E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Rear View Camera/Command Screen Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear View Camera/Command Screen Issue

For some reason when I go in reverse, there will be like a skinny glitchy line... This is happening quite often and isn't in a particular spot.... sometimes on the left, sometimes in the middle, on the right, etc.... Does anyone know ANYTHING to fix this because its driving me nuts and i already have an appointment with a shop to install a VIM kit and obviously cant go to Mercedes Service with the VIM kit without voiding my warranty... Somone please come to my rescue... I'm running out of ideas. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Yes, infuriating, but small stuff compared to some other glitches.

And, seems to be related to bright sun on the lens when it first fires up, in my experience.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 AM

so in your opinion its nothing they can really do? just a reaction to the sun?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by Anthony Louis
so in your opinion its nothing they can really do? just a reaction to the sun?
No opinion --- just relating my experience.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I don't have any such problem with my camera, but I know a bit about photographic lighting. Since it moves around, it could be, as said, a direct reflection of a light, such as the sun (a specular reflection). These can do weird things to images. Based on the placement of your camera, it could be something on your bumper, your license plate, your license plate holder, etc. while paying attention to safety, you might have someone stand between the camera and ant light source (the sun) and see if it goes away. If it does, then you have to track down what is reflecting the light. You can then try to block the reflection (gobo in photography) or cover the surface with no reflective material. Otherwise, I don't know.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I too have experienced that issue. I believe it is just related to glare. I have, however, had a the screen go entirely black at times, when reverse is engaged. The dealer tells me it is a software issue. They updated the software last year and it did not fix the problem. They tried to update it at my 30K service but the update failed. I will have them do it again next visit.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM

thank you so much everyone for your input... I would still like to hear a few more opinions or facts if there out there