E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Report- Issues after Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Hey Kusp14, I just purchased a 2010 E550. Im at roughly 47K and have asked a similar question as to what happens after 50k/End of CPO warranty/End of Extended warranty that I purchased for $2,400.00 from the dealer.This is to extend what I'm assumming is a very limited warranty to 7 years total from date of service/130k miles. That sounds like a great deal if you are able to purchase 7 years further.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by lbgottlieb
I know I'm really more of a lurker than a poster, but holy crap, if reading this thread isn't a quick way to burn through brain cells, I don't know what is.....

If the OP even bothered to do a proper search, they would have learned that the MB extended warranty for years and mileage is retroactive to the car's in-service date. If the car was purchased new or CPO at a MB dealer, they are eligible to purchase the warranty from any dealer at any time so long as the car is currently under the original warranty. If they had done a search, they would have learned that there's a woman named Erin (I think) at a MB dealer in California who's selling the extended warranty over the phone for $1,700.

Now, if one chooses to blow good money on an after-market warranty (whose cost is bound to be close to if not at the $1,700 price-point), then they're the one who's going to learn the hard way. Good luck getting a MB dealer to cooperate with an aftermarket warranty company the way you want them to. They'll be paying possibly thousands of dollars to the dealer, and then waiting for the warranty company to send them a check (all the while giving them time to determine if the repair is truly covered in the warranty agreement). And wait - here's the funny part.....just wait for the warranty to be half-way expired only to discover that they're going out of business, and it'll cost just as much in legal feels to recoup their remaining warranty coverage.

There's nothing wrong with spending good money on a product that will need costly TLC somewhere down the line. Are there after-market warranty shops that might provide what the OP is describing, possibly. But I just don't get people who want to play with the big boys on the ultimate cheap. If it's too good to be true - it probably is.......
Thanks but I already did my research… I contacted Erin and Travis for quotes for the Mercedes Limited and got good prices, although like you said, 7 years from in service date which is only additional 3 years for me (not worth it and not enough time).

The aftermarket I'm planning on getting is the mercury platinum which is priced similar to what Travis and Erin quoted me. I understand nothing beats the mercedes limited, but for me it does not seem worth it for the short amount of coverage.

I have had AFTERMARKET warranties in the past, which have paid in FULL all my claims @ MERCEDES labors rates ($130/hour). Not too sure what bad experiences you have had.

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 06-12-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by stale-bread
Hey Kusp14, I just purchased a 2010 E550. Im at roughly 47K and have asked a similar question as to what happens after 50k/End of CPO warranty/End of Extended warranty that I purchased for $2,400.00 from the dealer.This is to extend what I'm assumming is a very limited warranty to 7 years total from date of service/130k miles. That sounds like a great deal if you are able to purchase 7 years further.
You got a good deal on the mercedes limited, at 47k its great coverage to have !
Yeah the 7 years additional is great, although I may not keep it that long, I do plan on keeping it for more then 3 years… which is the amount of time mercedes limited can give me.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
+1 Kusp14!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
Based on my earlier post it might appear that I'm trying to gang-up on the OP, to which I swear I'm really not. However I did come across some issues that Mercury Insurance seems to be having with some states' insurance departments:

Rip-Off Report: Mercury Insurance

ConsumerWatchdog: Mercury Insurance

10 Reasons Not to Trust Mercury Insurance

In all fairness, I do not regularly read from these websites at all, I merely found them via Google. If the OP has had good luck with them in the past, then I may owe the OP an apology - and I'm not above that. However it would appear that the states of California and Florida have had enough of Mercury Insurance. I also read that AAA was a broker/agent for Mercury, but that they no longer provide them as an insurance / warranty carrier.

Considering what I've found, I certainly wouldn't use any company with these types of reviews to warranty a $40k+ vehicle (used, that is......).

Anyone can save money on insurance in 15 minutes or less. It's what that insurance company does for you during a claim that really counts. YMMV.......
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
It's service that counts

Based on my earlier post it might appear that I'm trying to gang-up on the OP, to which I swear I'm really not. However I did come across some issues that Mercury Insurance seems to be having with some states' insurance departments:

In all fairness, I do not regularly read from these websites at all, I merely found them via Google. If the OP has had good luck with them in the past, then I may owe the OP an apology - and I'm not above that. However it would appear that the states of California and Florida have had enough of Mercury Insurance. I also read that AAA was a broker/agent for Mercury, but that they no longer provide them as an insurance / warranty carrier.

Considering what I've found, I certainly wouldn't use any company with these types of reviews to warranty a $40k+ vehicle (used, that is......).

Anyone can save money on insurance in 15 minutes or less. It's what that insurance company does for you during a claim that really counts. YMMV.......
I learned a long time ago that with insurance it is what they do when you have a claim that counts. Never how much the premiums are! Same with an extended warranty.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads

Every warranty company/ Insurance company will have negative stuff on the internet because people don't post when things go right.. there will always be some bad comments.

As a warranty perspective, I have read and heard positive things from Mercedes, Bmw, and Audi owners when they had to file a claim with mercury.

No aftermarket is ever the "best" so it is always a kind of risk.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by Kushp14
Every warranty company/ Insurance company will have negative stuff on the internet because people don't post when things go right.. there will always be some bad comments.

As a warranty perspective, I have read and heard positive things from Mercedes, Bmw, and Audi owners when they had to file a claim with mercury.

No aftermarket is ever the "best" so it is always a kind of risk.
I'd suggest that you call Mercury back and ask them this question

"If I buy the 7 year /75k mile warranty for my 2010 MB today, when will it expire?" Ask for a specific date and don't take "7 years" for an answer - you'll be surprised.

I got a date in 2017 when I called. That fits with what is written on their website

Mercedes extended warranty is a solid choice and can cover your car for up to 7 years, or 100,000 miles. However, autoPOM! Mechanical Breakdown Protection, backed and administered by Mercury Insurance Group, offers comparable coverage with more flexibility and substantially lower cost than dealer pricing.

These guys are a bunch of shysters like other aftermarket companies.

Last edited by CEB; 06-13-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by CEB
I'd suggest that you call Mercury back and ask them this question

"If I buy the 7 year /75k mile warranty for my 2010 MB today, when will it expire?" Ask for a specific date and don't take "7 years" for an answer - you'll be surprised.

I got a date in 2017 when I called. That fits with what is written on their website

Mercedes extended warranty is a solid choice and can cover your car for up to 7 years, or 100,000 miles. However, autoPOM! Mechanical Breakdown Protection, backed and administered by Mercury Insurance Group, offers comparable coverage with more flexibility and substantially lower cost than dealer pricing.

These guys are a bunch of shysters like other aftermarket companies.
After all, it is additional 7 years.
Attached Thumbnails Report- Issues after Factory Warranty-screen-shot-2013-09-05-11.56.47-pm.png