didn't notice them at all in the C when the filter was in use.....only when it was in bypass mode. This filter doesn't stop them at all.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
...The most noticeable odor is the catalytic exhaust emissions from other cars. ...This filter doesn't stop them at all.
I notice this too in my month old E350, hardly ever in my Honda, Nissan, old Audi A6 which I used for a decade.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by KHARBAT1
Do you have one or two filters ? I assume that you talking about the one that are in the cabin below the glove compartment near the Passenger knee ? or where is it located in your model ?
One filter below the glove box. The C had two filters....one for dust/pollen over the battery and a substantial carbon coated double one below the glove box. The pictures of the ones I've seen for the E look like the single filter that was over the battery....lightly carbon coated.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w212
I just ordered the Mann filter from amazon last week. I haven't tried to install it yet. My garage is cold and the floor keeps getting wet from tracking in snow and slush. I'll put it in soon, hopefully this weekend. I had big problems with nasty smell from the AC right after I got it last summer. Hope the new filter fixes it.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
One thing I really loved about my Hyundai Azera was the Automatic Air Quality filter. It was amazing how quickly it could sense smoke, exhaust fumes, etc. and automatically switch to recirculation and then switch back to normal when air cleared.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by El Cid
One thing I really loved about my Hyundai Azera was the Automatic Air Quality filter. It was amazing how quickly it could sense smoke, exhaust fumes, etc. and automatically switch to recirculation and then switch back to normal when air cleared.
Nissan started doing this in 2010 as well. Nice feature. I'm surprised MB hasn't picked up on it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid
That is wonderful! Wish the MB filter mech was as smart.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
I've only had the car a couple of weeks however I had the C for 12 years. The most noticeable odor is the catalytic exhaust emissions from other cars. Didn't notice them at all in the C when the filter was in use.....only when it was in bypass mode. This filter doesn't stop them at all.
Good observation - same experience here. Cat. odor does get through. Switching to Re-circulate mode eliminates it very quickly.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
... Switching to Re-circulate mode eliminates it very quickly.
True, but it's after the fact I just ordered a bulk roll of carbon impregnated filter medium to make my own. If it works I'll have enough material to outlast me I plan on taking the cage from a house furnace filter and cutting/bending it to fit inside a donor filter that I'll gut.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Pictures of my new filter. Three layers of 3/4" carbon mat. No smells have made it past it yet.
Attached Thumbnails Cabin filter....-filtr-003.jpg   Cabin filter....-filtr-005.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Brilliant. If I can't make one I may need to request one from you.
For a fee of course with core return
Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
Thanks for posting and nice work! I too am not happy with the lack of odour filtration compared with my previous E class that worked very well. Now off to order some carbon filter media...
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM

2002 MERCEDES BENZ C320
Those are expenssive , like $100 for the double one . where do you but the materials to make 10 of them and give them for the cost of shipping? hahahaha
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by rufmb
Brilliant. If I can't make one I may need to request one from you....For a fee of course with core return
Originally Posted by telemakhos
Thanks for posting and nice work! I too am not happy with the lack of odour filtration compared with my previous E class that worked very well. Now off to order some carbon filter media...
It wasn't easy and I don't need the money so I'm not interested in making more. Advice: Buy a filter that fits to use as the donor. I didn't and ended up making two The groove at the bottom wasn't wide enough on the NPA/cheapo filter. Make a cardboard pattern as the filter isn't symmetrical. I used the wire backing from stucco sheathing for the frame/exhaust side and glued it to the outer fiber pieces and extended it through the top and bottom plastic for more support. Fishing mono line for the intake side. Cutting out the folded filter material was the hardest part. I used an Exacto knife and it took forever. I cut the new filter material slightly over sized and it just fits in there snug with no glue. Easy to change out the media when it's time that way. www.filters-now.com part number FMRCBP48X80X.75 The smallest lot available will probably make12 sets if you triple it. Good luck if you decide to do it. I'm happy I did and it's sure worth it to me.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM

E350 BT
Pictures of my new filter. Three layers of 3/4" carbon mat. No smells have made it past it yet.
Creative! Nice!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 AM

Mercedes product
Nice mod! The standard cabin air filtration in the W212 is not up to par compared to Audi and especially BMW.

The system has to clean outside air coming in, as well as pass. compartment filtering. the offgassing of MB's sea of plastic (esp. w/ MB Tex) can be really rough.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Grau E350
Nice mod! The standard cabin air filtration in the W212 is not up to par compared to Audi and especially BMW.

The system has to clean outside air coming in, as well as pass. compartment filtering. the offgassing of MB's sea of plastic (esp. w/ MB Tex) can be really rough.
I have leather interior and mine seems to be fine. I did notice that when I recently was given a 2013 as a loaner car, the filter did not seem to be working very well. Could the leather vs MB Tex, be a significant contributing factor?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Nuru
I have leather interior and mine seems to be fine. I did notice that when I recently was given a 2013 as a loaner car, the filter did not seem to be working very well. Could the leather vs MB Tex, be a significant contributing factor?
No. What I'm referring to is the outside odors that enter the cabin as you are driving. Like....catalytic converters, dairy farms, chemical plants, etc. I have leather as well and the out gassing of the plastics has run its' course. Some people aren't bothered by the smells and it's transient so not a constant irritant but just another "feature" that I miss. But not anymore It seems to be an odd/another cost cutting move by MB.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
No. What I'm referring to is the outside odors that enter the cabin as you are driving. Like....catalytic converters, dairy farms, chemical plants, etc. I have leather as well and the out gassing of the plastics has run its' course. Some people aren't bothered by the smells and it's transient so not a constant irritant but just another "feature" that I miss. But not anymore It seems to be an odd/another cost cutting move by MB.
Yes I was aware of the outside odor perspective, I kinda thought you were speaking of the odors of the sound proofing materials and the leather seats overcoming the outside air smells for a time?

And if that is not what you are saying, the my response is

"Oh, Ok"
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM

2001 E320 4-Matic
Loosely on topic... I have a 2010 E550 I picked up recently. It had a foul air-conditioning odor the dealer took care of with new filters and a duct cleaning/de-mustification process of some sort. However - overall, the interior still has the smell of what I'll describe as 'old-man clothes closet' smell. Since I've only had the car since mid-February, wondering if it's the wool carpet and general climate dampness? Should the interior filter on recirculate manage this? Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Are you sure it wasn't flood damaged before you bought it? Look at the tools in the trunk to see if they're rusted. Lift the carpeting in the cabin and look for signs of rust and water damage. The air conditioning will eventually dry it out but if it's bad it would be a good idea to run a large fan through the interior with the doors open. Also, sometimes the AC water vent can get clogged or routed wrong and dump the water inside the car instead of outside as it should.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 AM

Mercedes product
i would be concerned about mold growth. water's getting in somewhere.

mb's treatment is to spray a sealant inside of the HVAC system & duct-work and replace the cabin interior filters.

the mb tex and plastic inside mb cars is also related to interior air quality.

outside filtering of exhaust fumes is poor. it may be more noticable to some owners. if you're sensative to odors, or have allergies you will be much more acute to this issue.

if you smoke a pack a day, you probably won't pick up on the odor. if you don't , you are more apt.

one thing to watch if you complain about odors, that there is a commercially available "odor bomb" that your dealer can use in your car to try and get rid of odors. i would ask your dealer if they use such a chemical to try and get rid of odors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cabin filter....