Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by ImInPA
If I had to rate this thread: 0/10
Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
is K-A now banned from this section too ????
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by petee1997
It really pisses you off that they liked the car. The ride is no harsher than those run flats from BMW. I know, I've had a few. K-A you are no longer objective, why don't you do your postings on the BMW enthusiasts sight with like minded people.

Most of us here would be driving a BMW if that's what we wanted. We are driving MBs because that is our first choice.

We have all read your opinions. Why keep boring us with the same thing ad nauseum. Move on, please move on. So many of us are tired of reading your drivel.
You are banned from one sight and the guys on the new generation S class (W222) have asked you to leave. There is nothing you can add here since you no longer drive an MB.

Those from this forum that like your opinions can read them on the BMW forum.
I know it's hard for fanboys to hear the truth, so censorship becomes your only argument. I don't care one way or another whether they did or didn't like the car, I've driven plenty so I know exactly how good it is. Fact is the suspension dynamics need major help and I've been saying this since I had mine (READ up before you verbally attack: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ugh-roads.html). Magazine clearly revealed that as well. The E is the harshest car (over *rough roads) in its class which is where the problem lies. BMW might use run flats but the car is still smoother and handles better which is my exact argument. In a realm of fanboy wars I might be saying this to **** people off, in real life I'm saying this on the subject at hand, disregarding that this is Mercedes forum. If I were you guys I would pound the table too and not let Mercedes get away with that.

If you were to cease from being my obsessive stalker hurling ad hominem remarks towards everything I say like some crazy Mercedes defender then you would realize everything I've said here I said back in 2010 in 2011 in 2012. You'd also realize I wasn't the first one who brought up the 5 series, somebody else brought that into conversation so go barking up their tree.. unless you want me to lie and pretend the truth is the other way around simply because this is a Mercedes forum.

Originally Posted by drz
I'm new here and K-A has over 9000 posts, but I find it odd how he constantly rips the E Class and praises the 5 series here on a E-Class forum.

I'm a long time BMW owner, my first BMW was a 1975 2002 model purchased in 1975. I have owned over 20 BMW's and this is my first Benz.

I refused to buy another BMW do to the EXTEMELY poor electric streering.
It is totally dead center feel, and so loose that if you turn your head the car will track that way. Not to mention the driff to the right problem that 90% of the new 5's have that BMW can't fix.

I didn't buy my 2014 E-Class to be a sports car , as I have a M6 for that.
I felt the E-Class gave me the proper blend of luxury and sportiness, in a well sorted car, without the addition of a 3k plus option like the M suspenion package.

Not trying to start a fuss, but there is always two sides to each story.

DR.Z
What I find odd is how those like you or Petee come into threads making sweeping statements or generalizations, and then huff and puff if one dares actually dissect said statements and provide an objective/personal experience based argument of it. Care to discuss the topic or are you just hoping that because this is a Mercedes board we mustn't speak how we really feel if it doesn't push the good word of "Da Benz". If you didn't want to engage in a conversation about it, why bring up the 5 Series especially when you well know one of this forums most active members actually has one? Because where I'm from that's called "troll baiting". And of course, Petee acted the trusty wingman.

As for your take on the 5 Series, they're every bit as valid as mine, that's why it's a "discussion". There's really no right or wrong, I don't get how some people don't get that. FYI the electric steering was vastly improved for 2013 models and the "drift to right" issue is long gone, no new 5's suffer from it. And no, me simply saying that doesn't mean I'm shoving the 5-Series down anyones throat! Lol.

Last edited by K-A; 07-22-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by alsyli
Why in the world would an auto mag test the "non-sporty" version of the car? Why in the world would they examine the car the way most drivers will use it? For them (esp C&D), firm (to the point of harshness) is always better. ::eye roll::

I still remember how no car mag mentioned how (unacceptably) harsh the ride of a sport-package 3-series was until the new 3-series came out w/ its softer suspension. Nope, it was always, we love the sports package! It's only a little firmer than the regular suspension! Don't be a p*ssy and get a 3-series w/o it! ::shrug::

Guess a little of wine and food will make automotive journalists tow the company line....

We had a 328i (last gen) w/ the regular suspension. Didn't objectively handle any better than our C-classes, but, subjectively, the ride/handling compromise was brilliant (even w/ the run flats) and the steering was near perfection. I think people who say that C-class was anywhere close to the last-gen 3-series are completely off their rocker (car mags included).

And yet the car needed those positive b/c it simply wasn't a very good *car* otherwise (horrible ergonomics, fritz-y electronics). W/o those characteristics, there's no point, IMHO, to getting a BMW (except for the 6-series, which is absolutely gorgeous).... Just as there's no point in buying an MB that doesn't have class-leading ride and stability at highway speeds. ::shrug::

Of course, I always blame the moronic buying public, since I see a ton of sport-package equipped 3-series running around. Again, if you put "sport" on something, that must *clearly* make it superior. I remember when I test drove the 2008 C300, I asked for luxury model. The salesman said, "That's more for old people." Uh, okay....
Once again you nailed it. BMW forums are full of kicking and screaming purists who hate the isolation of the new cars and loss of sporty crown. MB forums if with as many passionates involved should be full of kickers and screamers of MBs loss of comfort crown.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by alsyli
Here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

Interesting that even the people at Car & Driver think the E350 sport has a harsh ride. Still, they seemed to think the refreshed E is an improvement (not that I've ever taken much stock in their opinion).

BTW, the E's w/o leather seats have really cheap looking door-panel inserts....
Yes the review opinion is correct - I have a 2011 E350 Bluetec sport trim, the ride is very rough for a sedan. Uncomfortable, in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Here is the original post of mine from that thread I linked to above. It is from 4/18/2011 when I had my FIRST W212, a 2010, 2 months before I traded it for a 2011 which I had the SAME suspension impressions on after the initial break in period (it had even more rattles). So Petee can put away that superstition to coddle his comfort zone that one MUST have a bias in order to dare have negative impressions from the holy Star:

Originally Posted by K-A on 4/18/2011
I am aware that I have the Sport Package (and thanks to MBUSA, even if I wanted a Luxury Package, it's almost impossible to find), and I will pick a Sport every time, for its aesthetic qualities to my eyes.

But it shouldn't be unheard of to engineer an *E-Class*'s suspension to sit slightly low, and ride relatively firm, yet still absorb bumps and ride well when the going gets rough (yes I know, "Airmatic" is probably the cure, but you shouldn't have to go Air-Ride to get those qualities).

On smooth roads, this car rides brilliantly. Strong as an Ox, and has just enough "float" to keep things nice and smooth, but firm and tight as well, so you know it can handle some pushing, if need be. However, when the roads get bumpy and rough (and they do, in todays ravaged roads era), it rides like crap. Completely bumpy, lots of road chatter, lots of putting the structure to the test. It's unbefitting of an E-Class when you have to cringe when rough roads are on the way. My Chevy Malibu absorbs rough roads much better.

I'm under 30, and not too long ago, had a slammed Mustang GT with a 15" subwoofer and a no-muffler exhaust setup, so I can imagine that the general E demographic won't find this too kindly either. I think that MBUSA is shoving out the Sport Package as a free option to get the popping-smoke factor going, and gain sales, but I have a feeling that this may diminish Sales in the long run, as much of the E demographic will want something less fussy over rough patches, and something that won't bend rims so commonly, etc.

I will say, this is the #1 and virtually only thing that I am unhappy with about my car (aside from an annoying chatter/squeak at idle, which I need to get the Dealer to hopefully find and fix), enough so that it makes me question whether I'd want to keep it for the long haul (if I did buy it out after the Lease).

Note to M-B: The concept of a Sport suspension is to make a car handle like a Sports Car, which an E-Class appropriately doesn't do. Engineering a suspension TO RIDE HARSHLY ONLY FOR THE SAKE OF RIDING HARSHLY does *NOT* make a car "Sporty".

Sorry for the long post, had to rant!

Oh, and I will add: My AMG Sport Packaged W211 rode similar, but worse (the W212 keeps the same "Sport" concept, but improves it all around pretty well). The only thing the W212 does worse is I hear slightly more wheel-chatter when going over rough patches, but minimal.
The thread got well over 200 replies with similar sentiments. Clearly there's a problem here (just read above for other members' impressions as well).
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Just maybe you are starting to get it, K-A. You dislike criticism. Duh!!! You have criticized MB cars since you got your BMW. You have a right to do that. We now know what you think but do we have to hear it over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Isn't that boring? More of us should harass you until you cease and desist. The W222 forum is not putting up with your BS.

There is something seriously wrong with someone with over 9000 posts on just one forum. You need to find a girlfriend and get a life.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by petee1997
Just maybe you are starting to get it, K-A. You dislike criticism. Duh!!! You have criticized MB cars since you got your BMW. You have a right to do that. We now know what you think but do we have to hear it over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Isn't that boring? More of us should harass you until you cease and desist. The W222 forum is not putting up with your BS.

There is something seriously wrong with someone with over 9000 posts on just one forum. You need to find a girlfriend and get a life.
It's a sad state of one to resort to criticizing someone especially probably more than half their age because of the subject of cars. I already proved your "agenda conspiracy" wrong so with no argument left, you attack "my" character. I have more than you know my friend, and I can still generate over 9,000 posts on one single forum. Just 'cause you can't, doesn't mean I can't.

Maybe one day you can discuss CARS and not the people behind opinions. This forum isn't very busy and repetition isn't an issue when it comes to reappearing subjects.

And it's funny you keep saying "they don't like it over here/there" as if you're the little playground bully who can't fight his own fights, so tries egging others on to do your dirty work for you. I've been a part of the W222 forum conversations just fine, we've been talking W222, some love it, some like it, some may not, that's the nature of a forum (you come there to talk about me, lol).

Get over it. Talk cars. You think the E's suspension is smooth over rough patches? Then I disagree.

Last edited by K-A; 07-22-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Since I can't combine the best from both worlds, I ended up having both in my garage
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by instantfob
Since I can't combine the best from both worlds, I ended up having both in my garage
And this post wins the thread.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by instantfob
But w/ the active hybrid! For shame. =( and Haven't looked at the specs, but I imagine the added weight would help ride but not handling.

Do wish that one of the german makes would import a diesel hybrid, but I realize that only like 10 people would buy one.... Or a diesel C-class wagon? Yes, I know, that's total fantasy, as well. But one can dream.... =)

Can I at least look forward to a stitched MB-tex dash on the next C- and E-class? I'm assuming that since the CLA now has one as an option that it's a done deal.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 AM

/\ I am a sucker for new technology toys.... To me it's a 535i with E-Boost and discounted insurance because it's a "hybrid" just like the E400 hybrid.

I wish I can fit into a C-class since the dealers are giving them away at 320 bucks a month, but I am ready to try the sport wagon since it's growing on me.

Picture taken at Keyes European LLC
Attached Thumbnails C&D test of the E350 4matic-ewagon.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Cut off the IMO incoherently soft and doughy front and that is seriously one of the hottest Wagons ever, maybe the only "hot" Wagon I've ever seen. The side view (everything from the front door and back) looks stunning.

Last edited by K-A; 07-23-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er

Last edited by E Classy; 03-18-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by E Classy
lol, it at least bubbled up to a 2/10.

imo, i don't have issue with KA posts, but also find them pointless/useless to MB owners perspective. it's good discussion, but also can be annoying to w212 owners who don't care about f10 bmw's. i certainly wouldn't buy an f10 no matter what the magazines or owners have to say about them. period.

As a long time MB owner who "crossed over" to BMW, I find his post useful.

One always has to understand that one defends what one currently owns and one has a tendency to put down what one previously owned.

Mr, I won't own another BMW in the US unless BMW fixes their dealer network and takes responsibility for failing to test cars here in the US before promoting cutting edge technology.

That's me and my perspective of the truly bad dealers that BMW has.

this is solely my perspective, and i'm not making any accusations, but knowing how KA got his f10 coupled with his power-user status on car forums, i would not be the slightest bit surprised if his presence here is part of his dealings with bmw distribution and community channels. it wouldn't be the first time internet forums have been used to persuade others and initiate eventual transactions.

Horsemanure
Not everyone agrees with posts but to go so far as to say that K-A is a shill for BMW is absurd.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM

BMW 5er

Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
Having had both the f10 and w212 I can validate K-A's points about the suspension, harshness etc. The suspension on w212 sport, unless driven on silky smooth tarmac is pretty uselss as it does not provide any sporty capabilities yest transfer more bone jarring hits to the body compared to other sport competitors like f10.

Yes he has been a little too excited about his f10, but who is not when they first get a new vehicle?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 'E550
Well, one thing is for sure....no way the sport suspension in the E is any more harsh than the suspension in the M56 I have.

Personally, its doesn't bother me.

Though, going with airmatic in the E550, price is reasonable enough to add it.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM

I am fine with having Frequency Selective Damping (AGILITY CONTROL) dampers in the sport trim. It's good enough to take it on spirited drives and comfortable on smooth roads. It's a lot cheaper than using expensive AirMatic and ABC system. However the roads of Los Angeles are so pitted that only Citroen DS can make it comfortable.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CEB
Not everyone agrees with posts but to go so far as to say that K-A is a shill for BMW is absurd.
Lol seriously. That's a first. I wish BMW paid me

If one looks at what pretty much everyone says about the E Sports harsh suspension dynamics and why I use the F10 as a comparison, I'm not trying to "sell" the BMW, I'm merely qualifying how I come to the conclusion of the E's suspension doing IMO nothing great when put to any kind of challenge VS a car who's suspension/chassis is otherwise, such as what T.H also pointed out and felt just above.

So everyone realizes, the conversation here as far as I'm oncerned is specifically about suspension/chassis dynamics, not "which car is better".
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM

BMW 5er

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
Lol seriously. That's a first. I wish BMW paid me

If one looks at what pretty much everyone says about the E Sports harsh suspension dynamics and why I use the F10 as a comparison, I'm not trying to "sell" the BMW, I'm merely qualifying how I come to the conclusion of the E's suspension doing IMO nothing great when put to any kind of challenge VS a car who's suspension/chassis is otherwise, such as what T.H also pointed out and felt just above.

So everyone realizes, the conversation here as far as I'm oncerned is specifically about suspension/chassis dynamics, not "which car is better".
K-A, just wondering when you had a 212 if the E sport was too harsh for you why didn't you choose the Luxury model?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by mbuster25
K-A, just wondering when you had a 212 if the E sport was too harsh for you why didn't you choose the Luxury model?
I can't speak for K-A, but unless you feel like ordering a car (and I was in a rush to get rid of my Accord that was falling apart), good luck finding a Luxury spec car (at least for W204s) in LA....
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mbuster25
Yeah basically what Alsyli said. It's not only insanely hard to find a Luxury Package but I also preferred the Sport Package styling. I also wanted tighter/better handling but realized after a while that the Sport suspension basically let me down (hence the above excerpt from the thread I started a couple of years ago on the subject).

With the facelifts Luxury and Sport models looking so different now and the Luxury having the Luxury grille exclusively on it, I actually might have selected one this time around, though things like ride height and smaller wheels would bug me.

All I ask is to have my cake and eat it too (sporty stance, relatively-larger-ish wheels, sports body cladding on an elegant/understated Luxury Car, smooth ride over all surfaces and great handling).

If I had my way, M-B would stop giving out their Sport package for free which is what has made it the common/ubiquitous/"generic" look for the car (while the Luxury model is more rare than a Ferrari these days). They'd charge $3-$4K for it like they used to, call it the "AMG Sport Package" again, which the "AMG" part they removed when they made it less intensive and free (I feel that they realized with the word "AMG" before it, it had to perform a certain way, and they didn't want to do that, therefore dropped the moniker from the package), and really made it a "SPORT" package, i.e it at least would be a sharp handler to go with the harsher ride. Or due to hypothetically-now charging for it, maybe could R&D the suspension more to be as smooth as it is over straight roads over rough roads as well whilst keeping its current floaty-handling (I have no problem with an E Class having floaty handling as it's an E CLASS, it's meant to be smooth, soft and floaty-ish, however if it's gonna have such floaty handling, it can't have a harsh suspension as well). I'd love for it to be truly sporty or if not, then the sporty styling without sporty ride is fine and dandy as long as the "sport" suspension doesn't sacrifice so much ride comfort.

My point is that it's gotta be good at something, right now IMO the suspension/chassis is good at nothing other than very smooth and straight surfaces where it is superb. My sentiments in this regard haven't changed one bit since I got a BMW. Everything I've said here is verbatim what I said while I had my W212's, with proof posted and linked above. I always said the *only* think I *hated* about my E's was the ride quality (aside from very smooth and straight roads) and suspension dynamics.

That's my take on it.

Last edited by K-A; 07-24-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM

E350
Originally Posted by K-A
As everyone here knows, I feel the suspension on my W212 "Sports" were horrible as the harshness transmitted into the cabin wasn't befitting of such an otherwise luxurious and smooth Sedan and worst of all, wasn't a cost of great handling.... as the car still floats and exaggeratedly sways through turns.... so what's the point of the harshness? To make you "feel" like you're in a "Sports Car" without getting the virtues? Very lowbrow, cheap method of engineering that's indeed the case.
Interesting point that I have thought a lot about in the past. Everyone knows that Mercedes has been trying to attract younger buyers and the no cost AMG type sport option has been a big part of their strategy. I found some interesting articles from Shaikh J Ahmad on The Truth About Cars - Suspension Truth #2: Sport Suspension.

I believe (just as I’m writing this) that car makers know they have very little time to close a sale, like a first impression. If they can’t get your attention to begin with, they won’t capture it with pretty brochures or slick commercial spots. Your test drive experience is what will likely sell a particular package.

The author maintains the position that manufactures design the Illusion of Performance (IoP) into their sport suspensions. And this IoP that is designed to convince buyers that their car is sporty, has unwanted handling and comfort consequences. The IoP provides the body with the sensation of activity - and the design of a damper with sharp edges - the body senses acceleration not velocity.

I want to make it very clear that 99% of all complaints of poor ride have to do with jacking down via excess rebound damping, potentially combined with frequent engagement of the front bump stops which gets worse due to excess rebound/jacking down.

I encourage everyone to read the article and watch the 2 videos (especially the second). Let me know what you think - but be prepared for concepts like 3-axis accelerometer results and shock dyno charts.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...f-performance/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C&D test of the E350 4matic