New Owner - A Few Questions - Steering Wheel & Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
New Owner - A Few Questions - Steering Wheel & Performance

Hi All-

Just put a deposit down on a Iridium Silver E350 with Sport Package and Premium 1.

OK, so I really love the sport steering wheel, but the car I bought had the option of the leather / wood wheel. The car is coming in on Tuesday, so I didn't get to see the interior.

So, my question is, will it be the sport style wheel but with wood on it, or will it be the 4 pronged steering wheel. If so, ugh, and I may be interested in a trade if anyone wants to do a swap with the wood wheel.

Also, it says that it has the brown wood accents on the interior.. Another spec sheet didn't specify wood accents, would that car have had the black wood accents by default on sport package? Just wondering.

Last thought is performance. It doesn't seem to be a turbo engine, so is there any chip that greatly improves horsepower/throttle response? If so, would love to hear what it does, and the numbers it produces as well as costs.

I debated long and hard on irridium vs palladium, and palladium just looked a little too grey for my take. The sport package with tinted windows on the irridium just looked really clean and tight.

Looking forward to the car, and the community..

Thx all!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Welcome, your car is sport package but not by means of AMG and it's equivalent to Avantgarde .So, it should be 3 spoke steering wheel not 4 .
There are normally two types of 3 pronged steering wheel . One is just top and bottom are round , the other bottom cut AMG version .

I posted a topic : Steering Wheel Change, you should check it out if you like
My assumption is from your post you picked a car off the dealers lot rather than special order .
Either color is nice , I was torn between Palladium and Black too .
For performance , I have heard of Spring booster kits but can't speculate on it . There are kinda costly Calrsson, Renntech , Brabus kits available at your disposal too .
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
The sport package wheel should be three-spoke all leather with a flat bottom. If it has the wood/leather steering wheel, it's a four-spoke wheel. The car most likely has the standard wood trim.

The V6 has plenty of pep - 302 hp is the same as for my V-8 powered 2004 E500 so the E350 is no slug. I wouldn't fool around with performance enhancements until the warranty runs out. And speaking of warranty, if you plan to keep the car, consider buying the M-B extended warranty.

Last edited by pdjv; 02-09-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The new 3.5 DI engine has plenty of power. Being naturally aspirated, the performance gains from "chipping/tuning" are minimal and not likely to yield a gain that you would feel. With turbo motors, boost can be raised which give far greater returns. I recently had a 2013 E350 4Matic as a loaner and was very impressed with its performance. Very nice exhaust note at higher revs. Have you actually driven the car?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
You know your right, the car did seem like it could really go.. I'm not trying to race it, I just always like to know if an chip is available to improve performance somewhat.