Navigation help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Navigation help

New to MB, have a question on navigation.

The salesman told me the navigation is suppose to mute the radio/cd etc when navigation is speaking. However on my car it doesn't seem to be doing that. I've gone through all the menus and can't seem to find anything to set it to do that.

Even my 14 year old BMW's navigation mutes any audio source when the navigation system is talking.

Anyone know for sure it will work this way and can suggest how to set it up? thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
There is a button in the settings for Navi that will *lower* the volume, but not mute AFAIK. I am out of my car, so if this doesn't work I can try later or someone will correct it. First, navigate to Navi. Then, I think, click on Navi again with the Comand button and you should see a pop up list that includes something like Settings. Scroll to and click on that. Then you should see a bunch of boxes, one of which is something like Dynamic Volume Control or something. Click on that to put a check mark in it. That should lower your cd volume when Navi speaks.

I don't like it, so mine is turned off.

You can also turn the volume of Navi up by turning up the volume while she is speaking. This will not affect the volume of whatever else is on. If you missed what she said, click RPT (repeat) and you can adjust the volume while she is talking. You can mute her too. To unmute, hit RPT as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the cd will mute when you are on the phone. Also, if for example you just got in the car and it's steaming hot and the AC is blasting away, answering a phone call will turn the AC down really low and it will get really hot in the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. I have that option checked, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When navigation starts talking the radio is still just as loud as it was when navigation isn't talking.

Sometimes it makes it hard to hear the directions.

I can't believe in a $65k car they don't have something as simple as muting the audio when navigation is talking working right.

some may say talk to the salesman.... Well sales folks know less about how to operate these vehicles then you guys on the forum. (took mine a good half hour to figure out how to fold up and down the 3rd row seats in the wagon).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by thenew3
Thanks. I have that option checked, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When navigation starts talking the radio is still just as loud as it was when navigation isn't talking.

I can't believe in a $65k car they don't have something as simple as muting the audio when navigation is talking working right.

some may say talk to the salesman.... Well sales folks know less about how to operate these vehicles then you guys on the forum. (took mine a good half hour to figure out how to fold up and down the 3rd row seats in the wagon).
if your car is new (or you are paying for mbrace)....use the mBrace button and ask for technical assistance. They should be able to help you while you are sitting in your car.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ghstudio
if your car is new (or you are paying for mbrace)....use the mBrace button and ask for technical assistance. They should be able to help you while you are sitting in your car.
Good idea, I'll give it a try and see what they say. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 631 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine

My car is a 2010 model and in my car it works by adjusting the volume while the NAVI speaks using the volume knob IN THE CENTER CONSOLE. Using the buttons on the steering wheel do not help.

As the NAVI speaks I set the volume with the center console knob. It must be a pre-set volume difference in the system but as I set it lower then also the radio or other media gets lower behind the NAVI speak.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
I just had this problem the other day. Except my music would mute while navi was directing. Opposite of what you have. The music muting irritated me.

In navigation "mode" setting, scroll down to "audio fadeout", check it and the music will mute.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audio fadeout is checked but it doesn't to anything. I've tested it both checked and unchecked but the behavior is the same.

Contacted mbrace yesterday, they were even more clueless than the dealer.

Called service adviser, he said to bring it in sometime and show him.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM

2015 GL450
Random thought: I have a vague recollection that this is part of the Logic 7 cr*p (sorry, don't like). It might be possible that Logic 7 is turned off in your system. This is in a different part of Comand, maybe under the System menu? It's the same area with fade, balance, treble, bass, etc. If Logic 7 is off, try turning it on to see if audio fade in Navi works.

Edit x2: if Logic 7 is off, my hat's off to the previous owner for realizing how bad it sounds.

Edit: terrible spelling

Last edited by ttoE550; 05-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I looked through the menus, the only place I can see to turn logic 7 on/off is in radio settings and CD settings. nothing in the navigation menus have a logic 7 on/off setting.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 PM

2015 GL450
I looked through the menus, the only place I can see to turn logic 7 on/off is in radio settings and CD settings. nothing in the navigation menus have a logic 7 on/off setting.
I am quite sure of my recollection now that the audio fade out of Navi is tied to Logic 7. Not that it is your problem, but that it might be. So I just checked. My car is upstairs and I am down, so going by memory. Go to Audio. At the bottom there is Sound. Click on Sound. This should bring up bass treble etc. you should see Surround. Click on it, and it should be clear whether Logic 7 is on or off. If off, the turn on and retry audio fade out. If on, then this was a waste of time.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just went in the car to check it out. Logic 7 is turned on in the audio setting menu.... Mystery continues.....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM

2015 GL450
Just went in the car to check it out. Logic 7 is turned on in the audio setting menu.... Mystery continues.....
There was a recent poster who said that turning on/off Logic 7 made no difference in the sound. Is this true for you? In my case, Logic 7 on sounds like everything is coming from a "center channel" speaker, whereas off the sound is more spread out (albeit at a lower volume). If there is not a noticeable difference in sound, maybe your problem is with Logic 7 and not Navi.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ttoE550
There was a recent poster who said that turning on/off Logic 7 made no difference in the sound. Is this true for you? In my case, Logic 7 on sounds like everything is coming from a "center channel" speaker, whereas off the sound is more spread out (albeit at a lower volume). If there is not a noticeable difference in sound, maybe your problem is with Logic 7 and not Navi.
Tried turning logic 7 on/off this morning to test. It does sound different with it turned off vs on. I can't say I like or dislike either mode.
It seems logic 7 can be controlled for each audio source. For example if I turn logic 7 on for radio (FM) it is not on for CD, I have to manually turn it on for CD.

That got me thinking if there was a logic 7 setting for navigation audio. I couldn't find anything in any of the menus (either in nav mode or audio mode).

Going to have to play around with this some more and find a time to take it to the dealer to see if their service guy can make any sense out of it.

Thanks everyone! This has definitely been a learning experience.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So the car has been at the dealer for 2 days, they just called, they have opened case with MBUSA and are now being told by MBUSA it is a software bug. They are working on a fix but it may take months before they have a new firmware available.
Going to pickup the car this afternoon. Will have the software updated next time I bring it in for an oil change. Hopefully they'll have the new firmware by then.

So I wasn't going crazy, it is a bug in the system.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Did you ever get this figured out because I am having the same issue. I had a 2008 E350 and it worked perfectly but in my 2012 it does not work.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 315 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
they should replace your comand unit under warranty. there is no guarantee a fix will be available in that timeframe.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
I agree. It was in for service and I asked them to check it out and all they said was that I can adjust the navigation volume using the volume knob. Well I know that, but on page 74 of the command manual it clearly states that the radio volume will be lowered when the navigation speaks by checking the "audio fade out" box which I have checked. I'm going to tell them tomorrow that it still doesn't work and I'll see what they say.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Sport Sedan
Birds Eye Screen

Brand new to 2014 E350, love the looks, drive etc, but the Navi has me disappointed. This birds eye screen makes no sense to me, I'm looking for the flat screen that the streets around me stand out loud and clear and I can't make that happen, I see the streets around but, I truly feel I'm flying above.
Any way to bring a screen I mentioned above?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by gringo1264
Brand new to 2014 E350, love the looks, drive etc, but the Navi has me disappointed. This birds eye screen makes no sense to me, I'm looking for the flat screen that the streets around me stand out loud and clear and I can't make that happen, I see the streets around but, I truly feel I'm flying above.
Yes...I've changed it back and forth and I now have it on the 2D flat map. Sorry, don't remember how I did it, but it's in the manual.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 PM

2012 E350
Use comand to go to your Navi drop down menu, select map settings, map orientation. There you can change from Birds Eye to 3D to North Up 2D, etc.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM

E350 Sport Sedan
Navagation Help

Thank U both for the answer. I didn't see anything about 2D next to
always up. It works just fine. My other issue was, when I somehow positioned the car I could not get the X off the screen. Clicking around I pressed the NAVI on the dash and it goes away.
I think I'm good, thanks
Sal
Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 AM

2012 E350
Thank U both for the answer. I didn't see anything about 2D next to
always up. It works just fine. My other issue was, when I somehow positioned the car I could not get the X off the screen. Clicking around I pressed the NAVI on the dash and it goes away.
I think I'm good, thanks
Sal
When you say positioned the car, you mean that you moved the map around and you want to go back to your car's original position? If so, just press the back button on the left side of the comand knob. Sounds like the navi button works too, but the back button is a little more handy (no pun intended) if you're already on the click wheel. Don't worry, after a little while all the comand controls will start to feel second nature.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM

E350 Sport Sedan
Navigation help

Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM

2014 E350 Sport
Heres a little tip about navigation related to moving that cursor around the map...

go to navigation at the bottom right and select "enter destination" using the control knob to scroll down through the menu (clockwise rotation) to select the option named "using map". Just a tip a lot of times this option is hidden away untill you scroll down through the entire list.

The use the control knob up,down,left,right to select a location on the map where you would like the navigation to route you to. when you depress the knob upon the spot you want to be routed to it then gives you the address of where the crosshairs are.

This is valuable to me when i am in the middle of downtown and just want to get to a highway, my side of town, or a specific interssection i can easily locate on the map yet dont know the physical address to.