E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Can 7.1 Harman Kardon be improved?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 (sold) 2012 E350 4M
Well I found out yesterday that the biggest rattle in the door by far is the plastic door pins. Anyone else notice how loud the rattle/vibration is from those things. Im wondering if the metal pins would be any better...
Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by rchase
Most the BMW lineup has HK. Im sure everyone in here knows someone with a 335, go listen to the HK in a 335 and it will upset you at how bad the BMW HK blows the MB HK away.

The overall components are probably very similar. The issue, in my opinion, comes from the manufacturer. BMW seems to has put more effort into the sound system in the 335i for example. Rather than 1 sub on the rear shelf, they placed 2 subs under the 2 front seats. This allows for less shelf rattle and is just a better placement for a bass driver.
I totally agree, I just traded in my BMW 535i with the HK system and the BMW's HK system blows the MB's HK system away. The power output is similar, but the bass and volume is much louder in the BMW. The MB's HK system tends to buzz at high volume and the bass is much weaker.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM

2012 W212 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by rchase
Well I found out yesterday that the biggest rattle in the door by far is the plastic door pins. Anyone else notice how loud the rattle/vibration is from those things. Im wondering if the metal pins would be any better...
Chase, if you are talking about the clips that secure the door panels in place then do what I did - the electric tape mod! I simply placed electric tape around each of the orange retaining clips so they will not wiggle in the black retention brackets. If you are talking about replacing the door lock knobs, order these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...Ca3llQ&vxp=mtr

Unscrew the front ones and screw the new ones in. Use pliers (don't worry, they pop right out) to remove the rear lock knobs and then place the metal ones in their place and apply pressure with a narrow rod, preferably something with rubber on the end, until the lock knobs are recessed in the door and make a click sound... Now press the unlock button and they will return to their correct height.

As far as the sound system is concerned.. warning about the Dynamat mod - my mids and lows now overwhelm the high-end and while my system has more "punch," vocals sound really weak. I'd like to replace the A pillar speakers with something that's easily interchangeable but I'm not sure I'll notice any difference unless I send more wattage via a more powerful amp.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM

2004 E55 (sold) 2012 E350 4M
Those are great ideas. What I was talking about is the actual door pin. They all rattle SOOO bad at certain frequencies. For the time being I just shrinkwrapped some rubber at the top of the pin so it sits flush in the door when locked and doesn't have wiggle room. Such a huge difference after. I'll add pics.

Also did you find a big improvement with the dyno mat? If it's worth it I may dive into that today. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Carpenter Maass
Chase, if you are talking about the clips that secure the door panels in place then do what I did - the electric tape mod! I simply placed electric tape around each of the orange retaining clips so they will not wiggle in the black retention brackets. If you are talking about replacing the door lock knobs, order these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...Ca3llQ&vxp=mtr

Unscrew the front ones and screw the new ones in. Use pliers (don't worry, they pop right out) to remove the rear lock knobs and then place the metal ones in their place and apply pressure with a narrow rod, preferably something with rubber on the end, until the lock knobs are recessed in the door and make a click sound... Now press the unlock button and they will return to their correct height.

As far as the sound system is concerned.. warning about the Dynamat mod - my mids and lows now overwhelm the high-end and while my system has more "punch," vocals sound really weak. I'd like to replace the A pillar speakers with something that's easily interchangeable but I'm not sure I'll notice any difference unless I send more wattage via a more powerful amp.

You'll see that small ring of shrinkwrap up top. I can not tell you the night and day difference. What an amazing cheap fix.

Locked sitting flush.