E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Radio wont shut off and car won't lock???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Radio wont shut off and car won't lock???

Well, yesterday my wife went to take care of some errands and she called me from the parking lot of a store telling me that the radio won't shut off when she gets out of the car. I ask her to try a bunch of things like making sure that the door was closed when she shut of the ignition, locking the doors with the touch pad on the handle (it has keyless go) and the fob etc and we find out that the car won't lock either!

She sat there for a while talking through things and then tried one more time to lock the car with the fob and it magically worked. She then proceeds to drive to a few more places and each time, same thing,,, radio won't shut off etc. At the third place the radio never eventually shut off.

She gets home and I start fiddling around and nothing! I eventually shut off the command system entirely, but the damn thing wouldnt lock, and god knows what other electronics are still on! I tried both keys, locking from the central locking inside the car, rolling down the windows and reaching in, nothing. I couldn't even push down the door pin on the dirvers door. After about 20 min of frustration I decided to let it sit for a while. After another 20 min, the key fob appeared to work. However, on closer inspection I noticed that the drivers door wasn't locked.

I am thinking the door sensor isn't working and the car thinks the door never actually opens hence the disallow on the locks... Has anyone else seen this or anything remotely similar? Any thoughts?

We have an appt this evening to drop it off, but she had to drive in to work (thank god the battery wasn't dead) today.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
No idea. Just wanted to let you know that little pad is not for locking the door. It's to roll up the windows and close the sunroof. You can touch the handle anywhere on the outside to lock. Even a hip check will lock it if your hands are full!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ttoE550
No idea. Just wanted to let you know that little pad is not for locking the door. It's to roll up the windows and close the sunroof. You can touch the handle anywhere on the outside to lock. Even a hip check will lock it if your hands are full!
Tanks, I'll give both (touching anywhere and using the pad to roll em up) a try. I always thought that you needed to use the infrared on the fob to roll up the windows.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
By strange coincidence something similar happened to my 2010, but only once.

Last week I did replaced windshield and dealer did some updates. Have you been to dealer lately?

One more strange issue I have noticed:
If I do full screen map and then do "Zoom out" - map wont stay at same scale: few seconds later Navi for some reason "Zooms itself in"...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by gres817
By strange coincidence something similar happened to my 2010, but only once.

Last week I did replaced windshield and dealer did some updates. Have you been to dealer lately?

One more strange issue I have noticed:
If I do full screen map and then do "Zoom out" - map wont stay at same scale: few seconds later Navi for some reason "Zooms itself in"...
Not really, but a few months ago they updated my command sw for something and the update caused other problems. Specifically I get intermittent "no audio". there is a TSB for this indicating the dealer should back out the last update which they didn't do, and I still have the issue. I was going to take it back in at a good time for me, but then my new issue just came up which made me take it in this evening.

I haven't seen the auto zoom out issue though.

Did you ever figure out what caused the similar to what I am seeing issue?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
I was gonna ask about turning off the radio w/o opening the driver's door lol
Well, with the key removed radio should turn off immediately .Try this , take the ENGINE button off and give it a try . You don't need to open driver's door to get the radio to switch off

With ENGINE button is in its place , press the button once and open the driver's door , radio should switch off . I haven't tried it specifically to see whether the system switches off the radio only if you open the driver's door .I will try it today with other doors and report back here for you
I don't think you have a problem with the doors

As for the keyless go pad , even with my gloves are on it locks / unlocks the doors . The system is so sensitive

Another thing just come across my mind , your cell phone may interfere with your key's frequency , sounds like a far fetched idea but I remember reading something like this before . I think it's in the Owners Manual and recommend don't let your phone sit by the key . However, mine never proves a problem although I put these in my pocket or door storage area

Last edited by BenzV12; 03-05-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the comments Benz, we dropped her off at the dealer yesterday eve so we'll see what they say so I can't try taking out the button. I noticed the keyless go pads work with gloves, it is actually a pretty good system, especially with your hands full.

The issue is probably not related to RF interference or individual keys. It happens pretty regularly (at least since Sunday) in different locations and I tried both keys without any cell phones nearby. You just know though that when the tech tries it today it won't happen for him.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
No problem , as I promised today earlier in my post , with the Engine button in it's place , I pressed the button once and let the ignition and other fancy instruments came on .I opened the passenger's side door and it didn't switch off anything . As soon as I opened the driver's door , all the things went black in the Comand screen
Hopefully, everything will be found and fixed asap in your case . At least, one possibility was ruled out on the RF interference
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Well, I heard back from my dealer. The drivers door lock was disconnected and they re-attached. Not sure how, but it didn't work before the fix and now it does - we'll see about whether they addressed the cause or not. They have a SB about the radio (they think it is software) but they are waiting on a fix from MBusa as they couldn't get the correct version.

They are keeping it another day for the software and they are replacing the drivers and passenger's door windows and guides because of the wonderful up 1" down 3"s when its cold issue that has be bugging me since we bought the car.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mg3
radio stays on cant lock the car

hey my wife had this same problem all that plus the parking lights stayed on, called the dealer to have a look and they couldnt look at it for over a month, great service seemed great when we were handing over the money for the two cars we bought.. anyway so i got home did a thorough che k of all electrical switches including doors, as i was doing that my wife noticed and pulled out the charging cord from the lighter and bang she got it. maybe the portable charger we were charging was feeding back into the electrical system, it shouldnt happen, no, but it did, must get this looked at, maybe needs a relay, just goes to show how cheap these cars are made, other than that, yes the motor does fluctuate and it is a little noisy while travelling at 60kph, but its comfortable and gets us from a to b, overall a great car for the money